From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Linux
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:16:58 -0400

I'd like to say in the hope of not embarrasing myself that...
1. I like the bourne shell. It's the best thing since sliced bread ;-) blows
DOS away as every Linux here knows
2. I like the choice of GUIs especially gnome, KDE and AfterStep
3. I like running my cd player without X running if I choose
4. I like choosing what I want in my kernel
5. I like linux for doing work when stability is paramount
6. I can rip CDs without running X if I choose
7. I still like making batch scripts
8. I have the choice of mixing old school and new school ways
9. I like setting up an FTP server or a web server etc. for $0.00 (big
plus!)
and the most important reason?
10. I like the choice of running my computer any damn way I please! Even
(dare I say) Windows too when I want to play games! Yes, I run Micro$uck
stuff. at least if it crashes while playing a game, so what? Just don't ask
me to get Windows Me ;-)
I got the feeling that once Linux gets more mainstream and more of them
win-brainwashed users actually open their eyes and see what Linux is all
about and make an informed decision based not on cyber-political rhetoric
but on actually learning the thing, (It's not hard, just different really)
then they'll see what's the better OS. I say it's Linux hands down. Really
the only thing that Micro$uck has that's better than Linux is marketing
clout. Without it, they couldn't give Micro$uck stuff away and that's a
fact!
By the way, whoever said they couldn't give Linux away is sadly mistaken! I
paid $30 for my RedHat distribution. Best choice I've made! My expirence
installing it was a snap once I figured out how to divide my partitions in
the right sizes for me without wasting everything I have. I can't even get a
good Windows game cheaper than that!

p.s. Please note that I'm not even a unix guru and never claimed to be one.
3 months expirence with Linux, though and I already learned to do the same
basic things and more. How do I find a 12 step program to cure my Micro$uck
dependency? Can someone please tell me? I need help!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Why the Linonuts fear me
Date: 16 Oct 2000 07:32:06 GMT

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:27:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Why do my posts generate so much hate and semi-intelligent insults
>from the Linux world?
Its not the posts so much that make us fear you, oh Wintroll of nameless
aliases, its your smell ;-)

>Because you fear me that's why.
see above.

>Unlike the typical WinTroll, I actually use current versions of the
>software I am exposing. I have used every single distribution up to
>and including Mandrake 7.1 and with the exception of Slackware they
>all suck in one way or another.
>Sorry but it is true.
Who cares, I know it only took you a couple of years to get Linux going
but the bitching during that time, made it seem like 20!

>Why doesn't Slackware suck? Because it is not trying to be a half
>assed clone of Windows that's why. It is Linux, does not try to claim
>otherwise and stands on it's own for better or worse.
>I respect that. Slackware is Linux at it's best, like it or not, it is
>an honest attempt at the Linux philosophy  and I like that.
You know little about Linux "Steve/Amy/Heather/Keys88/etc"

>You yo-yo's are so caught up in your own pile of bullshit that you
>have not a clue as to what the rest of the world wants, needs or is
>asking for.
Whereas you do ?

>You think desktop users want Linux?
I do, Im a desktop user, Ive used Linux *full* time on this pc since 1997, no
DOS or Windows here, on any of our 3 pcs.

>Think again. You can't even give it away.
False.

>You think we want (taking Terry Porters list) Compilers, editors,
>schematic diagram thingies, flowchart programs? Think again.
No you want, Winows "Hearts" card games and anything else you can pirate.
(Its better if its stolen ?)

>Again you are a collective bunch of idiots with blinders on.
Un its "blinkers" over here, and get a move on, or ill have to whack ya with
the whip again ;-)

>Linux is free. Yet you can't even give it away.
Is there an echo in your Wintroll editor ?

>Linux has had a LOT of positive press in the last year.
So what ?

>Why is it not taking over the desktop?
Who says it isnt or wont ?
It took over my desktop, my sons desktop and the desktops of my friends years
ago.

>Seems to me, we Windows users invest a lot of money in software and a
>free system would be a plus for us?
Seems wrong, as you know your investment in Wincrap is lost, and you cant bear
it (oh the shame, the shame) :)

>So what's the deal?
Your dealing, so you tell us, cardsharp ?

>The deal is Linux sucks at 99 percent of what the average person wants
>or needs a computer to do.
"Steve" the mindreader ?
You said your self employed now ? When IBM resized you, did you use the
severance to buy a Tarrot pack and stool, and go into business as a fortune
teller ?

>You have half assed Windows clones that neither perfom as well nor
>have the features of the equivilant Windows programs. In some cases
>you don't have any equivilant at all (a decent browser).
"Steve" still hasnt heard about remote GUI, multiuser, stability ...

>You fear me, because I have the facts, have used Linux and have come
>to the same conclusion that legions of others have come to.
That the $50 per month from Bill is not so hard to tell porkies here ?

> Linux is
>nice, but Windows is better. I just choose to expose this Linux scam
>for what it is. A scam.
Hahaha, your nameless, factless and clueless "Steve/Heather/Amy/Keys88/etc"!

>So, unlike Terry Porter who got pissed off back in 1997 at Windows,
Nope, wrong again "Steve" TOTALLY WRONG!
I went to Linux to use the software ONLY available with Linux, and in doing
so discovered how I'd been hoodwinked by the white goods OS, known
as Windows.

>will continue to try current versions of Linux and Windows and maybe,
>just maybe, someday I will switch to Linux.
Honestly Wintroll, It doesnt matter what you do, but its fun refuting your
trollism on COLA :))

Keep up the mediocre work !

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:33:48 +0700

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Jerry L Kreps wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Pretty good don't cut it.
> >
> >It sucks and is even more bloated than MSOffice.
> >
> >claire
>
> In your opinion, of course.  Others, like myself, have a contrary view.
> I find SO equal to or exceeding the power of MS Word.  With Bill's greed
> reachig new bounds of impropriaty, more and more people may come to
> apprecieate SO.  And, when the OpenOffice.org project gets rolling I expect we
> will see nifty "unbloated" wp, spreadsheets, etc. from that group.

Your opinions are identical to me :)
(I find SO equal to or exceeding the power of MS Word)

regards,
zxc

------------------------------

From: "goober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:58:53 -0400

Gee Claire? You must have a corn cob up your ass or something.
Some of the people that develop applications for Linux usually do so on
their own time when they're not doing their day jobs and the only thing they
hope for in return is that people like the stuff they write. They're not
here to listen to all your ramblings on how something isn't up to your exact
specifications. They have lives, too. Since you have nothing positive to
contribute on how you would like Linux to be better or why you like
Microsoft software better in a positive way without pissing everybody in the
ng off maybe I should just report you to your ISP. Believe me, it's not hard
and I've done it before.
You could say...
I like Microsoft better because I can get children's software for windows so
my kids can learn. or...
I like Microsoft better because my 15 year old son want's to play Unreal on
his computer. or...
I like Microsoft better because I like to keep track of my finances with
something like Quicken and nothing like that on Linux exists etc...
Give these Linux guys some ideas on how to make their software make you
happy. Some of them will listen. Not all, but some will. Personally, I think
it's not that bad an idea having a cuddly penguin teach a child how to read,
do simple math, and even tell a bedtime story. I wouldn't want Bill Gates to
teach my kids how to be greedy and mean little bastards, that's for sure.
I'm not saying it's wrong to be upset at things because Linux can make me
get upset, too. No operating system or application is perfect in any way.
Bashing people and starting flame wars is wrong and I don't have to tolerate
it on my screen from anyone.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> douses everyone in flames with her totally
unintelligent message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 08:10:36 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:29:24 GMT, sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:02:18 -0500, "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >You really are a silly person. I'd wager that 99% of the people
>reading
>> >this newsgroup have more experience with Dos/Windows than you. It
>really
>> >is kind of dumb for you to blather on about how great "Windows" is to
>> >them.
>>
>> I doubt it. I go back well before DOS was a dollar sign in BG's eyes.
>
>Hey, being a card puncher hardly qualifys.
Hahahah, oh yeah, our Wintroll is really talking about "obsolete" technology
now. We are convinced "Steve/Heather/whoever" you rule in punchcard
technology, perhaps Windows will go back to it :)

Kind Regards
Terry
--
****                                              ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: David T. Johnson lies again
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:04:15 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

> I've already detailed his off-topic posts, his harassment and
> denigration of others, his ignorance of the newsgroup charter
> and violation of such

How incredibly ironic, coming from someone who both denigrates
others and routinely violates the newsgroup charter.

------------------------------

From: Nick Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:27:26 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is that the best you can do?
>
> claire

Sorry Claire, I'm sure you have some valid points but your Jeopardy-style posts are
just too much effort to read.

*ploink*

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Convince me to run Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:43:11 +0100

> I can relate as my daughter just got an iMac. Amazing machine IMHO

Indeed. Reminded me of an Acorn (no fan, but a lot hotter). It's also
pretty small. I'm not sure I agree with all of its features, though. It
should have a zip or LS120 drive built in, since it's very stupid not to
back things up.

All in all, a nice machine. I might linuxify a mac for my next computer.

Have you seen the new cube?
Nice looking machine.

The only nicer looking machine I've seen is a Cray.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A classic example of unfriendly Linux
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:59:11 -0300

El vie, 13 oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
>I have sent your post to that person and thank you, but my point is
>this.
>
>"You" know how to do this stuff.

Now so do you.

>He, and just about every other newbie who tries Linux does not. Notice
>his comment about this topic being rehashed a lot? That's because it
>is NOT easy compared to Windows.

Try dejanews.com.

>Under Windows with Norton or BlackIce or ZoneAlarm, this is trivial,
>and he doesn't have to worry about screwing up and leaving himself
>open to attack because of his ignorance of the subject. It's all be
>taken care of by the experts although he is free to modify any
>parameter he wishes freely.

Same here. All the software is there. All you need is the manual. The manual is
here. Enjoy!

>It's not that it "can't" be done under Linux, it's just figuring out
>where the documentation is that explains HOW to do it.
>And then, being able to understand how to implement the changes.

Why is it a trouble finding the doc? It's here!

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:48:09 +0100

> p.s. Please note that I'm not even a unix guru and never claimed to be one.
> 3 months expirence with Linux, though and I already learned to do the same
> basic things and more. How do I find a 12 step program to cure my Micro$uck
> dependency? Can someone please tell me? I need help!

Here's a good bit of therapy (if you have MS Office). Download psdoom
(see later in the thread). Run MS Office under wine. Run psdoom. Have
fun.

-Ed

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:02:11 -0300

El sáb, 14 oct 2000, Erik Funkenbusch escribió:
>"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> Allow me to give you the idiot-proof version of how to make a masquerading
>> firewall between a LAN and the internet through a dialup link using Linux.

>> Step 2: Configure a masquerading firewall.
>>
>> The command for this is as follows
>>
>> ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ
>>
>> Replace 10.4.0.0 with your real network and netmask. Simpler syntax:
>>
>> ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/24 -j MASQ
>
>You know, not once does it mention in the ipchains how-to this command line.
>It took many hours of frustration and fiddling the first time I set up a
>masq box.  The documentation on this just plain sucks and is years out of
>date.

The howto is unmaintained. However, there are a dozen webpages that have pretty
much this same process described, and the ipchains manpage is up to date. It is
also p-retty clear, as long as you already know you want a forwarding rule
(which I am not sure anyone would guess).

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:05:08 -0300

El sáb, 14 oct 2000, Erik Funkenbusch escribió:
>"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > You know, not once does it mention in the ipchains how-to this command
>line.
>> > It took many hours of frustration and fiddling the first time I set up a
>> > masq box.  The documentation on this just plain sucks and is years out
>of
>> > date.
>>
>> I had no problem finding it.   Section 3.3 "Configuring IP Forwarding
>Policies"
>> in IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.
>
>I said ipchains-howto.  The IP-Masquerade-HOWTO doesn't seem to exist on any
>distribution I have (though I haven't checked my Mandrake 7.1 CD yet).  It
>certainly doesn't exist on the RedHat 6.1 CD.

[ralsina@server ralsina]$ locate Masquerade
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade-1.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade-2.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade-3.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade-4.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade-5.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/IP-Masquerade.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/sgml/mini/IP-Masquerade.sgml
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/IP-Masquerade-Como
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/dvi/IP-Masquerade-Como.dvi.gz
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-1.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-2.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-3.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-4.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-5.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-6.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como-7.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/html/IP-Masquerade-Como.html
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/pdf/IP-Masquerade-Como.pdf.gz
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/ps/IP-Masquerade-Como.ps.gz
/usr/doc/HOWTO/translations/es/sgml/IP-Masquerade-Como.sgml

This is Conectiva 5.0 :-)

--
Roberto Alsina (Disclaimer, I work for Conectiva)

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Linux have to be such a pain to install? - A speech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:52:33 +0100

unicat wrote:

> Two other things:
> 1) On Windoze systems, reformatting the hard drive is often easier than trying
> to hunt down

deltree windows usually does a good job although it's often sufficient
to del win.com.
I had a trashed partition that enev formatting couldn't fix. I had to
low level format it from the BIOS. After that it worked.

> all the errors that have crept into a bad Win-install.
> 2) Who cares anyway, this isn't the point of either the origianl question or the
> original answer.
> It was about installing RH 6.2. Any references to windoze were just color
> commentary.
I'll admit that the above is probably the best recovery method (both for
the computer and the soul :-)

-Ed