From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just exactly what IS Linux, anyway?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:37:40 -0400

mlw wrote:

> You are working on a misconception. Linux is not Windows. It isn't
> designed like Windows and it doesn't work like Windows, and as such,  it
> doesn't suck like Windows.
>
> The Linux kernel, the only portion that can be called Linux, is just the
> collection of services and drivers which allow your system to run
> programs. On top of which run a huge number of programs which makeup a
> "GNU/Linux" distribution.
>
> Which part, other than the kernel, should be considered as owned by
> Linux? XFree? That's available for almost any platform, even Windows.
> KDE/Gnome? They can compile on almost any version of UNIX, and are also
> part of the FreeBSD distribution. How about StarOffice? Is that also
> part of Linux? It comes with a few distributions.
>
> Metaphors in the Windows world to not usually have a clear translation
> to the UNIX world. While I think that it may slow the spread of UNIX in
> the short term, I am sure it will help it in the long term.
>
> Think of Windows and NT as a wooden pre-fab building or mobile home. The

it's not nearly that sturdy.  More like one of those cheesy aluminum
pieces of crap.

[Actually, WOODEN pre-fabs are actually high quality houses. Since
component sections are built in a factory: workers are  out of the
elements; don't have to haul their equipment around from job-site
to job-site; no scheduling problems between different types of
contractors (rough-in, electrical, drywall, painters, etc)...
AND they usually are designed to pass construction code in ALL 50
states...so, if it's of wooden construction, even a prefab-sectional
house in Michigan will be built to Florida's hurricane-proof building
code.

> [...]
> >
> > Linux is claimed to be "just a kernel" which, in and of itself, is not much
> > good. It requires many GNU utilities, at an absolute minimum, and SOME type
> > of GUI, to be considered "useable" as a desktop system.
> >
> > Almost all distributions of "Linux" come with one or more GUI desktop
> > environments, and 99% of the people who want to try Linux as an alternative
> > to Windows will install one of these desktops. In order to make Linux an
> > "equivalent" environment to Windows, you HAVE to say that these GUIs are
> > part of the overall operating environment, or "system." If you don't, then
> > you leave yourself open to the argument that Linux is just a kernel, and, as
> > such, is pretty much useless.
> >
> > I think it's time we took ownership of the various GUI desktops that ship in
> > GNU/Linux distributions, even if it means acknowledging certain flaws in
> > each. After all, to be really "useable" as a desktop environment, a GUI must
> > be installed.
> >
> > This of course does not mean that one can't argue that the separation of the
> > GUI from the kernel adds to the stability of the core OS, and that this
> > design is superior to the various flavors of Windows. But then we must
> > accept that this separation invites certain problems, such as a lack of
> > basic feature integration (cut and paste, drag and drop, etc.)
> >
> > If this means that we must still be "elitist" in recommending Linux to only
> > those people who are willing to sacrifice a certain amount of "useability"
> > in favor of increased stability at the core level, then so be it. I, for
> > one, am willing to concede that the various GUI desktops are not yet at the
> > level of Windows in terms of total integration, because I know that rapid
> > progress is being made, and that they will soon reach that level, and even
> > surpass it.
> >
> > I don't yet use Linux for "everything" in my business; as evidenced by the
> > fact that I am still using OE to post this. I use Microsoft products to
> > generate quotes, invoices, track my repairs, produce reports, and do my
> > accounting. I DO use Linux for intranet web servers print servers, CAD
> > workstations, and programming. I have more Linux machines in my office than
> > Windows machines, and someday, I will probably do the bulk of my work on
> > Linux machines. I will probably NEVER rid myself totally of MS products, due
> > to the nature of my business. But it doesn't really matter, because I am not
> > out to destroy Microsoft. They are doing a pretty good job of that on their
> > own.
> >
> > --
> > Rich C.
> > "Because light travels faster than sound, many people appear to be
> > intelligent, until you hear them speak."
>
> --
> Mohawk Software
> Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.
> Visit http://www.mohawksoft.com
> Nepotism proves the foolishness of at least two people.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux code going down hill
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:39:15 -0400

abraxas wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <8jnfn7$28pv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:

> >> Solaris is an exceedingly specialized UNIX, linux is not UNIX at
> >> all.  Linux is 'gnu-nux'.
> >
> > Well, if you REALLY want to nit-pick, Solaris isn't Unix either,
> > and I don't understand "highly specialized".  What exactly is it
> > highly specialized for?  Runs nicely as a desktop, database
> > server, web server, application server, X terminal server,
> > computational node, file server, names serveretc.
>
> So does VMS.  Most OSes do.
>
> > Specialized
> > OSes are more like real-time systems for data aquisitions,
> > manufacturing, telephony, etc.
> >

> Sorry, replace "specialized" with "shrink-wrapped, highly focused
> target market OS".
>
> >> If you do not know exactly why you need solaris, then you do not
> >> need solaris.
> >
> > What does that mean?  If you don't know what you need any software
> > for, you probably don't need it.
> >

> Explain 70 million windows users.

As if most even had a choice.

(Remember, Deskview and everyone else was EXCLUDED from the market
after MickeySoft insisted on Windows being bundled in)

> -----yttrx

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy Newsgroup, Right?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:43:58 GMT

Jacques Guy wrote:
> =

> Cihl wrote:
> =

> > Jacques Guy wrote:
> =

> > > That's not the opinion of the Chinese fellow who runs
> > > the computer shop in Glen Waverley (Melbourne, Australia).
> > > He bitches about hardware incompatibilities when trying
> > > to install Win98.
> =

> > I don't think i quite understand your response. (?)
> > Looks to me that this guy would agree with me.
> =

> What I meant is: this fellow puts PCs together from
> parts from here and there (mostly Taiwan), and, in his
> experience, getting Win98 to "talk" to the hardware is
> not a piece of cake *at all*

Yeah, that's what i said, wasn't it. It's way too easy to get Linux to
be just as easy to install as Windows (NT or 98 doesn't matter)

In many ways Linux is *already* just as easy, if not far easier, than
Windows for installation.

example: how do you partition your harddisk with a
Windows-installation? FDISK? No way! I like to keep my data intact.
And nobody tell me it isn't necessary. I like to keep some data intact
between reinstalls, thank you.

example: what hardware does Windows recognize? That's right: hardly
anything! For every single piece of hardware you have in your computer
you must supply a manufacturer-CD! (Oh, sorry, forgot. Windows 98 SE
sees my NE-2000 PCI card automatically now. Applause!)

Too many people today still have to live with all this useless and
expensive crap. It's about time somebody got them out of it, and as i
see it, Linux is the prime candidate.

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vote for the best WinTroll - COLA Oscars
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:43:46 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Amy is my wife.
>
> Heather is her middle name.
>
> At one time we shared accounts, but she has since gotten her own
> account.
>
> Wonder why that is?

She doesn't like being associated with a moron?

Just askin'

> DP
>
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:29:22 -0500, "Bobby D. Bryant"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >James wrote:
> >
> >> Steve / DP,
> >>
> >> Very good, but you lost points when you posed as the Wong couple.  Even I
> >> could spot your "signature" in that post.
> >> But don't worry, you are still a strong contender.
> >
> >I liked it the time he posted as "Amy" but then *literally* signed it as
> >"Steve".
> >
> >Bobby Bryant
> >Austin, Texas

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:48:19 GMT

Not 500,000,000 innocent people (like hemophiliacs and so forth)
500,000,000 people who are practicing a sick and deviant lifestyle.

DP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:48:20 GMT

BTW there are several errors in your list, most notably I am not Tim
Palmer or piddy or several others.

Also, you omitted several.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:41:58 GMT

> Quoting Roberto Alsina from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Mon, 10 Jul 2000
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels) wrote:
> >
> >> If anything is religious, it's people arguing that their
> >> interpretation of "free" is the only one.
> >
> >And what else has the FSF been doing the last 25 years or so?
> >Oh, they concede the existence of something called "free as in free
> >beer", but they claim sole ownership of the definition of "free
> >as in free speech" to signify only what they say when applied to
> >software.
>
> I don't know of any attempt to claim this exclusively, and certainly
not
> as intellectual property or trademark.  I suspect that no other
> organization has ever applied it to their own licensing policies.
>
> >Just go to a RMS speech and try to tell him that IYHO SCSL software
> >is "free as in free speech" software. See what happens.
>
> I would expect that he would explain why its not, as he seems like an
> intelligent man.

Ok, after he explains, tell him that in your opinion, the SCSL is free,
and continue referring to software licensed under the SCSL as free
software. I bet you $10 that each time you do, he will interrupt you.

>    [...]
> >By this definition, any software for which you can buy a license
> >is free software, since it grants you freedoms beyond current
> >copyright law, as soon as you agree to some restrictions (as
> >everyone understands) like "you must pay me $399 first, and not
> >give it to anyone else".
>
> Commercial licenses do not grant any freedoms beyond current copyright
> law,

If they don't, then the GPL doesn't either. The copyright law, in
principle, grants you no right, except the ones given by the license
itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:39:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stump) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Roberto Alsina  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Mike Stump escribió:
> >A credit card's money is no more virtual than a dollar bill.
>
> :-) Some don't like the notion that the dollar is more virtual
> now-a-days, but I digress.
>
> >A credit card's "dollar" is simply a reference to a dollar you
> >promise to give to the bank in the not too distant future.
>
> You said it yourself, A credit card is a promise of a future dollar.
> It is in fact, not a dollar.  Actually, a credit card isn't even a
> promise, the use of the card creates a promise.  A promise is what I
> think one might reasonably call virtual.  It is close, but when the
> promiss isn't fulfilled, it does differ.

Well, a dollar bill used to be a promise for a certain weight in gold.
Were those dollars virtual?

A argentinian peso is a promise for a dollar. Is my paycheck virtual?
;-)

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:36:15 GMT

> Quoting Roberto Alsina from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Mon, 10 Jul 2000
>    [...]
> >>         As I've stated myself on numerous occasions: if it's truely
> >>         portable "percieved market demand" is a piss poor excuse.
> >
> >If porting to MIPS costs a cent more than what porting to MIPS earns,
> >it's a perfectly good excuse. Just keep it portable, and do the
actual
> >port whenever making a port actually will earn you money.
>
> The only way to keep it portable is to port it.

More or less. You can keep it fairly portable by being careful
and adhering to coding practices. You can keep it more portable by
doing internal ports to other architectures, and not releasing them.
That saves you the QA cost for a time when it makes sense.

> >You know, MS is not in it for the computer theory implications.
>
> They ain't in it for the benefit to the consumer, either.

Of course not. You say it like they should be!
MS is in it to make money.
Red Hat is in it to make money.
Conectiva (my employer) is in it to make money.
The FSF is in it for politics.

Almost noone is in it for the benefit of the consumer, AFAICS, except
for the non-effectual connection "if it helps the consumer=>they will
give me money".

BTW: I can say, that for example, some of us KDE people are in it
to benefit the consumers, but not even all of us.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning! -- SONY SUBSTANDARD SERVICE!
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:49:17 -0400

mlw wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 21:18:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > This idiot has been spamming several newsgroups. I suggest reporting them to
> > their ISP if anyone can trace it.
> >
> > FWIW, I've purchased a 19" monitor from SOny and am 100% satisfied --
> > with  both the quality of the product and the service.
>
> I actually bought a $259 Sony VCR two years ago, after 6 months the
> plastic gears stripped in the tape ejection mechanism. I bought a
> Samsung $109 VCR one and a half years ago and it is still working. BTW,
> it seems to have better audio/visual quality than the Sony.
>
> While I have no experience with Sony depot repair, I think Sony products
> are over priced and poor quality. Their repair policies being shoddy
> does not surprise me.

One exception: Hi-8 format video cameras.  Having shopped very
carefully for one, I must conclude that the Sony products are
actually worth their high price (and so, of course I had to
buy one).  Outside of that... I refuse to pay their prices.
Especially their audio equipment.  Aiwa is usually made in the
same factories, allows more precise user-control (more adjustable
settings) AND usually 1/2 the price.

> --
> Mohawk Software
> Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.
> Visit http://www.mohawksoft.com
> Nepotism proves the foolishness of at least two people.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why use Linux?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:53:27 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Windows will crash at the login prompt if you let it sit for a month.
>
> Rubbish! We have a file server here running Windows 98 SE. It rarely
> crashes, and we rarely reboot it. I think its been rebooted three or

Define "rare"

once a week?
once a month?

> four times in the last one and a half years, and that only to fix a
> hardware problem!
>
> > If you forget about a Windows machine, and it's running any
> > software that someone considers necessary...believe me, you
> > SILL be reminded of that particular machine's existance within
> > a month orso.
>
> More nonsense! See above.

Not in my experience, and I don't even have the thankless job
of supporting LoseDOS

> --
> ---
> Pete
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: 11 Jul 2000 16:56:49 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:27:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:25:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> (1)  Your manner is completely obnoxious. Try to work on it. Either
>that
>>      or your keyboard is broken.
>
>To bad.

You can't even spell "too". I guess it must be your keyboard.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:56:32 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > The truly sad part is that the client suffered and was most likely
> > paying $200/hr for an incompetent programmer.
> >
> > It's amazing what goes on in Computer Rooms these days :(
> >
> > DP
>
> No, the truly sad part is that they fired the guy that did all of the
> screw-ups, and he was the guy that got hired back (paid 4 times as much
> as before, now as an outside consultant) to "clean" the code.  The one
> bright spot is that since he was an outside consultant he no longer had
> to listen to the users whine about wanting new features (what got him in
> trouble in the first place).  Pretty scary huh?

poetic justice for whiney lusers.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:58:12 -0400

"Paul E. Larson" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > time
> >>
> >> One of the following:
> >> (a)     The admins enjoy rebooting for the hell of it
> >
> >Could be management policies that are hold-overs from the 70's.
> >
> Close.
>
> >> (b)     The machine requires regular reboots
> >
> >If case (b) applies, it's due to ill-behaved software (memory leaks).
> >
> Closer.

Some sort of preventative maintenance function.
Master backups with "cold" filesystems or something.

> Paul
>
> --
>
> "Mr. Rusk you not wearing your tie."

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.