From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:04:19 GMT

Mike wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:zBhS6.43823$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Mike wrote:
>>
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:mTZR6.38033$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Microsoft?

> that's
>> > funds
> available
>> > way
> public
> license

>> > I'm kind of confused here, but clearly not as much as you. Rational
> people
>> > can draw a distinction between purchasing a product and funding
> research.
>> > On the other hand, this is cola...
>> >
>> > I think Ballmer has a point. It seems evident to me that if government
>> > funds are used to support software research, the results of that
> research
>> > should be, in most cases, public domain. Ballmer's contention is that
> the
>> > GNU license restricts the use of software, so GNU software isn't really
>> > public domain.
>>
>> I think Ballmer has a point too - tax money paying for software
> development
>> should result in taxpayers having some rights to that code.   The whole
>> point of my post was that it's ironic for an MS man to say this,
>> since the govt. sends MS money for software all the time, and the public
> and
>> other companies get nothing, which is what Ballmer decries.
>>
>> Read my post again; I didn't even mention the GPL.    I think there's
>> a fine argument to be had about whether taxpayer funded software should
>> be
>> GPL or more bsd-like.  But that wasn't the point of my post.  So instead
> of
>> trying to change the subject, explain to us all how Microsoft's stance is
>> consistent with Ballmer's words.
>
> Like I said: you're confused. I underestimated how much.
>
> You're arguing that purchasing a product entitles you to much more than
> just the ownership of the product. You seem to think that if I sell a
> product to the government, and use some of the profits to support my R&D,
> then you as a third party are entitled to anything proprietary in my
> product. You may find an audience in cola, but it's not a position that's
> going to win you many supporters in the mainstream.
>
> You may not have mentioned GPL, but GPL was the target of Ballmer's
> comments.

And what was *not* the target of Ballmer's comments was (surprise!) MS
software, whose license is worse than the GPL, LGPL, BSD, or about anything
else you can imagine.

>> > So, the question is, why shouldn't government funded software
> development
>> > be public domain?
>> >

>> How much has the US paid for MS office?  How public domain is it?
>
> How much have they paid for Chevy Cavaliers? Or PCs? Or any number of
> proprietary products? There is a very fundamental difference between
> funding research and purchasing products.
>
> -- Mike --

Sure there's a fundamental difference - unlike goods, research can be
freely shared once developed.  So which more closely resembles software?
Companies try very hard to preserve the 'goods' analogy, but it's getting
harder and harder.  That's exactly what scares people like Ballmer so
much... free software dispels the illusion, and people realize how much of
the commercial software experience is superficial - the shrinkwrap and
colorful box, the CD, and the high price.

So the government should raid Microsoft and publicise their source code,
since tax dollars helped fund its development?  No.  But the government
should stop its foolish practice of paying over and over for the same
information, millions of times.  Take the huge pile of money currently
headed for Redmond and use some of it to pay a contractor to do whatever
work is necessary to adapt and improve some open source office suite for
government use.  All to 'stick it to Microsoft?'  No.  So taxpayers can pay
a lot less, a lot less often, and get a lot more in return.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:05:20 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> Rotten168 wrote:
> >
> > drsquare wrote:

> > > Why should X change just because a few people seem to find it too
> > > difficult to press the left and right buttons at the same time?

> > > What, you're saying normal users shouldn't be given the option of a
> > > stable operating system?
> >
> > Well... no I'm not saying that, but Windows is easier on the eyes, it's
> > more user-friendly (whatever that means nowadays), it's got a faster
> > redraw rate than Linux. It's easier to do do "stuff" with. The tradeoff
> > is that it locks up every few uses or so.
> >
> > I'm not saying Linux is a bad OS, it's just not a good desktop OS,
> > delivering more power (and, yes, stability) than the average user needs
> > and sacrificing speed, ease of use, and aesthetics.
>
> I couldn't call Win9.x series a good desktop.  You should see the kick
> and scuff marks on the side of my wifes' computer!  Starts a print
> process and halfway thru it locks up the whole system.  Call that a good
> O/S??

Again... if you said the same thing about Linux, the people in here
would blame it on poor administration. How sure are you that it's
Windows 98' fault, because my experiences with Linux & printing are
worse than what my experiences were with Windows. I once tried to print
the man pages for tin, I didn't realize that they were like 50 pages
long! I cancelled the job using the lp kill command (I forget what it's
called exactly), but the printer continued printing after I rebooted.

So I've had a different experience under Linux printing.
--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:12:02 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:42:35 -0600, Robert Morelli
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <9f9aqn$ecc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
>> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Ada is not an acronym, it's a name.
>> > What does Pascal stand for? I thought it was named for it's
>> > developer.
>> Pascal is the name of a 17th century mathematician and philosopher.
> PASCAL isn't the name of the language though.  That is "Pascal:, and it
> is not an acronym.  It is named after the mathematician.
>> As for ADA,  it's from Ada Lovelace,  who programmed Babbage's
>> mechanical computers.  On the other hand,  what about
> Again, the name of the language is Ada, not ADA, and it is not an
> acronym.  It is named after Babbage's programmer friend.  I agree with
> your point, but these are bad examples.

Is XP really an acronym?

>> BASIC is of course
> Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code <g>.

Some acronym's have been altered by revisionists.  For instance,  BNF
was originally Backus Normal Form.  Only after it was in use did Knuth
suggest that it change to Backus-Naur Form,  to honor the contribution
of Naur.

Similarly,  in the original BASIC acronym,  S stood for Sissy.  When you
think about it for a moment,  you realize,  how could it be otherwise?
It was changed to Symbolic during the political correctness craze of the
1980's.

The second revision came in the early 1990's.  At the influential ICA
Theory of Languages Conference in 1989,  the question was posed,  "What
programming language would provide the most inappropriate foundation
for software development in the 1990's."  There was a panel discussion,
and a lot of ideas where tossed around,  but the consensus settled on BASIC.
In the next couple of years,  Microsoft began standardizing on Visual
Basic.  At the Theory of Languages '92,  the "Beginner's All-purpose"
in BASIC was changed to "Bill's Anacronistic" by resolution ICA-1143-92.

------------------------------

From: The Queen of Cans and Jars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:09:32 -0700

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2001 22:59:12 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > again - who cares? The idea is if you are using TS then you are on a
> > Windows machine, you are not on a hetrogenoous netork.

Geez, what a silly comment Jan.  You mean that anytime anyone is on a
Windows box, they are automatically on a homogenous Windows-only
network?  Are you sure?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: 03 Jun 2001 05:13:08 GMT

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:05:20 GMT, Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Again... if you said the same thing about Linux, the people in here
> would blame it on poor administration. How sure are you that it's
> Windows 98' fault, because my experiences with Linux & printing are
> worse than what my experiences were with Windows. I once tried to print
> the man pages for tin, I didn't realize that they were like 50 pages
> long! I cancelled the job using the lp kill command (I forget what it's
> called exactly)

Lpc, but i had to look it up via 'apropos lp' as I have a GUI for all that.

>, but the printer continued printing after I rebooted.

Perhaps the printer buffer had lots of the print file in it ?

You should have canceled the print job, (a simple task) then reset the printer
to clear the buffer ?

> So I've had a different experience under Linux printing.

No offence, but it just sounds like inexperience ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 3 Jun 2001 05:15:07 GMT

Terry Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:46:30 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9fc3gu$keo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>> "The Newsreader FORTE AGENT has a "killfile" capability.
>>> You can actually select *to read* the writing of
>>> certain authors, and automatically screen out the rest.
>>> Also, you may read all but certain writers."
>>
>> Now *that* is a useful capability.
>> It would certainly refuce STN ratio around here.
>>

> It would, however most Windows advocates use Free Agent,
> which lacks this capability.

> Agent is not free.

Peruse the headers of the dipshit in question, they are indeed
using Agent.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:26:06 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Zsolt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen some rather good, although 'unofficial' explanations about the
> XP abbreviation in Windows XP. Let's try to collect them in this thread.
> Anybody, who has other good idead, please post them here!
> To kick-off the collection, some idea's I've seen so far on this
> newsgroup:  eXPerimental
> eXtra Problems included
> eXtremely Pathetic

By the way,  this seems an appropriate place to clear up a common
misunderstanding.  Some people think MS is an acronym for
MicroSoft.  Not so.  It's an abbreviation for "A Mess."  Thus,
"MS Windows" properly reads "A Mess Windows."

As for where MicroSoft comes from,  I heard it explained on Weekend
Update:  "Bill and Melinda Gates' wedding night could be summarized
with two words:  micro soft."

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:30:42 +0800

"Philip Neves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:OYcS6.16594$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Don't get me wrong. I love linux don't want to  use anything else.
However,
> at least with windows I can get my Epson Stylus Color 777 printer to work.
> Even with window 95. With linux on the otherhand I have to resort to using
> samba to network to another machine with windows on it to get the printer
> to work. And lets not get into print daemons oh god I wish I had a Mac!

This is what I mean when I say W2k is far easier to configure and install
than Linux.

It sounds like printers are more applications dependent under Linux than
under W2k.

Anyway, I simply *plug in* my printer, and w2k recognizes, installs, and
configures the printer automatically.  I'm simply ready to print from *any*
application.

Linux isn't there in this area, but it needs to get there in order for any
consumer to take it seriously.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: Larry Elmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:33:52 GMT

Ben Franchuk wrote:

> Larry Elmore wrote:
> > If you want a custom car, you go to a custom car dealer. If you want a
> > mass market car, but _without_ a transmission because you want to
> > install your own special one, do you honestly expect to be able to go to
> > a mass market auto dealer and pay _less_ for that car? _If_ there was a
> > sufficiently large market for cars without certain major systems,
> > certainly the manufacturers and dealers would offer some that way.
> > Obviously, there simply isn't enough demand for computers without OS's.
> You mean other M$ os's.

No, I meant _no_ OS, just like you wrote earlier.

> What would you say instead if the car manufactures all got together
> and said "we will only make Automatic Transmissions". Nobody drives
> standard anymore. For a $500 upgrade we will fix "drive" shifting into
> "park" and add 2 speed reverse.

If nobody drove standard anymore, what difference would it make? As long
as enough people drive standard to make it worth their while, they
_will_ make cars with manual transmissions, though if demands drops off
enough, they will likely cost more than an automatic simply due to
economies of scale.

> Just food for thought.

Good thing I'm already on a diabetic diet. :)

Larry

------------------------------

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.bill-gates,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bill Gates is blamed for economic slowdown
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:34:33 -0400

As far as brain drain goes, that is only partially true since Microsoft
build up Microsoft Research by bringing in top talent from universities
around the world. There was a Washington Post story on this.

On the other hand, no doubt much talent and some of the older employees went
to, or started up, dot-coms.

As far as the rest of it, it's so silly on its face to suggest that
Microsoft advertising brought down the dot-coms.
Ballmer has generally said all the high tech stocks, including Microsoft,
was overpriced.

The silliness of the story is that Microsoft's .NET is based on selling a
development platform for the web.

2 + 2

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning.
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:51:20 +0800

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hi all, here is the url to an eye opening article about
> cracker DOS attacks, how they are orchestrated, and by whom.
>
> An extract:-
> Nothing more than the whim of a 13-year
> old hacker is required to knock any user,
> site, or server right off the Internet.
>
> I believe you will be as fascinated and concerned as I am by
> the findings of my post-attack forensic analysis, and
> the results of my subsequent infiltration into the networks
> and technologies being used by some of the Internet's
> most active hackers.
>
> If the attacking machines had been running Windows
> 2000 or the home-targeted version of Windows XP, as
> they certainly will be next year, we would have been
> utterly defenseless and simply forced off the Internet.
> This is what anyone on the Internet can soon expect.
>
> http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

I read this article.  DoS attacks are always going to happen, and it doesn't
matter what type of OS or hardware you are running... as long as you are
hooked up to the Internet, well, you are vunerable.

W2k and XP have the fully UNIX compliant socket specifications that NT and
before didn't have.

Are you know going to claim that "OH NO - MS HAS FOLLOWED UNIX STANDARDS"
and *complain* about it ?

Please.

W2k has been out for more than a *year* know... So what?  DoS attacks can
originate from any UNIX machine (with spoofed IPs) and with w2k as well.

If it was such a big deal, it would have already been happening... and even
so, are we to keep MS 'sockets' proprietary or non-UNIX compliant?

I think not.  Linux/UNIX advocates have always wanted MS to follow *UNIX*
standards.

Well, now you have 100% compliance with UNIX.

Don't complain - you asked for it.

-Todd

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:53:31 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> >
> > Rotten168 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : drsquare wrote:
> > : >
> > : > On Thu, 31 May 2001 10:31:46 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > : >  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> > : >
> > : > >> Did the geniuses who wrote X consider Trackballs of varying designs when
> > : > >> they chose the 'middle button' cut & paste?? Probably not, because it's
> > : > >> very unwieldy for me and my Logitech trackball.
> > : >
> > : > >Did the geniuses who made your track ball build it with X in mind??
> > : > >
> > : > >Bearing in mind X was there first, the trackball makers seem to be at
> > : > >fault.
> > : >
> > : > Never mind that you can press the left and right buttons at the same
> > : > tiem for the same effect...
> >
> > : No... that's what's unwieldy about it, pressing both the left and right
> > : buttons is too annoying to be used in a practical sense.
> >
> > Get a mac, there's only one button as mac users believe that more than one
> > mouse button is too annoying to be used in a practical sense.
> >
> > I like three button mouse just fine, but hey, what do I know.  How many
> > buttons did the first mouse have?  I think at least 3.
> >
> > And why should poor design of a trackball be the cause of linux falling
> > off desktop.  Linux users generally buy hardware that they know is good
> > b/c instead of falling for ad hype, they actually know how to get more
> > reliable info about their hardware.
> >
> > Just another case of how windows dumbs down the users so badly that they
> > can't think for themselves.
> >
> > Fred
>
> The best case for the one-button mouse I've found to date is that it
> reduces the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome... which my wife got from
> using MS mouse.  Try this little experiment... flex your index finger
> hard and fell the inner pressures on your hand by griping your wrist
> with the other hand.  Now just move all four fingers in a primate like
> mode and feel the difference.  I think we will be moving over to the Mac
> only because of this.

Alternatively, you can just retrain yourself to slightly flex all
of your fingers, but CLICK only one button.

I never thought of the aspect of mouse use which you just mentioned,
and it took me about 5 seconds to figure out how to make the motion
which I just mentioned.

Part of it, I think, is the way some people hold the mouse.

If you hold the mouse with your fingers all flat against the
top surface of the mouse, yes, the effect you mention is quite
strong.  Conversely, if you curl your fingers, so that the rise
up ABOVE the surface of the mouse, and only your fingertips
touch, then you will notice that the problem is GREATLY reduced.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows XP Gets Fingered
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:54:15 -0400

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >> The red star-shaped Mozilla logo is nearly identical to what used to be
> >> painted on former Soviet warplanes.
>
> So?  A red star is a fairly generic symbol.  Read into it what you wish, until
> you start taking away everyone's Playskool Shape'n'Sort because it has a red
> plastic star that you insert in a slot to make Big Bird pop out.
>
> I happen to like the looks of the imagery associated with the Mozilla project.
> It is possible to like the art style even if you don't care for its original
> implication.

There IS no implication.

Hope that helps.

> --
> Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
> Colony name not needed in address.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:56:13 +0800

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:36:51 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:43:57 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >>The de-facto Photoshop alternative for Linux would be GIMP.  Most
> >>distros seem to come with it.
> >
> > But it's nowhere near as good as PSP
>
> The Gimp is also nowhere near as expensive as PSP, in fact
> its free.

For people actually *doing* graphics work, this is entirely irrelevant.  If
Gimp can't do something, it can't do something.

PSP (Paint Shop Pro) only costs 100 bucks... and is almost as fully
functional as Photoshop.

MS Paint is free too...

-Todd