From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:11:30 -0400

"ZnU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I believe Amazon.com was running their site with final release
> > version of Advanced Server a few weeks before the product was
> > available to the general public.
>
> Well, now Amazon is running Stronghold/2.4.2 Apache/1.3.6 C2NetEU/2412
> (Unix) on Compaq Tru64 UNIX
>
> > Lets see...who else is running it...
> > Oh Stratus http://www.stratus.com/news/2000/2000417ov.htm
> >
> > You better go tell them Windows2000 hasn't been proven yet because
> > they are guaranteeing 99.999% unterupted computing on their servers
> > running Windows2000
>
> "The Stratus ftServer family delivers 99.999% hardware availability in
> baseline configurations."
>
> Please note "hardware availability." Not software. They'd been insane to
> make claims about another company's product like that.

They would be insane? You mean to say they invented and built every peice of
harware in their server so they wouldn't haver to be insane, or are they in
fact using someone elses products to build the server and guranteeing those
products?
Plus this is a direct copy and paste from their site:

"Stratus, maker of the world's most reliable servers, is responding to this
need by extending its unsurpassed uptime to Microsoft® Windows® 2000
environments."

> > Then you have Hewlett Packard who is installing the operating system
> > on 80,000+ desktops worldwide. Hmmm -  you better hurry up and call
> > them to let them know that their decision was made from non-credible
> > information! There might still be time to save them from impending
> > doom!
>
> Chances are it's more stable than NT4 or Windows 98. But more stable
> than Solaris, AIX or even FreeBSD? Nobody knows, but somehow I doubt it;
> similar claims about previous versions of Windows have failed to pan out.

Chances are it's the most stable operating system ....to date  "."

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:46:46 -0400

"JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS/PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > that
> having
> > > no

> reliable
> > > OS -
> > > Hotmail
> for
> > > many
> > >
> > > Who cares what Hotmail runs? Whats's the point of changing the server?
> It's
> > > just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others. There are
> employees
> > > and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the service ever
> turns a
> > > profit. Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary
> hardware
> > > and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.
> >
> > Because it's a fucking admission that their OWN product (which, whaddya
> > know, doesn't cost MS a dime) is incapable of handling the task.
>
> Well after looking into the matter further I've come across this little
gem,
> read it and weep:
> "HotMail has commenced its much awaited migration to a Microsoft operating
> system. Some Windows 2000 machines have recently been moved into the load
> balancing pool, with currently between 90-95% of requests being served by
> the established FreeBSD/Apache platform, and 5-10% from Windows 2000. The
> Hotmail site infrastructure is enormous, and even if everything runs
> smoothly, a migration will likely take several weeks."
>  http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

Oh... and then there's this:
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.apple.co.at&port=80

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:49:45 -0400

And this
http://www.netcraft.com/survey/developers/intel.html

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:57:40 -0400

and this...and this....and this...
  Netscape? Don't they HATE microsoft?
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=ancestry.netscape.com&port=80
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=askjeeves.netscape.com&port=80
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=atyouroffice.netscape.com&port=80
  Oracle?
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.oracle.li&port=80
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.oracle.ru&port=80

  Sun?
http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.sun.kz&port=80

Compaq.
http://www.netcraft.com/survey/developers/compaq.html

------------------------------

From: "devdut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.windows2000,alt.linux,alt.windows98,alt.linux.os
Subject: Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst than
Crack-Cocaine) - (I got to say it again!!!)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:06:23 +0200

then why did you stop?  I can tel you it wasnt windows.  Your just too lazy
u llamah!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gutenberg
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:37:15 GMT

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:
> Which was all the more remarkable considering that he was a butcher
> by trade.  The key is that an ordinary person came up with some
> extraordinary innovations.

Except for the wee problem that Gutenberg's innovations weren't worth
jack. The inventor of the *book* is the one who revolutionized writing.
Prior to him, Gutenberg's innnovation was used to print the Same Old
Shit; illuminated bibles and indulgences. Once you change the context
that way, it's hard to see Gutenberg as an "extraordinary innovator".

And this example is especially instructive if you realize that modern
computers are now also largely used to do the Same Old Shit that could
be done with paper, especially so when you're talking about computers
in schools supposedly meant to teach children about New Things.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard     says
  Linux growth stagnating
Date: 10 Aug 2000 09:41:14 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:53:39 -0700, Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>If you're referring to the licensing, it really depends upon your
>point of view.

I'm certainly not. I'm talking about the software itself. The GNU
stuff ( glibc, gnu find, gnu grep, gnu sed, gnu awk, gnu autoconf ... )
is nicer than most alternative inplementations.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:38:47 -0400
From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS advert says Win98 13 times less reliable than W2k

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > > A third time? Once to Elba, once to St. Helena's. When else?
> > >

> > Back to Elba, I believe.
>
> I believe that he was sent to Elba only once (1814).

        Yes, he was only kicked out twice, exiled first to Elba in 1814,
returned to France, then defeated, exiled, and died on St. Helena.

--
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

Ed C.

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:48:46 -0400
From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Failure of the USS Yorktown

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ed Cogburn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A combination of amazing industrial production and technology solved
> > the U-boat problem.  The convoy system, fast destroyer escorts in
> > large numbers, radar, sonar, and long range recconaisance planes
> > (which didn't just look for, but attacked submarines on the surface)
> > that could cover the Atlantic "Gap" were the technologies that
> > doomed the relatively obsolete U-boats (US "Gato" subs in the
> > Pacific were better), along with the US's ability to build "Liberty"
> > ships faster than the German and Japanese submarines acould sink
> > them.
>
> That plus the fact that the British had broken the German codes.  It
> does help your hunting if you know what the subs orders are...  :^)

        Yes, but they coundn't risk routing all convoys around the areas
where the U-boats were, if they did they risked tipping off the
Germans that the Allies knew where all its U-boats were.  Instead they
often sent heavily defended convoys deliberately into known U-boat
waters.  One of these convoys resulted in a massive multi-day battle
('43/'44, can't remember) between convoy defenders and a U-boat
wolfpack.  The convoy lost ships, but the wolfpack took huge losses.
After that things went downhill for the Germans.

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:02:04 -0400
From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >

> Actually, the REAL savior for air coverage was the invention of the
> so-called "jeep" carriers: Liberty (C-3) and Victory (C-4) ships
> converted into small aircraft carriers (with 10 - 20 single-engined
> craft on board.  SBD's or something like that)

        Yes, and before US industry could be used to build escort carriers in
large numbers, the British even launched fighters off large
transports.  The plane had to ditch afterword, but deperate times
required desperate measures.  The mini carriers were important too.

> > that could cover the Atlantic "Gap" were the technologies that doomed
> > the relatively obsolete U-boats (US "Gato" subs in the Pacific were
> > better), along with the US's ability to build "Liberty" ships faster
> > than the German and Japanese submarines acould sink them.
>
> Actually, the German Type XXI sub was pretty good...
> circling, electric drive ("wakeless"), magnetic-tripped, acoustic-homing
> torpedoes, and snorkels.  Left the allies clueless for a while...the
> Anti-sub forces then had to start deploying higher-frequency radar
> sets (first to 10cm and then to 3cm) just to find the German snorkels.

        There was an improved version (couldn't remember its ID) that finally
came out in '44 which was first class, but by this time it was just
too late.  They couldn't produce them quickly (production facilities
by now were in range of strategic bombing, the Allied invasion of
France took away many of the facilities that were located in France)
The subs the Germans fought with for the first 2 years of the war were
already inferior to the subs the US was using in the Pacific in '42
("Gato" class).

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:08:15 -0400
From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Gnome for me :-(

OSguy wrote:

> Next distro I'm trying is either Suse 7.0 or Debian 2.2 when they are
> available (Meanwhile I'll see if I can reset my Gnome problems with
> Redhat's Beta).

        On Debian, upgrading GNOME using Helixcode .deb packages was easy.  I
run an automatic upgrade almost everyday.  I check ftp.debian.org and
a place where the GNOME .debs are, with the dselect program, and
update database, download selected new packages and updated packages,
install packages, delete .debs and done.

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 10 Aug 2000 12:15:56 +0100

  Lee> But then, this is probably the only thread in gnu.misc.discuss
  Lee> that doesn't have somebody calling somebody else a communist.

        Actually that already happened earlier.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: Pontus Lidman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux can save you money on electricity!
Date: 10 Aug 2000 13:28:24 +0200

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> EMACS nead a key that isn't even on the keybord.

Now that's a funny joke. Emacs needs the keys you find on a
typewriter, and also escape and control keys. Nothing
else. Specifically, it does not need meta, alt, windows, arrow keys,
page up, f-keys, or suchlike. Not that you didn't know this of course,
mr.joker ;)

------------------------------

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Linux = Yet Another Unix
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:21:23 -0500

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <FgCi5.20344$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Spud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >All of which tells us that, since Unix was here first, that it lacked
> >something that made it viable in the home market.
>
> Price.  Unix was about $1,000 a box back then, sometimes with
> an extra charge for tcp, X, and a compiler.  It wasn't in
> tune with the single-user box concept.  I think windows came
> in at under $100.
        What UNIX for the home market was this and what date was it available?
By home market, I'm assuming the 8088.  That was the first PC when UNIX
was already in existance.  If no one did UNIX for the 8088, then when
for the '286?
If not the '286, then when for the '386?  And this was from who?

--
John W. Sanders
===============

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:52:20 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS/PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > that
> having
> > > no

> reliable
> > > OS -
> > > Hotmail
> for
> > > many
> > >
> > > Who cares what Hotmail runs? Whats's the point of changing the server?
> It's
> > > just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others. There are
> employees
> > > and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the service ever
> turns a
> > > profit. Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary
> hardware
> > > and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.
> >
> > Because it's a fucking admission that their OWN product (which, whaddya
> > know, doesn't cost MS a dime) is incapable of handling the task.
>
> Well after looking into the matter further I've come across this little gem,
> read it and weep:
> "HotMail has commenced its much awaited migration to a Microsoft operating
> system. Some Windows 2000 machines have recently been moved into the load
> balancing pool, with currently between 90-95% of requests being served by
> the established FreeBSD/Apache platform, and 5-10% from Windows 2000. The
> Hotmail site infrastructure is enormous, and even if everything runs
> smoothly, a migration will likely take several weeks."

It's only taken them 3 YEARS to start what should be a 6-month project
(180 days from initial concept meeting to completion of debugging).

>  http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.