  Re: Linux is shit ("Edward Rosten")

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:09:19 -0700

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:37 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:31:12 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
>>>install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
>>>same thing happen on windows?
>>
>>So your saying that on Linux the docs just magically appear? or does
>>someone have to write them? Why wouldn't MS have to write docs for a
>>new shell? Are you saying that all the curent docs that explain how to
>>use the WinNT/DOS/Win9x shell wouldn't have to be updated?
>
>What the hell are you talking about? We're not talking about a "new"
>shell. He mentioned above things like ksh, csh, etc, no-one's on about
>MS writing "new" shells.

You misunderstand. Are you saying that all the curent MS docs that
describe how to do things from the windows command line wouldn't need
to be re-written for a news shell (new to the basic windows
distrabution, ie TCSH etc)?

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:09:53 -0700

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:39 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:32:18 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>To find out things about things?
>>
>>admin@Trillian ~> man things
>>No manual entry for things.
>>
>>Seems to not work.
>
>You must not have things installed then.

I cant find a things.pkg for Soalris 8, and I'm too lazy to recompile
it. I'll just have to get by using stuff.

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:11:23 -0700

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:44 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:38:02 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
>>> install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
>>> same thing happen on windows?
>>
>>But someone *still* has to write this documentation, you know.
>>And you need to *support* them.
>
>As far as I'm aware, documentation for said shells has already been
>written.

But the syntax for these other shells is diferent then the curent
Windows shell. If someone calls tech support and is told to type

D:
cd fubar
copy widget.exe c:\fubar\widget.exe

and the user is using TCSH, it wont work.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:15:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ray Fischer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 May 2001 22:30:16 GMT
<9duuvt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Robert W Lawrence  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>And where is your evidence that people have no choice over their homosexual
>>behavior?
>
>Yeah!  You could choose to be interested in men so it's obvious that
>homosexuals could choose to be interested in women.
>
>Right?

One could mimic such behavior to avoid detection; such has been done
in the past, as I understand it -- even to the point of a
loveless, or at least sexless, marriage.

This no more makes the homosexual a het, anymore than a woolen overcoat
makes a wolf a sheep.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- "But Henry!  What will the neighbors think?"
                       -- Warner brothers unnamed (?) "mother bear"

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:10:39 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:35:37 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I don't see how you're supposed to search for something like what you
> >> typed. I doubt typing "i[intArray]" into google would yield too many
> >> results.
> >

> >No, but reading ANSI C, or K&R C, or searching about how C handling []
will
> >give you the answer.
>
> That would take weeks.

No, it wouldn't.
And if it would takes weeks, all the better, you now know *much* more, and
wouldn't take so long to solve the *next* excersize.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:13:06 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:36:00 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Run menu, CLI? I thought we were talking about how to do it on a GUI?
> >
> >Yes? And your point *is*?
>
> The poster I was replying to was mentioned how they would be done at a
> command line.

You were replying to me.
And yes, you can launch GUI applications fromt he CLI, you can give them
parameters.
You can also do it from the run menu.
The most common case is shortcuts, though.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:15:30 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:38:02 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
> >> install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
> >> same thing happen on windows?
> >
> >But someone *still* has to write this documentation, you know.
> >And you need to *support* them.
>
> As far as I'm aware, documentation for said shells has already been
> written.

Not for Windows.
You'll find that the terminology and the language of Windows' documentation
is different from other OS'.
Folder vs Directory, frex.

And are they up to the standards of Windows documentation?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:29:33 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:01:40 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >drsquare wrote:

> >> Will I? How am I going to find this?
> >

> >US Centers for Disease Control has the epidemiology of Hepatits
> >very well documented.
>
> But we apparently can't trust this government agency to report
> transmission methods of AIDS properly.

And the basis for your claim is.....what, exactly

> Peculiar.
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       38d:03h:06m actually running Linux.
>                     The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:36:14 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> He invariably defends the company, sometimes maintaining implausible
>> positions to do so.
> Largely because of this.  He does appear to have a brain though, which
> is more than you can say for a lot of folks here (on both sides).

People in advocacy groups sometimes mistake mental illness for a
lack of intelligence.  The bizarre behvior of some advocates is very
clearly a result of psychiatric problems.  As for Funkenbusch,  I agree
he is not overtly bizarre.  However,  if he doesn't actually get paid to
post here,  my guess is that the volume of his postings probably
reflects an Obsessive-Compulsive disorder.

On the other hand,  if your saying "He does appears to have a brain" is
some muted way of saying you think he's highly intelligent,  I can't
concur.

>> Does anyone know whether he is actually a professional shill for
>> Microsoft (ala Stephen Barkto)?
> I don't know what he does for a living.  I'm doubtful that there are
> official paid shills in cola, although some of the Winvocates do have
> financial ties to MS in the form of working for Microsoft Partners and
> that type of thing.  Maybe some even work for MS, but I kind of doubt
> that they get paid to post here.

Wasn't "Barkto" posting on something like a newsgroup?  A couple
of years ago,  the man who headed the shill division (whatever they
called it) when Barkto was active gave an interview.  He said he lead
50 people.  I'm sure it's larger than that now.  Considering Linux is
now enemy number 1,  a fair proportion must be doing Linux.  Where
do you think they're posting?

One reason I suspect "Funkenbusch" is that the name sounds a little
contrived in the same way "Barkto" was.  Don't you think "Funkenbusch"
could be a modification of "Fuckin' Bullshit"?  Microsoft humor?

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:45:01 GMT

> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 05 Jun 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 28 May 2001
> >>    [...]
> >Linux
> >>
> >> Sounds more like your problem.  "Linux" is an OS; the only problems it
> >> has are technical glitches or bugs.  As pointed out, the lack of DVD
> >> support is neither.
> >>
> >Linux problem is the 'DVD community' doesn't want open source drivers or
DVD
> >decoding programs,
>
> What makes you say that?

Piracy of films,  if everyone could look at the decoding software.  I don't
remember the name of the DVD ripping program but 'DVD community' is taking
the programmer to court over it.

> >so I would say that a problem with Linux.
>
> Why?  If they don't want DVD, then why would it be a problem that they
> don't want DVD?

If there were open source decoding software,  the pirates would have a field
day,  atleast that what the 'DVD community'  thinks.

> >Closed source
> >program are available on the Mac and Windows.
>
> Uhuh, we knew that, what IS your point?

It called an example....

> >alot
> >drive.
> >>
> >> BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
> >>
> >I guess you never go to Best Buy or any place that sells new computers,
> >since last time I checked most of the computers had a DVD or CDRW or a
combo
> >drive.
>
> Hmmm....  Now it is "a DVD or CDRW".  Hmmmm....

No, it both in alot of cases,  but most computers let you choose either a
DVD, CDRW or both.   I know alot of computer have a DVD and CDRW installed
when you buy them.   Just check out someplace that sells computers,  Max...
I guess Linux users never buy new computers,  they just go dumpster driving.
;)

> >Laugh if you want,  but I would suggest getting you head out of the
> >sand first...
>
> Make shit up based on your naive personal experience if you want to, but
> I would suggest getting your head out of your ass and getting some real
> statistics first, before saying stupid things like "most PCs come with
> DVDs these days."

Just go into Best Buy or someother place that sells computers,  most have
DVDs,  since DVDs are CHEAP,  you can buy a Drive unit alone,  about 50 bux,
16x DVD speed, 40X CDRom,  if I remember correctly.  They about twice the
price of a CDRom today.  The companies are putting them in computers,
today!   I know my friend got a mid range P3 computer,  under a $1000,  it
included a CDRW and DVD drive.

BTW I just got done advising a friend on new computer,  I guess I have
priced computer a Gateway,  Dell,  CDW and a bunch more.   Like I said,
just about all the computers come with a DVD or CDRW,  its up to the
customer.    I don't remember any who just had CDRoms....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:45:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 21 May 2001 23:40:00 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Vallely's Dirt in Boss King's Ditch.." wrote:
>>
>> Aaron's a homophobe,
>            ^^^^^^^^^
>
>You misspelled "person who finds buggery disgusting"

Well, that's a start; "despise the sin but not the sinner" is
a good Christian value -- although I for one have trouble drawing
the boundary line, for we are what we do, although many aspire
to do more.

But how is "buggery" any more or less disgusting than:

- murder?
- drinking a woman's urine or eating her feces?
- typing up a person and beating him or her with a whip?
- highly orgasmic consensual sex which leaves a mess on the bed
  and both participants wishing to take a drink and a shower and
  launder the sheets because they sweated so much?
- bathing in the Ganges, which is full of crap?
- child molestation and abduction?
- eating from a cow whose carcass has been killed, drained, dressed, aged,
  and ground up?
- goose dung?
- deliberatelly spraying or contaminating food or drugs with a
  pathogen (e.g., E. Coli) or chemical poison such as cyanide,
  strychnine, or even peanut oil (for those who are allergic to it,
  that can be deadly)?
- razor blades in apples?
- eating tainted food and throwing up?
- eating too much food and throwing up (anorexia bulimia)?
- living in a rat-infested hovel, some rats infected with fleas,
  some fleas infected with the pathogen responsible for bubonic plague?
- flesh-eating bacteria, Ebola, smallpox?
- blowing up a building, causing the deaths of 168 people, for no good
  reason other than to exact revenge for a botched government action
  2 years ago?
- embracing an enemy soldier, live and ticking grenade in hand? [*]
- taking away a gun owner's legitimate right to own a weapon in order to
  defend his house and family against an overdespotic invader or government?
- taking away a land owner's legitimate right to own property and use
  it as he sees fit, considerations of neighbors such as pollution,
  noise, overbuilding, and such permitting?
- government-mandated taking from the rich and giving to the poor,
  "rich" and "poor" being defined by sightly idiosyncratic government
  procedures?
- dying on the street because of no home, food, and money?
- dying on the street because some bozo plays "shoot the target"?

And, more to the point, which of these allegedly disgusting scourges
should the government or citizenry (ideally, both!) attempt to
spend money, energy, or other resources to eradicate, first?

Please be specific.  (Bear also in mind that government is also a
multilevel entity, from the city level to the county, state, and federal.)

[rest snipped]

[*] I have no idea whether grenades tick as their time-delay fuse
    runs out -- and I certainly can't say I want to find out the hard way.

                    Hi.  I'm a signature virus.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:50:20 GMT

> Said JS \ PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:48:28 -0400;
>    [...]
> >Come on, your talking to a guy that's running Windows 95 and is pissed
> >because it sucks, but he's too broke to run anything else so he's blaming
> >Microsoft. That's Max in a sentence.
>
> That's the anonymous troll "JS \ PL" in a paragraph.  A random insult
> thrown my way to try to make up for all the spankings I've given you.
>
> Guffaw.

Your using Forte Agent 1.8/32.548,  which is ONLY available on Windows
9x/NT.  There is NO Linux version of Forte Agent,  last time I checked,
which was a few weeks ago.   Unless you care to explain it...

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:52:55 +0100

>>The shell picks up on rm, so that instead of calling the rm program, it
>>simply moves the file to the trash directory.
>>
>>Something like
>>
>>function rm()
>>{
>>      mv $* ~/.trash/
>>}
>>
>>would be a very simplistic version in BASH.
>
> What's the more complex version?

Something to deal sensibly with command line options since mv has
different options to rm.

Also, mabey something to keep track of where files came from.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:53:52 GMT

> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 05 Jun 2001
>    [...]
> >Sorry Max,  most new PCs have a DVD drives and/or CDRW.[...]
>
> What percentage are you calling "most", and why do you think you can
> suddenly include CD writers?  You're not trying to pretend you included
> CD writers when you claimed that most new PCs have *DVDs*, are you?

Most company let the comsumer pick which drive they want,  and from my
friends,  most pick BOTH drives, or the DVD since it CHEAPER then the CDRW.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:54:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 22 May 2001 18:39:32 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"David L. Moffitt" wrote:
>>
>> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9eegjt$c6m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > See my other post.  Aaron Kulkis recieved exactly zero commendations
>> > in any branch of the US military.  He is a raging liar.
>>
>> %%%% Serious question: How do you look up someone's commendations?
>
>He didn't.
>
>Otherwise, he would have found a whole slew of them.

I for one don't know if "Aaron R. Kulkis" is your given name,
or if it's something borrowed for the occasion.  Not that
I care all that much, but on Internet, no on has to know
whether one's as handsome as, say, John Wayne, or as
beautiful as Britney Spears.  (No, she can't sing, but
she's cute enough, depending on one's tastes.  Personally,
I prefer 'em a bit older.)  There's even a commercial -- I
believe it's selling a DSL service -- which has a guy and a
gal trying to find each other by buffing their pectoids or
replacing their body, electronically.

Even with "Aaron R. Kulkis", I'd have to do some digging in .mil
stuff -- and I'm not expert at it.  Assuming that .mil websites
publish commendations, which they may not for security reasons
(suppose some nutter decides to play "harass the famous guy?").

[.sigsnip]

                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:57:02 +0100

>> I assumed this happend to you?
> Yep, tho I did use it to print 250 pages a month for 5 years, and made
> about $12500 from it :)

That's quite good going.

>>> Moreover, the mechanical design of the HP500 is *solid*, just look at
>>> the lightweight designs of modern inkjets or lasers!
>>
>> Sadly, old age and a past life of heavy use (free ex company model)
>> have taken its toll and it has a bit of problem picking up paper these
>> days. That said, I  think I can fix the problem.
>
> I wonder if a roller kit is available?

I don't know. I think it's the mechanism to lift bthe paper on t the
rollers at the back that's a little sticky. Some oil might fix it.

> *warning the following contains tales of misery, and may be distressing
> to some viewers*
>
> Unfortunately HP have a policy of not keeping parts after 5 years, and
> this prevents my HP Digital Storage Scope, purchased 7 years ago at a
> cost of $6500 (demo) from being repaired ..... <sob>.

That is pretty poor service. I was also deeply disappointed with the
manual for the 930c. The manual for the 500 was 5x as thick and in 1
language instead of 10, so it had a lot more content. The manual actually
contained the entire definition of PCL4 amongst other things. The new
manual tells you to check if the printer is plugged in. Definitely a big
drop in quality there.

>>> Chorus: Cheap and nasty, cheap and nasty ....
>>
>> Yep, there are some nasty printers out there. The HP930 seem to be OK,
>> though and works well under Linux.
>
> I'm not supprised, as every printer I have tried under Linux, has
> worked.

Oddly enough, same here.

> Just as well I'm not a fish ;-)

Or a square "Dr".