From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are all the astroturfers?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:23:29 -0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Why is it that every time Microsoft has a big setback, the steady-state
> level of astroturfing here drops almost to nothing for a few days?  Do
> they all get called back to Redmond for a strategy meeting or
> something?  Did Bill fire them for failing to influence the outcome?
> Are they hurriedly trying to learn something besides VB to put on there
> resumes?
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

While I do not think they are all paid MS employees, it does seem
strange. I have noticed a similar behavior myself.

So, probably, by midweek, next week, we will see some "Justice will
prevail on appeal" posts.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Winmodem
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:26:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A quick question: I'm thinking of trying out Linux (probably SuSE), but
> I have a US Robotics Winmodem.  I know it is incompatible, but is it
> still worthwhile running a dual Windows (for internet) and Linux
> system - or does that kind of miss the point?

I would bag the WinModem and dig up $29 for a real modem. Even if you
don't like Linux, the real modem is a better peripheral. WinModem's are
like factory radios in Ford Escorts, not worth the price of
installation.

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:31:06 -0400
From: Donavon Pfeiffer Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north

Marty wrote:

> Peter Ammon wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "capable of TCP/IP," but I wrote several
> > CGI scripts that accepted data from a POST form along with WebStar.
>
> REXX is capable of opening its own sockets and acting as a client or server.
> In addition, it is capable of accessing the OO API of the shell.  Someone has
> used both of these facts to create their own OO drag-n-drop FTP client
> entirely in REXX.
>
> > I don't know much about REXX, but I suspect that AppleScript has one
> > advantage over it: the ability to record scripts by clicking the record
> > button and performing actions like you normally would.
>
> REXX is a fully-blown language.  That would be like expecting your system to
> generate C code based on your recorded actions.  The thing that makes REXX
> really useful (even for amateurs) is the fact that it can be interpreted, can
> generate and interpret more REXX as it is running, and the language is really
> loose and powerful.  It can put together a REXX statement in a variable and
> then tell the interpreter to execute that string.  One more thing:  as
> implemented in OS/2, it's the fastest interpretted language I've ever seen.

        Also as implemented in OS/2 its file management functionality is
powerful.(Try to read the S_IFDIR bit with java).

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux? The Kings New Clothes!!!
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:28:58 -0400

Mig Mig wrote:

> Why must you guys allways pollute everything!? You just cant do anything
> right!

How many times has this exact sentance been applied to Microsoft?

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.
Visit http://www.mohawksoft.com
Have you noticed the way people's intelligence capabilities decline
sharply the minute they start waving guns around?

comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:41:56 GMT

On 06/09/2000 at 11:21 AM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman) said:

> =BB  I can only imagine that you
> =BBmust be self-employed as I can't imagine a company putting up with
> =BBefficiency penalties that using inferior tools would bring in.

> That just proves that you will propound your opinion as if  it were a
> fact written in stone without having a leg to  stand on. No different
> than your pronouncements about OS/2,  actually.

Here, I absolutely agree with you. I am sure Brad would be shocked to fin=
out how many small and mid-size companies refuse to replace DOS/Windows
3.11, WordPerfect 5.1, etc., etc. Many companies don't replace what ain't=

broke!

=====================
Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19zf Registration Number 67

====================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: 10 Months of my time wasted on Linux. Back to Microsoft for me!
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:45:23 +0200

It was the Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:38:55 GMT...
...and Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 2 wrote:
>
> > Also, why does everybody go on so much about fonts in X. Why not just
> > download ttxfs and shut up about it.
>
> That helps a lot, but it's still not anti-aliasing. Compare it with
> gv: in this application you can turn on/off anti-aliasing in the
> "state" menu. This application (in combination with ghostscript) of course
> does the rendering itself and hence can do it.
>
> Of course there is somebody working on it. So read
> http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/render.html
> and _then_ shut up about it.

AFAIK, the biggest problem is that X considers fonts to have a colour
depth of 1 bit. Full stop. Hard to bypass that...

mawa
--
The fact that they produce _Sindbad_, _Baywatch_ and _PENSACOLA_ makes
me not only doubt the United States' qualification as /de facto/ ruler

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:56:25 GMT

On 06/09/2000 at 08:06 AM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stephen) said:

> Actually the Arrow basically was just an airframe.  The real  tehnical
> prowess was in the Orenda built engines that
> outperformed all others by a 50% margin.  The other technical
> advantage was in the control system.  Only in the past 25 years  has
> "fly by wire" been used to a great extent in aircraft.  The  Arrrow had
> "fly by Wire" in 1958!  The controls were also  seperate from the stick
> controls in the cockpit and responded to  a "computer system" much like
> modern aircraft today such as the  CF18.

Well, here I must strongly disagree. I have just under 32,000 hours in the
log, and I will neither fly a FBW airplane without an ejection seat and
parachute nor ride in one. I do not consider this an advance in any way
for commercial aircraft. Had the survivors of the Iowa DC10 crash been on
an AirBus A320 or any other FBW aircraft they too would be dead.

>  However Canada did succeed in showing up the US industry in much the
> same way they did with the Arrow, when they flew the worlds  first
> "Jetliner" into La Guardia (actually it was whatever it was called in
> 1947) airport.  the New York Times put it on the front  page and
> embarrasingly reported to the American public that a  small country of
> 10 million had usurped the entire US aircraft  industry.

That is revisionist history. What an imagination. At the time, 1947,
Boeing was only one of many commercial aircraft manufacturers. Ever heard
of Douglas? Convair? Lockheed? DeHavilland? Each of them and several other
companies in England and France were making transport aircraft. Had the
prototype to which you refer had any technical merit, it would have
entered scheduled service.

> Were it not for foolish polititians at the time (again to be  repeated
> 10 years later with the Arrow) the "Jetliner" was doomed to never make
> it to market.  Had the go-ahead for production been done, Canada would
> have a legitimate rival to Boeing.

Right, Blame the politicians for the lack of merit of a failed product. It
couldn't be the fault of bad engineering, poor design. It had to be the
government's fault. Give me a break.

> A Canadian also introduced a major innovation in all modern  aircraft,
> with the first flying aircraft that sported movable  sections of wing
> (aileron, rudder, and elevator controls).  Prior to that most aircraft
> were basically controlled by wing warpage  ala the Wright brothers.  All
> modern aircraft use the innovative  (at the time) methods introduced by
> Alexander Graham Bell.  Oh  yea, by the way, he also invented the
> telephone.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The Wright Flyer had a hinged canard for elevator
control and a movable rudder. It did use wing warping. And before Bell got
involved with the Wright brothers, Glen Curtis introduced aelirons.

> Another Canadian first is the worlds first commercial sattelite.  A
> communications sattelite for Canada's people.  All other  sattelites at
> the time were military, or test probes.

And just which Canadian rocket launched it?

> All in all Canadians have a great reason to be proud of the  engineering
> and high tech innovation that they have done in the  past, and continue
> to do in the present.  It is a pity that the  rest of the world really
> does not know much about Canada.

Their reputations are not enhanced by chauvinistic flights of fancy such
as you post.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19zf Registration Number 67

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:36:06 GMT

On 06/08/2000 at 06:36 PM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Leblanc) said:

> When 70% of your clientele is French, if you had the choice betwen two
> equally competent men and one of them only speak english and the other
> speak both french and english. Which one would you hire?

In a free country, I would choose the one who had the highest test score.
If they were identical, I would choose the older. But in your province, I
do not have that choice because your overbearing goverment requires
bi-lingualism for employment.

From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:36:03 GMT

On 06/08/2000 at 05:02 PM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> I didn't offer any commentary other than to include the quote. Your
> comment on Lousisana is noted.
> (from www.senate.gov/learning/stat_13.html)

> " 12th Congress (1811-1813)
> " Majority Party: Republican (30 seats)
> " Minority Party: Federalist (6 seats)
> " Other Parties: 0
> " Total Seats: 36

That was the final tally. The 35th and 36th Senators were not seated until
after July 4, 1812, after the vote to which you referred.

Under our system, were Puerto Rico to seek statehood, it would require an
act of Congress signed by the President. Then Puerto Rico would be
admitted. However, they have to hold elections for those Senators AFTER
admission. Official admission is July 4 following enactment of the Act of
Admission.

From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:36:01 GMT

On 06/08/2000 at 12:05 PM,
   Jack Troughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Sure you did. I'd refer you to another post in this thread from Alan
> Baker, a Vancouverite. You are talking bullshit about which you know
> nothing again, Bob.

No need to reply to the various nonsense you posted. This one alone proves
what you are.

Three other Canadians have refuted what you post. The signs along the
Trans-Canada Highway are indeed bi-lingual from Vancouver all the way to
Calgary.

You are now in my killfile. You join a very unsavory group which includes
only Tim Martin, Eric Funkenbusch, and Steven Akins.

From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:36:07 GMT

On 06/08/2000 at 11:35 PM,
   John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:06:52 GMT, Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >On 06/08/2000 at 09:00 AM,
> >   John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >

> >> My attributions are just fine.  They say exactly what you said they did.
> >
> >> John Wiltshire
> >
> >No they were not. You attributed to me a paragraph in which both inferior
> >and superior were incorrectly spelled and in which the word wintroll was
> >used. I did not write that paragraph no matter how many times you try to
> >get people to believe what has now escalated to the level of outright
> >lying on your part.

> Here's the exact quote (no chevrons added - check it for yourself at
> deja or on your own machine if you like):

You are a worthless, useless, stupid, dense liar. I wrote the line which you attribute
to Lund. I wrote it in a reply to one of your stupid, baseless, lies.

Here is the entire message where the line originated:

On 06/04/2000 at 11:59 AM,
   John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> This is true from a core OS point of view.  From a UI point of view
> (which is what I was talking about), MacOS has continued to go forward.
> OS 7 -> OS 8 -> OS 9 were all pretty decent steps in UI terms even if
> the core OS never really changed.

If the MAC OS was superior to those available for the Intel platform, it
would be dominant. It was rejected by the marketplace.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19zf Registration Number 67

That asshole is where the line originated. Not from someone else.

Now either post an abject apology or shut the hell up and to away.

You are an infantile MAC supporter who has not business here in the first place. This
is an OS/2 advocacy newsgroup. As bad as wintrolls are, you are orders of magnitude
more obnoxious, rude, stupid, and arrogant. Go have sex with a platypus. That's about
your speed anyway.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Innovation
Date: 9 Jun 2000 13:23:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nathaniel Jay Lee  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The one cool thing happening that is definitely inovative in the Linux
>world is in user interfaces.  Of course, any of them can be used on any
>Unix, but Linux is the driving force behind many of them.  Look at
>Enlightenment for one example (maybe you don't think it's innovative,
>but it looks pretty cool, and doesn't seem to be things that have been
>done before).  The best though is something called 3Dsia that is being
>developed.  I played around with the original demonstration version of
>it and it rocks.  It is a 3D user environment.  The eventual hope is
>that the network and local directories will appear in the 3D view
>together.  Also, it looks like you will be able to see other users and
>where they are in the environment (for multi-user environments).  It is
>really a very interesting and extremely innovative idea.  It completely
>throws everything we "believe" about user environments out the window
>and starts with a fresh perspective.  If you want to check it out it's
>at http://threedsia.sourceforge.net .  It is definitely worth a look if
>you are interested in seeing computer use change from the usual flat
>thinking "Windows" type of environments.

Wow, this looks great!  It's actually based on the Cyberspace
VR concept in William Gibson's books -- _Neuromancer_, etc.

I can't wait to feel that lethal surge of voltage in my brain
electrodes when I hit a wall of Black ICE!

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Different types of linux
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 06:24:07 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1) Does anyone know where I could find a detailed description of what
> each of the different versions of linux is geared for and/or the
> benefits/pros  and cons of each?
> Looked at www.linux.org. Didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Perhaps someone else can give a direct answer for what you're asking.

Meanwhile, I'd say that for just giving it a try, or for getting started,
you can pick almost any one you want.  While there are differences, they
all have a lot more in common with each other than any of them do with
Windows.  After you've used it for a while you will naturally become more
aware of what's available, and then you can change distributions without
*too* much trouble, if you decide you want to.

The most important thing is, if you've got friends that are trying Linux
you should agree with them and all try the same distro, since multiple
brains almost always work better than a single one.

> 2)Also, windows 98 is allready installed in my PC. Firgure I'd keep it
> for my Mom to use, since she's never going to do anything major anyway.
> Is there anyone of place that offers repartitioning help for this sort
> of problem? I prefer detailed instructions since there are no little
> difference when screwing with my hard drive.

This is really dangerous business if you don't know what you are doing.
(Pretty darn dangerous if you *do* know what you're doing.)  Do you have
any way to back up your Windows system?  If not, and if you have a CD that
you could re-install Windows from, you might want to back up just your
personal files onto a Zip drive.  (There's no real need to back up your
software, since you can always re-install it from scratch.  It would save
the time of reinstalling, but that contrasts with your personal files,
which you cannot get back at all if you do not have a backup.)

The actual instructions depend on what tool you are going to use.  Some
general information can be found at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.3.  I think
there is enough information there to let you do it with a little
experimentation, but of course experimentation is *not* recommended if you
don't have backups.

One problem I had last time I repartitioned a dual-boot system was that
Windows had a lot of "hidden" files that were not moved by the defragger.
This made it impossible for me to create new partitions of the size I
wanted.  I think there is a way to move those files under Windows, but you
should look in to that before you start the partitioning, to save yourself
some frustration.

Finally, you might want to consider buying a book, or a distro that comes
with a book. Or, since you are apparently at a big university, you might
try the library.  (I see from the Web catalog that my uni lib has _Running
Linux_, which I've never read, but have heard recommended on many
occasions.  The Web cat record claims that it has a "comprehensive
installation tutorial", so perhaps it will help on the partitioning.)

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pascal Haakmat)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: 9 Jun 2000 13:31:28 GMT

>There may be some
>technical reasons why a command line might be more powerful, but that's not
>really why we use them.  We don't use command lines because they're better,
>and certainly not because somebody forced us.  We actually use them because
>we like them.

Hurrah!

Rate your CSMA savvy by identifying the writing styles of
ancient and recent, transient and perdurable CSMA inhabitants:
(35 posters, 259 quotes)
<http://awacs.dhs.org/csmatest>

From: Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dissecting Microsoft -- Where are all the astroturfers?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:45:41 GMT

> it's richer than any person in the world,

There is a very rich person at oracle. I think he is richer then this
worm you ar talking about. :-)

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax         _/_/_/
http://users.pandora.be/skatan  _/_/  _/ _/_/   _/_/_/    _/_/   _/   _/