From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:25:17 -0600

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:63Pf6.560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Thanks but no thanks...Windows 2000 Professional is the end of the
line
> > for
> > > me. Whistler is totally unnecessary and .NET will NEVER pollute one of
my
> > > machines. It's about as transparent a money vacuum as DIVX was. We
will
> > > neither utilize it nor develop for it - period. It is something to be
> > > viewed with disdain, not anticipation. Only the severely short-sighted
> > > would actually welcome such a system.
> >
> > Spoken just like someone without a clue about what .NET is.
> >
> > (HINT:  The subscription based services are only a tiny part of it, and
> > something that very few .NET programs will take advantage of.  If this
is
> > the only argument you can come up with, you're going to be quite
surprised).

> OK, Erik The-laughably-named...why don't you tell us *precisely* what
> .NET is.....

That topic could fill volumes.  Essentially, it's a set of services backed
by a run-time compiled intermediate language similar to SmallTalk (not the
syntax, but the way it works).  Those services include a GUI framework
(WinForms), Web services (ASP.NET), etc...

Note that there is a difference between "software as a service" and
"software as a subscription based service".

Here's a FAQ for you to read
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/faq111700
.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:21:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Nigel wrote:
>>
>> > People are interested in Linux...
>>
>> Yes - even Microsoft are using it to run their DNS servers because their
>> own OS is not up to the task.

>> > ...but because of lack of ease of use are put off by Linux.
>> >

>> Or more likely because windows was pre-installed they think there are no
>> alternatives available - and because their only experience of computers
>> regularly crashes they think all computers are like this so why change.
>>

>> > Windows costs money. Now in Whistler they're talking about a product
>> > activation code.
>> >

>> This will kill MS for sure - many companies only use MS products because
>> they know they can get away with illegally installing the same product on
>> multiple machines as well as their home machine. How long will they
>> continue to recommend their companies buy MS software when they find out
>> they will have to spend many $$$ to take any work home to finish but under
>> linux they can legally use the same software at home and work for free.
>
>Absolutely.
>
>That was how M$ originally proliferated into the home market.
>Linux is going to pull the rug out from under M$ by the same means.
>
>HEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

As in everything in business, the cheaper will survive.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:27:43 -0600

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Well, since C# and the CLR are now ECMA standards, this is a possibilty.
> >The real benefit of .NET will be the Java-like cross platform capability
> >(think CE, 32 bit windows, 64 bit windows, MacOS X all from the same EXE,
> >each optimized for their own platforms by the .NET runtime compiler
(which
> >is much more like SmallTalk than Java))
>
> The CLR is ***NOT*** now, nor is it proposed to be an ECMA standard.

Sorry, technically it's the CLI that's the standard, but the CLR is just an
implementation of the CLI.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:31:22 -0600

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> YEAH!  Everything that bad old SUN company promised to do but
> never came thru on.

Yes, such as submitting Java to ISO, and then ECMA for standardization.

> Perhaps the $20 million Microsoft just agree'd to pay them for
> *STEALING JAVA* in the first place might have had something
> to do with that.

You haven't a clue.  The $20 million was to buy out their existing contract
with Sun.  Sure, they won the battle, but they lost the war.  Microsoft
can't use the Java compatible logo, but Java doesn't mean anything anymore.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:25:30 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :>
> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> :> : news:95fl3c$dju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Dan Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> :> : Could you please take this conversation private or at least to
> :> :> : a more appropriate newsgroup.  While I believe God advocates Linux
> :> :> : (Bill Gates being the antiChrist)
> :> : comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
> :> :> : are not appropriate forums for this discussion.
> :> :>
> :> :> When insults are made in public, the responses must be equally public.
> :>
> :> : Must the responses be made ad nauseum, though?
> :>
> :> : This sort of debate has been going on for as long as humanity and it sure
> :> : as hell isn't going to be solved in COLA...We can't even agree on something
> :> : so simple as a distro around here!
> :>
> :> This is not an argument over whether or not atheists are correct.
> :> It is an argument over who the label "atheist" applies to.  Aaron
> :> is picking a definition that atheists themselves don't agree with,
> :> and then using that definition to make claims about what atheists
> :> believe.  That's a classic strawman fallacy.
>
> : If you were born of Korean parents in Korea, calling yourself
> : Mexican doesn't change the facts....no matter how much you
> : disagree with the definitions of "Mexican" and "Korean"
>
> True.  That has no bearing here, where you are using incorrect
> definitions (hint, no other dictionary agrees with Websters
> on this).  Regardless of the definition being used, to apply
> a belief to a group of people who don't hold it is a strawman.

If you believe in the existance of god(s), then you area theist.
If you believe in the non-existance of god(s), then you are an atheist.
If you have no belief either way, you are an agnostic.

I'm not proscribing your belief, I'm merely telling you what it's name is.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:25:40 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :>
> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> :> : news:95fl3c$dju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Dan Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> :> : Could you please take this conversation private or at least to
> :> :> : a more appropriate newsgroup.  While I believe God advocates Linux
> :> :> : (Bill Gates being the antiChrist)
> :> : comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
> :> :> : are not appropriate forums for this discussion.
> :> :>
> :> :> When insults are made in public, the responses must be equally public.
> :>
> :> : Must the responses be made ad nauseum, though?
> :>
> :> : This sort of debate has been going on for as long as humanity and it sure
> :> : as hell isn't going to be solved in COLA...We can't even agree on something
> :> : so simple as a distro around here!
> :>
> :> This is not an argument over whether or not atheists are correct.
> :> It is an argument over who the label "atheist" applies to.  Aaron
> :> is picking a definition that atheists themselves don't agree with,
> :> and then using that definition to make claims about what atheists
> :> believe.  That's a classic strawman fallacy.
>
> : If you were born of Korean parents in Korea, calling yourself
> : Mexican doesn't change the facts....no matter how much you
> : disagree with the definitions of "Mexican" and "Korean"
>
> True.  That has no bearing here, where you are using incorrect
> definitions (hint, no other dictionary agrees with Websters
> on this).  Regardless of the definition being used, to apply
> a belief to a group of people who don't hold it is a strawman.

If you believe in the existance of god(s), then you area theist.
If you believe in the non-existance of god(s), then you are an atheist.
If you have no belief either way, you are an agnostic.

I'm not proscribing your belief, I'm merely telling you what it's name is.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:40:11 GMT

> [...]
>> real world.  But I did want to say I agree with you more than
>> I do the actions of the real market.  It's desktop value
>> is grossly underrated by the populous.
>>
>> >So: in spite of the chicken-and-egg situation, Linux is developing
>> >into a very good alternative for business use.  Microsoft clearly see
>> >Linux as a very serious threat; if Linux really was as bad as you make
>> >out, and Linux is its own worst publicity, why is MS investing so much
>> >FUD into it?
>> >

>> Well, the Wintrolls cruising around here just keep posting and
>> posting their idiotic nonsense and Linux just keeps growing
>> and growing and expanding it's market.
>>
>> There is absolutely *nothing* said on COLA which would change
>> that.  GNU/LINUX with GPL licensing is a powerhouse with a
>> workforce of 250,000 developers!  If you think of 250,000
>> people on a single project, and it's growing at 1/3 increase
>> per year, it's quickly becomming the worlds largest human
>> effort.  It's one of the few sucessful global efforts mankind
>> has ever achieved.
>>
>> >Nothing you can say will alter the fact that Linux does indeed meet
>> >the needs of many users (though not a majority, at present).
>> >Meanwhile, if you want a games console or a glorified typewriter,
>> >stick with Windows 9x.
>> >

>> Here's where we break company.  Linux *DOES* meet the need of the
>> masses today.  It's the masses who have to come around to this.
>>
>> The masses are very slow in adopting a product, but when that
>> product reaches a certain point it develops a landslide of
>> interest from the consumer base.  Linux is comming up
>> on that point now.  I haven't seen so many shops converting
>> to Linux since I started using this OS 6-7 years ago.
>>
>> There are people talking about Linux in every bookstore,
>> every dp gathering, every sig meeting....
>>
>> It's influence is everywhere.
>>
>> Microsoft has hired an active group of FUDSTERS to hover
>> around the Linux section at all COMP USA's now in their
>> attempt to *INFORM* people about the poor characteristics
>> and even *danger* of using Linux.
>>
>> I listened to one of their speeches for 15 minutes as this
>> 45 year old woman told me why it would be wrong to get
>> involved with this os and the dangers in doing so.
>>
>> I informed her that I'd been using it for 6 years now
>> and everything you've just told me was wrong.
>>
>> Then I told her about the horrors of being woken up at
>> 3-4 am by dp personnel in a van to collect me to take
>> me back to the datacenter every time one of our NT
>> machines went down.
>>
>> I told her if I had it my way, every box of Windows would
>> be marked with a warning label, "NOT READY FOR BUSINESS USE
>> YET - USE IN A BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT CAN CAUSE LOSS OF SLEEP
>> AND SEVERE HEADACHES".
>
>I hope you said this loud enough for people to hear you.
>
>By the way, did you ask her, "How much is Microsoft paying you
>to stand around in this store and lie all day? "???

She took the box of Suse which I was reading after asking
for it and put it in her shopping basket by her sweater some
35 feet away.

I told her if your going to nit-pick Linux you might at least
try it once as you've already admitted you've never used it.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:29:00 -0500

gswork wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The point is...C provides programming structures (such as break)
> > to handle nearly every contingency, such that the appearance of
> > goto should be a VERY rare occurance.
> >
> > The only conclusion that can be drawn is that a LOT of MS kernal
> > code is written by recent BASIC-programming high-school graduates
> > who were given a crash-course in C.
>
> windows:
> goto windows
>
> Anyway.  I take it that this old MS DOS code

Nope...modern Windows code.

>                                                is not something we'd find
> snippets of anywhere on a website (I guess they'd get sued).

not unless you want to get slapped around for an NDA disclosure.

> Shame really.   If people could see it then the technical arguments
> against MS could be backed up more.

> > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > > -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
> >
> > --