From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:35:14 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8l8l8t$3j9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> 0x78563412 -

> is
> zero
> > >
> > > Yes, you are right. That was a mistake and easily fixed.
> >
> > i.e. he admits he didn't test his work.
>
> I did test my work, I just didn't test this particular condition during the
> few minutes it took to code this out on the fly.
>
> The original code was WRONG too - in case you missed that too.
>
> Also, let's see YOU write a BASIC function that performs endianflip on any
> sized number.... hmmmm? You claim to be a programmer, this should be simple,
> especially in BASIC which you seem to think is for the brain dead. So show
> us you are not brain dead and lets see your version of this function? Please
> try not to copy from the web search you are doing now...

Hmmmmm, haven't written anything in BASIC since 1984,
but I'll give it a try:

The following code should run on ANY dialect of BASIC
Append appropriate subroutine/function header lines as needed
for modern implementations of BASIC.

Rem I - input number
Rem F - endian-flipped number
Rem S - Size of word, in bytes
Rem assumption: bitwise operators like "AND" and bit-shifts
        are unavailable
Rem  Storage protocol value 0x12345678
Rem             Little Endian           Big Endian
Rem             Example (Vax, Motorola 68x00)   Example: IBM mainframes
Rem Location
REm M                   1                               8
Rem M+1                 2                               7
Rem M+2                 3                               6
Rem M+3                 4                               5
Rem M+4                 5                               4
Rem M+5                 6                               3
Rem M+6                 7                               2
Rem M+7                 8                               1

int I
int F
int S
int N

F=0

for N = 1 to S)                 ; Rem Process 1 byte at a time
  F = (F*256) + (I MODULO 256)  ; Rem Get low-order 8 bits
  I = I / 256                   ; Rem right shift 8
next N

return

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:36:40 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >    [...]
> > >You can't even be bothered to test a simple 10-line program, and
> > >yet, you expect us to believe your other exhortations?
> > >
> > >Come now, we're not nearly as stupid as you, punk.
> >
> > Well, that's true, but he was providing a quick-and-dirty example of a
> > concept, and his code illustrated the solution.  He might be stupid (and
> > I'm anxious to learn more either way), but he is merely a "punk", at
> > best, for not actually testing the scratch-code he was using for a
> > simple example.  I'd like to hear a more telling argument confronting
> > his other exhortations, if you've got one.
>
> Here is one for you - sometimes code has errors in it and sometimes you
> don't find it the very first time you test it. And sometimes when the code
> is DEFINATELY not critical and simply a quick off the cuff piece of fluff
> you don't do detailed testing. And how can I be expected to produce a
> correct working version of code when the code I was trying to emulate itself
> was wrong and flawed?

Excuses, excuses.

I implemented the algorith CORRECTLY in 5 lines.

> At least I'm a programmer - not a programmer wannabe pain in the butt

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:43:36 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:30:10 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> >Because it's a violation of MY First Amendment rights.
>
> How so ?

Campaigning depends upon communications....ie. advertising, etc.
I have a right to assist any candidate I choose to buy as much
advertisements and other publicity and communications has he/she
sees fit.

Any restriction on that right moves the balance of power into the
hands of newspaper editors.

> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:44:27 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2000 16:40:19 -0500, Drestin Black wrote:
>
> >> You need endian operations when (a) you write code that's portable across
> >> hardware architectures which means that (b) networking code tends to
> >> require endian operations. You should get out more.
> >
> >Donovan - shame on you.
> >
> >I write for the Windows OS - I have no need to be concerned with Endian
> >operations.
>
> Is the alpha big endian ? I take it you only write for *Wintel*, not
> Windows.
>
> BTW, if you want to connect to a big-endian server, then you should
> care about endian-ness, even if you know your client is little endian.

Drestin has never stepped outside of Microsoft's little-endian
reservation.

> Cheers,
> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tinman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451751
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:53:03 -0400

In article <Od5f5.3880$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Here's today's Tinman digest:
>
> 1> Not at all.
>
> Then what did your "of course" mean, Tinman?
>
> 1> On the contrary, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?
>
> 1> Don't you know, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?
>
> 1> Don't you know, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

The turntable, Davie, hit the turntable!

> 1> Of course, oh might turntable.
>
> That's not even grammatical.

Correct, it should have been:
Of course, oh mighty turntable.

> 1> I learned from the master.
>
> Who might that be, Tinman?

You, oh great turntable.

> 1> Indeed. And your mispelling's getting worse.
>
> What alleged misspelling, Tinman?  (Rather ironic, coming from
> someone who misspelled "misspelling".)

Not at all--unlike you, I learn from my mistakes. ('

> 1> "term" is a what, not a who, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

If not you, why do you respond? ("

> 1> That which is self-evident provides it own evidence.
>
> You're presupposing that it is self-evident, Tinman.

No, I'm noting that it is self-evident.

> 1> Mine, of course.
>
> Corrupted by your miscomprehension.

Prove it, if you can, Davie-boy.

> 1> Hit the turntable, Davie,
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

A turntable is a what, not a who, Davie me boy.

> 1> you're stuck again.
>
> How ironic.

No, it's only sad that you keep getting stuck.

> 1> Don't you know?
>
> Why do you think I asked, Tinman?

I have no idea, why did you ask?

> 1> A search engine is a what, not a who, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

Who is what, Daviekins?

> 1> Illogical, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

You are illogical.

> 1> Don't you know?
>
> Why do you think I asked, Tinman?

I have no idea why you do the voodoo that you do so well.

> 1> Who is who, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

No, who is who.

> 1> On the contrary.
>
> Typical pontification.

Illogical

> 1> Asking what, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

What, not who, Davie.

> 1> Don't you know, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

Where?

> 1> Incorrect.
>
> Even more pontification.

On the contrary.

> 1> You, obviously,
>
> Incorrect, Tinman.

On the contrary.

> 1> else you would not respond.
>
> Illogical, given that I can recognize my own writing, Tinman.

Illogical, you are not responding to your writing.

> 1> The turntable, Davie,
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

The turntable is a what, Davie me boy.

> 1> keep hitting it.
>
> You're erroneously presupposing that there is a turntable for me
> to hit, Tinman.

On the contrary, you prove the existence of same.

> 1> A turntable is a what, not a who, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

A turntable is a what, not a who, Davie.

> 1> Reading comprehension problems, Davie?
>
> Who is that, Tinman?
>
> 1> If I knew, I wouldn't ask.
>
> Non sequitur.  I'm asking, not you.

Asking whom?

> 1> See above.
>
> Above is non sequitur, Tinman.

On the contrary.

> 1> Illogical.
>
> Even more pontification.

Nope.

> 1> Knowledge of logic, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

Logic is not a who, Davie.

> 1> Of course, Davie,
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

Who is who, Davie?

> 1> I'm tholenating,
>
> That's undefined, Tinman.

On the contrary, tholenating is quite well defined.

> 1> circular reasoning is required.
>
> Illogical.

Indeed, but true nonetheless.

> 1> It is ironic that you're stuck, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

If not you, why did you respond to it, my widdle Davie-bumpkins?

> 1> For the last time in this post, a turntable is a what, not a who, Davie.
>
> Who is that, Tinman?

You just don't understand whos and whats. Typical.

> 2> Of course, it's a superset of tholen emulation.
>
> Incorrect, Tinman.

On the contrary.

--
______
tinman

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:51:27 -0400

Spud wrote:

> And apparently has nothing to do with applications associating
> anything with anything.  Right.
>
> > So you're essentially right that Linux *could* be
> > susceptible to VB-like viruses - it's just that
> > hardly anybody ever enables that capability.
>
> Right... and OE _could_ be susceptible to such viruses as well... *if*
> the user decides "Hey, what's this?  A totally unknown file which
> might do anything; let's run it."  In short, the existence of the
> association - regardless of who manages it - is irrelevant.

But many attachments are just data files, such as jpegs, Word
docs, mp3's and so on. It appears that users did not understand
that Visual Basic scripts are not just data, but programs.

> > > What would YOU associate them with, then?  Perl?  Patently absurd.
> > > Associations exist for a reason.  Unsafe computing practices don't
> > > change that.
> >
> > Again, since you're setting what are effectively
> > associations (actually MIME types) in the browser
> > or mail client, there's no harm in setting
> > something like a .pl file to "unknown" or
> > "text/plain".
>
> No harm, but no utility, either.  When I fire up a VBS or perl script,
> I expect it to run and do something; that's why it's a script, not a
> document.

If I were to do this using a GUI as opposed to using a command
line, I would have one set of associations for kfm, and another
for Netscape. As I would do "external" browsing with Netscape,
its associations would be weaker, ie not execute scripts. Kfm,
as the "internal" browser, would get executable associations.

Also, Linux, along with W2K/NT, allow the use of "dummy"
accounts, so that only the dummy account gets wiped out.

> >You just can't run it from the
> > browser or mail agent and potentially infect
> > your system.
>
> No, but you can't handily run it from _anything_ at that point... so
> why have VBS (or Perl, or...) installed at all?

This might be less of problem in Linux than in Windows,
as one would use multiple browsers.

> > You have to save it, set the
> > execute bit (and have permissions to do
> > that) and then explicitly execute before
> > you can infect your system.
>
> Just as with OE, you have to explicitly say "Open attachment" in order
> to do anything risky with it; they don't magically fire on their own.

But many users did not realize that opening such attachments
would execute the attachment, as opposed to executing some
known program on a data file.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: No wonder Hackers love Linux
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:45:44 -0400

Steve wrote:

> Just installed Mandrake 7.1 with medium security
> setting and install option of everything.
>
> Port 21 ftp WIDE OPEN.
>
> Port 23 telnet WIDE OPEN
>
> Port 110 pop3 WIDE OPEN
>
> Port 113 ident Wide open....
>
> Not to mention all of the other security holes due
> to inetd running every service known to mankind.
>
> Windows 98 se with ICS installed closes all of
> those ports and several are in stealth mode.
>
> No wonder the script kiddies seems to love
> Linsux.....

That is NOT a problem with linux, as you CLEARLY indicate below.
It is a problem with the default setting chosen by Mandrake.

> Typical newbie will install it with defaults and
> be hacked within a couple of hours.
>
> BTW SuSE 6.4, Install Everything did somewhat
> better in that only ports 80 and 113 were open.
>
> I only checked via www.grc.com which does not
> check all ports.
>
> God only knows what else is wide open.....
>
> Steven

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:59:02 -0400

Spud wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Nope. You are neglecting one difference. Netscape does not
> > associate Perl scripts with the Perl interpreter (nor any other
> > scripts with their interpreters), so clicking on a Perl script in
> > Netscape will not execute it.
>
> Last I checked, _applications_ don't manage associations.  What OS are
> _you_ using?  Not Linux - where the usual case is for the association
> to be embedded in the script itself, nor Windows, where the
> associations are done at the OS level.  BeOS, perhaps?

In Netscape: Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Applications,
ie what does Netscape do if you click a file? Note that Netscape
does not associate shell scripts with an interpreter.

> > The problem was the association of Visual Basic scripts with
> > the Visual Basic interpreter (or are they just executed?).
>
> What would YOU associate them with, then?  Perl?  Patently absurd.
> Associations exist for a reason.  Unsafe computing practices don't
> change that.

Sorry, I was being Linuxcentric. In Linux one would use a
command line or have Netscape and kfm with different
associations. Are there two (or more) such browsers
with which one could do this in Windows?

> > >  Or will
> > > you finally clue in to reality - that the viruses do not represent
> > > failure in either Windows or OE, but in the unsafe use of the
> tools?
> >
> > Why were Visual Basic scripts not associated with a text editor?
>
> Because that would be a *stupid* way to do things.

Annoying, yes, but less annoying than wiping out your data.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Paul Bary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some Miserable weekend with Windows :(
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:52:24 -0700

Steve...You think it's bad now...trust me, it has come a long
way in the last year or so in so far a useability...go back more
than 2 years and it was really ugly.

I enjoy using Linux and have fussed with it on and off for several
years. I do find the blind spot that many advocates have about
useablity to be if anything, amusing. The Windows world, for all
its blemishes is still in a much more advanced state. This being said,
I'm sure I'll fail the "true believer" test, be branded a "troll", and
be told "well Linux isn't for everyone". Hang around here awhile and
you'll soon learn the chorus'.

Paul

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:04:56 -0400

Arthur Frain wrote:

> So you're essentially right that Linux *could* be
> susceptible to VB-like viruses - it's just that
> hardly anybody ever enables that capability. If you
> don't set it up explicitly, there is no mechanism for
> passing the #! line to the shell or OS that I know
> of, unless you explicitly execute a saved file that
> has the execute bit set. OTOH, Linux users should
> be aware that Postscript files (which are scripts)
> can be as dangerous (in theory) as VB files under
> the right circumstances. IIRC Dan Bernstein's home
> page has a discussion of some other potential mail
> security holes as well (sorry, don't have a URL
> handy - he wrote qmail).

But Postscripts files are also listed as Unknown: Prompt
User in Netscape.

Colin Day