From: "Bracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Larry Ellison
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:44:17 GMT

In article <ck__5.11979$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Bob Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     (Didn't Ellison do a parody of the VW spot along with Gates targeted
>     at Sun? Correct me if I misremember.)

Wrong, it was Steve Ballmer with Bill Gates.

Bracy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (stelex)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:36:24 GMT

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:24:50 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's a fucking concept, just PLUG IT IN.
>
>Doesn't work?  Put in the CDROM that "it" is asking for, and get about your
>business.
>
>That's something that Linux can NEVER copy.

Linux is a kernel, it doesn't copy anything; configure it to suport
USB and, just plug it in!

[ ]   Preliminary USB device filesystem :
Say Y here if you want to plug devices into your computer while
the system is running, and be able to use them quickly.  In many
cases, the devices can likewise be unplugged at any time too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED....
Date: 17 Dec 2000 04:28:55 -0800

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Name one thing, just one thing Microsoft actually
>invented.

What's the point?  It's very hard to find *any* software for *any*
platform that wasn't in some way anticipated, or inspired, or influenced
by something earlier.  No matter what anyone names, you'll be able to
show that Microsoft didn't invent it...just like you'd be able to show
that Sun and Apple, for example, did not invent anything, if you wished.

Try asking a meaningful question, if you actually want answers.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Date: 17 Dec 2000 04:32:49 -0800

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:03:57 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Logitech decided to add one.  MS also had the new optical mouse first,
>Logitech licensed the technology about 6 months later again (as did Apple).

And as did Microsoft...the new optical mouse was developed by HP.  I
believe that is mentioned on one of Microsoft's descriptions of it on
their web site.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux.
Date: 17 Dec 2000 04:57:01 -0800

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's another interesting - unsolvable thread.
>
>Name the THING you can do with Windows you
>CAN NOT do with Linux.

You seem to be the master of asking meaningless questions.  With
sufficient work, anything Windows can do, Linux can do, and anything
Linux can do, Windows can do.

There are certainly things that you can do easily on one that you can't
do easily on the other.  If that is what you are asking, here are some
that come to mind on the Windows side:

1. Play Everquest.

2. Develop and debug multithreaded C++ code.  (Although there was a
recent "Ask Slashdot" that covered debugging multithreaded code on
Linux, and that may contain pointers to debugging tools that handle it).

3. Fast 3D graphics.  (Yeah, I know about Mesa...but it can be a pain in
the ass to get 3D working well on Linux, due to driver issues).

4. 3D sound.  Pretty easy on Windows.  DirectSound has built-in support
for surround sound.  I've heard that there may be sound libraries for
doing 3D sound on Linux.

5. Component software.  COM rocks.  Yeah, there is CORBA on Linux, but
it is not nearly as mature as COM on Windows.

6. Java?

7. Web browsing.  Netscape and Mozilla bite on Linux.  Konqueror from
KDE looks pretty damned good, but there are still a lot of holes in its
javascript support.  Once they fix those (and I'm sure they will...the
KDE guys are awesome), this item can be dropped from the list.

8. ICQ.  This is a close one to call.  The official Windows ICQ client
is pretty bad.  However, all the Linux ones I've found use the "show the
message, then get rid of that window while you type a response, then get
rid of that window when you hit send" model.  I much prefer the model
where it has a window that shows the last several things from both
parties, and a separate pane where you enter your responses.  I've still
got a half dozen Linux ICQ clients I've downloaded but have not tried
yet, so maybe one will do better in this area, and then this item can be
stricken from the list.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: Ilja Booij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 17 Dec 2000 14:17:34 +0100

"Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > And what OSes are less of an administrative headache?
>
> Well, Windows has gone a long way into making administrative tasks easier,
> and more straightforward.  Apple is showing that UNIX can be powerful and
> simple to administer.  And for the diehard maschorist, editing the legacy
> UNIX settings is also available.
>
> > > Exactly, it was invented in the 60's, instituted in the 70's, and
> abandoned
> > > in the 90's.  Why?  Because the OS is a whole component, it's programs
> are
> > > another component.  Blending the two togather is an unnessecary,
> complicated
> > > and dumb idea when we no longer have to resolve issues as "terminal
> > > compatibility" and "technological propriotorization".
> > >

> > And does Linux blend them together more than other OSes?
>
> No, Linux splits the user interface and treats it like it were a program.
> UNIX did this because IT HAD NO CHOICE.  Linux does this because...???
> Well, the CLAIMS are pretty lame, ("Winloosers" is the worst excuse I've
> ever herd for keeping Linux being as intuitave as a rectal exam.)

Name any advantage for making the GUI a part of the operating system
(and don't just say that's "it's the way of the new century" of
something, just name a REAL advantage.

Ilja

------------------------------

From: Ilja Booij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: 17 Dec 2000 14:33:06 +0100

Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> the_blur wrote:
>
> > Also, Linux distroes must get a working GUI on the system asap in the
> > installation process,
>
> * must * is too stong a word.  A well designed tui installer is every
> bit as useful a well-designed gui installer.

often more usefull. no irritating graphics to distract you from what
you're doing, just simple questions (with often simple answers)

i tried the RH6.1 graphical install once.. took me twice as long to
navigate through that.

then again, the RH6.1 install was quick and clean compared to the
graphics-fest of a Windows98 install.

Ilja

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:42:55 +0200

"Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:RrX_5.95278$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> : 2)  If going through a proxy, great, Netcraft measures the proxy box,
not
> : the web servers.  If you're scenario is correct, then Netcraft reports
the
> : Unix, not the NT.  So what?  There are plenty of NT sites out there that
> : don't use balancing, which can be reported on.  Besides, this is true
for
> : Unix sites as well, so it should balance out.
>
> So what? It means that the numbers are not accurate at best. Besides, if
> Netcraft reports Unix instead of NT wouldn't it mean that all of the
uptime
> for Unix is actually NT :)?

Actually, this would cause a big problem to Netcraft.
Unix reports its uptime in 10s of ms, NT in 100s of ms.
If  a unix report the uptime, and it's an NT server that Netcraft detect,
the uptime drop down like a rock.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Is Windows an operating system like Linux?
Date: 17 Dec 2000 13:53:01 GMT

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:25:46 +1000, Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well I guess so if you want to be pedantic and rehash another done-to-death
>boring thread.
I thought mlw's article was rather clever myself :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What if Linux wasn't free?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:14:37 GMT

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > And the same can be said of the Windows user.
> > >
> > > Despite the bullshit, Windows is making a systems administrator
> > > out of everyone these days.
> >
> > They're supposedly making Win2K certification a bit more stringent...
Time
> > will tell.
> >

> Is this going to be the normal definition of stringent, or
> the Microshaft definition of stringent?  (every other commonly
> used word seems to have a different definition when used by MS)

That's the problem with usenet, you couldn't see that my tongue was firmly
planted in cheek.

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions
reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:20:59 GMT

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Tholen...
> > >    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> > >    remember to slit lengthwise.
> >
> > ....Along the femoral artery. It's quicker that way.
>
> Let's see if Tholen can follow directions...

He'll probably misplace them in his ass like he did his head, I'm afraid.

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:24:59 GMT

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Seems like people are having trouble naming ONE THING
> > > Microsoft invented.
> > >
> > > So I'll try it again on it's OWN THREAD.
> > >
> > > Name one thing, just one thing Microsoft actually
> > > invented.
> > >
> > > You don't even have to give me a LINK to prove it.
> > >

> > 1. The BSOD.
> >
> > 2. The General Protection Fault.
> >
> > 3. Those silly little "call customer support" compiler errors that go
away
> > the next time you compile.
> >
> > Actually, Component Object Model technology is rather clever. Did
someone
> > there come up with that?
>
> Think hard.....what is Microsoft's history of "innovation" ???
>

> >                          I'm not sure...
>
> Doubt is the safe choice.

Actually Jim Springfield, a Microsoft programmer, managed to come up with
the Active Template Library (ATL) and its' quite useful. As they say, the
best orchids grow in shit. <g>

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:29:37 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ltH_5.3425$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson writes:
>
> > Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> > Nah, desparate for a recursive twit filter..
>
> So it can ultimately work on you?

...for me.

> >> Goddamn, Tholen... somebody offers you clever and helpful advice,
> >> and you insult him in return.
> >>
> >> What a fucking ingrate you are.
>
> > And, to think I was going to add that he do it in a hot bath so as
> > not to cause himself undue pain...
>
> Desperate for attention, eh Tom?

No, merely in need of your keen wisdom.

> > You wound me, Tholen.
>
> Illogical, Tom.

Sarcasm, Tholen.

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:18:08 GMT

i've got the 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter for the cable modem for my pc.

the driver has been installed to Win98 sys. and runs ok to connect to
internet.

now, i'd like to install the driver into the redhat 5.2 system.  can any1
pls help??  where should i get it configured???

tx in advance.

chilli

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:35:01 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tom Wilson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:58:05 GMT
> <hak_5.1352$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> BY THE WAY!   {FACTOID}
> >>
> >> I started this thread to talk about the hacking into of
> >> Microsoft and the theft of their operating system code
> >> including Whistler.
> >>
> >> Isn't it interesting the comments and opinions of
> >> the vast moron Windows using public.
> >>
> >> They are not even remotely concerned with the possibilities
> >> of new hacks and viruses which will be launched due to
> >> this code theft.
> >
> >There are a fair number of professionals out there who are rightly
concerned
> >about it. The home user couldn't care less, though.
>
> *This* home user might...if he were using Microsoft. :-)
> (I haven't booted my dual-boot machine into Windows 95
> for 83 days now -- see below.)

Unfortunately, I hang around on the Microsoft partition most of the time
(Programming). As soon as I slap together a machine powerful enough to run
VMWare, that will change. I'm not about to try running Visual Studio 6 under
Wine :)

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:35:55 -0500

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Seems like people are having trouble naming ONE THING
> Microsoft invented.
>
> So I'll try it again on it's OWN THREAD.
>
> Name one thing, just one thing Microsoft actually
> invented.
>
> You don't even have to give me a LINK to prove it.

Digital-optical technology for joysticks. For a time, and maybe even now,
they have the best, most precise joysticks on the market.

The Windows key, it saves you from having to press CRTL-ESC

and last of all:

Vicious anti-competitive tactics, that provided a nice homogenous field for
game developpers so we can have tons of great games that all comply to a
defacto standard for 3d, 2d and networking!

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:57:11 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:RFk_5.438$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson writes:
>
> > Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> >> Tholen...
> >>
> >> When you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> >> remember to slit lengthwise.
> >>
> >> Or maybe you can offer yourself to one of the local Hawaiian volcano
gods.

> > I think the point of that exercise is to appease the volcano, and not to
> > piss it off royally.
>
> Yet another person more interested in invectice than a logical argument.
> No surprise there.

Levity is the only response I have to this particular thread. A Plato-like
dialog on the intuitiveness of a simple toggle switch that stretches into
weeks. Pedants on parade, as it were.

Paradise Lost's bulk with a Nila Wafer's substance...

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org