Linux-Advocacy Digest #752, Volume #28           Wed, 30 Aug 00 14:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Joe R.")
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Joe R.")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Why doesnt SuSE and RedHat wait until later this autum? (R.E.Ballard ( Rex
Ballard ))
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
  Re: Linux/unix programs  505
  Re: Why doesnt SuSE and RedHat wait until later this autum? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Windows stability(Memory Comparison) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Ok, yeah, Visual Basic sucks, but... (Craig Kelley)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Jack
Troughton)
  Re: How low can they go...?
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
  Re: How low can they go...? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: How low can they go...? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: How low can they go...? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform (Mathue)
  Re: Linux/unix programs  505 ("Ingemar Lundin")

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:12:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> javelina wrote:
> >
> > Jack Troughton wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, I'll keep that in mind; I think it would be fun to
> > > play on an IRIX. Do you have any X software I can run?
> > > I'd have to re-setup XFree86-OS/2, but for some of that
> > > 3d stuff those IRIX's got, it'd be completely worth it (drool).
> >
> > Sorry, I don't do anything particularly exciting on
> > Irix, no 3-D modeling, etc.  My typical workday on the
> > O2 is to launch a techno beat mp3, open up five or six
> > xterms, ssh into various Irix, HP, and Solaris servers, and
> > try to keep the users happy.
> >
> > I see printouts on the walls and cubicles around here
> > as evidence that somebody is playing with some cool Irix
> > 3D tools, but I've never done so myself.
> >
> > > Actually, my PC is a work of art, too, as well as being
> > > a workhorse.  Mind you, the art involved is different,
> > > but... Built it myself, yadda yadda yadda, and works
> > > very well for me. I have a lot of fun with my PC.
> >
> > I'd like to build a PC someday, but usually when I'm home
> > the last thing I want to do is futz around with my computer.
>
> It only takes about 60-120 minutes TOTAL time.
>
> break it down into 10-15 minute chunks.
>
> But the case
> Buy a motherboard, cpu, and memory.
>
> Put all of that in the case.
>
> Keep buying more components and install as time permits
> until the whole computer workds.

That's ridiculous.

There's no way it's an hour job.

If you place your component orders separately, you're going to waste an
hour just ordering the stuff. Even if you place them all at the same
place, you've got at least 15-30 minutes specifying what you need, your
credit card number, etc.

And then you have a similar amount of time opening packages and
discarding the trash.

Of course, this even ignores all the hours spent researching your buying
decision and time spent getting the thing to work.

Then, add in a _minimum_ of 45 minutes just to install the OS.

So, even if you can assemble and test the entire PC in 30 seconds,
there's no way to do the entire job in an hour.

Isn't it marvelous how people will pull a number out of their ass and
expect everyone to believe it.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:27:07 +1000

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Seán Ó Donnchadha" escribió:
> >
> > "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >For the record, the part that you trimmed is where Max claimed that he
> > >didn't need any facts or details. After all, facts and details are
> > >unimportant to him. He seems to think that he can understand everything
> > >at some esoteric level without having any facts or details to back it
> > >up. That's ridiculous and I was merely pointing that out.
> > >

> > Yep, that would explain his comments about Windows and IE integration.
> > What I find remarkable is Max's ability to muddle things up by
> > spending paragraph after eloquent paragraph saying absolutely nothing.
> > Debating with him is like trying to do the butterfly stroke in a pool
> > of quick-dry cement.
>
> Amen brother. And his multitasking thread, and his sticky bit thread,
> and so on.

I see y'all are starting to understand :).  Max is, without a doubt, one of
the most infuriating people I"ve ever had the displeasure of conversing
with.

------------------------------

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:17:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roberto Alsina
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Seán Ó Donnchadha" escribió:
> >
> > "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >For the record, the part that you trimmed is where Max claimed that he
> > >didn't need any facts or details. After all, facts and details are
> > >unimportant to him. He seems to think that he can understand everything
> > >at some esoteric level without having any facts or details to back it
> > >up. That's ridiculous and I was merely pointing that out.
> > >

> > Yep, that would explain his comments about Windows and IE integration.
> > What I find remarkable is Max's ability to muddle things up by
> > spending paragraph after eloquent paragraph saying absolutely nothing.
> > Debating with him is like trying to do the butterfly stroke in a pool
> > of quick-dry cement.
>
> Amen brother. And his multitasking thread, and his sticky bit thread,
> and so on.

Yeah. I've been a whisker away from just kill-filing him, but I hate to
do that because if someone doesn't destroy what pass for arguments in
his mind, some innocent third party might stumble upon them and believe
them.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:32:24 -0400

"Joe R." wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > javelina wrote:

> > > Sorry, I don't do anything particularly exciting on
> > > Irix, no 3-D modeling, etc.  My typical workday on the
> > > O2 is to launch a techno beat mp3, open up five or six
> > > xterms, ssh into various Irix, HP, and Solaris servers, and
> > > try to keep the users happy.
> > >
> > > I see printouts on the walls and cubicles around here
> > > as evidence that somebody is playing with some cool Irix
> > > 3D tools, but I've never done so myself.

> > > I'd like to build a PC someday, but usually when I'm home
> > > the last thing I want to do is futz around with my computer.
> >
> > It only takes about 60-120 minutes TOTAL time.
> >
> > break it down into 10-15 minute chunks.
> >
> > But the case
> > Buy a motherboard, cpu, and memory.
> >
> > Put all of that in the case.
> >
> > Keep buying more components and install as time permits
> > until the whole computer workds.
> >

> That's ridiculous.
>
> There's no way it's an hour job.

I was just talking about physical assembly, not purchasing components.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why doesnt SuSE and RedHat wait until later this autum?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:27:19 GMT

In article <L8%q5.2197$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> SuSE and RedHat will shortly release version 7 of
> their distros, but (and fell free to correct me if i am wrong),
> those will contain little or nothing
> new compared to the previous one.
>
> Kernel 2.4, KDE 2.0, GNOME 2.0 (or Helix or whatever...), will all be
> released at least 2-3 months from now.

However many of the components have been available for a while now.
Remember, we're talking Open Source here.  There's a great deal more
effort going into making sure that all the new releases play nicely
together, but many of the components have already been tested and
work quite well.

Normally, Linux development and betas are done in the 2.3.xx releases
and then frozen in the 2.4 releases.  The 2.4 product is being much
more rigorously tested before it "Goes Public".

Remember, the goal in 2.4 is to have a release that's "Better than
commercial UNIX kernels".  This means making sure everything is fast,
reliable, secure, stable, and easy to manage.

KDE 2.0 is also essentially formalization of existing 1.X components
that have been evolving over the last year.

It probably is pretentious of Mandrake to call their release 7.0,
but they are already on 7.1, meanwhile, Red Hat 6.2 is getting a
bad reputation as being "user unfriendly" compared to Mandrake et al.

SuSE is always very agressive about trying to get as much of the
newest in both GPL, Open Source, and Commercial (renewable
license key) software into each new release.  A great deal has been
happening for Linux lately.  Also, with OEMs now rolling out desktop,
"tuxtop", laptop, and even PDA versions of Linux, being really friendly
is very important.

Mandrake has published 24 security fixes since their 7.0 release,
Netscape has gone from 4.7 to 4.75 (still has the memory leak),
and there are whole new collections of eye-candy that Red Hat didn't
include in 6.1.

> I think it smells Remond style greed
> to release versions only to keep the
> market going (ie. the money), and its
> not helping Linux to conquer the desktop market.

Originally, these upgrades were supposed to be available
by now.  But no one wants the type of fiasco that happened
with 2.2.1 and Red Hat 5.0 (installs failed, applications broke,
performance on some configurations suffered...

Essentially, 2.4.0 is available in "Beta" already.  Caldera and
others are already offering systems with these CDs.  On the other
hand, it looks like Linux is trying to essentially go to market
with at least a "2.4.2" release.

> Releasing versions that for the last year
> basicaly havent changed at all
> (last major upgrade was Kernel 2.2,
> KDE 1.1 and Gnome 1.0.something)

True, but there have been substantial performance upgrades
from 2.2.11 to 2.2.16, and both KDE and GNOME are substantially
more "fleshed out" than the basic packages included with Red Hat.

SuSE will be more of a "preview of comming attractions", including
new commercial software from IBM, Oracle, Sybase, EA, Corel, Sun,
and many, many others.

--
Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:23:15 -0700

Christophe Ochal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uVar5.364$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Yea, like the episode where homer thinks Burns is an alien, if one pas
> attention to it, you can see a bunch of kids playing the tune from "close
> encounters of the third kind" :)

Are not all the Simpson's aliens?  Look at their skin tone; look at the zig
zag shapes of their skulls; look at the bride of Frankenstien hair.  They
can't be of this world!  ;-)

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/unix programs  505
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:31:46 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8ois5c$t5j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I sell

> and many other linux and windows programs ...

Well, bully for you!  Do you really expect us to come to Yugoslavia (your
location) to purchase what we can get for for free from the net or for
bargin prices from the local stores where we are already?

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:56:54 -0300

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" escribió:

[Snip a lot of stuff I am in no position to discuss]

> KDE 2.0 is also essentially formalization of existing 1.X components
> that have been evolving over the last year.

Not really. A whole lot of very important code is completely new.
For example, when you start the system, not a single pixel in
the screen is part of the interface of a program that existed on
KDE 1.x

The icons were from kfm, they are now from kdesktop, new code.
The panel was kpanel, now it's kicker, new code.
Window decorations were kwm, they are now kwin, new code.

And so on.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows stability(Memory Comparison)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:12:48 GMT

In article <QuSq5.8087$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sorry.  I simply do not believe you that A system with X, KDE,
and
> > > several other major services only takes 35MB.  X with KDE alone
will
> take up
> > > at least that much (KDE buffers consume huge amounts of memory in
fact).

> > Believe what you want, but I run X, KDE, and man other things on my
> Thinkpad
> > with 32MB of memory.
>
> You've never heard of virtual memory?

System with KDE 1.93 (approx) and netscape running:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
Mem:         57636      56136       1500      34572       1332     20776
-/+ buffers/cache:      34028
23608
Swap:        72256       1188      71068

And I'm not even TRYING to cut down on memory. This machine
has almost all servers turned on, and KDE was compiled with
normal options, not optimized for space/memory.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

Subject: Re: Ok, yeah, Visual Basic sucks, but...
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Aug 2000 11:28:08 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Sorry, this is probably geared more towards the programmers in this
> newsgroup, but I have a question:
>
> They're making me take VB 6 as part of my studies at school. Me and one
> of the instructors were a little bored so we downloaded some sample VB
> code that sets up a server and client chat program.
>
> Took us about 15 minutes to get it working, and there was probably less
> than 100 lines of code (error handling included), and after a few
> minutes, we were already playing around with the data we were sending
> back and worth (not just text messages but modifications and function
> outputs using the text messages as input, etc.). Real easy stuff. The
> basis for the chat program is the use of the Microsoft Winsock control,
> which probably has its limitations etc. etc. but I had to say I was
> impressed with how quickly we could have started something big based on
> this one control.

I've done a similar setup with Java; it's fairly simple to do this.

> In my spare time I'm trying to learn GTK+ programming, and I was
> wondering if there was anything comparable to this sort of control
> available for Linux programmers? A bonobo component, maybe?

GTK+ isn't used for this sort of programming; it's more akin to MFC
for Visual C++.

> Methods were: Accept, Bind, Close, Connect, GetData, Listen, PeekData,
> SendData

See the man pages for accept() bind(), close()  (Where do you think
Microsoft got it's methods from?)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jack Troughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:22:54 -0400

Josiah Fizer wrote:

> Eric Bennett wrote:
>
> > In article <8oim2o$rjl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, javelina
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Sorry, I don't do anything particularly exciting on
> > > Irix, no 3-D modeling, etc.  My typical workday on the
> > > O2 is to launch a techno beat mp3, open up five or six
> > > xterms, ssh into various Irix, HP, and Solaris servers, and
> > > try to keep the users happy.
> > >
> > > I see printouts on the walls and cubicles around here
> > > as evidence that somebody is playing with some cool Irix
> > > 3D tools, but I've never done so myself.
> >
> > Probably wouldn't do him much good anyway.  A lot of 3D SGI software
> > seems to require proprietary SGI X server extensions (GL != OpenGL) and
> > I'd bet his XFree86/OS-2 doesn't have that.  Plus it's ridiculously slow
> > with remote display (which assumes you're doing it between two IRIX
> > machines, so that all the necessary X server extensions are there).
> >
> > For example, we have stereo 3D video hardware install on our Alpha
> > workstations, and we have an OpenGL-enabled X server on our Alpha
> > workstations, but you can't remote display certain molecular graphics
> > programs written for the SGI, because they require GL instead of OpenGL.
> >

> Ah good, this thread is turning into somthing worth reading again.

Yeah... it was time to take back the group!;)

> GL is only a problem with older software or programs that where never updated for
> OpenGL. GL has long since been droped by SGI but many programers still cling to it.

Hmmm... back to an earlier post... does anyone know if the sources
for that 3d stuff is available? From what I understand, porting it
to XFree on warp shouldn't be too much of a stretch... unless it
depends on wacky closed libs, of course.

Jack
Montreal PQ
CANADA

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:26:28 -0700

Christophe Ochal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:qVar5.361$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <cut>
>
> > Wow you must be a real computer geek, we all stand in awe.
>
> LOL thx :)
>
> > If you were using a Mac or OS/2 in 1991 for personal use,  I would not
> > call them "alternative" I would call them unpopular. Anything made by
> > IBM was not designed to be "Alternative"
>
> Nope, not a mac, nope, no OS/2 neighter, come on,  you can take better
> guesses then that :)

 AmigaDos?  DR-Dos?  CP/M?  MP/M?

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:35:30 -0700

Christophe Ochal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:s%5r5.351$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> NASq5.8089$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <cut>
>
> > Do you know what "backwards compatible" means?  An app can be backwards
> > compatibile, meaning that it works with older OS's.  An OS can be
> backwards
> > compatible, meaning it works with older Apps.  A user interface being
> > backwards compatible means what?  That it works with older users?

A UI interface is backwards compatibile when it provides all the API's and
widgets/controls of an older UI act and react precisly as they did with the
older UI, also he UI has to look and react to the user just as the older UI
did.

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:47:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> There are few things more annoying than the requirement to
> >> sequentially install various versions of a software product
> >> due to such 'upgrade licences'.
> >
> >Yes. That would be why you do not have to do this with Windows upgrade
> >products, I'd imagine. You can install on a "bare" machine with an upgrade
> >product.
>
>         Nope.

Prove your point.  "Nope.", just doesn't cut the mustard.

You can install on a "bare" machine with all current upgrade products.  Just insert
qualifying media when prompted.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:49:15 GMT

"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:n%5r5.346$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8oh0tu$rb9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Please show me where I can buy a bare machine that will run MacOS9, and
> > which does not come pre-bundled with a copy of MacOS.
>
> Format the HD, can you reinstall MacOS9 * WITHOUT* first installing MacOS
8
> or whatever? Yes you can, there, point proven

No, point not proven. You've just formatted the drive. It still came with
MacOS. You paid for MacOS. Anything you buy after that is an upgrade price.

Simon

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:53:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:21:01 +0100, Robert Moir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:paOq5.282$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> >> So? Should we feel sorry for them? I'll pay for winblows when they bring
> >out
> >> a version i actually enjoy using...
> >
> >Theft is still theft. Would it be ok to steal your car if I didn't like the
> >colour?
> >

>         It would be if you were the robber baron that conspired to ensure
>         that anyone that wanted to drive would have to buy your particular
>         brand of car.
>
>         There is no immorality in unlicenced use of an "essential facility".
>
>         That any you cheapen the notion of theft with your usage of the term.

It's sad that so many folks have bought into the Ellison, Case, Jobs media machine so
wholeheartedly that it compromises the very fiber of their morals.  What was said above
is that it is legal to steal as long as the entity you are stealing from is Microsoft.
That's just not true.  No court nor rational person will agree with you.

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:57:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:17:04 -0700, Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> It would be if you were the robber baron that conspired to ensure
> >> that anyone that wanted to drive would have to buy your particular
> >> brand of car.
> >
> >Build your own system then. Even during the days before the consent decree,
>
>         That is pure bullshit.

What is bullshit?  I've been able to get machines without Windows forever.  Again,
you have no point since you have no proof.

> >I was able to get a machine without Windows.
>
>         ...and run what on it?

I ran BeOS r4.5 and Mandrake linux on my dual 600.

------------------------------

platform
From: Mathue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:01:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[Followups set]

> >If you gave Win95 more than 16 megs it was fine,  but with less,  it was
> >slow.  When I went to 24 megs,  Win95 almost doubled in speed.   Win3.11
>
>         When going from 8M to 32M on a 486, my wife was convinced that I
>         had gone out and bought a CPU upgrade behind her back.

   Yah, when I went from 8M to 16M on my old 60MHz Pentium it really
was like a new machine. Really was a mark'd difference.

> >wasn't bad with 8 megs and a Pentium class cpu,  I had a P75 with 8 megs, in
> >June 1995.
>
>         Yes it was. It swapped like a motherfucker. That reduced it's
>         effective speed to the speed of disk rather than the speed of
>         DRAM or of CPU.

   I partially blame the constant swapping (Chewing as a friend calls
it) with reducing the lifespan of my 60MHz''s HD. That 640 meg drive
has been the ONLY drive that's ever died on me. That OS would swap for
the fun of it sometimes, it was weird.

--
MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

101010

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:04:24 GMT

Well...correct me if im wrong "Peter", but isnt Quake2 a licensed game?

/IL