From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some Windows weirdnesses...
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:49:23 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Tim Palmer wrote:

>ScanDisk,

> >> And why does'nt this derectary appere in the Desktop?
> >
> >Oh god! Hehe, you have got to be kidding!
> >
> >Getting to used to hand holding Timmy?
> >
> >Since it is file-system specific, lost+found is on each "partition", or
> >each filesystem seperately.  That way you will know exactly what
> >"partition" the files in lost+found came from and you won't be forced to
> >try to figure it out yourself.
>
> I thogt that UNIX hid the partitians from you and made it look like one fialsystum.
>
> >lost+found is not the recycle bin Timmy.  lost+found is a much better
> >way of dealing with "lost" files
>
> Windo's Recycal BIn does it the rite way. lost+found is a rediculus idea.

Wrong.
lost+found is for files detected during a filesystem consistency check.

What does LoseDOS do when it's filesystem checker finds a file?

oh yeah. it renames it 00007._DD and drops it in the top level
directory.

REALLLLLLLLLLLLL freaking helpful, and nowhere close to the "recycle
bin"

> >compared to the Windows scandisk method
> >of just creating a million files in the root directory.  How many people
> >have seen the root directory of a Windows machine with a huge number of
> >files from scandisk checks?
> >
> >--
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Star Office to be open sourced
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:51:42 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:34:03 GMT, Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 27 Jul 2000, Jay Maynard wrote:
>
>> I've never understood the disdain some folks have for package management.
>> What's wrong with letting the computer do things the computer's good at,
>> like record-keeping?
>
>Lack of real-world, enterprise class, computing experiance would be by bet.

        ...either that or they have seen machines fail at simple things
        and come to the conclusion that they cannot be trusted for more
        complex things.

        Personally, I'd rather package managers be moot and applications
        be capable of being treated as a single atomic entity capable of
        being more or less completely non-dependent on system files.

[deletia]

--
        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Yeah! Bring down da' man!
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:54:08 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:32:01 GMT, Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
>
>> > I know about classics such as Emacs, but what others can you think
>> > of? (This is not meant to contest, just looking for personal
>> > enlightenment. Oh, and that Window Manager sucks, too.)
>>
>>      Lex is also a good example.
>
> Was Lex copied by someone else the same way Microsoft copied ideas
> from their competitors?

        If you want to be really pedantic, I suppose you could
        accuse the author of 'stealing' from Turing or Chomsky...

>>      It's not at all apparent that you are paying any attention
>>      to the periphery.
>
> Why did you say that?

        You didnt' catch the mispelling for one.

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:55:26 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Personally, I'd rather package managers be moot and applications
> be capable of being treated as a single atomic entity capable of
> being more or less completely non-dependent on system files.

..which means shared libraries cease to exist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Gnome or KDE
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:56:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Pig> wrote:
>Hi All:
>
>I am a newbie of Linux and using the SUSE linux 6.3.
>I've tried different GUIs.
>I think the Gnome and KDE are the best.
>So, which one is better? Pls. suggest.

You might as well ask: "Islam or Judaism"?

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my Flame Bunker (pat. pending).

<Any reason you don't want to try them both?>
--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:59:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>       Unix has a long history of allowing the end user to replace
>       any and all subcomponent of the user interface. This includes
>       the bits that might be 'too derivative' or 'too derivative'
>       of the 'wrong interface'.

 Does this mean I could, for example, replace the mouse-driven user
 interface of GIMP with a command line UI? (I could use that, because
 sometimes the pictures I want to make don't require freehand input,
 and I'd rather enter the coordinates of primitive shapes through the
 keyboard.)

 Would that also mean that I can change the UI at more than the
 superficial level imposed by a widget set or window manager?

 I know that if I change the widget set, a program will still have the
 same user interface, but the shapes on the screen will look
 different. A badly designed dialog box that uses too many levels of
 nested tabs will still have too many levels of nested tabs regardless
 of the toolkit or window manager I use. (Psst! Find my name here:
 http://www.iarchitect.com/tabs.htm ;-)

 Apple's QuickTime has a particuarly stupid UI. It features a "draw"
 of thumbnails for favorite movies, but it doesn't bother to label
 those thumbnails and the whole "drawer" metaphor is dumb. Are you
 saying that if this was implemented on Unix, I'd have the power to
 either make it label the thumbnails or change the "drawer" to a list
 box or menu?

 In fact, how many of the problems catalogued at the User Interface
 Hall of Shame could be fixed by the /users/ if the programs were
 written for Unix?

 http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: "1$Worth" <"1$Worth"@costreduction.plseremove.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Why is "ease of use" a dirty concept?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:57:53 +0100

Mikey wrote:

> Thus Sprake "1$Worth":
>
> > "Ease of use" means that Linux can be accessible to people whom
> > otherwise would be locked into closed source for-profits-only solutions.
> > It also means that the MARKET will take Linux as seriously as it does
> > with a Microsoft or an Apple. It means that even more device makers will
> > positively want their hardware to work to its fully optimised potential
> > under Linux.
>
> You could be talking about "Like Windows" in some cases.  That's because
> people are have used windows for years and that's all they know and
> they're not real keen on change.  OTOH, I set up a small network for a
> "Mom & Pop" local business.  The server is Debian, gateway is FreeBSD,
> *and* the clients are Caldera with StarOffice.  These people had minimal
> computer experience and it took a bit of instruction but they caught on
> and are very happy with their sophisticated & in-expensive network.
>
> My theory behind this is that they never had computers there before, so
> there were no predefined ideas of how to operate a computer.  Or, they
> didn't have to un-learn the Windows concept of computer operation.[1]
>
> [1] I'm not against Windows.  Use whatever operating system you want.
> --
> Since-beer-leekz,

Thanks for your comments.
This is a great case in point! Linux provides the simplicity for the
"mom & pop" local business. This shows just how well Linux has
progressed that you can use Linux in this way.

But what happens why they want to buy a scanner, a new modem or a USB
video unit? They will probably ask you of course, but what about people
who don't have advice on hand?

Without "the market" behind you as we know it is difficult to keep up
with all the exotic hardware coming into the market, also some
manufacturers seem not even to want drivers written for them for free
and withhold product information. Unfortunately these backwards thinking
companies only look at popularity and hard demand.

Then the installation of hardware follows wildly different paths.

There are many people that will be happy to let you set things up and
not worry about adding hardware or software without asking you, but I
suspect that there are many more people who would be willing to try.
That's why I think that ease of use is a real and important issue.

I agree that much of the fuss of "ease of use" may be more to do with
what people have been habituated to rather than an objective reason. But
I would put it to you that subjective reasoning ships boxes.

p.s. There is of course no pre-defined requirement that Linux should
even be "popular", but it seems such a unique opportunity to make the
world that little bit better. This does require some hard thinking as to
what path is best trodden. I sure don't want another version of windows,
just something that "normal" people can use, not just us geeks ever
quick to fire up vi for that quick tweak, or to debate long and hard as
to the "best" shell (naturally bash of course).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:45:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  the same programs. But the programs are a different story.
>
>  Gnumeric is a clone of Excel.
>
>  It goes on and on. I haven't seen any true originality or creativity
>  expressd on the Linux platform /anywhere/.
>
>  It's as if Free Software was good for only one thing: Copying the
>  Proprietary.

Embrace and Extend

The classic weapon of proprietary software can be used by free software too.
Too often free software rushes off and implements a single good idea, and
disregards any of the accumulated wisdom from existing software.  The result
is a toy.  Potentially an interesting toy, but not a project that will ever
suplant existing production systems.

The gnumeric <-> MS excel relationship is an excellent example.  I've used
spreadsheets for a long time and used them as display engines for large
projects.  The interfaces to all of them, especially MS excel are ... I'll be
delicate .. suboptimal.  There are huge numbers of limitations and problems
that I would love to see fixed.  To that end I've tried every free/open
spread sheet I could get my hands on.  Some were more successful than others.
 Several had interesting new concepts.  None were usable as replacements for
excel or applix.  Gnumeric was the first free spreadsheet to attempt to
provide the critical subset of MS excel's features.  It reads AND writes MS
excel and Applix spreadsheet formats.  Is it the most 'innovative' (god I
hate that word), not yet.  However, it does provide an open platform which
can be used to fix the glaring problems in proprietary spreadsheets, and
eventually to break new ground.

People like you complain that free software copies proprietary programs.
Others complain that every free program is different and requires users to
learn an entirely new interface.

Gnumeric is attempting to walk the middle ground.
As close to MS Excel as possible,  but NO closer.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:00:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

>       Again, your point is moot and based on the dellusion that
>       originality is a common thing when infact nearly everything
>       is quite derivative. Even the apparently original is usually
>       highly derivative and the creators of it will be quite upfront
>       about their 'borrowing'. (Jobs, Plant)

 Okay. So where are some examples of real originality expressed on the
 Linux platform? Those ideas had to come from /somewhere/.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:01:48 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:55:26 +0100, Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Personally, I'd rather package managers be moot and applications
>> be capable of being treated as a single atomic entity capable of
>> being more or less completely non-dependent on system files.
>>
>..which means shared libraries cease to exist.

        Not necessarily.

        Space versus complexity is a tradeoff that might make sense.

From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:02:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> >>    It's not at all apparent that you are paying any attention
> >>    to the periphery.
> >
> > Why did you say that?
>
>       You didnt' catch the mispelling for one.

 Okay, I now know how to spell periphery. Was that all you were
 refering to?

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:03:46 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:59:43 GMT, Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
>
>>      Unix has a long history of allowing the end user to replace
>>      any and all subcomponent of the user interface. This includes
>>      the bits that might be 'too derivative' or 'too derivative'
>>      of the 'wrong interface'.
>
> Does this mean I could, for example, replace the mouse-driven user
> interface of GIMP with a command line UI? (I could use that, because

        ...now that you mention it: yes.

        Do you even look into this stuff in the most cursory manner
        possible before spouting off about it?

[deletia]

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:04:23 -0400

"Josiah Fizer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> JS/PL wrote:
>
> > "Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8loo9h$30l5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Windows.

> > distributed
> > >
> > > Everyone who bought Win95 as it was distributed originally
> > > without IE and paid extra for the separate Plus pack containig
> > > IE knows this is a lie.
> >
> > Why would you buy the Plus Pack? Just type in the fricking MS or
Netscape
> > url and download either browser, or press one of the millions of idiotic
> > buttons that were (for some reason) at the bottom of every single Web
Page
> > of that era.
>
> You see, the first version of Windows 95 didn't have a web browser. So you
> couldn't "press one of the millions of idiotic buttons" as you had no way
> get to the web page

Yes you did, when you signed up for internet access the browser of your
choice was mailed to your house. If you by chance didn't get a choice from
your ISP, then within 5 minutes of logging on, you could be downloading your
choice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:08:11 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:45:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  the same programs. But the programs are a different story.
>>
>>  Gnumeric is a clone of Excel.
>>
>>  It goes on and on. I haven't seen any true originality or creativity
>>  expressd on the Linux platform /anywhere/.
>>
>>  It's as if Free Software was good for only one thing: Copying the
>>  Proprietary.
>
>Embrace and Extend
[deletia]
>excel and Applix spreadsheet formats.  Is it the most 'innovative' (god I
>hate that word), not yet.  However, it does provide an open platform which
>can be used to fix the glaring problems in proprietary spreadsheets, and
>eventually to break new ground.

        Once the core functional components are completed, those that
        want to actually get off their toukas and 'innvoate the UI'
        are free to do so. HELL, they could offer suggestions NOW,
        if they have any.

>People like you complain that free software copies proprietary programs.
>Others complain that every free program is different and requires users to
>learn an entirely new interface.

        Too true.

[deletia]

        If it's not 'foo' is too unlike the 'One True Interface',
        it's 'foo' is too much like the 'One True Interface'.