Linux-Advocacy Digest #752, Volume #30            Fri, 8 Dec 00 20:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied. (JM)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (JM)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (JM)
  Re: need to open 100 windows (JM)
  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Just in case anybody is wondering about reliability ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: What does KDE do after all ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Linux is awful (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped) (Bob Hauck)
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (kiwiunixman)

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: 8 Dec 2000 23:45:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Steve Mading writes:

:>> Fortunately, I didn't make such a blanket statement.  My comment
:>> was restricted to the use of hjkl for cursor movement.  That's a
:>> rather small subset of vi.

:> Well, then we'll just have to disagree then.  I don't think
:> that's true for the first time user who hasn't gotten any
:> preconcieved notions from using other editors first.  You think
:> it is.

: Are you saying that the first-time user *will* know that hjkl
: moves the cursor around???

No, I'm not.  Just that this isn't any *MORE* counter-intuitive
than anything else a text editor does.  Let's go back to that
example you cited earlier, where a user has been used to
typewriters previously but not computers.  You said that such a
person would intuitively think that hitting a letter will put it
up on the page.  But you neglected to mention that that user
also would think that hitting 'space' over written text would
merely advance one column over (like vi does), not insert new
text or overwrite it with a blank.  You also didn't mention that
such a user would expect that if he hits 'return' on some already
written text, that he will merely advance one line down (like vi
does), not split the line at that point.  He would also expect
that the lowercase 'l' is the same thing as hitting the digit '1'.
He would also expect that hitting a 'c', a backspace, then a '/'
will generate a cent-sign.  Text editors aren't intuitive at all
to someone who's never used one.  The arrow keys and the hjkl keys
are both just as unintuitive (why is the down-arrow in-line with
the right and left arrows?)

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 8 Dec 2000 23:50:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Mading wrote:
:>
:> Actually, I would say that that sort of power switch is highly
:> unintuitive.  Intuitively, you'd expect that turning something
:> off would, you know, actually turn it off.
:
: California is having power problems right now because of this problem.
: It applies not only to VCRs but to TV sets, computers, and many other
: new pieces of electronic equipment. The HDTV I worked on pulled over 10
: amps when the power switch was in the "off" position.

That is one of my pet peeves with that kind of equipment.  They leave
a lot of stuff powered up just so that they can detect when someone
hits the 'power' button on a remote control.  What a fscking waste.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 8 Dec 2000 23:55:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Steve Mading writes:

:>> Not exactly uncommon.  When my VCR is "off", it's still on by
:>> enough to keep a clock running and monitor its programming to
:>> determine whether to turn "on" (or should I say "more on") and
:>> record a program.  Doesn't make the power switch any less
:>> intuitive.

:> Actually, I would say that that sort of power switch is highly
:> unintuitive.  Intuitively, you'd expect that turning something
:> off would, you know, actually turn it off.

: Depends on what you consider "off" to be.  When you turn your
: microwave oven off, do you expect it to lose the time?  (Yes,
: that does presuppose an oven with a clock on the display.
: Are there any new models that don't have one of those built in?)

I haven't seen any microwaves with an on/off button lately.
If they had them, then yeah, I'd expect them to at least turn
the display off, and go down to a trickle that only serves
to maintain a few K of RAM (for the clock and maybe some programs)
(which takes very little power, as evidenced by calculators and
watches, and could be done by battery like it is for CMOS
settings on computers.)

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 8 Dec 2000 23:57:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Steve Mading writes:
:> Yeah, and 'vim' is highly intuative when compared to other vi
:> clones.  It's the same thing.

: Thus doesn't count.

Why not?  It's the same as saying that power cords are similar to
power cords.  I think this demonstrates my point quite well.
Define the boundries where you want, and anything you want can
seem intiutive.  It's all so relative as to be useless.

:> If you get to define the boundry
:> wherever you like, you can make anything look intuitive or
:> unituitive, as needed to suit your argument, by just shifting
:> the boundry around.

: The key word here is "if".

Which you *have* been doing.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:17:16 +0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:07:13 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said Stephen Cornell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 21 Nov 2000 12:46:38
>>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> This annoys me.  One of my most common paste operations is to copy some
>>> text, highlight some other text and paste, deleting the text in the second
>>> document and replacing it with the pasted text.  Can't do that.

>>Rather a contorted way of doing things, don't you think?  Surely the
>>intuitive way of doing things is to delete the text you don't want, go
>>find the text you do, and then paste it in?  Or, paste in the text you
>>do want, then select and delete the text you don't?  This idea of
>>exchanging bits of text requires a rather higher level of abstraction,
>>and appears somewhat prone to errors.

>But it is, nevertheless, quite consistent in terms of selection
>handling, as "input replaces selection" is behavior that cannot be
>implemented the way Erik is used to using here.  Personally, I have
>mixed feelings on this; I also find the fact that you cannot paste to a
>selection, replacing the text, to be a bit disconcerting, since I use
>the same technique Erik describes quite routinely, and it is indeed more
>efficient.

But would it work if I, say, wanted a piece of text on the clipboard,
and to be able to use it again and again, whilst in between
highlighting and deleting bits of text?

When I'm typing my news, I (used to) have my sig in the clipboard,
then just use Ctrl+V to paste it in. Any highlighting in between would
not affect the sig.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:17:17 +0200

On 8 Dec 2000 22:56:18 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>: I was just as serious as Steve, who claimed that you didn't have to
>: move your whole arm to hit Esc.
>
>Bullshit.  I *was* serious.  What, do you have like 1-inch fingers?

No, he's got a 1" something else...

>Hitting escape merely requires a small wrist and hand strectch,

But it can be an inconvenience, especially if you lose your place at
the home row.

>not a whole arm-swing.  If it does require any arm motion for those
>with shorter fingers, it's only going to need about 1/2 an inch or
>so - not enough to lose track of the home row.

But it does slow you down somewhat having to move half your hand and
wrist.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:17:18 +0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:27:46 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>JM writes:

>>> My keyboard has its cursor keys on the right, at about the same
>>> distance from the home row as the Esc key.

>> What? Is your keyboard made out of foil or something?

>Illogical.  What does foil have to do with anything?

"Illogical"? Are you some fucking star-trek freak or something? As for
mentioning foil: what would you use if referring to a keyboard where
the keys can move about?

>> The escape key's usually near the "1" key,

>On the contrary, it's by the F1 key.  The tilde is next to the "1" key.

I said "near", not "next".

>> but the cursor keys are miles away.

>Mighty big keyboard you have there.

Well where are YOUR cursor keys then?

>>> Those letters aren't on the home row.

>> They are if you've been painting new letters on people's keyboards to
>> confuse them!

>Is that something you do?

Often. It's almost as fun as putting broken glass shards in the local
swimming pool. In the shallow end!

>Any relation to "Moul"?

What????

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need to open 100 windows
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:17:19 +0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:03:35 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>>
>> Hi, trying to open 90-100 internet explorer windows and still be able to
>> copy and paste to them off notepad.  I am using NT4, dell pIII 500 with 384
>> megs of sdram with eccI even upgraded to a pIII 850 with 512 megs of sdram
>> with ecc and didn't notice much difference if any.
>> I can get about 50 windows open (internet explorer) and can still copy and
>> paste from notepad in to them. After that, I can open a couple more windows,
>> but can't copy off notepad let alone paste. Any idea's would be appreciated.
>> Do you think if I used unix os it would help alot?
>
>Yes.  All you have to do is give it enough virtual mem (by way
>of swap space.)
>
>512 MB of SDRAM + 8 128 MB swap partitions = 1536 MB of virtual mem.

And I survive on 28!.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:17:23 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:40:06 GMT,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Look, I don't know what you're on, or what your problem is. No one is
>telling anyone what to do.
>
>All I'm saying is, if you want to do high end graphics and need the
>advanced graphic technologies like color correction, Linux is not the choice
>for you. Period. I'm sorry you have to face this fact, but it's the truth.
>
>If you like Linux, great, if you don't, who cares. If you want to do graphics,
>than Linux isn't the best OS. If you want the best OS for this, then something
>else would be in order.
>
>What's so bad about the truth?

Well I'll tell you...

What's bad about your TRUTH is it's bullshit.
Linux is a better graphics station.  The proof can
be found in many places but the one I like the best
is the FACT the movie Titanic was made using Linux.

If you examine Hollywood at large, very little in the
way of the graphic arts are performed with Windows.
They mainly use FreeBSD, Linux and Macs but
Windows is hardly used there.  This is also
true of commercial advertising.

Now your 'OPINION' may be that Windows is the
way to go but in 'REALITY' it's not the way
anybody is going.

>Try pulling you head from the sand once in awhile and looking around.
>
>-Chad

I rest my case!  You are the Frank Burns of the internet.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 9 Dec 2000 00:15:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Steve Mading writes:

:>> Actually, the first thing to learn is how to exit the editor,
:>> hence the ZZ.

:> I'd been using vi for 1 month before I ever heard of that command,
:> and I still never use it.  It is not the first command you have to
:> learn.  Learning it as ":wq" is much better, as this is consistent
:> with the other types of quitting commands.

: The point is that you need to learn how to exit the editor before
: other less basic commands.  The actuall keystrokes used are irrelevant.

But YOU were the one talking about how inconsistent the quitting
command "ZZ" is (eariler).  I'm saying that it doesn't have to be
taught that way, and in my case it wasn't.

:> ZZ was just a quick shortcut mapping to the 'real' command.

: Why do you suppose it was added?

Dunno - I don't use it or find it convienient.

:>>> Hit escape if you aren't sure.  Now you are.

:>> So much for efficiency.

:> It takes roughly zero time to do that, and you only do it if
:> something distracted you long enough to forget where you are.

: Such distractions happen rather often.

So?  Regardless of how often they happen, they constitute a
mental break in concentration, and as such the extra 'esc' hit
is irrelevant to the speed of operation.  Whatever it was that
caused the distraction (phone rings, lose train of thought,
brain fart, whatever) is going to be vastly more of a factor.

:>>> It is consistent with being the end of the type of motion command
:>>> you gave.

:>> Do you consider d to be a "motion command"?

:> '$' is the motion command, not 'd'.

: But you called it "the end of the type of motion command you gave".

*I* didn't call it anything - pay attention to the attributions.

:> That's the way the other ones work:
:> d {motion command} (delete from cursor to the moved-to-spot)
:> y {motion command} (yank from cursor to the moved-to-spot)
:> > {motion command} (indent block from cursor to moved-to-line)
:> < {motion command} (outdent block from cursor to moved-to-line)
:> v {motion command} (visually select from cursor to moved-to-spot)
:> ....etc...  (the last one (v) didn't exist in the original vi, but
:> exists in all the new incarnations of it)

: Doesn't specify whether $ is the end of line or the end of file.

It's always end-of-line everywhere except where it's being used
in a place where you would normally put a line number.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 9 Dec 2000 00:17:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: Why?  Suppose you get off an airplane in a country that uses a
: language that you don't understand, and you've never been there
: before.  Sign A has a word on it in that unfamiliar language
: while Sign B has nothing but an arrow on it.  Now can you fathom
: the concept?

Silly me, I thought I was talking about text editors, not signs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:20:55 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:10:15 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snips]
>
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> I read these kinds of contests every day and I wonder why people
>> are stupid enough to have them?
>
>Dunno... but you proceeded to start one anyway, didn't you?

This is the answer to my posting?

You don't get brownie points here for being an asshole
unless you have a point to make.

Where's YOUR point?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF!
Date: 9 Dec 2000 00:26:07 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Where do you get the executable images?

The website I just mentioned, www.lemon64.com, has lots,
including Impossible Mission.

The way it works is this:  There's a file format called
"d64" - it's a bitwise copy of the contents of a 1541
diskette.  The various emulator programs out there have a
menu option for "attach file to disk drive 8" or something
like that - this opens a file browser window where you pick
one of these d64 files.  When you do that, the emulator acts
like you've inserted the 'disk' in the 'drive', and you can
now issue the good ole LOAD "*",8,1 command.

These sites have many of these d64 files for download.  I'm
not sure of the legality of it, but I don't care since its
not as if I'm ever going to be able to buy these things
legitimately anymore from the companies that made them.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just in case anybody is wondering about reliability
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:30:59 -0500

SwifT - wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > So, in other words, Lose2K *MIGHT* be ready for primetime 3rd quarter, 2002.
>
> LOL ;-)
>
> I think 3rd quarter 2001 is more realistic...

...don't count on it.

by 3Q, 2002, I was being charitable.

Microsoft isn't going to produce good code until they're on the ropes...
which by then, will be toooooooo late.

Serves 'em right.

> unless something "bad" (hehe) occurs to MS.
>
> --
>  SwifT

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does KDE do after all
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:31:44 -0500

SwifT - wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Anonymous wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if I want to jump into another discussion about sockets,
> > seeing how silly the last one made me look, but I have to point out that
> > your logic is inverted.  Socket's can't be *better* than pipes, if IPC
> > sockets reduce to pipes.  Sockets certainly can be worse.  The weak link
> > in the chain, and all, and there's no reason to believe that pipes would
> > be that weak link.
>
> Everyone can change there opinion (I had to read some webpages and manuals
> before i posted any futher) but mine didn't. I mean that, if sockets relie
> on pipes, they are certainly equal. And if sockets can do 1 thing more,
> than they are better (since they supply a new service unknown to pipes).
> And they certainly do support more things (otherwise there would be no
> logic in creating sockets).
>
> I'm not sure, but doesn't sockets also handle datagrams (while pipes only
> use streams)?

If it's a datagram socket, yes.

> --
>  SwifT

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:41:22 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:42:53 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> come on Pete, don't hassle tapes :) I have a 50gig ADR Tape drive to
>store all my MP3's, videos,
>> and downloads (which can be randomly accessed).
>
>Just a playful swipe you understand 8).
>
>> KDE2 is not as buggy as GNOME, however, stability could be improved.
>> Apart from that little gripe, KDE2 is pretty good.
>
>My god, if KDE2 is not as buggy as GNOME, and after what I've seen with
>KDE2, what does that make GNOME?
>
>--
>---
>Pete

Gnome is more stable than KDE2 at the moment.

But a year or more ago, gnome was less stable than kde.

I'm running GNOME now and it's very, very good.
And I like it better than KDE2.  It offeres more.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:43:45 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:54:45 -0600, B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Linux is a replacement for Netware in your dreams.

Well, something is replacing Netware.  It'll soon be only found in
people's dreams.

>It is basically acceptable as a server platform but beyond its circle
>of devotees (and dolts who who can do no better than parrot slashdot)
>it has no mindshare.

No mindshare?  Linux?  You gotta be kidding me.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:43:46 GMT

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:25:59 +0900, news <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>While working on a project ( which I thought to be quite small ) I have
>received this message:
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Your program has a bug in it.  It tried to access memory it hadn't
allocated.  Probably an unitialized pointer or an out-of-bounds array
index if this is a C or C++ program.

If you run it under the debugger it'll tell you where the fault
occured.

And you probably want to take further questions of this kind to
comp.os.linux.development.apps or somewhere like that.  Advocacy groups
are for flamewars.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:45:54 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Where do you get the executable images?
>
> The website I just mentioned, www.lemon64.com, has lots,
> including Impossible Mission.
>
> The way it works is this:  There's a file format called
> "d64" - it's a bitwise copy of the contents of a 1541
> diskette.  The various emulator programs out there have a
> menu option for "attach file to disk drive 8" or something
> like that - this opens a file browser window where you pick
> one of these d64 files.  When you do that, the emulator acts
> like you've inserted the 'disk' in the 'drive', and you can
> now issue the good ole LOAD "*",8,1 command.
>
> These sites have many of these d64 files for download.  I'm
> not sure of the legality of it, but I don't care since its
> not as if I'm ever going to be able to buy these things
> legitimately anymore from the companies that made them.

True.  Try getting a C=1541 formatted diskette to be
read by ANY modern hardware.....ACK!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:48:52 GMT

Redhat is shit (I have used 6.2), Caldera, great for beginners and
business, but very little in the way of configuring devices/apps,
Slackware, a cheaply thrown together collection of apps, Mandrake 7.1
(which was free), I liked it because of the ReiserFS support however,
software was limited, which then leaves SuSE Linux.  I have used version
6.0, and yes, it is easy to use and upgrade, I have since upgraded to
SuSE Linux 7.0 Pro, and it is a marked improvement over previous releases.

apology accepted :)

kiwiunixman