  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Mike Byrns)

From: Bradley J. Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.arts.tv,alt.fan.dejanews
Subject: Re: Beatles and Mike Meyers for Deja
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:57:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John) wrote:
> Watching a promo for the show, I saw a ratings icon, and it mentioned a V for
> violence.  What in the show was violent?

It just occurred to me how Deja could make their site more appealing to
different users and fix some of these interface problems. And fix their
ratings system too, because I don't understand the need for some of this.
They could offer .MID files to play in the background when you read the text
Usenet, and one choice could be Beatles files. This might seem too
counter-cultural, but I truly believe that this music is pure genius, and
transcends its time period. Rubber Soul came out before the psychedelic stuff
and it would be a good one to go with. Or try Hot Tuna. Mike Meyers could be
paid to offer a special Austin Powers For Deja.com kind of skit. But I hope
Deja fixes this Lynx bug, because I want to post more, and I can't insert! I
think these .MID files could work in Linux while you type in the CLI. A
wizard app could let you choose which style to play, but make Beatles
available. -- How to combine Business and Counter-culture?
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/milton/

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:10:08 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...

> How's this better?  More usable to the average computer user?  I think not.
> What's wrong with a well written setup program that autoruns when you insert
> the CD?  You know the ones that ask to install the program if its not installed
> or run it or uninstall it if it is.  The same ones that often offer to display
> a release notes file that usually contains a list of the files installed, etc.
>
> Face it, most folks do NOT want to have to enter cryptic codes to do basic
> things like install software.

What's wrong with kpackage?   Insert CD.   The CD is automatically mounted and
kpackage is started with a description of the rpm file.   One click and you have a
list of files in the package.

The fact is, if you want a point and click GUI interface, you have it.   If you
prefer a CLI interface, you have that too.   Why do Windows people get so bent of
of shape just because CLI is offered as an option on Linux?

Gary

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:11:43 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > > "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > computer

> > > They'd
> > > formatting
> > >
> > > I usually have a need for that sort of text transformation several times
> > > a day.
> >
> > That's you pal.
> >
> > > The same group that reformats their disks and reloads windows for them
> > > when the OS screws up could teach them while they wait for the
> > > operation to complete.
> >
> > That's a group that only the linux folks seem to know.  Some people do that when
>
> Do you remember everyone who drinks from the water fountain?
> Of course not, because it's such a common occurance.
>
> On the other hand...if you saw someone drinking from the toilet, you
> would remember it....unless you were one of those individuals who
> regularly drinks from toilets, and thus, thinks nothing of it.

Damn, people!

For the last time -- put the lid down.  Aaron's drinking from the toilet again -- and
that blue water always makes him sick and mess the rug...

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:16:54 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > times

> > > Bah, I'd use Excel.
> >
> > It can do some nice things if you planned the contents of the columns
> > to start.   Regexps are good for fixing someone else's mistakes.

> > dialog
> > >
> > > Really?  Please document.
> >
> > Things like this:
> >
> > NETSCP6 caused an invalid page fault in
> > module XPCOM.DLL at 017f:60ca8bd9.
> > Registers:
> > EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=60ca8bd9 EFLGS=00010246
> > EBX=607282c8 SS=0187 ESP=0065fa54 EBP=0065fbf4
> > ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=0084ed80 FS=0e4f
> > EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
> > Bytes at CS:EIP:
> > 39 41 0c 74 03 8b 41 14 c3 8b 54 24 08 33 c0 3b
> > Stack dump:
> > 60723de1 00000000 0084ed80 0084ed80 00000000 60721af9 0084ed80 0084ed80
> > 80000000 00000000 607220da 00000000 0084ed80 00000000 0065fab8 60cc792b
> >
> > My son just had a similar crash on a freshly downloaded IE 5.5 on a
> > different
> > machine but didn't save the error.  MusicMaker 4 (full version) recently
> > started
> > doing something similar with a different dll when accessing cddb.  I have
> > fixed
> > that at least temporarily by downloading the free version of 6.0, but now
> > it bugs me about paying for the full version every  so often.   Everyone
> > I know who loads many different programs has the same stories.

> > > People that use Word and Excel -- AKA the vast majority of the world.
> >
> > Odd you should mention a word processor for people that don't deal
> > with text.

> > > Try it why don't you.  Put that code in you used before.  If it doesn't
> > work DL
> > > a grep clone.  They are not unique to nix.
> >
> > No, nothing resembling grouping works. The 'real' grep will compile with
> > appropriate tools, though.

> > > Save As, choose txt.  Does it bother you that there's no need to code
> > here?
> > >

> > I didn't look the way I expected, even after finding the space delimited
> > text save.  It padded the words to the width of the column.   It doesn't
> > bother me to use visual tools for small jobs now that 500+Mhz pentiums
> > are cheap.   It only bothers me that there are some obvious holes in
> > the functionality.
>
> That's not the real problem
>
> The REAL problem is that Microsoft has NO intention of filling in
> these functional holes unless they are dragged, kicking and screaming,
> to the solution.

Nah, I think the REAL problem is that you folks seem not to have even the most
basic understanding of Microsoft products.

Can you folks comprehend that saving a fixed width fielded file is NOT what you
really wanted?  This whole last first switch would take the average executive
assistant under a minute...

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:18:24 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> And don't bother telling me about how great the SoundBlaster Live is
> (locked 48k sampling rate and no true bit for bit digital copy) and
> how it is supported by Linsux. In reality it is only half supported.
> Now where did I put that Liveware CD for Linsux? I know it's here
> someplace.

Liveware?  Is that the thing that offers to add about 20 different
kinds of bizarre distortions to the otherwise reasonable sound
output?

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:17:41 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wahoo!  I'm running now

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Now using kde 2.0, how convenient. Ask one of your buddies to try it
> with SuSE 6.4 and whatever 1.x version comes with it and see what
> happens. Maybe it's a SuSE thing, maybe it's a Thinkpad maybe it's a
> corrupt install I don't know but it doesn't work and last time this
> came up at least one person agreed with me on it.

I told you before that I was using KDE 2.  I also told you before that this topic was
brought
up months ago, by you I believe.   At that time I was using KDE 1.1.2 and cut and
paste worked
just fine then.   Tell you what,  when I get to work tommorow, I'll try it out on
Linux for
S/390 where I still happen to have KDE 1.1.2 running.

> If I ever get Mandrake installed on this Thinkpad I'll try it with
> that distribution.
>
> How did you get Mandrake to install on your 765L, I'm all ears because
> I have run out of ideas.

I've never used Mandrake.  I installed Redhat, currently 6.2 on most systems, 7.0 on
one.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:19:39 -0500

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote...
> When I was at Kmart, Windows admins would routinely send files that
> needed such treatment to Unix admins, because in 30 seconds and one
> sed command, we could save them HOURS of repetitive cut&paste operations.

If this is true then those Windows admins are a set of idiots. There are
so many Windows based tools and apps available that support regex's and
will do that sort of thing easily.

--
|         ,__o
!ACM    _-\_<,  A thing is not necessarily true because
<(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ a man dies for it.

------------------------------

From: Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:19:45 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote...
> Indeed, quite a lot of functionality has been withheld from those computer
> users and they don't even know what they are missing.   I'll bet if they
> have a huge list of names in
> Last, First
> format and wanted
> First Last
> they would retype the whole thing since they don't have:
> :%s/\(.*\), \(.*\)/\2 \1/
> or any reasonable equivalent. Their loss.  And it would be
> mine if that is all I had.

Actually, what I do in Win2k here is fire up my TextPad, open the search
and replace tool, enable regex's and for the search expression:
^\([[:word:]]+\), \([[:word:]]+\) or
I could use your expression to be less precise
\(.*\), (.*\)
and the replacement expression
\2, \1
I hit 'replace all' and I'm done. If I feel I have to do this on more
occasions, I just create a macro to do it with one programmable shortcut.

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:19:02 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 02:04:55 GMT, Jim Broughton
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What it really comes down to is nitpicking. Cut and Paste works under X PERIOD.
> >It is better with the mouse buttons. Using it from menus is just plain SLOW.
>
> Not with a Thinkpad and a Trackpoint it isn't easier to swipe the text
> etc. It is actually quite difficult to do, especially when you have a
> lot of text. It actually takes 2 hands. The menu's are easier in this
> case, with this particular machine.
>
> On a regualar desktop the mouse is easier, I agree.
>
> claire

Yes, but paste is still easier with the mouse button.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "CJB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel To Dump Linux?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:10:04 -0500

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vcmc2$gbo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> They are looking to sell linux to raise enough money to save the
> company. Seems they see a great value in Linux, if it can be used to
> save the company.

Whatever happened to the money Microsoft was supposed to invest
in the company?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: 21 Nov 2000 04:26:29 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 02:55:28 GMT, Russ Lyttle wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>
>kernel, C++ (or even OOP) will perform satisfactorily. Take a look at
>Jean Labrosse's "Micro-C/OS" and see if you can implement it as a C++
>design that runs faster.

I'm going to leave the discussion about kernel design/implementations to
the experts, I lack the experience to make informed comments on this topic.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:30:32 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The difference is, if you said it I would believe you just as I
> believe most of what the Linvocates say about their own Windows
> horrors. I have been down those same roads many times myself and am
> not in denial about it. I tell it like it is, and in this case it
> doesn't work like it should with the distribution I was running on the
> machine I was running.

Well, I have said it and it is true.   You on the other hand have absolutely no
credibility.   You constantly complain about Linux, posting hundreds of
messages here.   Never once do you go ask for help in one of the Linux
newsgroups.   You say you had trouble installing Mandrake 7.2 on your
Thinkpad.  Did you ask for help in alt.os.linux.mandrake?   No.   The only post
from you is this:

> Welcome to Linux!

> The only operating system that you have to build yourself as you go along.
> I'll bet you didn't have all this trouble under Windows?

> claire

You can't just stay in c.o.l.a and harass people.   You have to go the
newsgroups where people are trying to get help and harass them there also.
What an asshole!

Gary

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:58:24 -0500

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> A few words about IIS.
>
>   {http://../../../../command.com}
>
>    Hope this helps!

What's that supposed to do, besides throw a 404 error? It doesn't even touch
the local server.
Even typing http://localhost/../../../../command.com doesn't do anything
especially since the path to command.com isn't even remotely shown in the
url above.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:46:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "CJB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Whatever happened to the money Microsoft was supposed to invest
> in the company?

Its a done deal and Corel is "rethinking" their Linux focus.

From: IAPW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.arts.tv,alt.fan.dejanews
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:47:13 GMT

In article <8vcrrg$krk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Bradley J. Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It just occurred to me how Deja could make their site more appealing
> different users and fix some of these interface problems. And fix
> their ratings system too, because I don't understand the need for
> some of this.
> They could offer .MID files to play in the background when you read
> the text Usenet, and one choice could be Beatles files.

One time while using deja.com I was looking up stuff on
their normal catalog, and a phone sex ad kept on flashing at
the top.  I found that pretty funny.

--
101 things I laugh at.
#4:  People who call others idiots but don't know how to spell "idiot"
themselves.
"He's an idjit."William December Starr
#3:  People who comment about comments on my sig.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:01:14 GMT

JS/PL wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > A few words about IIS.
> >
> >   {http://../../../../command.com}
> >
> >    Hope this helps!
>
> What's that supposed to do, besides throw a 404 error? It doesn't even touch
> the local server.
> Even typing http://localhost/../../../../command.com doesn't do anything
> especially since the path to command.com isn't even remotely shown in the
> url above.

It's just another example of how little the nix folks know about Windows.