From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux a Miserable Consumer OS
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:26:20 -0500

Here's a solution, go back to Micro$oft!  None of us care what you use.  But
when M$ fucks you over with WinXP and .NET, don't come crying to us.  No one
is trying to make you abandon M$.  That is your personal choice.  I made my
personal choice to abandon them because I do not like their business
practices, they are trying to monopolize everything, they are stopping
innovation from happening, they take draconian paranoid measures to stop
"piracy".  M$ even wants to punish people who casually copy programs.  For
instance, If a friend wanted a copy of a program, and I burn a CD for him,
M$ would want to prosecute for that.  In fact, they are putting a feature in
WinXP in which you will be REQUIRED to register.  And if there are more than
two copies of a software (serial numbers), M$ will send a signal through the
Internet to desable your OS.  And M$ just fucked AOL over, causing AOL to
declare war against M$.  These are a few of my reasons I switched to Linux.
I want total control over my computer, and that is impossible in Windows.  I
believe in individual ownership, and under Linux, you completely own the
software in your computer.  You have the ownership rights to change anything
as you please, but M$ does not give you the option to do that.  Sure, Linux
is harder than Windows, but it has much more functionality.  Also, with the
rapid development of applications possible with Open Source, Linux is
actually surpassing Windows in many respects.  Try Gnome 1.4, or KDE 2.1.
You will be amazed at how easy it is to use.  Software installation is much
easier now with RPM.  There are many rpm installers, which make installation
easy.

But that is just my opinion.  Go do whatever you want to do.  Go to a M$
newsgroup and talk about how great they are.  And upon leaving, don't let
your computer BSOD you on the way out.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Linux was/is and will continue to be a miserable failure as a consumer
> desktop OS until it wakes up and starts offering an end result that is
> superior instead of an inferior result based upon theoretical superior
> technologies.
>
> Consumers want instant gratification and Linux is way out in left
> field as far as that is concerned. A consumer can call a 1-800 number
> they saw on TV and order the latest and greatest Pentium 4 system with
> all of the bells and whistles including AOL or MSN for less than 2k.
> They open the box plug it in and it works. Sure the scanner/printer
> and modem are Win* variety, but who cares? It works. They have a
> pre-load with all kinds of games, office suites and so forth. The same
> Office suites that their children are using in school. My daughter
> needed to a Power point presentation for French class the other day
> (she is 15 and in 9th grade). Am I going to give her a Linux version?
> Hell no!!! I want the CD I burn to run on Windows because that is what
> her teacher uses. Why be a martyr?
>
> Linux lusers like to talk about free applications. Well take a look at
> the header page of Freshmeat for today 5/5/2001.
>
> I sure see a lot of great stuff here....NOT :(

**

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:17:16 -0500

So WE are losers because you are too much of a retard to be able to use
Linux?  Or how about going into KDE settings, and checking the anti-alias
fonts box.  But Noooooooo!  You didn't see that because your head was in
your ass, and I bet you get lots of sexual pleasure from that too!!

Linux is a new machine.  So of course there are going to be things that need
to be worked out, but so does Microsoft.  A company that spends billions of
dollars developing applications that do not know how to keep a stack from
overflowing (the source of many of M$'s illegal operations) is in worse
shape than a paradigm with jagged fonts.  But with the speed that Linux and
its applications are updating itself, it will correct itself.  I took M$
over 10 years to go from Win3x to Win2K.  It only took KDE about 4 years to
get where it is now.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:19:09 -0500

Oh, and another thing, why see if Gnome meets your needs?  Don't base your
attacks on Linux on one single program.

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:21:16 -0500

Maybe they don't use those alternative GUIs because KDE and Gnome works very
well for them.  I am a KDE guy, and it works VERY well for me.

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:25:06 -0500

Obviously, you do not want control over your system.  You would rather have
M$ treat you like a baby.  Go ahead and keep sucking on the breast if you
want.  But eventually, the breast will stop producing milk, and you will
have to learn how to get your own food.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> On 06 May 2001 03:34:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 06 May 2001 02:57:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 May 2001 13:31:53 -0700

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think the theory is that mammles and birds used started off down the
> warm body path by trying to maintain their body temperature high in order
> to remain more active for more of the time. As we speak, the iguanas on
> the galapagos are doing that now. Who knows, in 1e6 years we could have a
> third warm blooded group.

To drag this thread even further off-topic...

The Galapagos Islands are fascinating laboratories for seeing
evolution in action since they are so isolated.  A good example of
this are the vampire finches of Wolf Island.  The island has no fresh
water sources except for the relatively short rainy season.  As a
result, certain finches that have long, sharp beaks have developed a
rather morbid method of meeting water demands.  The finches wait for
the chicks of another bird, the masked boobie, to hatch, and they
begin pecking holes in the necks of the chicks.  All the other finches
gather round and start taking turns drawing blood from the wounds.
Sometimes the chicks survive, sometimes they don't.

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318