From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:09:02 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8l8nv2$3pc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What I didn't find anywhere was any mention of "Windows" anywhere near
> >> "99.999". But maybe I missed something? So please point me at the right
> >> stuff!
>
> >Front page:
> >Stratus ftServers: Enhancing Sofware Reliability and Availability for
> >Windows 2000
>
> Yep. Not a single mention of *any* uptime percentages, let alone 99.999%.
>
> Come on, if you don't have anything better than that, simply admit that
> you lied, and that you do not, in fact, have any information about anyone
> selling 99.999% Windows solutions.
>
> Please tell me that isn't the case! Please tell me you have at least one
> URL that actually mentions 99.999% and Windows together, even if it is
> with a worthless "guarantee".
>
> >http://www.stratus.com/whitep/ftserver/
> >Continue there. MS has information about this company too.
>
> Great. Did you *read* that white paper? Did you notice what was missing
> from it?

So, you are calling me a liar eh? And when proven dead wrong you will do
what?

Allow me go go way way past 99.999% - let's go right for 100% - yep, 100%
hardware and software availablity and I'll point you here:

http://www.stratus.com/products/nt/dhbrown.htm#_Toc464017357

where it says:
Stratus positions Melody as the "world's most reliable Windows Servers,"
well suited for lights-out operation with features such as remote power
on/off and remote console. Complementing the Melody hardware, Stratus will
offer the industry's first program guaranteeing zero unplanned downtime, or
100% availability excluding planned downtime. The company's commitment to
zero unplanned downtime is ambitious, considering that it must include
outages related both to hardware and to the Windows 2000 operating system.

Now -  there it is in black and white. 100% availability for both hardware
and the OS. I'll await your apology.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:11:05 -0500

"abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8la9i2$15u3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8l7rmf$2dcj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yes, actually it is possible, though its hairy and you *will* lose
quite
> >> alot of functionality.
> >>

> > Ahhh, here is your chance to prove you are not a completely computer
> > illiterate sketch board for dart players:
> >
> > How, exactly, do you bring up NT in purely text mode?
> >

> *sigh*....
>
> Dresden, you are an idiot.  If you would like to know all about how to
pull
> off such a thing, take a look at the source (Alright, I realize what im
asking
> here, just ask someone who knows what theyre doing to look at it for you
and
> explain it using very small words) for one of the many explorer
replacements
> that works under NT4.0 and check out the really neat registry editing they
> pull off.  Its possible to do this kind of thing and NOT replace
explorer---
> Ive seen it done first hand.  It was an interesting demonstration by an
> engineer I knew about a year ago.  The machine came up and then
immediately
> dropped its console---but could be telnetted into and configured
appropriately.

> Needless to say, every last thing that depended on explorer.exe to
function
> was absolutely useless.

ahhh so you are completely unable to prove this claim. You have failed
completely to prove that you know anything whatsoever about what you claim.
Did you lie or were you lying?

You are lying - you cannot do what you claim and you know it. Explorer
replacements? hahahaahahahahahahahah - what a complete fucking moron. The
GUI is already up and running before your explorer replacement has it's
chance to pretend it's "not-explorer".

abracadabra - you've been repeatedly exposed as nothing but a pain - go away
troll child.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:12:02 -0500

> Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Actually, when I was one of those mere 20 people doing the O/S and
> > > application support for ALL of GM, I can tell you that it wasn't
> > > anywhere close to stressful.
> > >
> > > Boring is more like it.
> > >

> > So, Aaron, you claim that GM has(had) a grand total of 20 people doing
the
> > "O/S and application support for ALL of GM"?
>
> That is the size of the entire UNIX Break/Fix team for all of GM,
> supporint ALL flavors of Unix and ALL Unix apps.

are you prepared to say that at this moment in time there are <=20 people in
ALL of General Motors handling support for ALL flavors of Unix and ALL unix
apps?

Care to put some money on this?

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Failure of the USS Yorktown
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:16:03 -0500

"KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Ct1e5.124187$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:B31e5.3256$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Adam:
> >
> > I wonder - has ANY naval ship EVER had ANY malfuction of a computer
system
> > that was running an OS other than Windows that caused it to have an
> > equivelent type of failure (not necessarily "lost control of it's
> propulsion
> > system" but equal in criticality).
> >
> > Considering the US and Soviet militaries rely far more on the Unix
> operating
> > system than any other OS - does anyone suggest that Unix has NEVER EVER
> > failed not a single time to crash and take the system down around it?
>
> Until this thread, I never thought the military used conventional PCs,
> especially at sea. I wonder, with nuclear powered ships, how the effect of
> radiation would have on a computer's processor.
>

> > Because this is one incident. True or not. It's one. Just one. Of a
> version
> > of NT that has since been patched and wholesale upgraded. We know the
navy
> > continues to use NT and to date not a single other malfunction has
occured
> > (and been reported as this one has so often been) related to NT or
> Windows.
>
> You know, if we were talking about a web server crashing or an office work
> station crashing, one incident wouldn't matter much. But in this
situation,
> one insident is far too much.
>
> But I would wonder, how often does the military use conventional PCs and,
if
> so, what OSs do they use?
>

> > So, does Unix share this success record? A SINGLE failure *during
testing*

> Dude, all computers crash.

that was the point I was trying to make! I think you missed my sarcasm :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: 23 Jul 2000 01:16:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
>> Ye gods; strings to do endianity flips?  Try this one:
>
>> I'm not sure which one would be faster or is cleaner, but both would
>> beat your string handler.
>
> Ghost and everyone else -  HONESTLY! I wasn't trying to win an award or make
> the singular most efficient function. I looked at it, and hammered out the
> quickest way I could think of.

Then you are a horrible programmer.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 23 Jul 2000 01:19:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Did you lie or were you lying?

You're transferring, dresden.  You are not a programmer, you are not
intelligent, you are utterly worthless in every sense.

Except maybe as a pornographer.

And again, theres nothing wrong with that. :)

> You are lying - you cannot do what you claim and you know it. Explorer
> replacements? hahahaahahahahahahahah - what a complete fucking moron. The
> GUI is already up and running before your explorer replacement has it's
> chance to pretend it's "not-explorer".

There are many, many explorer replacements, and two of them that I can
think of off the top of my head kill explorer entirely and do not allow
it to return.

I'll leave finding them as an assignment to the class.

> abracadabra - you've been repeatedly exposed as nothing but a pain - go away
> troll child.

Tell me about how youre a programmer again?

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dresden's copyrights (Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?)
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:20:11 -0500

jealous?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Jul 2000 20:21:09 -0500

hehehe...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.sad-people.microsoft.lovers,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Linux is blamed for users trolling-wish.
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:19:45 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:28:06 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>

> [snip]
>
> >> You are *not* good for my attitude, Aaron.
> >
> >Can I interest you in a sniper-grade AR-15....accurate to 1,000 yards...
>
> Ye gods.  As if the anti-choicers weren't bad enough
> in talk.abortion... :-)
>
> Letting Billy boy rot in a jail cell is one thing, but shooting
> him's probably over the line.
>
> Of course, we could lock him in a white-walled room with a
> table and a computer with "BOB" running on it, and he
> can't .... exit .... it!

That would by cruel and unusual punishment.

My AR-15 punishment is more humane.

> Fiendish torture!!!
>
> MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
>
> [snip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- who, me manic?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS advert says Win98 13 times less reliable than W2k
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:26:28 -0700

[snips]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> ...except the gap between DOS and Linux, even at the strictly
> command prompt level, is far greater than the gap between
> Linux and Windows.
>
> Unix, even without X is a full, REAL OS with device drivers,
> plug&play, network services, printing services, automation
> services, multiple end user iterfaces, multiple abstract
> programmers interfaces and the capability to run a wide array
> of mission critical business applications.

"REAL OS"?  Interesting term.  Let's see:

Does DOS offer memory, file, disk and other services which allow
applications to perform typical storage and related tasks?  Yes.  Ooh, looks
like a real OS to me.  No, it's not a multi-user or even multitasking OS,
but then it wasn't intended to be.  Apparently "real OS" means "whatever I
use".  A bit self-serving, no?

> >It's a bizarre and silly argument - no matter which way it's sliced.
>
> No it isn't. You can pick and choose what you prefer to keep
> with Unix.

I prefer to keep a version that runs on my 8086 with < 1Mb RAM.  Remember,
we were discussing machine costs, and noting that DOS can run on that
machine... but Linux, apparently, can't.  You haven't answered that point,
have you?  No, you dodged it.  I understand why, of course; if you actually
dealt with it, you'd have to accept that in fact, Linux sucks compared to
DOS - because of the original argument - or that the argument itself is
bogus, and therefore using it to prefer Linux over Windows is equally bogus.

> It is an abstract ala carte kind of system. It is
> not under the thumb of a single vendor who's primary objective
> is market dominance rather than technical excellence.

So?

I mean that seriously.  So?  As a user, I don't really give a hot goddamn
who owns it, builds it, sells it, maintains it... as long as it does what I
need and I can get support and updates for it.  Can I with Windows?  Yes.
Can I with Linux?  Yes.  Voila; it's instantly irrelevant.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's new ".NET"
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:28:21 -0700

[snips]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> the worst type of monopoly this country has ever seen? Innovation my

> >> Uhm, what does Microsoft has to do with BIOS/IRQ architecture?
> >
> >Simple logic: "It's bad, therefore it must be Microsoft's fault -
> >regardless of who actually did it."
>
> No, they were a dominant force on the platform in question
> for the last 20 years...

Excuse?  MS didn't design the PC architecture, last I checked.  If you're
going to spew nonsense, at least make it semi-informed nonsense.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:27:57 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> : "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>
> : > Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : >
> : > : Drestin Black wrote:
> : >
> : > : >
> : > : > why is it that VB being windows specific is a problem?
> : > : >
> : > : > how many people write applications with portability as their first concern?
> : >
> : > : Any decent programmer.   You never know when a program may have to be moved to
> : > : another platform.
> : >
> : > Traditionally, most UNIX programmers do take up a project with
> : > portability/POSIX compliance in mind.  But most Windows programmers
> : > do not concern themselves with anything outside of Win32, because
> : > in  most cases, they do not need to.
> :                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> : You misspelled:
>
> : "because in most cases, they are unaware of other platforms, let alone
> : the concept of porting."
>
> Making sweeping generalizations is not usually a very accurate
> way to portray a group.  I think it depends upon the person.

Wrong.
Sweeping generalizations are QUITE useful portraying groups.

what you should say is

Sweeping generalizations are sometime not an accurate way to
portray certain EXCEPTIONAL individuals in a group.

If I say that
Adults are tall, and
children are short

would you deny the validity of the statements, even though there
are exceptions to both rules?

> Some people that I know who tend to prefer Win32 programming also know a
  ^^^^

"Some" is not "all."
In fact "Some" is less than "most"

> great deal (read: they've forgotten more than I'll ever know) about POSIX
> compliant coding.  And then I know some people who have found themselves
> in the programming circle, by mere circumstance (ie: political science
> majors who ended up coding in Visual C++ because it looked interesting to
> them).  Often, yes, those people tend to be rather "in the dark" about
> other platforms, but by no means would I imply that they're intellectually
> inferior, based on that premise.  As I said, it depends upon the person.
>
> With that said, yes, there are a lot of idiots out there.  Some of them
                                                             ^^^^

you misspelled "most"

> use Windows.  Some of them use UNIX environments.  And idiot is an idiot,
> no matter what platform they are using.

True.  And the idiots tend to gravitate to Windows.

> At my University (when me and my bretheren came in on covered wagons
> (okay, I'm only 29, but in the realm of electronics, anything that is 29
> years old is an antique)), programmers learned not only Windows
> programming (at that time, Windows v3.1 was the standard, and Win32 was
> far off on the horizon), but there was a huge amount of requirements for
> learning POSIX-compliant coding as well.

Which is why your mind is befuddled and satisfied with the
standard-issue mediocrity issuing forth from Redmond.

> I had some courses which gave me programming experience on platforms such
> as on SunOS, Xenix, Windows v3.1, and even DOS (ick!), and I wasn't even a
> Computer Science major (although, I might as well had been :-).
>
> Perhaps things are different in academentia these days.  But with freely
> available OSen such as FreeBSD, and Linux, it's very doubtful.  In fact,
> I'd venture to guess that UNIX environments have a much greater prescence
> in academia these days, thanks to OpenSource/GNU/FSF projects.

Most Academic Unix installations run a LOT of GNU software.
Most notably, the compilers.

In fact, when I was in college, and for some years after, BSD
was *THE* Academic platform.

FreeBSD is merely a clean-room implementation of Bill Joy BSD,
so that the AT&T code could be removed.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mrs Drestin Black
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:29:08 -0400

abraxas wrote:

> Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:18:27 +0000, Jacques Guy wrote:
> >  >Copied and pasted from Mr Drestin Black's  URL:
> >  >
> >  >http://drestinb.ic.net/private.htm
> >  >
> >  >Not bad-looking at all, Osin, and... dressed in black!
> >  >
> >  >I am  a bit disappointed by that particular URL, though.
> >  >Although it was produced with  Microsoft Frontpage 4.0,
> >  >it lacks Dresden's dreaded profession of faith:
> >  >
> >  ><!-- Linux SUX -->
> >  >
> >  >which you can see at
> >  >
> >  >http://drestinb.ic.net/hideout.htm
> >  >

> > There must be some mistake:  according to www.netcraft.com,
> > drestib.ic.net is running Apache on FreeBSD.
>
> All of this came up a few months ago actually, check dejanews.
>
> And yes, much to dresden's shagrin, his porn site is running on
> freebsd.
>
> Dresden is a pornographer.  Theres nothing wrong with that.
>
> But he certianly is not a programmer of any sort, and very probably
> not even an 'IT' professional.
>
> HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAa
>
> Sorry, I typed 'IT' again.

Oh, NO!  He said it!

> -----yttrx

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some Windows weirdnesses...
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:32:28 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >> Except that in my case, that is *exactly* what I did. Well, I used
> >> "cp" rather than "tar" (and kicked myself after a while ;-), but except
> >> from that...
>
> >cp is the WRONG way to go.
>
> It is indeed, but not for the reason you mention.
>
> >If a file has large expanses of ZEROS, when it's originally made, any
> >block that is ZEROES ONLY is referred to by a null-pointer in the
> >block references, and thus, don't take up any space on disk.
>
> More specifically, any block that was *skipped* (or rather, seek()ed) over.
> Have a look:
>
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test1 bs=1024k count=2 seek=10
>    2+0 records in
>    2+0 records out
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ du test1
>    2048    test1
>
> The zeroes that were actually written by dd *do* occupy space.

...those are the indirect blocks and double-indirect blocks...
all filled with null pointers.

> >cp isn't smart enough to do fseek() when encountering zeros, so it will
> >almost always produce a copy that takes up more disk space than the
> >original, if that original is an executable, or less-than-full database.
>
> This, obviously, was under linux, and thus using GNU cp. Following on from
> the above:
>
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ cp test1 test2
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ du test2
>    0       test2

COOL :-)

> >tar handles this correctly.
>
> Not by default:
>
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ tar cspf test1.tar test1
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ rm test1
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ tar xspf test1.tar
>    [bmeyer@wombat tmp]$ du test1
>    12288        test1
>
> You have to give the "-S" or "--sparse" flag.
>
> The real reason "cp -av" wasn't such a hot idea is that I had a good reason
> to convert the thing to reiserfs --- it is my newsspool, and as I tend not
> to expire news, some of the directories have extremely many small files in
> them. Ext2fs doesn't handle that very well (its directory searches are
> linear searches), and reiserfs promised (and delivered) much better
> performance.
> But of course the directory I copied *to* and (after mkreiserfs) back
> *from* was on an ext2 filesystem, and the copy of course had just as many
> files in those directories, so that both times I burned many CPU
> cycles in directory searches that using tar would have avoided.
>
> Bernie
> --
> This is the Fourth?
> Thomas Jefferson
> US President 1801-09
> Last words, on 4 July 1826

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.