From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So, here's something to chew on...
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 03:11:23 -0500

<snip>

> If you actually need help with a W2k problem you might try
> alt.os.windows2000. Of course, if all you are saying is "I know how to do
> something in *nix, I don't know how to do it in W2k, therefore W2k sucks",
> guess you came to the right place.
>
> jbarntt

> Better translation:
> AK likes *nix OSen, dislikes MS OSen, therefore (erroneously) concludes
> that *nix OSen are better than MS OSen. Of course the conclusion does
> follow if we redefine 'better' to mean 'what AK likes'.
>
> jbarntt

Actually, they both have their pros and cons, as i use them both (obviously,
since I am on Outlook Express with this posting). I just find it amazing
that for an expensive OS, there is such a lack of complete and total control
given to the user/administrator where on one that most pro-Windows users
feel is "70's based technology" there is a greater sense of control over
more minute aspects of the OS, including the option to disable what you
will, consequences be damned.

I like one for its so-called "multimedia" aspects (right now I am converting
a few CD's to mp3 format) and over all game playability, but would NEVER
trust it in something as simple as word-processing, or IM'ing, or posting to
Livejournal -- at the same time -- regardless of "mission-critical" work or
not. How can it be considered "multitasking" when the very act can often
times cripple the entire system?

Hell, I miss my old Amiga. :>

Frustration between both OS's keeps me looking at other ways to accomplish
said tasks. I like Windows for its overall useability for someone not used
to a CLI, but abhor its so-called "rock solid stability." Especially when it
simply cannot compare to the stability and control that a free OS gives
anyone willing to tackle it on its own terms -- a formidable learning
curve -- to someone trying to wean himself from the GUI.

Day by day, I trust myself with UNIX more and more, and day by day I grow
less and less dependant on Microsoft in that growing trust. I am pretty
proud of the level I have reached in that regard, considering I have had no
real "mentoring" in UNIX, no CompSci background, hardly the patience to deal
with "multivariate calculus" and would rather write poetry in my spare time
than hash out scripting in bash or Perl. I have a stack of reference books,
and a crap load of time behind me. That's it.

Is posting about that sort of frustration to a Linux/UNIX advocacy group
"trolling" when it was meant to point out one person's belief in the
technical superiority of an OS, especially from someone not so technically
inclined and one trying to learn better, in order to one day run FAT free?

I believe both systems have their merits, and for some, particularly for
Microsoft's attempt, it just does not live up to the hype surrounding it,
when you compare it to the sense of stability and control you are given with
an OS that is considered rooted (pun intended) in "passe" technology. To buy
into that marketted notion is completely beyond me, at this point, and
looking at things from a UNIX perspective, I cannot grasp how so many people
can be fooled by one company that is 75% hype, and maybe 20% delivery with
5% credibility -- at best.

It truly MUST be cool to be fooled.

Desktop/server "supremacy" debates aside, I'm more than ready and willing to
give Linux and/or FreeBSD my endorsement as a superior product to
Microsoft's offering anyday, feature for feature, but obviously from one not
so technically-inclined -- but does my lack of "technical" expertise in
their operations lend less credibility to that opinion?

FreeBSD and Linux users seem, in general, to be caught up in the whole
"cliquish" mentality that seems to further frustrate users looking go FAT
free. Or the whole "members-only" mentality that seems to crop up whenever
someone's "alternative" suddenly is becoming more and more visible, and
accepted by a greater number of people.

Generally the discussion tone here has been ridiculously amusing, but from
time to time, there is just this incredible sense of pretention that is
incredibly overbearing, from a few (drug innnuendo aside) tragically-named
people.

It's a shame, sometimes, that what is seen by the public as a niche-OS has
people within the community of that very OS who'd prefer to see it remain a
niche-OS, just because they cannot stand to see anyone else interested in an
OS that they feel should remain "theirs".

Still, the overall level of intelligent and spirited debate in this place
beats most pro-Microsoft sites anyday. :>

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:31:43 +0000

>> As an aside, I don't know why NIC card manufacturers haven't put a
>> machanism on the crads to detect an unplugged cable. It shouldn't be
>> too
>
> They do.  It's a little "connectivity" LED.
>
> If it glows, you're hooked up right. If not, then you've got a problem.

That's on the back of my PC in an akward position. I meant a software
query.

Also, they should be able to tell you which end is disconected.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:39:13 +0000

>> > You failed to word it in such a way that completely precludes the
>> > usage of temp files.
>>
>> No I didn't. Read some of my other posts in the thread. This definition
>> of pipes can be shown not to work using temporary files. That
>> completely precludes the use of temporary files.
>
> I'm on your side...I'm just saying that your definition has a hidden
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep, I know that.

> loophole in it.

I disagree. I really think that under my definition, what DOS has isn't
pipes.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:41:18 +0000

> Nothing, except such sharing doesn't make software 'free'.  The problem
> with the GPL isn't the license, but the people who use it and use the
> term 'free' misleadingly in describing it.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

in what way?
-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:50:59 -0500

Joel Barnett wrote:

> Dr. Peanut wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > The problem for Microsoft is that an "old" PC from two years ago
> > running Windows 98 is a very good PC still for a huge segment of their
> > market.
> >
> > When the time comes for them to upgrade that machine you can bet
> > they'll want Windows XP and not Linux.
>
> Why pay for Windows all over again ? Get a new pc w/o OS, install the W98

What part of "You *CANNOT* buy a computer without Mafia$oft shitware" do
you not fucking understand...

> you already own, spend $30 USD on a nice Linux Mandrake OS in a box. Save
> some $$, use Windows for stuff that you can't run on Linux, use Linux for
> everything else.
>

> jbarntt

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:51:37 -0500

Mark Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:11:43 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Richard Heathfield wrote:

> >> You are claiming that Americans have a monopoly on idiocy?
> >
> >False premise.  I was talking about the other half of your
> >erroneous statement.
>
> So you are not American then.

Strike two.

one more, and you're out.

> --
> Mark Gordon
> Dyslexic C Programmer,
> At least the compiler ensures I spell variable names consistently wrong.
> For a faster email response replace spamtrap with mark.gordon

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:52:07 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> No I didn't. Read some of my other posts in the thread. This definition
> >> of pipes can be shown not to work using temporary files. That
> >> completely precludes the use of temporary files.
> >
> > I'm on your side...I'm just saying that your definition has a hidden
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yep, I know that.
>
> > loophole in it.
>
> I disagree. I really think that under my definition, what DOS has isn't
> pipes.

Not to DOS-heads.

> -ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Igor Sobrado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: 2 Mar 2001 09:26:12 GMT

In alt.solaris.x86 Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why not just install StarOffice on the Laptop, and use *it* instead of
> Powerpoint?

Hi, Rich!

I have StarOffice installed on the laptop (in fact, that computer only
has Solaris installed on it because I do not like Windows). I am interested
in checking the compatibility between PowerPoint and StarImpress because
I do not know if it will be possible to use the laptop in the workshop place.
I hope I can use it.

Best regards,
Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado, UK34436 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windoze Domination/Damnation
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:51:51 +0000

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:11:51 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I basically dislike Microsoft, and think their Windows operating
> systems range from shit (Win 98) to passable (Win 2000 on heavy
> hardware).  The following link makes me sad that the idiocy
> continues:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/02/28/010228hnvise.xml?p=br&s=3
>
> Partial quote:
>
> HE DOMINANCE OF Microsoft's Windows operating system, the centerpiece
> of the U.S. Department of Justice's antitrust case against the company, remains
> undisputed, according to research released Wednesday by IDC.
>
> Worldwide shipments of Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation,
> Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows Millennium Edition comprised 92
> percent of all client operating systems shipped last year, up from 89 percent the
> year before, said Al Gillen, research manager at IDC's operating environments
> program.

> End of quote.

This must be worrying for Microsoft because it emphasises their monopoly
position in the market.

All their desperate attempts to allege the threat from Open Source and
thereby influence the verdict of the Court have come to naught.

Peter
--

The past is almost as mysterious as the future.

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:58:38 GMT

[snips]

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Mr Kulkis, on the other hand, is primarily notable for his excessively
> > long sig block.
> >
> > Newbies should take note accordingly.
>
> Can I, or can I not write my own printf() which behaves utterly and
> completely differently than the printf() in the standard library?
>
> a) no
> B) YES.

c) Maybe.

Specifically, you can certainly write one, but there's absolutely no
guarantee how - or even *if* - your program will work (or even compile, or
link) when using it.  Which means that from the persepective of "Let's write
some C code", no, you can't do that, while from the perspective of "The hell
with writing C code, let's see what my compiler and linker can do" you can
write it, and it *may* even work - with *that* compiler and *that* linker.
Any change, such as compiler version, linker version, day of the week,
optimization settings, change in OS, etc, etc, etc, may have entirely
different results.

This is about on a par with "Can I drive my car down Main Street while
wearing a blindfold?"  There may, in fact, be occasions where this even
makes sense, such as if you happen to be a professional show driver and are
currently giving a show, but in the general case, the answer is a firmly
resounding "NO!"

FWIW, I actually *did* use a replacement printf() function in some code I
wrote, way way back.  And yes, it did what I wanted.... on that particular
compiler, configured a *very* particular way.