From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:40:33 -0400

"Seán Ó Donnchadha" wrote:

> "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > What is this thing you call "right"?  And why should we imagine you have
> > > any better idea of what that abstraction pertains to then you do for
> > > "monopoly", which you've obviously simply made up an almost random
> > > definition for?
> >
> > mo·nop·o·ly
> > n., pl. mo·nop·o·lies.
> >
> > 1.) Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a
> > commodity or service.
> > 2.) Law. A right granted by a government giving exclusive control over a
> > specified commercial activity to a single party.
> >

> JS, haven't you learned yet that neither logic, nor dictionary definitions,
> nor popular definitions, nor legal terms, nor anything else will stop idiots
> like Troll M. Devlin from "thinking harder"? The man is a fucking *ZEALOT*,

Most people are when dealing with liars such as you.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT is stagnant while Linux explodes
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:42:05 -0400

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <9b3a03$5cb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd <todd" <remove>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Let us not forget that Windows has been stagnant for 3 years.  3 years
> >> ago, they were at 39%, now they are at 41%.  And that is with the
> >> strength of a criminal monopoly being leveraged wildly all the way.
> >
> > Ummm... MS has a monopoly ON THE DESKTOP.
> >
> > The server arena is an entirely different matter.
> >
> > And, having a monopoly isn't criminal.  Regarding the trial:  the court
> > will overturn the rule and MS will eventually win.  (My prediction :)
> >
> >> If with that built-in guarantee, they still cannot cut it.  Linux's
> >> momentum is astounding; NT's is basically flat!
> >
> > This is true, however.  Linux is able to take hold where the cost of the
> > OS is significant.  For most big corporations, the cost of the OS is
> > small in comparison to labor costs...
> >
> > -Todd
> >
> Question for you Todd: would it be impossible to leverage a client
> monopoly in order to compete with orther server vendors? Because in that
> case, having a monopoly *is* illegal.
> And a minor detail: it is for this exact behaviour by Microsoft that Sun
> filed a complaint with the European Commision. The commissioner for
> Trade, Mr. Mont,i has already explained that the EU investigation into
> MS's business practices is on hold pending the result in the US, because
> that is the deal they made with the DOJ.
> So just hope MS will win in the US, I as a European know that the courts
> and governments down here are not slaves to the almighty buck and I think
> that MS is in for yet more legal troubles in the future. They are not off
> the hook yet, not even if court overturns Judge Jackson's ruling.

It's the only reason M$ is appealing.

It keeps them in legal no-man's land for longer....instead of going
straight to hell...which is where they KNOW they are headed.

> HTH
>
> Mart
>
> --
> Write in C, write in C,
> Write in C, yeah, write in C.
> Only wimps use BASIC, Write in C.
> http://www.orca.bc.ca/spamalbum/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A mentality problem of linux programmer.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:47:16 -0000

"JLI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When someone complained in this group that something is too
>difficult to do in Unix, the answer is mostly like "you are too dump",
>or "this guy is paid by Microsoft".

No, the answer is usually "Here's how you do it....", which is usually
met by either willful ignorance or stubborn, irrational refusal.

>We have just finished a commercial product (a C/C++ SDK) and the
>setup procedure went through quite smoothly. The only thing we don't
>like is that you have to set two or three environment variables
>manually after the setup procedure.  So we asked our unix programmer
>whether we can set the environment variables automatically during the
>setup procedure. The answer we got is "if someone doesn't know how
>to set an environment variable on unix, he should not program on
                                                       #######
>unix, do they?".

There's a big difference between Too Hard For Joe Sixpack and Too
Hard For Programmers.  Any half-competent Unix programmer can use
"foo=bar; export foo" (Bourne shell) or "setenv foo=bar" (C shell).
It's one of the first things you learn.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: New virus attacks Linux and MS OS
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:47:49 -0400

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis quoth:
>
> > Yeah, late 1990's, and MafiaSoft was still having trouble
> > implementing 1960's ideas.
>
> I'm still LMAO at the *NEW* MICROS~1 idea of using regEx's in a
> scripting language.  The introduced this *NEW* idea into their suite
> of products in 1998.  Maybe someday this forward thinking company
> will develop a suite of web-based client server tools that uses
> *gasp* server side checking of forms just in case an end user decides
> to turn off javascript.

You'll have to wait until 2010 for this 1970's technology.

> --
>
> Salvador Peralta                   -o)
> Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       _\_v
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:50:21 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> <snype>
>
> I am in New Zealand, and I have never had any problems reaching those
> sites.  Malaysia has a very flaky Internet backbone, however, very soon,

Wouldn't have anything to do with that war, would it?

> you will find the quality will improve with a new fibre optic back bone
> that is currently being laid.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operater from Hell)
>
> If you donot like it go [#rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something cool in gcc
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:52:43 -0000

"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ome.com...
>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:27:18 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

>> > 1 #include <unistd.h>
>> > 2 #include <string.h>
>> > 3 #include <stdio.h>
>> > 4 void function(char *str1, char *str2)
>> > 5 {
>> > 6         int cb = strlen(str1)+strlen(str2)+1;
>> > 7         char str[cb];
>> > 8         strcpy(str,str1);
>> > 9         strcat(str,str2);
>> >10         printf("%s\n", str);
>> >11 }

[snip]

>> > 1 #include <unistd.h>
>> > 2 #include <string.h>
>> > 3 #include <stdio.h>
>
>Not a one of those is a standard C++ header, and only two of them are
>standard C headers.  (Before someone goes weenie about "My compiler supports
>those!" the standard headers are <cstring> (for C-style strings; use
><string> for C++-style strings) and <cstdio> - the unistd.h thing is totally
>non-standard.)

On top of that, unistd.h isn't even necessary for the given code.
It only uses strlen, strcpy, and strcat (from string.h) and printf
(from stdio.h).

A style complaint I have is that the parameters str1 and str2 could
be declared const, but aren't.  This is a PITA to those of us who
use const to indicate that a pointer parameter is input only.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:53:04 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> silverback wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:51:34 -0400, Rob Robertson
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > ><snip>

> > > Poor Glen doesn't know whether he's a Fascist (e.g., the state take-over
> >
> > too bad fraud I'm neither I'm a liberal.
> >
> > >of the California electricity industry) or a Communist (everything else)!
> > >But, that's the problem with labels; a Bloody Collectivist like Glen will
> > >twist and contort himself a million different ways in order to disguise
> > >the liberty-destroying nature of his politics.
> >
> > allowing corporations to price gouge consumers has nothing to do with
> > being a collectivist fraud.

Correct.
For example, Sliverdick is a collectivist fraud, and he argues AGAINST
corporate gouging.

On the other hand, he doesn't explain how putting all the businesses
under the control of untrustworthy politicians (who have the power to
get opponents ARRESTED) is supposed to help the little guy...

We've already seen what this does to the school system...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: More Mafia$oft incompetance on display..
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:58:17 -0400

MjM wrote:

> tony roth wrote:
> >
> > hate to be a killjoy but another one bites the dust!
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/migration/hotmail/default.asp
>
> So Hotmail finally runs (totally?) on Windows products.

Nope...only home page and the graphical front-end.

Whoop......de.......fucking......doooooooo.

> Microsoft took the damn thing over in 1997!  It took them FOUR years, 2
> Operating Systems and God knows how many supporting apps to convert it!

And after 3 attempts, all they've managed to convert is the home page.

Pathetic, isn't it.

> And why did they convert it?  Because it was running poorly?  They
> BOUGHT something that didn't work for shit and needed FOUR YEARS of
> investment to set straight?  Ooh, sound business decision there.
>
> No, they bought it because they thought they could run it on MS products
> and point to it as an example of a successful Unix-Windows migration.
>
> And finally, after FOUR YEARS, they can.

If you call replacing the home-page serve a "migration"

> They're expounding this *success* on a webpage.  Gee, if a company wants
> to take FOUR years and TWO OSs to migrate your enterprise, perhaps you
> should be looking at another solution.
>
> Hell, and this was done AT COST.  Hotmail didn't say to Microsoft,
> "Please come and get rid of all these ugly BSD boxes, please, please,
> please!"
>
> This has been a hot-button Microsoft Project for FOUR FUCKING YEARS.  MS
> managers have been biting their fingernails down to bleeding stumps
> waiting for the day when they could finally announce this MASSIVE
> TRIUMPH.  Give me a fucking break.  If Hotmail were a 'real' business
> and this was an actual real-world migration with Microsoft as the
> vendor, Hotmail'd be so far out of business, they'd be filing their
> Chapter 13s from Pluto.
>
> Beat me, whip me, make me buy a Microsoft product.

I just wanted to see all that again...

> MjM

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hmm getting tired of this!
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:59:15 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > SuSE Makes money
>
> They had to lay off some workers in the USA though.

3%  Big deal.

> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1