Linux-Advocacy Digest #835, Volume #26            Fri, 2 Jun 00 17:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: It Could Have Been Worse... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Stuff you cant do with windows (abraxas)
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (EdWIN)
  Re: IBM finally admits OS/2 is dead, officially. (abraxas)
  Re: IBM finally admits Drestin Black may not have a clue... (abraxas)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Wally Bass)
  Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K (abraxas)
  Re: How Pete Goodwin Can Fix "The sad Linux story" (Mike Marion)
  Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K (abraxas)
  Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that matters...)
(Alan Baker)
  Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?)
(EdWIN)
  Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that matters...)
(R. Tang)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. (Mike Marion)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. (Mike Marion)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Peter Espen)
  Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that matters...)
("Stephen S. Edwards II")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: It Could Have Been Worse...
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 19:56:30 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> As opposed to microsoft?
>
> install new version of operating system.
> cycle power when install hangs
>
> reformat your hard drive
> reinstall all your device drivers
>   visit a half dozen websites because supplied drivers aren't
compatible
>   with latest dot release
> reinstall all your applications
> replace those that stopped working

Repeat often.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Stuff you cant do with windows
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:12:26 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote on 2 Jun 2000 14:00:56 GMT <8h8emo$pgc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>JC Nieukoop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [snip]

>>> According to the article Google used Linux because of costs and in-house
>>> Linux expertise. They could have done it using Windows, Solaris or whatever.
>>> The decision was about costs not capability.
>>
>>You cannot build a 6,000 node cluster with windows, period.

> Why not?  According to the Winvocates, Win2k is very much more
> scalable than Windows NT 4 was -- if I'm not totally mistaken
> anyway (I could be very wrong here), and the only limitation is
> a peculiar 150-node one which is easily sidesteppable by using
> multiple domains, IIRC.

Aye, this is true.  And ironically and a bit disturbingly, this
is a *little bit* how sun clusters many dozens of ultrasparc
boards.

> I would be curious as to the size of Microsoft's NT web farm.
> Obviously, they're doing something along these lines.

>From what I know about it (my knowledge ends abruptly last
november though), its a round-robin DNS/multidomain/cluster
type setup.  So although it certianly is many, many machines,
they are not 6000 machines inside one logical cluster.  That
cannot be done.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:11:08 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
herodotus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EdWIN
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>herodotus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Many Windows users show the classical signs of Stockholm
>>>Syndrome. They become ardent defenders of their captors. If
>>Gates
>>>sodomized them, they would thank him for the colonic massage.
>>
>>These are just the kinds of remarks that turn casual Windows
>>users into ardent Mac bashers.   Too bad you didn't get the
>>intent of the orginal post.  :-P
>>
>Anyone who bases their judgement of OSs on Usenet posts deserves
>the special capsaican ointment after their next colonic
>treatment.

What's with this rectal obsession of yours?   Get your head out
of your...you know.

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's
Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in
Usenet - Free!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: IBM finally admits OS/2 is dead, officially.
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:14:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> : "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:8h8ljt$pgc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> [SNIP]

> : > Ill say this again, once again, very slowly so that you can be sure to
> : > understand:
> : >
> : > If W2K is exactly the same as NT5, why wasnt it publically released until
> : > two years later?

> : Perhaps because it wasn't finished ?  I was using NT5 betas 2 years ago,
> : they weren't even close to being done.

> If you're attempting to have an intelligent discussion with abraxas
> Christopher, I would suggest that you put on your industrial-strength
> waders.  He's worse than Matt.

Oh hi steve.  This killfile is actually pretty cool, youre killed unless
there are certian things present in the body of your posts.

How do you do that in windows again?

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: IBM finally admits Drestin Black may not have a clue...
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:15:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy M.P. van Dobben de Bruijn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> are you the clone or the real dolly?

>       Are you the real DrestInBlack or not?

>       In other words are you the real idiot who
>       popped in here last year to utter all kind of
>       nonsense? To a point that someone offered
>       to pay the expenses for you to come clean and
>       come over to set up a real test to prove that you
>       were dead wrong? Only to find that you even did
>       not have the courage to answer, you simply disap-
>       peared. Now you have the "guts" (stupid ignorance
>       would be a better description I think) to drop in again.

Thats him alright.  And he hasnt changed one bit.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:15:40 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story

Tim Palmer wrote:>however, VMS allows commas ('COPY A,B,C,D,E [DESTDIR]').

> Try chainging to a directory with a lot of fials and doing "cp * destdir/" and you
>get "argument
> list to long". This does'nt happen in Windows because Windows is smarter. Even DOS
>knows better
> than to say "argument list to long." UNIX is too stupid. It forces you to coppy all
>the fials one
> by one.

If you are copying all files in a directory, you can avoid the "agument list too long"
message by
using the -R option:

cp -R srcdir destdir

Gary

------------------------------

From: wallyb6@nospam (Wally Bass)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 20:18:43 GMT

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:03:46 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Brad BARCLAY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Besides which, there are major legal and logistic problems.  First,
>
>Funny how massive surgery of a company with more arms than a mutated
>millipede is a job so simple it can be accomplished in a few months, yet
>moving a company without any restructuring is suddenly a major logistical
>problem.

Erik, if this was  an attempt at humor, then you succeed
magnificantly. I'm still chuckling.

If is wasn't, then, well..... give it up, Erik. Give me a break!

"Let's move our Bellevue operation to Canada"

"That might involve some significant logistics,
like training of new programmers"

"no problem. It's like towel designers. They're
a dime a dozen" (for those of you who
can remember ATARI)

"RRRIIIGHT"

"really, it isn't"

"RRRIIIIGHT"

Wally Bass

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:20:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Brian Langenberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8h8j32$6bu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Adam Ruth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> : If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), the NT network services are not C2
>> : certified.  NT is only C2 certified on a standalone system.  You got a
>> : network?  You ain't C2 certified.  I was embarrased by this fact a couple of
>> : years ago in a debate with an NetWarian who shot me down in my high and
>> : mighty attitude.
>>
>> It also requires a specific computer configuration (Compaq?) also, IIRC.
>> No operating system can be certified, only a complete system.
>> So, in reality, NT is not and cannot be C2 certified.  It's just the
>> same tired old argument for how NT is somehow inherently superior
>> to everything else, regardless of hardware or configuration.
>> I get a chuckle every time I see it repeated, though.

> Typical Linvocate response. "NT isn't C2 , it's just the hardware!"

> Is it really that hard for you guys to admit that NT has better security
> than Linux?

> NT, as an OS, is C2-able.

Solaris is B2able.  AIX is B1able.  VMS is B1able.  None of these operating
systems are secure to this extent without massive hardware and software
contingencies, period.

And neither is NT.

> The hardware it's on is merely a small part of
> the total security and design of the system.

Without the hardware, it is not C2 certified, period.

> NT was designed for security and it's reflected by it's certification.

Wrong, it was designed for STABILITY.  Thats why they chose the VMS kernel
right off the bat.

> Access control lists with explicit Deny and object auditing for every
> object and many other advanced features of NT's design allow it to
> easily achieve C2 certification.

Thats not the only thing.  And it wasnt EASY.  You have no idea how
that auditing went or how long it took.

> It was only tested on those four boxes because it doesn't really
> matter about the box.

Wrong.

> You could put it on any box with the right requirements
> (locking cabinet, etc) and pass.

Wrong.  It is only C2 certified with a very specific vendor's very
specific hardware.  You dont know what youre talking about.

> Unforunately, since neither the government
> nor MS have unlimited funds, they only tested the configurations that
> needed to be tested.

You just made that up.

> This is a weak FUD-ized argument designed to help Linvocates sleep better
> at night.

You're a liar, you have no idea what youre talking about, youre pathetic and
youre very, very stupid.  I'll bet youre in someones IT department, arent you.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Pete Goodwin Can Fix "The sad Linux story"
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 20:21:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Walk up to 100 people on Wall Street in NYC and say "Excel" what it
> is? and see what they say.

And they know that because????

Someone told them.  If they had never seen or used a computer before, nor talked
with someone who had, they wouldn't know what it is either.

> So they march to a different drummer than everyone else? Nope
> standards are necessary. I type command.com on any Windows system and
> it starts the shell. I install StarOffice under Linux and how do I
> start it? Seems to be a FAQ in the setup groups. Pathetic if you ask
> me.

"standards are necessary".. man you're on the wrong OS then.  Unix systems
actually use standards.  I can log into a Linux, BSD, Solaris/SunOS, HP-UX,
IRIX, AIX, etc Unix box and ls, cat, grep, etc all do the same basic thing.

> Why bother? Windows already has a linked help system that blows Linux
> out of the water. That's the primary reason why there is so little
> Windows documentation in print. You don't need it.

Haven't been to any bookstores that carry computer books lately, have you?
There are tons of windows books too.

> Why isn't it correctly done as default? Seems pretty simple to me, yet
> every single distribution I have ever used has put dead links in the
> kde menues.

Because correctly for you might not be correctly for someone else.  With Unix
systems you have the power to configure the interface how _you_ like it.  This
allows one to be more productive because they can use the interface they want..
not the one that MS forces them to use.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
Linux is harder to learn than Windows. But it is easier to use.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:21:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8h8i2s$2epp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), the NT network services are not C2
>> certified.  NT is only C2 certified on a standalone system.  You got a
>> network?  You ain't C2 certified.  I was embarrased by this fact a couple of
>> years ago in a debate with an NetWarian who shot me down in my high and
>> mighty attitude.

> In 1998, (perhaps 99) NT 4.0 SP6 with C2 hotfix was C2 certified
> on the network and everywhere in between.

It was NOT certified on an IP network, idiot.  You're lying again.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:32:00 -0700

In article <8h926a$305$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>: >: >: >: Microsoft lucked into the sweetheart deal of the century: it's
>: >: >: >: verifiable fact. And you were aware that IBM only came to
>: >: >: >: Microsoft in
>: >: >: >: the first place because of family connections (Gates' mother on
>: >: >: >: the same
>: >: >: >: board as the president of IBM, or some such) aren't you?
>: >: >: >
>: >: >: >Huh?  This is completely wrong.  Bill's mother was a homemaker,
>: >: >
>: >: >:        And also the first woman to sit on the boards of directors for
>: >: >: Seafirst Bank, Pacific Northwest Bell and a number of other
>: >: >: corporations.
>: >: >: (Her father, and Bill's grandfather, was a major banker in the
>: >: >: Puget Sound
>: >: >: area).
>: >: >
>: >: >And do you have proof of this claim?
>: >
>: >:   Yes.
>: >
>: >:   Try the proxy statements for Seafirst and PNB circa 1980s.
>: >
>: >:   Also, consider my mailing address. Consider that I work in the
>: >: fundraising department. Consider that Mary Gates was a Regent when I
>: >: started working for UW. Consider that the files on our Regents are
>: >: very
>: >: extensive.
>: >
>: >:   Now don't be a typical Comp Sci dweeb with no experience outside
>: >: of silicon.
>: >
>: >Hmmm... it seems I struck a nerve.
>
>:      No, just a bad day on the *.advocacy groups.
>
>A "bad day"?  Are you a career poster, or something?  The only way someone
>can have a "bad day" on USENET is to have an overly-exagerrated priority
>set on it, which is not only childish, but pathetic as well.
>
>Lighten up, and find a _useful_ hobby.
>
>: >I smell bull cookies.
>
>:      Better change your pants.
>
>Er, now who's acting like a high-school student?
>
>: >: >I would, if I cared at all.
>: >
>: >:   Then keep your yap shut.
>: >
>: >I'll get you at recess.  THHHHP!@#
>
>:      Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you, at least,
>: completed high school.
>
>:      But, really.....this is all very well known information about Mary
>: Gates. Check her obituaries on it, for a small fraction.
>
>For kicks, I might.  The info I posted was taken from transcripts from
>Triumph of the Nerds, which was a documentary on the rise of the PC
>industry, hosted by Robert Cringely.  They can be found at
>http://www.pbs.org/.  Some people dismiss it as "idiot box snake oil", but
>it's kind of hard to ignore the facts presented in it, as most of them
>come from the mouths of people who were actually directly involved in it.

While conveniently ignoring links to Bill Gates bio which corroborate
what Roger said. But don't let the facts get in the way of your
preconceptions.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:33:44 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chad Myers wrote:

> How's the ACL project for Linux coming along?
>
> -Chad

I use ACLs on Linux every day.  I have for some time now.

Gary

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save
It?)
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:33:51 -0700

In article <tholenbot-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tholenbot
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <8gn2pb$65$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EdWIN
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>   Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Seeing things that aren't there again, Tholen?
>>
>> Posting for entertainment purposes again, eh Malloy?
>
>Having attribution problems again EdWIN?

Typical unsubstantiated and erroneous claim.

>Typical.

Incorrect.   Posting for entertainment purposes again, Tholenbot
(little boy)?  How typical.

>--
>On what basis do you claim "this is the end, my only friend,
the end"?

Don't you know?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Tang)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 2 Jun 2000 20:05:49 GMT

In article <8h926a$305$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>R. Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>:      Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you, at least,
>: completed high school.
>
>:      But, really.....this is all very well known information about Mary
>: Gates. Check her obituaries on it, for a small fraction.
>
>For kicks, I might.  The info I posted was taken from transcripts from
>Triumph of the Nerds, which was a documentary on the rise of the PC
>industry, hosted by Robert Cringely.  They can be found at
>http://www.pbs.org/.  Some people dismiss it as "idiot box snake oil", but
>it's kind of hard to ignore the facts presented in it, as most of them
>come from the mouths of people who were actually directly involved in it.

        Let's put it this way.

        The information I have is based on forty years of local Seattle
newspapers, looking at original stock proxy statements, looking at the
public disclosure records for the Gates and actually being around Seattle
when the events ocurred.

        I am less than impressed by your "research" (single source, at
that) and your brain dead disputation of information that's pretty well
established and documented.

        Makes me think your statements in other areas are equally well
supported and justified.
--
-Roger Tang, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Artistic Director  PC Theatre
-       Editor, Asian American Theatre Revue [NEW URL]

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 20:45:12 GMT

Christopher Smith wrote:

> > The X Windows System predates Microsoft Windows. Also, when did MS
> > Windows support multiple desktops?
>
> Ever since you installed the software to allow it, same as X.

Which tends to break programs.  My DVD player won't work with either
multi-desktop software or window manager software installed on my windows
machine(s).

X on the other hand, works fine no matter how I set it up.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
A yer ago I kudnt spel Sistum Admnistratur; now i R won.

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 20:56:46 GMT

daelin wrote:

> Raw X actually does look like something. It doesn't look like much,
> and you can't even move the windows, but it is possible to run X without
> a WM or GUI suite.

Actually that's a very good thing... it allows troubleshooting of wm's and
desktop environments without having to load up X everytime you try running it
again.  I just finished compiling gnome-1.2 for Solaris the other day and did
just that.  I logged into the console, and did an xinit so that I had a raw X
server and one X term.  Then I could start the wm and gnome by hand to make sure
there weren't any problems before comitting my startup scripts to them.

It did help me track down a few glitches (like I forgot to enable
gnome-awareness in sawmill/sawfish when I compiled it.. oops).

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
Your mouse has moved. Please wait while Windows reboots so the change can

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Espen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 2 Jun 2000 14:51:21 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
JFW  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
+ ...
+company for a vast amount of their infrastructure.  We're talking
+about a governemt which spends billions routinely ensuring that it has
+domestic supercomputer suppliers for the few it buys each couple of
+years.  Wanna theorize what it'd pay or do to keep it's entire office
+infrastructure from becoming a foreign import?
+

Name one "supercomputer" in the US that runs any Microsoft software.  I've
never heard of one.

Peter

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 2 Jun 2000 21:06:23 GMT

: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

I didn't ignore anything.  I'm more than familiar with Bill Gates' little
site.  Saying that his mother was a schoolteacher, a University regent,
and a chairperson for the United Way, doesn't make her a suit-and-tie
career woman any more than a braincell would make Rebecca Romjin Stamos a
human.

Nor does it prove my statement to be correct, either.  The point was, that
there is absolutely nothing to give anyone reason to believe that she had
nothing to do with Bill getting the chance to do business with IBM, as
someone previously had claimed.  It's apparent, that you and Tang failed
to notice that I was merely trying to debunk that claim, and I was not
trying to establish historical gospel.
--
.-----.
|_..._| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount