  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) (Aaron Kulkis)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:59:09 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> . ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : > Actually, a recent independent study (again, quoted by Microsoft Press Corp,
> : > but still independently proven) has indicated that Microsoft's Win2k servers
> : > can regularly incur up-time in the '5 9's' range.  99.999%.

This man is lying.

That's 5 9's for a CLUSTER of 5 Lose2k machines.

which is pretty pathetic...it means that with 4 or fewer Lose2k
machines, it's almost certain that ALL FOUR MACHINES WILL BE
DOWN SIMULTANEOUSLY for at least 5 minutes per year.

Solaris can accomplish this with ONE machine.
Linux too.

> : Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
> : year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
> : (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
> : need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.
>
> I'm sure a Linux LAN server could achieve that uptime, but not a Windows * OS.
> For a Windows server to achieve that uptime, the machine will need a LOT of
> memory for the inevitable memory leaks that eventually crash it. Cheap
> motherboards now can take up to a gigabyte of memory, sold separately of
> course. I don't know if a gig would delay the BSOD long enough to allow only
> annual booting. Has anyone yet attempted to assemble such a machine to test
> the theory?
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:59:37 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:
>
> >> That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> >> was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> >> proving a historical event.
>
> > Zapruder film.
> > Autopsy.
> > Funeral.
>
> > Case closed.
>
> Ah, so there are other ways than direct observation and
> repeateable experimental results to "know" something?

Those are direct observations, you twit.

> Good, we are getting somewhere.
>
> So, we both have faith in the historical record?
>
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
>
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
>
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
>
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:07:01 -0700

nuxx wrote:

> "Bloody Viking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96sgqd$neh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > . ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : > Actually, a recent independent study (again, quoted by Microsoft Press
> Corp,
> > : > but still independently proven) has indicated that Microsoft's Win2k
> servers
> > : > can regularly incur up-time in the '5 9's' range.  99.999%.
> >
> > : Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
> > : year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
> > : (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
> > : need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.
> >
> > I'm sure a Linux LAN server could achieve that uptime, but not a Windows *
> OS.
> > For a Windows server to achieve that uptime, the machine will need a LOT
> of
> > memory for the inevitable memory leaks that eventually crash it. Cheap
> > motherboards now can take up to a gigabyte of memory, sold separately of
> > course. I don't know if a gig would delay the BSOD long enough to allow
> only
> > annual booting. Has anyone yet attempted to assemble such a machine to
> test
> > the theory?
> >

> Wrong.  I have a production NT4 database server that has been up for over 6
> months and counting.  There are no memory leaks in the kernel.
>
> nuxx

The crux of any discussion concerning Windows performance as a server
has to revolve around DOS.  And that's not a derogatory statement.  It's
a decision THEY, Microsoft as a company, made for marketing reasons - to
leverage their installed desktop base into server sales.

If you were to go out and design server software, you would not base it
on an intentionally crippled, home-use OS.

But they did.  For whatever reasons.  They put a huge obstacle in front
of themselves on the path to serverdom.  It's as if you built
rollerskates for a living and then suddenly decided to build a car.  But
instead of building a car from scratch, you built up from the
rollerskates, betting that the people who'd bought your skates in the
past would buy your car.

With MS' money and talent, through numerous iterations, it's quite
likely that they will produce something reliable.  But they've WILLINGLY
started so FAR BEHIND that it's hopelessly optimistic to think they'll
ever catch up.

Moore's law has helped MS more than anything else.  As an example: for
thirty US dollars, Linux can sit and provide real-life IT solutions from
a 2.5G harddrive, for Chrissakes, in a 16M RAM footprint.

NT/2000 can't.  Won't.  Never will.  Bad design, awesome marketing.

MjM

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:03:24 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK) writes:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Craig Kelley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >And Bush scored above the 90th percentile of those that took the
> > >test.
> >
> > If this is true than it just means everyone else are morons too.  When I
> > took it (1974) my scores of 650(verbal)/780(math) were too weak to get
> > into places like Stanford (the 650 was only 33rd pctile or so for
> > Stanford!).
> >
> > If I recall right the 650 was about 89th or 90th pctile.
>
> I never took the SAT, but my ACT score (30) was in the 97th
> percentile.  I don't condescend to call others morons because of it.

Only 97th percentile?

Lamer...

:-)

> Also, more than half of the students that go to high school never even
> take these tests, so these percentile rankings are ratios of the other
> less-than-half that bothered (ie, you can half the difference to get a
> better generalization).  You're basically saying that 39 in 40 people
> are morons, on average.

Yup

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:04:42 -0500

John Rudd wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >

> > According to convetion, I would assume that he, like most people, think that
> > about free software as *free*.
> > IE, cost no money.
> > YMMV, but that is what I think when I see the word free.
>
> So, your right to free speech is the right to not pay to speak?
>
> When Lincoln freed the slaves, he was merely marking down their cost?

      "FREE SLAVES.
 Limit: 12 per plantation"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:09:17 -0500

Joshua Hesse wrote:

> In comp.sys.next.advocacy Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  :On 19 Feb 2001 01:41:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:
>
>  :> The "information wants to be free" idea comes from the GNU ideology as well as
>  :> freeware crypto with PGP. PGP is "Pretty Good Privacy", data encryption strong
>  :> enough that even the most resource posessing rogue government (i.e. the US
>  :> government) can't crack it.
>
>  :Unlike the UK where you get 2 years in jail if you don't provide the most
>  :fascist government in decades (if ever, and that includes Thatcher)  with
>  :the key on demand - even if you've no idea what it is, and 5 years in jail
>  :if you tell anyone about their request for said key.
>
>  :So no massively parallel processor needed.
>
> So if someone were to anonamously start mailing ROT13 UUENCODED gifs or
> other random stuff and entitled it 'SECRET ENCRYPTED BUCKINGHAM BOMB PLANS'
> to random British (l)users, the random British (l)users could get
> arrested?
>
> Who's running the place, Hilter?

Nobody nearly as sane as that...

> --
>
>     "I have also mastered pomposity, even if I do say so myself." -Kryten
>
>                  UNL Anime Club:  http://www.unl.edu/otaku

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 20 Feb 2001 04:13:04 GMT

: Welfare fucks this up, because it allows people to not work
: but still get paid.

Oops, I think you meant _corporate_ welfare.  Yes it does.  You didn't mean
little guy welfare.  One coporate welfare project can take more cash than
all the little guy welfare cases combined.  And it's your money so you better
get those rich guys who really do have hot tubs.  forget about the poor, they
get picked on enough and  you're not a bully.  I used to live near ghetto,
my mom was on welfare.  We didn't have a hot tub.  Nor champage.

: I think it should be mandatory that every able-bodied on the dole
: should do 20 hours public service per week.

Oh, like little Bush and all the other rich guys who live it up on _your_
tax dollars?  I'm quoting, he said it was your money so check to see if
he's drawing a salary.  He has enough dough all ready.

: Once welfare has all the disadvantages of work, but with less
: pay...the welfare rolls will diminish greatly (just like when
: Gov. Engler cut off "General Assistance" to all able-bodied adults).

Yea, so they can be exploited for cheap labor. I guess might does make
right.

Fred

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:12:57 -0500

John Rudd wrote:

> Ziya Oz wrote:

> > > So what *do* you mean by "free software"? IE5?
> >
> > Software that comes unattached, without conditions, strings and
> > dependencies...as in "free" and not GPLed.
> >

> A) under that definition, no one has any form of freedom.  We all have
> conditions and dependancies placed up on us, such as not shouting fire in a
> crowded room that is not in fact on fire, rules of decency, etc.
>
> B) What many people don't realize about free software (even many free
> software advocates) is that "freedom" in free software isn't about freedom
> for developers and users.  Sure, it makes many things more liberated for
> them (end users are free to modify it, free to redistribute it, etc.), but
> really that's not whose freedom is being talked about.
>
> Freedom is being granted to the software itself.  It makes the software its
> own entity that cannot be "enslaved" by future developers.  Developers are
> not being granded blank-check freedom (freedom to do whatever they want
> with it, freedom to redistribute the code under a non-GPL license, etc.).
> Instead, the code has been liberated from its chains to those who developed
> the code.

A better way of putting it is that once some code is put unde GPL,
it can't be kidnapped by some lazy, greedy SOB somewhere down the pike.

> That is, ofcourse, philosophical as opposed to concrete.  What does it mean
> for a non-concious being to have rights and freedoms?  The software
> certainly can't decide for itself that it does or doesn't want to be open
> or propietary, but it does embody the concept that outside beings may not
> "tell" the software whether or not it will be free or enslaved.  That is
> the underlying meme and goal of "free software".  It's not granting freedom
> to the developer(s), nor freedom to the users, but freedom to the software
> itself.
>
> So, when you say "without strings or conditions", let me put it to you this
> way: Is your SO a free and liberated person?  Yet, you do have strings and
> conditions in your relationship with them, yes?  If you violate the terms
> of the relationship, you cannot stop them from leaving you (without doing
> something illegal like stalking or killing them), right?  You may not force
> them to do things that they do not decide to submit to for themselves,
> right?
>
> Linux is "free" in the same sense that your SO is free.  Free to not be
> dictated to by you.  And as long as a developer or user treats Linux the
> way Linux wants to be treated (ie. within the confines of the GPL), then
> everything is okay ... just like you have to treat your SO the way they
> want to be treated (ie. within the confines of your relationship), or
> they'll leave you.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:14:39 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> > . ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : > Actually, a recent independent study (again, quoted by Microsoft Press Corp,
> > : > but still independently proven) has indicated that Microsoft's Win2k servers
> > : > can regularly incur up-time in the '5 9's' range.  99.999%.
> >
> > : Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
> > : year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
> > : (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
> > : need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.
> >
> > I'm sure a Linux LAN server could achieve that uptime, but not a Windows * OS.
> > For a Windows server to achieve that uptime, the machine will need a LOT of
> > memory for the inevitable memory leaks that eventually crash it. Cheap
> > motherboards now can take up to a gigabyte of memory, sold separately of
> > course. I don't know if a gig would delay the BSOD long enough to allow only
> > annual booting. Has anyone yet attempted to assemble such a machine to test
> > the theory?
>
> I think they were talking about their new ($3,000 per node) cluster
> software, which, by still calling "uptime" the time during which at
> least one of the nodes is operation, they can make five-nines.

And that's ONLY if you have 5 or more such nodes.

With only 3 or 4 nodes, they STILL can't make 5 9's.
Pretty fucking pathetic....

> You had to know it was a scam, right?
>
> --
> Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:
>         Negative expectations yield negative results.
>         Positive expectations yield negative results.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.