Linux-Advocacy Digest #941, Volume #26            Tue, 6 Jun 00 22:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Microsoft OS, no full OS CD Re: More Dirty Microsoft Tactics ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Innovation ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: The State of the System Address ("KLH")
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Gary Heston)
  Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Boys Club for Linux ("KLH")
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Gary Heston)
  Re: SVGALib ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Innovation ("KLH")
  Re: SVGALib (Bart Oldeman)
  Re: Help ... ... P l e a s e ? (Tim Schwenk)
  Re: Help ... ... P l e a s e ? (Tim Schwenk)
  Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit!
  Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit! (Bart Oldeman)
  Re: Innovation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Major linux problem "permissions" (Steve Martin)

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 18:03:45 -0400

In <xgb%4.581$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/06/00
   at 06:01 PM, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

><jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)> wrote in message
>> > As an example, I just set up a friend of mine with a Windows 2000
>system.
>> > He was used to using a Mac, and wanted to use the programs he knew
>> > specifically (Illustrator, Quark, Photoshop).  It didn't matter to him
>that
>> > Canvas or Freehand or FrameMaker or PhotoDraw Might do the same things
>he
>> > needs them to do, he wanted to use only those specific programs.
>> >
>> > The moral of the story.  It's the apps, not the OS which drive people.
>They
>> > may prefer one OS over the other, but they'll use any OS if it gives
>them
>> > the Apps they want.
>>
>> "Superior" means "better", and that quality has to be earned by the
>> operating system on its own merits, not by the applications that are
>> written for it. You are trying to make us believe that "superior"
>> means "better marketed" or "with more available applications". If I
>> had meant that, I would have written that Win9x is better marketed
>> than OS/2.

>Yes, you said Superior, but did not define what the term Superior was applied
>to.

>Windows has a Superior market share.  Windows has a Superior selection of
>software available for it.  Typical applications for Windows have a superior
>feature set than typical applications for other OS's.  Windows has superior
>ease of use for typical end user tasks (for instance, drag and drop is
>supported by many more applications not to mention much better support for
>OLE like technologies (or OpenDoc on OS/2).

>By simply saying that the OS is superior, you infer that everything about the
>OS is superior, and that simply is not the case.

>> As to technical superiority, only a fool would still claim that Win9x
>> is technically better than OS/2.

>I did not say it was.  I said specifically that OS/2 was superior
>technically.

>> It's a nice example you gave there, but other than that you probably
>> did your "friend" a disservice by setting him up with a non-proven,
>> resource-hungry O/S to do the same things less efficiently, there
>> really was no point to it.

>The point was that he had been given a PC and wanted to use it.  I did what
>he asked, not what I wanted him to do.

To bad you don't know diddly shit about the aplications. You really could have
helped him -- but then being an walkie-talkie asshole, you can't really do
much more then talk the bull.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 6 Jun 2000 19:55:21 -0500

In article <8hisnj$281$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Down?  Working correctly for years at a time is a bad thing?
>>
>> Lacking essential features is a bad thing. Stability is not the
>> end all and be all of everything, it's just the area where some
>> Unix flavors are strong.
>
>I don't care for a system which goes on and on for years, since I generally
>turn it off when I'm done with it, especially if it doesn't do what I would
>like it to do ?
>
>I want a system which supports my hardware, has the software I want, and
>allow me to do my stuff as hassle free as possible. Windows allows me that.
>
>Some will find satisfaction on MacOS, Linux/UNIX, BeOS or even Amiga or OS/2
>and I'm perfectly okay with that.
>
>Why should I be unhappy in using Windows ? Why should I bow to others'
>definition of computing experience ?

Sure, for a personal toy Windows is fine.  Just be sure you realize
that any important data files you are saving in it's proprietary
formats may force you into continuing to use it even when a
newer, shinier toy comes along.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:04:56 GMT

On 6 Jun 2000 19:55:21 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Lacking essential features is a bad thing. Stability is not the
>>> end all and be all of everything, it's just the area where some
>>> Unix flavors are strong.
>>
>>I don't care for a system which goes on and on for years, since I generally
>>turn it off when I'm done with it, especially if it doesn't do what I would
>>like it to do ?

        The fact that it can go on and on and on for years is merely a
        reflection of the fact that is is unlikely to stop working
        before you have ordained it. Downtime isn't the problem, UNPLANNED
        downtime is. That's what robustness prevents and why in any other
        product is is valued.

        You don't want your TV to stop working in the middle of that great
        show, or your car to suddenly break when you are on that Arizona
        highway.

>>I want a system which supports my hardware, has the software I want, and
>>allow me to do my stuff as hassle free as possible. Windows allows me that.
>>
>>Some will find satisfaction on MacOS, Linux/UNIX, BeOS or even Amiga or OS/2
>>and I'm perfectly okay with that.
>>
>>Why should I be unhappy in using Windows ? Why should I bow to others'
>>definition of computing experience ?
>
>Sure, for a personal toy Windows is fine.  Just be sure you realize
>that any important data files you are saving in it's proprietary
>formats may force you into continuing to use it even when a
>newer, shinier toy comes along.

        That's an entirely separate wrinkle: vendor locked data.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft OS, no full OS CD Re: More Dirty Microsoft Tactics
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:14:59 -0500

JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> They are too smalltime for the local "prosecutor" to be concerned
> with. They exist in a different economic reality from those who
> make up the bulk of the units sold.

prosecutor?  MS sells them their copies.  Well, their distributor does
anyways.

> >OEM's are not prisoners, they're indentured servants.  They've chosen
their
> >fate, and they must live by it.
>
> Indentured Servitude (besides Military service) is illegal in the US.
>
> I presume it is illegal in the EU as well.

Contracts are just another form of indentured servitude.  If yo break the
contract, you are liable for whatever the penalties are (as long as civil
rights are not being violated).

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Innovation
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:20:05 -0500

JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Like it or not, Internet Explorer *IS* Innovative in many ways.  Nobody
else
> >created a componentized web browser (Netscape 6 copies IE in many ways in
>
> That's not "innovation" that's just applying a different development
> paradigm to the same problem. Breaking one big chunk of code into lots
> of little ones isn't "innovation" unless it's 1953.

I didn't say it was innovation.  I said it was innovative.  Stop trying to
use a word which does not apply.  Those two words mean different things.
Look them up.

> >this regard).  Nobody else has integrated a web browser into the shell
> >(whatever you attribute the motive to, it was still an innovative
design).

> Actually, you could use the original Mosaic as a file mangler to
> some degree. That's just a side effect of file://. It might be
> more accurate to state that the Browser became the default shell.

No, I believe the original mosaic (and netscape for that mater, were simply
file viewers, not file managers.

> >Nobody else created major API's to allow 3rd parties to integrate
whatever
> >portions of the componetized browser they wanted into their own apps.
>
> Like I said previously: breaking one big chunk of code into lots
> of little one's isn't "innovation" unless it's 1953.

If nobody else has done it before, it's Innovative.

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The State of the System Address
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:11:22 -0700

> I've heard many people say lately that Linux "isn't fit for the
> desktop". That's a bit strange. How could it not be; i'm using it as a
> desktop OS while writing this reply, from KDE, with Netscape (as you
> can see). If Linux hadn't been fit for desktop use, i would never be
> able to do this.

It is fact that GNU/Linux is a viable desktop operating system. But it is
not the best---this is the point.

> The only thing i'm missing here is a good word processor, or rather a
> DTP-program. Hmm...Come to think of it, i don't have a DTP-program in
> Windows, either. MS-Word surely isn't anywhere near sufficient for
> that.
>
> Come on, KDE Team! I need KWord! It looks so nice on the screenshots.
> Get some boots behind it already!

Do you people really consider a word processor as a DTP-program? If that is
so, you can do DTP with a text editor as well.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Heston)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:16:32 GMT

According to Lloyd Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Gary Heston ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>: Besides, I don't what to be a manager. It involves too much work that
>: gets nothing useful done; I'm interested in networks. Which is why I've
>: had one at home for years, have a rack full of routers to finish wiring
>: up for it, am building a computational rack from the stacks of motherboards
>: in the next room, and scored 982 on my NT Server Internetworking with TCP/IP
>: certification test.

>"Hi! I'm in such a dead-end job I have to take certification tests!"

Heck, Lloyd; just take a few tests. Then, you too can get called by
headhunters, like I was a week ago.

At least I haven't spent most of my life in grad school.

Gary

--
Gary Heston  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We in the government knew when we got an email titled "ILOVEYOU" that
 something was wrong."  Senator Fred Thompson quoted by ZDNet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit!
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:20:20 GMT

That's a case of good judgement on your part. Factory stock radios
tend to be overpriced and not up to the quality that you can get in
the aftermarket.

You made a wise decision.

Unfortunately in my Impala SS I had no choice but to take the factory
Bose system which sucks. Well, it's not THAT bad but I could have done
much better for less money than I probably paid for it.

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boys Club for Linux
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:19:34 -0700

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Nicholas Murison would say:
> >LinuxMaybe wrote:
> >>
> >> Linux users are a bunch of sniveling little immature boys.  Big on
> >> nasty comments, foul language, and wobbly arguments.  There is a
> >> difference between advocacy and the smear campaigns you conduct.  Here
> >> are just a few of the *many* guilty parties:
> >>
> >> Jeff carroll
> >> Charlie Ebert
> >> pac4854
> >> Chris Ahlstrom
> >> Terry Porter
> >> sandrews
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> simon777
> >>
> >> Don't get me wrong,, I happen to think Linux has a lot of potential.
> >> Unfortunately, the users of it are members of a little Boys club.
> >> Grow up and maybe your operating system will too!
> >
> >Thank you for your wonderfully over-generalised view of the Linux
> >community.
>
> What's interesting is that some of these are not "Linux users" at
> all.

I can see how you can make that statement---if look at my headers I am using
Outlook Express on Windows 95. Well, I use Windows for my email and news.
Note: it isn't a statement about GNU/Linux. My reason for using Windows in
this way is not a technical one.

But I don't think I am one of the people addressed in this thread, or am I
wrong?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Heston)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:28:59 GMT

According to James E. Freedle II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>It really sounds like the person does not really know how to use a computer.

Having done system/network administration for over 15 years, I think
I've figured it out.

And, every time I've run into someone who claims I don't know what I'm
doing, they're unable to tell me what I'm doing wrong, despite repeated
challenges.

>I find administrating a Windows system much more enjoyable than UNIX or
>Linux.

If your criteria is pretending you're playing a video game (or pretending
to admin the server while actually playing a video game) rather than getting
something useful and reliable in place, yep. I stand by my prior statement:

>> Those who have never tasted cake are satisfied with bread...

Gary

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SVGALib
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:30:56 GMT

On 6 Jun 2000 21:36:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Steinberg) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: Alt-PrintScreen and open up Windows Paint and paste.
>: Instant screen dump.....
>
>Steve,
>
>Screen dumps are easy in X, too.

Patching code into a library or adding a routine is not what I would
consider easy.
I was addressing the method the other person suggested for what is
trivial under Windows.

If there is another way so be it.
>Obviously, you don't know what SVGALib is.  If you did, you wouldn't be
>making that comparison.

Don't tell me. It's a library filled with Super VGA's?
>Please stop making yourself look dumb.

So tell me then, why did the other person suggest some *.c
library/routine patch?

Does one have to be a programmer to screen dump in Linux?

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:34:35 -0700

> In a reply to someone, i reminded myself of the fact that the
> Linux-community as a whole hasn't really come up with any good
> innovations yet. We're blaming Microsoft for something we're ourselves
> guilty of.
> Everything we have is basically copied from Unix, Apple and Microsoft.
>
> Maybe it would be good to start a thread about this. Would anybody
> have any ideas? Is anybody missing something from the whole of OS's?
> Please, no trolls/flames about Linux being 'perfect', because nothing
> ever is, there's ALWAYS room for improvement. No comparisons with
> other OS's either, please. Try to make this a pure Linux issue.
>
> Maybe somebody has an good idea for better user interaction? For
> instance, talk to your computer and have it respond by talking to you,
> or something. Good ideas for interaction with the physically/mentally
> impaired?
>
> Maybe there are some good ideas about performance or computer
> architectures? Endokernel/Exokernel? Something other than CPU/MEM/IO?
> Neural networks?

I have lots of ideas for the user interface.

Like a light-gray shadow cursor that will show where the text cursor will be
if you click their.  Or miniwindows behind the current application that peek
out along the sides of the screen, click on a mini-window and the two
applications swap.

But as always, if you want to put innovative stuff in there, you need to
write the code.

------------------------------

From: Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:59:38 GMT

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:35:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >Another example of Linux lacking. You have to insert code in order to
> >take a screen dump...Pitiful this Linux is...Pitiful indeed...
>
>       So? How again would you make a screen dump at the OS level
>       while running a game like Doom or X-Wing or even just running
>       a DOS app like WP or 123?

Run them in DOSEmu with xdos and then use gimp or xv to grab the "DOS in a
BOX" running Doom, X-Wing, WP or 123 ;-)

This is not at the OS level of course, but pretty easy.

Bart

------------------------------

From: Tim Schwenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help ... ... P l e a s e ?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:52:52 GMT

> On Thu, 04 May 2000 04:06:32 GMT,
>  tom, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>
> >Okay, we're bumping up against the edge of my technical know-how, so
> >let me just give a couple more details on what I did.
> >
> >My c: drive is 8.6G (FAT32), of which I had around 6.5G free.  After
> >doing a scandisk & defrag, I rebooted with a boot disk containing fips
> >and carved 2G off the tail end of the drive for Linux.  At this point,
> >Windows did not recognize the new partition (although of course it knew
> >free space had shrunk by 2G) and for some reason, I thought that I
> >could not install before it did, so I formatted it (from DOS, not
> >fips).  I don't know if it's called a logical drive, DOS partition or
> >what, but it's showing up in Explorer as a separate drive.
> >
> >I don't know what you mean by "native partition".  Does that refer to
> >the 2G's state BEFORE I formatted it, when Windows didn't recognize it?
> >(with no existing file system)
> >
> >As far as your reference to umsdos, Armed Linux would have used this (&
> >I did get it to install, but it wouldn't boot).  However, Caldera 2.3
> >and Corel are regular, full versions of Linux.  Maybe that's the issue?
> >(the partition needs to be formatted in Linux's file system?)
> >
> >Tom
>

> <snip> and butting in here
>
> yes, you pretty much have it, the "new" drive after formatting in Dos, is
> not a linux native partition and thus will not work with (eg) Corel or
> Caldera. You need at least two partitions for the Corel or Caldera install,
> one, a swap partition of 2 times your Ram, or 128Mb, (whichever is smaller)
> and the other, a linux ext2 partition for the OS itself. Both can be carved
> out of that 2Gb partition. There is a complication with lilo, which
> expects the kernel image to be below the 1024th cylinder, but this is only

To be precise, the kernel must reside on a partition that is entirely
below the 1024th cylinder.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I spent a
day struggling with this myself a couple years ago.

If I'm not mistaken Mandrake (which is what I would recommend for a
newbie) will install just fine if all you do is clear the room on your
drive.  In other words, it will take care of the partitioning and make
the swap and ext2 fs for you.  Just pop the cd in and boot from it.  If
you can't boot from cd, follow the instructions on the cd to rawrite a
boot floppy, and you should be in business.

However, due to the difficulties you've had so far, I would not be
surprised if you have some hardware that is causing you problems.

Good luck!

> a problem on some older Bios. Your's may or may not have this problem. If
> it does, there are a couple of options, either use Loadlin to fire up linux
> from Win/Dos, or some other boot loader like System Commander (I think that
> is the name of the norton one.)

Yes, System Commander is the beast, and it works quite nicely.

------------------------------

From: Tim Schwenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:57:49 GMT

>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > No, you just need enough available space on the current drive to use
> > fips or partition magic, or partition resizer to squeeze windows over
> a bit.
>
> Actually, I thought that's what I did.  Of the appr. 6.5G available, I
> carved 2G off the tail end to dedicate to Linux.
>
> So the install program isn't smart enough to recognize where it's being
> put and handle the boot setup on it's own, eh?  I've heard the

No, it's not smart enough to read your mind and figure out that you want
it to install on the partition which you have just freshly formatted
win32!  To the installer, this now looks just like your primary win
partition, and I'm sure that's not where you want linux installed. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:58:03 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:20:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 22:06:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>() wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:22:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>Typical Linux...You need all of the add ons to perform basic
>>>functions.
>>>

>>>"Sir, would you like 4 tires with that new Corvette or will you take
>>>the stock model"?
>>>
>>>What a joke....
>>

>>"My ford didn't come with a radio;  (actually I'm too stupid to be able
>>to find it in the dash)"
>>
>>How pathetic.
>
>That's a case of good judgement on your part. Factory stock radios
>tend to be overpriced and not up to the quality that you can get in
>the aftermarket.
>
>You made a wise decision.
>
>Unfortunately in my Impala SS I had no choice but to take the factory
>Bose system which sucks. Well, it's not THAT bad but I could have done
>much better for less money than I probably paid for it.

Actually, he asked for a radio to be installed because he hadn't the brain
capacity to scan the entire dash for the current instalation.  The
installer simply pointed out where it was and charged him for a new radio.

He keeps trying to bitch at ford for not giving him a radio, but they just
laugh at him.

------------------------------

From: Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 01:34:38 GMT

On 6 Jun 2000, Pete Goodwin wrote:

> It's got nothing to do with Windows and Linux being different things. I
> went through the entire Gimp menu, on both it's main menu and its picture
> window. Print is not there.

Well, I don't know why your distro ships such a limited gimp then. The
gimps from both Debian 2.1 and 2.2 have it. Specifically the File menu
which you get by right-clicking on e.g. a jpeg picture looks like this to
me:

New
Open
Save
Save as
Preferences
===========
Close
Quit
===========
Mail image
Print

with the default keybindings, which are ridiculously easy to change!

I don't know about yours. Does it just miss the "Print" item?

Bart

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:50:38 GMT

In article <5ih%4.640$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >Like it or not, Internet Explorer *IS* Innovative in many ways.
Nobody
> else
> > >created a componentized web browser (Netscape 6 copies IE in many
ways in

> > That's not "innovation" that's just applying a different development
> > paradigm to the same problem. Breaking one big chunk of code into
lots
> > of little ones isn't "innovation" unless it's 1953.
>
> I didn't say it was innovation.  I said it was innovative.  Stop
trying to
> use a word which does not apply.  Those two words mean different
things.
> Look them up.

Buzzz, wrong again franky! Out of my Websters Vest Pocket Dictionary

in-no-va-tion n. : new idea or method -in-no-va-tive adj. -in-no-va-tor
n.

You really need to quit cutting your high school classes.

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Major linux problem "permissions"
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 02:03:37 GMT

Is apache allowed to execute cgi's?
What are the permissions set to? Do they perl script need to be run suid
root? If so, you may need
#! /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/perl -$
or on RH 6.2 just use
#! /usr/bin/suidperl

I had a similar problem and if they need be suid,
chmod 4751 *.pl
and try either sudo or suidperl