Linux-Advocacy Digest #889, Volume #26            Sun, 4 Jun 00 16:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: New User here, and I think Linux Stinks! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Some advocacy. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I Nuked Linux...Win 2K is Light Years Ahead. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Arthur)
  Re: New User here, and I think Linux Stinks! (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Ronan Waide)
  Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ? (Mike Marion)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Jim Richardson)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that matters...)
("Marc Schlensog")
  Re: MacOS X: under the hood... (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...) ("Marc Schlensog")
  Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com ("Marc Schlensog")
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. (Mig Mig)
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Mig Mig)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New User here, and I think Linux Stinks!
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 18:49:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>What a fucking idiot.....

Thanks, Steve, it's always nice to hear a kind word.

>Even the special edition of Adobe (I'm assuming that's what was
>installed) blows away anything Gimpy can do...

Steve, read my lips:

    I DON'T CARE!

I don't give a shit about what the included software can or can't do, nor
do I care about whether it is more or less than what The Gimp can do. It
is of absolutely no consequence to me.

What I *do* care about is the ability to automate my scanning. I don't want
to have to silly movements with a mouse for every scan. That's inefficient.

>Scanning the same cover 100 times?
>Now that's useful. Whazamatta Bernie, couldn't read it the first time?

Pay attention, please.
I wanted to scan *one particular image* 1024 times. The reason, as I explained
before, was to reduce CCD noise through averaging (doing it 1024 times
reduces the noise 32-fold, assuming Gaussian additive noise). Now, seeing
as I do work in image-denoising, I needed a as-low-as-possible noise version
of that image, as something like a "golden standard".

I *also* wanted to scan in all the covers of all my CDs. This is so that I
can select the album I want the MP3 player to play from the menu on my
TV, using the remote control attached to the TV card in my homebrew-Tivo.
Now, I admit that I never actually tried doing this under Windows; However,
I *have* seen my brother scan in a set of 36 photos, to be sent by email
to all the relatives. It was a scary lesson in inefficiency. He had to
click through several dialog boxes for each, and then manually change the
filename each time, using the keyboard.

Now, to do the same under linux, I would do

    #!/bin/sh
    count=1
    while true
    do
      echo "Press enter to scan print number $count"
      read
      scanimage -d hp:/dev/sgc --mode Color -l0 -t0 -x 300 -y 200 \
             --resolution 110 >tmp.ppm
      cjpeg -quality 70 -optimize -dct float -baseline tmp.ppm >${1}B$count.jpg
      rm tmp.ppm
      count=`expr $count + 1`  # bash can do this without using expr
    done

(note: this is completely untested, but should be pretty close to working
correctly). Then all I'd have to do is to whack a print on the scanner
and hit a single key. If I knew beforehand how many prints I have, or were
to allow entering an "I am done" input, I could also automatically ZIP things
up and send them off to friends and family.

>The problem with lincrap is you never even get to the 100 part. Just trying to
>make the scanner work is a daunting task.

Hmmm --- I didn't seem to have too much trouble....

>And CD covers are so hig res you need to rescan 100 times?

No. Steve, please read more carefully next time. And either way, rescanning
doesn't buy you anything in the resolution department; However, it *can*
be used to reduce noise (although you need to do some aligning before you
do the averaging --- scanners do not really position the CCD very precisely
in absolute terms).

>BTW MucsicMatch Jukebox does all those things you want.

It allows me to scan my CD covers with a single keypress? Great, where can
I get it?

>Under Windows you can also PLAY the CD instead of looking at it's
>cover, and get full fidelity with top quality digital audio boards,
>unlike Lincrap...

Blah blah blah --- you'd have much more of a point if I hadn't
actually MP3-ed all my CDs a while ago, and wasn't in fact listening
to one right now. And you know what --- although the keyboard I am
typing this on is shared between 3 computers (and is physically
attached to one that doesn't even have a sound card), and although I
am currently typing in emacs, which was started from nn, both running
on a text console, hitting the '.' key on the numeric numberpad will
change to the next song from the same album.  There, just did
it. Hitting the '0' key will change to a random song from a different
album, and the CD cover of that album will pop up on the right one of
my 3 21" monitors (connected to a machine that neither plays the MP3s
nor has any physical connection to the keyboard). Once I hit '.', it
will stay with that album, until I hit '0' again. That works no matter
what machine the keyboard is logically connected to, and no matter
what I am running on that machine.

How do I skip a song using "MusicMatch Jukebox" while editing a post
in Outlook Express? Please detail all the steps, and compare with a
single keypress.

Bernie

--
The universe is made of stories, not atoms
Muriel Rukeyser

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Some advocacy.
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 18:49:51 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>There is only one thing I miss about Windows. My UMAX Astra 1220P
>scanner is not supported. Other than that, I have not found another
>thing which I would consider using Windows.

There have been reports on Deja that this scanner works just fine from
VMware. Of course, that would still be "using Windows", and you are
still stuck with the Windows scanning software --- but at least you
wouldn't need to reboot anymore.

Bernie
--
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but
    World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I Nuked Linux...Win 2K is Light Years Ahead.
Date: 5 Jun 2000 01:55:52 +1000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Been trying to run Linux for about a month now and
>am getting sick and tired of it crashing, hanging
>and just plain running like shit on my puter'.

And guess what the X-Newsreader: header reads.....

Welcome back, Steve. Now, piss off!

Bernie
--
Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is
    thought necessary

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 11:37:04 -0700

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >How do we know you're not just relating the story of your own futility?

> Are you (gasp) accusing me of lying?

I don't see how your response follows from the previous assertion,
but I do think people who immediately respond with an "are you
accusing me of lying?" usually are lying.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:08:32 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 18:49:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
[deletia]
>What I *do* care about is the ability to automate my scanning. I don't want
>to have to silly movements with a mouse for every scan. That's inefficient.
[deletia]
>I *also* wanted to scan in all the covers of all my CDs. This is so that I
>can select the album I want the MP3 player to play from the menu on my
>TV, using the remote control attached to the TV card in my homebrew-Tivo.
>Now, I admit that I never actually tried doing this under Windows; However,
>I *have* seen my brother scan in a set of 36 photos, to be sent by email
>to all the relatives. It was a scary lesson in inefficiency. He had to
>click through several dialog boxes for each, and then manually change the
>filename each time, using the keyboard.
>
>Now, to do the same under linux, I would do
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>    count=1
>    while true
>    do
>      echo "Press enter to scan print number $count"
>      read
>      scanimage -d hp:/dev/sgc --mode Color -l0 -t0 -x 300 -y 200 \
>             --resolution 110 >tmp.ppm
>      cjpeg -quality 70 -optimize -dct float -baseline tmp.ppm >${1}B$count.jpg
>      rm tmp.ppm
>      count=`expr $count + 1`  # bash can do this without using expr
>    done

        You don't need to go to these lengths quite.  You can set up
        xsane quite easily to do sequential numbering of scans and
        just repeatedly hit the mouse button...

>(note: this is completely untested, but should be pretty close to working
>correctly). Then all I'd have to do is to whack a print on the scanner
>and hit a single key. If I knew beforehand how many prints I have, or were
>to allow entering an "I am done" input, I could also automatically ZIP things
>up and send them off to friends and family.
>
>>The problem with lincrap is you never even get to the 100 part. Just trying to
>>make the scanner work is a daunting task.

        I just installed sane. The makefile took care of everything. I can
        even do network printing with a little bit of effort.

[deletia]
>>BTW MucsicMatch Jukebox does all those things you want.
>
>It allows me to scan my CD covers with a single keypress? Great, where can
>I get it?
>
>>Under Windows you can also PLAY the CD instead of looking at it's
>>cover, and get full fidelity with top quality digital audio boards,
>>unlike Lincrap...
>
>Blah blah blah --- you'd have much more of a point if I hadn't
>actually MP3-ed all my CDs a while ago, and wasn't in fact listening
[deletia]

        ...same here.

[deletia]

        I used scanned CD covers as directory, group and genre icons for
        my mp3 collection. It looks rather spiffy and is a nice way of
        doing a quick inventory of my collection.

        I'd be curious how a Windows user would go about setting up such
        a thing. I have a shell script that tweaks my file mangler config
        file... pretty much automated at this point. I just drop an icon
        file in a pre-determined directory and a name.xpm -> name/ mapping
        occurs.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: 04 Jun 2000 20:13:59 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >>Weekly?  You really believe that?  C'mon - get real - weekly?
> >>Quarterly, maybe.  Weekly?  Get real.

Do I take it from this that you think it's okay to have to reboot an
operating server every three months? Pretty low expectations; let me
cite you a real-world example:

I left a linux box behind in my last job that I put together out of
spare parts that I found under someone's desk[1]. I ran a SMTP server,
POP server, DNS, yellow pages (pre-LDAP distributed user database),
packet-filtering firewall and IP masquerading for an office of thirty
people. I ran all of this in 64MB of memory and a gigabyte of disk on
a 100MHz Pentium, and all the bits of software I needed (1) came with
the OS; (2) didn't cost me a penny aside from setup time [1]; (3) ran
flawlessly for almost a year until a cretinous non-techie tripped a
circuit breaker on the same ring as this box, causing about two
minutes downtime because that's how long it took the machine to boot
up.

>From personal experience, I know I'd have trouble running a desktop NT
workstation on that spec. And if I wanted an SMTP/POP server, I'd have
to shell out on RAM and software; IP masquerading would require a
third-party product; and yellow pages for NT I've not seen (I suppose
there's probably a third-party product for that, too).

During the same period of time, I helped an experienced NT admin out
on a bunch of NT servers. They needed constant attention, by
comparison to the above box which sat (and still sits) in the back of
a dusty room working away happily by itself. Actually, as I recall,
one of the NT servers was upset simply by the task of sitting there
doing nothing, and had to be rebooted.

Please, take your Microsoft flagwaving[3] to a group where it's
believed by people without experience of real computers doing real
work with real uptimes. talk.bizarre is not any sort of advocacy group
for a particular computing platform, it just happens to have an
extraordinary number of extremely skilled technical people in its
readership who understand that uptime should be measured in years, not
weeks or months, and that putting a pretty front-end on a stack dump
doesn't change the fact that it's a stack dump.

Waider. Alternatively, "Here's a quarter, kid. Go buy a real computer."

[1] No, this is not an exaggeration. I found most of the machine under
    a journalist's desk where it had lain for several months after the
    company who'd sent it in for a product review had gone bust.

[2] Yes, yes. Linux is free if you don't value your time. attr., dammit jwz.
    Linux is a damn sight cheaper than NT if you DO value your time.

[3] Things that Microsoft does well:
    Application Integration. Dumbing things down to the point of
    drooling (not necessarily a bad thing). Marketing the hell out of
    things. Selling those things. Bundling or unbundling where it
    suits their market. (why bundle a web server but not an SMTP server?)

    Things that Microsoft does badly:
    Hiding unnecessary detail (Abort, Retry, Fail dialog box, for
    example). Servers of any description. Security.

    I'm not biased against Microsoft per se; I'm biased against crud
    masquerading as the best thing ever, and people who support that
    point of view in the face of massed evidence. X company
    standardising on NT doesn't tell me it's any good, it tells me
    that X company believed the hype they were sold and will most
    likely regret it in the long run.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

Derrick says, "So what do you do with a variable clevis and a 40,000
    pound chicken?"

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:12:49 GMT

JEDIDIAH wrote:

>         You repeat this over and over again like some little child screaming
>         with his fingers in his ears but it doesn't make it any more true...

You know I can only see two possible explanations for this "Tim Palmer":
1. It's a moron laughing his ass off because he's acting like a little child
(even making tons of constant spelling, grammer and logical errors) and yet
people are still trying to debate with him.
or..
2. It's someone doing either some kind of psychological study, or just testing
this group to see if people will still debate with someone acting in such a
manner instead of just ignoring him as they should.

Looking at his posts, one gets the impression of a young child, but the spelling
(and other) mistakes are just a little too consistent for it to be a child.
Most kids (from what I've seen) tend to make different spelling errors over
time, yet his posts all seem to have the exact same kinds of errors every time.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
_Colonel Slade_: "There is nothing like the sight of an amputated

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 11:57:17 -0700

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 16:33:25 GMT,
 poldy, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Harris
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Ahh yes... but they would be able to sell their software to Cuba :)
>>
>>Realistically, though, even if Microsoft did move itself to Canada, most
>>of its employees would
>>just move across the border.  It's not like it makes that much of a
>>difference, anyway.
>>

>I thought Vancouver BC was some distance from Seattle.  Like at least 50
>miles?

Try about 180 miles

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Subject: Re: The sad Linux story
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:18:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote in <8he4br$787$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>But, back to the problem of Staroffice not seeing your vfat
>mounted partition.  Is it actually mounted as vfat (not dos)
>and what happens when you try to browse through the mount
>point?

I believe it's vfat; everything else can see it, just not StarOffice.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:21:56 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>You need to reinstall from scratch.  You've screwed something up with
>all the dicking-around of which you refuse to tell us, instead acting
>outraged
>that we doubt you, as if you were some sort of LINUX guru.

Oh boy is that an admission. You mean I have to reinstall from scratch?
Isn't that one of things I've been told I don't need to do?

As for all the dicking around, care to tell me what I've done? Or what you
think I've done?

Shall I tell you what 'dicking' around I've done. None. Nada. Zip.

>You throw much heat, little light.

I throw much heat because this is an 'out of the box' installation of Linux
Mandrake 7.0. I've made no modifications to it. How could I, I hardly know
the system that well?

Pete

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 15:21:38 -0400

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Christopher Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Colin Day asked

> > > You can in NT.  Couldn't say in Win9x.

> > > Ever since you installed the software to allow it, same as X.
> >
> > Does this software come with Windows, or is it something you have
> > to buy separately?
>
> There's free software that will do it, same as X.

How does one obtain it?

> KDE?
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > Doesn't seem to work with the Windows 98 in my office.
>
> Turn on single-click in the Tools->Options menu.
>
> Why you'd want to is beyond me though, one of the things I disliked about
> KDE the last time I used it was you couldn't turn the damn feature *off* (at
> least not easily).

Why would want to turn it off?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:59:54 +0200

Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[Big time snippage]
> And yet your only support for your argument is the notion (now shown to
> be false) that she was just "a homemaker".
Thatīs the problem with Stephen, Boris, Drestin,
Chad and all the other wintrolls.
The donīt accept the opinion of others, when it
differs that much from their own, even when the
others got proof and those trolls donīt.  Is this
a sign of brain-washing?  Bottomless stupidity?
Idiocracy?  Or is it the regular behavior of
WinLemmings(TM) ?

[.sigsnip]

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: MacOS X: under the hood... (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:48:06 +0200

BTW, what was this UCSD P-System comparable with?
Is there anyone, who might give me a link to more info?

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 17:37:20 +0200

LMB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "David D. Huff Jr." wrote:
>
> > Brad if you and Esther wrote a book I would buy it just so I could burn
it.

> Cut posts, you %$^&$%!

Use ASCII, you %$^&$%!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:25:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8hd89t$sqh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I cant simply because i do not have anything installed that smells of
>SMB. I wont install Samba just to do you a favor. As i mentioned in the

And when I RTFM and don't find any mention of how to use smbfs? What then?

>Oh.. i certainly can take the heat.. Daily i have to deal with idiots -
>on Windows - that not even know how to do  a right-click with their
>mouse much less read some documentation. Youre a little more
>sofisticated than that.. but you still dont bother to read and search
>for the necessary documentation. Thats a Windows desease that you have
>to loose if you want to gain some respect.

And when I RTFM and... I've already said that haven't I?

I've found precious little description of smbfs, and that's with a
determined search. Or maybe I shouldn't use undocumented features?

>Why is the bible involved? Rementer "God helps those that help them
>selves".. in other words : RTFM or piss off... God approves my comments
>to you.

Not in any bible I know. Care to quote chapter and verse please? AS for god
approving of your comments, I don't think he gives a damn.

Pete

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 15:24:03 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 16:17:43 -0400, "Colin R. Day"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Don't have to compile in Linux, either. Installing binary RPM's is pretty easy.
> >
> >Go to directory with (say) XFree86 RPM's.
> >
> >rpm -Uvh XFree86*
> >
> >No problem.
>
> Until you get all the dependency problems...

And how does Windows deal with absent/conflicting DLL files?

> No thanks, I prefer the Windows way..Works everytime for me.

Never had DLL hell?

> >Colin Day

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:28:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>To quote the smbmnt(8) man page: ".. refer to the smbfs.txt file in
>the Linux kernel Documentation directory." It's not hyperlinked,
>but for anyone knowledgeable enough to need that info, that would
>seem to be sufficient.

Oh I'm sorry, I was looking under smbmount. Ah yes, it really makes sense
now, I should have been looking under smbmnt. Oops!

Um, doesn't this just demonstrate the weakness of the man pages? If I can
find nothing under smbmount, which I did know points at smbmnt, but didn't
think the clever developers would HIDE it there, shouldn't the text be
updated?

>It's not the criticism - it's the ineptness and ignorance you display
>in this and other posts.

Really? A bit like the ineptness of the online help available in Linux.

>Trite - please try for more originality.

What is this, a pissing contest? I have to be more original!

8)

Pete

------------------------------

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:30:50 +0200

Colin R. Day wrote:
> Christopher Smith wrote:
>
> > "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Does this software come with Windows, or is it something you have
> > > to buy separately?
> >
> > There's free software that will do it, same as X.
>
> How does one obtain it?

If i remneber correct litestep.org  has one app for it and its free
software.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:30:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I don't see how your response follows from the previous assertion,
>but I do think people who immediately respond with an "are you
>accusing me of lying?" usually are lying.

Sounds like a rule of thumb. In my case it doesn't work. I'm not lying.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:36:37 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >To quote the smbmnt(8) man page: ".. refer to the smbfs.txt file in
> >the Linux kernel Documentation directory." It's not hyperlinked,
> >but for anyone knowledgeable enough to need that info, that would
> >seem to be sufficient.
>
> Oh I'm sorry, I was looking under smbmount. Ah yes, it really makes sense
> now, I should have been looking under smbmnt. Oops!
>
> Um, doesn't this just demonstrate the weakness of the man pages? If I can
> find nothing under smbmount, which I did know points at smbmnt, but didn't
> think the clever developers would HIDE it there, shouldn't the text be
> updated?

Ahh.. someone now suddenly starts to use both eyes when reading man pages.
Youre making progress Pete.

> >It's not the criticism - it's the ineptness and ignorance you display
> >in this and other posts.
>
> Really? A bit like the ineptness of the online help available in Linux.

Those man pages have been there forever and doing a fine job. I must admit
that they are not particular easy to read , but everything you need to know
as an enduser is actually there. This is unlike f.ex. the Windows
helpsystem that really is of no help if you want to resolve problems.