Linux-Advocacy Digest #752, Volume #34           Thu, 24 May 01 15:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Intermediate user who left Windows for Linux (Techno Barbie)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("Ayende
Rahien")
  Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x.... (Michael Marion)
  Re: The nature of competition (Michael Marion)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The nature of competition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: errunt r kookla kicked out of college for cheating is now a medical expert
(Aaron Hirshberg)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("Mart van
de Wege")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("Chad
Myers")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("Chad
Myers")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("Mart van
de Wege")
  Re: Win 9x is horrid (chrisv)
  Re: The nature of competition (Michael Marion)

From: Techno Barbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED] (It's Fake)>
Subject: Re: Intermediate user who left Windows for Linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:13:46 GMT

G. Woods wrote:

> I find alot of the anti-piracy solutions interfere with what I am trying
> to do.  Meaning, if I installed the product I shouldn't have to be looking
> for the installation media to run it.

I agree. About five years ago I purchased an Acer computer (don't laugh)
which came with a specialized Windows CD (I don't know the proper term).
The original hard drive died after a few years (out of warranty) and I
purchased a new (larger) hard drive. When I tried to use the specialized
Windows CD on the new hard drive it would not work. Customer support stated
that it would only run on that hard drive. I caught their drift, and bought
another hard drive that was the same as the original size and it worked.
Why this was a big secret I don't know. Anyway it makes me wonder what
these companies are thinking - hard drives fail and people buy new
computers. If I were illegally using this Word CD, it would not have ticked
me off so much. Anyway . . . .

Techno Barbie

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:11:37 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ej9ba$4vd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I wouldn't say so. The problem is that the ones that you *meet* are the
> > ones that are like that. Hell, I know of someone that *reinstalled* the
> > OS just because he accidently activated the history side bar on IE, and
> > didn't know how to turn that off.
>
> The mind boggles. If he could figure out the whole reinstalling thing,
> one wonders why on earth he didn't figure out how to turn it off.

On, reinstalling is quite easy.
You shove the CD in the drive, and then you click keep clicking next.

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,staroffice.com.support.install.solaris,comp.unix.advocacy,alt.os.unix,alt.unix
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x....
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:24:12 GMT

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> That's just my department.  Campus is (probably) 50 or so networked
> buildings (assuming the car parking isn't fitted with ethernet :^) but
> the official campus map (http://www.man.ac.uk/welcome/campus1.html) is
> not the easiest way to work this out.  (You can't actually tell from
> the map what are separate buildings; my office is in #38 and that
> building is completely separate from #37 and #40 apart from walkways.)

Damn.. we don't have any maps on our external sites.. at least not one I could
find.  The fun part of our network is the distances and right of ways required
to network buildings together.  Tearing up city streets to run fiber doesn't
make friends. :)

> So?  I run apps on servers 8 timezones away (I've never had a compelling
> reason to use systems in New Zealand, so it's quite possible you could
> beat that. :^)  SSH is one of life's little luxuries...

We have offices all over the world, but I don't ever touch machines that far
away.  Been on a few in Isreal before, but I think that's the farthest from
here that I've logged into.

BTW, I completely agree about ssh.  We're pushing to try to get rid of
rsh/telnet altogether (even inside the corporate net) because there's just no
reason to use them.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
"One World. One Web. One Program."   -- Microsoft hype

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The nature of competition
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:27:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The worst thing I have found about *nix sysadmins is that they haven't
> a clue about anything that has to do with hardware. Totally clueless.

Man.. you're running in the wrong circles.  I'm up to my elbows in hardware
(one way or another) almost every day.  I know Suns and PC really well, and
HPs a little.  I've even worked with all kinds of specialty stuff.. NetApss,
Auspex, different hardware RAID arrays from Sun and MTI, etc.  Just about
every other admin here has damn good hardware experience too... but there are
a few that we try to keep away, otherwise problems develop. :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:43:27 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 18:35:00 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Sorry flatty,
>
>Those are functions of the driver, not of the mouse itself.
Duhhhh...
Obviously or it work under Linux as well.
That was my point.

> As for me, I
>have a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse, and it performs your second example
>perfectly fine, ie I can scroll a window without first activating it, and
>it works in almost all applications (the ones that don't I have to hover
>the cursor over a scrollbar).
>The other examples I don't need, nor do I particularly miss them, but I
>imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hack them into the X Input drivers.

Typical Linux, there is always "something" extra that needs to be done
in order to fully utilize a piece of hardware.

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:51:36 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 17:27:00 GMT, Michael Marion
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Man.. you're running in the wrong circles.  I'm up to my elbows in hardware
>(one way or another) almost every day.  I know Suns and PC really well, and
>HPs a little.  I've even worked with all kinds of specialty stuff.. NetApss,
>Auspex, different hardware RAID arrays from Sun and MTI, etc.  Just about
>every other admin here has damn good hardware experience too... but there are
>a few that we try to keep away, otherwise problems develop. :)

Quite possibly, but I just ran into a Sun sysadmin the other day.
Other than the fact she spoke very little english (Korean I believe)
and had the personality of a robot, she didn't know her way around a
SCSI cable and smashed 64 pins worth to bits. She kept pointing to a
picture in the book which showed how to connect the cable, and it was
upside down (incorrect), but that didn't stop her. Any idiot could see
the cable was keyed and would only go in one way, but not her. She
followed that book like it was the Bible or something. I see this
frequently in the *nix world for some reason. She could bang out
commands like crazy though.

Ahhh the joys of H1B.....

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:52:44 -0500

"Michael Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>
> > OTOH, Netscape 4.7x crashes regularly and now, I can't even get it
> > to start up, it just core dumps.
>
> Hmm.. it's rock solid for me.
>
> > Netscape 6 requires practically reinstalling the OS, but it seems to
> > fair a little better. Of course it's a usability and functionality
> > nightmare and the news reader is a complete pile of ****.
>
> I only had to install 1 patch for NS6.. hardly reinstalling the OS.

It was over 50 for me.

> It actually works ok for me here.. been running it for a few hours now, but
> the newsreader is definately slower then 4.7x, so I'm sticking to it for news
> for now (plus I have my NGs all picked, cached and caught up to where I am).

It wouldn't even let me cross post. It kept saying "Cannot post to multiple
news servers" which was BS because I was only connected to one.

> > Hmm, I'm on my second Solaris 7 install on this box, and both times I've
> > had the exact same experience. Netscape seems to fall apart after only
> > a few uses until it no longer runs at all.
>
> Funny, win advocate always claim that people reinstall windows when they don't
> need to.. the only time I've _ever_ had to reinstall solaris was either due to
> a hardware failure, or due to wanting to completely redo my disk slicing.

It was an expression. I didn't actually have to reinstall it, but I had to
install so many patches (BTW, pkgadd sucks. Half the packages didn't install
correctly because they had dependencies that pkgadd couldn't figure out. When
I reboot the machine will probably be dead) it felt like I was reinstalling
the OS.

[snip: more about reinstalling, addressed above]

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Hirshberg)
Subject: Re: errunt r kookla kicked out of college for cheating is now a medical expert
Date: 24 May 2001 10:56:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Errunt R Kookla wrote:
>
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> No, it doesn't.  Sex is how AIDS is transmitted,

You guys are too simplistic.  AIDS is transmitted when blood or blood
products that contain HIV travel from the infected host to the
bloodstream of the uninfected host.  This can happen when a person
gets a blood transfusion, or uses an HIV contaminated IV needle.

As for the sexual transmission of HIV, the virus can be transmitted
via unprotected homosexual or heterosexual sex acts.  The fact that so
many homosexual men got HIV from unprotected sex might be just because
they used to be so much more sexually active.

Aaron Hirshberg

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:03:57 +0200
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 18:35:00 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> As for me, I
>>have a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse, and it performs your second example
>>perfectly fine, ie I can scroll a window without first activating it,
>>and it works in almost all applications (the ones that don't I have to
>>hover the cursor over a scrollbar).
>>The other examples I don't need, nor do I particularly miss them, but I
>>imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hack them into the X Input drivers.
>
> Typical Linux, there is always "something" extra that needs to be done
> in order to fully utilize a piece of hardware.
>

> flatfish++++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

That was the point flatty. The *hardware* is fully supported, the most
important *extra* functionality is in the driver. Obviously there is not
enough demand with Linux users to add the rest of the features you want,
otherwise someone would have added them to the X Input drivers a long
time ago.

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:18:03 -0500

"Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 May 2001 18:35:00 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> As for me, I
> >>have a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse, and it performs your second example
> >>perfectly fine, ie I can scroll a window without first activating it,
> >>and it works in almost all applications (the ones that don't I have to
> >>hover the cursor over a scrollbar).
> >>The other examples I don't need, nor do I particularly miss them, but I
> >>imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hack them into the X Input drivers.
> >
> > Typical Linux, there is always "something" extra that needs to be done
> > in order to fully utilize a piece of hardware.
> >

> > flatfish++++
> > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>
> That was the point flatty. The *hardware* is fully supported, the most
> important *extra* functionality is in the driver. Obviously there is not
> enough demand with Linux users to add the rest of the features you want,
> otherwise someone would have added them to the X Input drivers a long
> time ago.

Or they've just got used to having sub-standard support for their hardware,
they don't care.

-c

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:02:19 +0000

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Daniel Johnson wrote:
>> Windows 3.1 _did_ refuse to run on top of DR-DOS 6.0, and I can prove it.
>> It required a patch disc from Digital Research to fix it. The patch made
>> some trivial changes to a couple of files of DR-DOS.
>>
>> I have retail copies of Windows 3.1, DR-DOS 6.0 and the patch disc to
> prove
>> my case.
>
> I suspect you are thinking of a separate issue;
> because of bugs in DR-DOS, Windows 3.1
> would not run in standard mode; but it would
> run in enhanced mode, if you have a 386.

I had a 386; Windows would not even install properly on top of DR-DOS.

> There was never a patch to defeat the AARD
> thing, so I do not think you can be
> dealing with same issue.

My point is that Microsoft did some curious things to Windows when going
from 3.0 to 3.1 to make sure DR-DOS would not run 3.1 properly.

As I pointed out, I still have all the original copies (OK, the patch disc
was a download, so it can not technically be determined as 'original') and
I have recently tried them out (after Erik F. made the same claim as you):
Windows 3.1 will not run or even install on top of DR-DOS 6.0 without
applying a patch to DR-DOS; not on a 386, not on a 486sx and not on a
Pentium 60. The patch disc contains some really trivial changes (most of
them headers, I was told) to avoid those silly error messages.

One patch was non-trivial, related to SuperStor (the disk compression
program that came with DR-DOS), but as I never used it anyway, it was an
academic point to me.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
Has anybody ever wondered why Microsoft launched Windows 95
with a song that contains the line: "You make a grown man cry"?

Oh, wait...

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:27:24 +0000

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> GreyCloud wrote:
>>
>> > Much better argument.  How many intelligent life forms could survive
>> > long enough to generate strong enough EM waves to be detected here?
>> > Don't know.  But then SETI presumes that ET uses EM waves.  Could it
>> > not be possible to use another form of communications other than EM
>> > waves? Don't know, but I don't think it is impossible either.
>> > I believe that there are intelligent life forms out on other planets,
>> > but it is US that cannot find out if they exist.  Especially if these
>> > life forms are in a "dark ages" like we used to be in.
>> >

>> I am quite sure that, if there were indeed advanced civilisations 'out
>> there', they would most likely have come up with much more efficient ways
>> of communicating over interstellar distances. Gravitational waves spring
>> mind, or zero-point energy modulation, or magic...
>>
>> Nevertheless, EM radiation is easy to detect by retards like us and can
>> be generated relatively cheaply. Any civilisation that wanted to make its
>> existence known to the rest of the universe could do a lot worse than
>> choose EM radiation.
>>
>> And finally, we only have the scientific background to search for EM
>> radiation, so ...
>
> The other question is, of course, do they *want* to be found?
> It doesn't take a lot of thinking to understand that there is a good
> chance that they don't.
> Brin's Earth is a story about ETs finding humanity.
>
> Paranoia is a survival trait, after all.

Scientific curiosity might very well be a 'survival trait' to advanced
civilisations. Even stupid us have already sent messages to hypothetical
aliens.

If there are 'others', it will only take one social deviant with a
high-power radio transmitter (Who knows, they may come free with the local
equivalent of breakfast cereal) to break an entire civilisation's
self-pronounced quarantaine.

> It would be intellectually nice to know that we aren't alone in the
> universe, would it be practically wise?

As with everything else we discover, we'll know afterwards.

(As a sidenote, the last words uttered in the Universe might very well turn
out to be: "I wonder what'll happen if I push this button?"; possibly
followed by a short and abruptly broken off "Aaarrggh-")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:38:07 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:03:57 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>That was the point flatty. The *hardware* is fully supported, the most
>important *extra* functionality is in the driver. Obviously there is not
>enough demand with Linux users to add the rest of the features you want,
>otherwise someone would have added them to the X Input drivers a long
>time ago.

The word "supported" takes on a completely different meaning when used
in the same sentence as the word Linux.

The end user doesn't give a hoot if it is the solar eclipse that makes
it function, he paid for features and they should work. Driver,
hardware whatever.

If you read the side of the box it will tell you all of these
wonderful things that can be done with your new HARDWARE mouse. If you
use Windows, you are able to take advantage of these features. If you
use Linux....well.....

It's amazing how much you Linvocates must sacrafice in order to use a
supposedly superior operating system.
Amazing...

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:47:16 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:03:57 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >That was the point flatty. The *hardware* is fully supported, the most
> >important *extra* functionality is in the driver. Obviously there is not
> >enough demand with Linux users to add the rest of the features you want,
> >otherwise someone would have added them to the X Input drivers a long
> >time ago.
>
> The word "supported" takes on a completely different meaning when used
> in the same sentence as the word Linux.
>
> The end user doesn't give a hoot if it is the solar eclipse that makes
> it function, he paid for features and they should work. Driver,
> hardware whatever.
>
> If you read the side of the box it will tell you all of these
> wonderful things that can be done with your new HARDWARE mouse. If you
> use Windows, you are able to take advantage of these features. If you
> use Linux....well.....
>
> It's amazing how much you Linvocates must sacrafice in order to use a
> supposedly superior operating system.
> Amazing...

I believe the word is "martyr". Just like McVeigh is considered
a martyr in the black-heliocopter crowed, except without all the
dead people and it involves an OS, not Government repression.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:54:33 +0200
Crossposted-To:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's amazing how much you Linvocates must sacrafice in order to use a
> supposedly superior operating system. Amazing...
>
> flatfish++++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

You just don't get it, do you (and neither does Chad)? It's not a
*sacrifice*. In the Linux world, software gets written because there is a
*demand* for a functionality. If some functionality is not there it means
that either not enough people are interested, or that it is not
implemented yet (and then it is generally mentioned in the TODO file).
That's all there is to it. There is no marketing department that tries to
sell us features. You will get some cognitive dissonance when you buy
products that are targeted at Windows users. These are generally heavily
marketed and full of promises regarding features. That these features are
generally just fluff and chrome and often not even do what is promised is
immaterial, you didn't ask for them, they are being marketed to you.
It's just two different worlds flatty, don't sweat it too much, but *do*
try and see things from our perspective.

Mart

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 9x is horrid
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:00:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger) wrote:

>chrisv ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: >The problem Microsoft has is that they are an operating system company
>: >in an era where the operating system is becomming a ubiquitous item.
>: >In a few years people aren't going to care what OS is installed;
>: >they'll all come with every basic tool you need (internet,
>: >word processor, spreadsheet, audio/video tools, etc.).  Microsoft's
>: >offering will be just another face in the crowd -- the real money will
>: >be made on hardware.
>
>: You are joking, right?  Hardware, whether it's a cell phone, a
>: satellite receiver, or a computer, is something that is GIVEN AWAY so
>: that you can sell software and services!
>
>Show me where I can get a free computer if I buy windows.

Ever heard of freepc.com?  They gave you a FREE PC if you watched
their silly advertisements will computing.  I think they went under,
but it would be naive to think that somebody else won't try a similar
business model in the future.

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:03:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> followed that book like it was the Bible or something. I see this
> frequently in the *nix world for some reason. She could bang out

Actually, I see this on both sides.. Win and Unix admins.  They look really
good on paper, but when you actually see them perform (or just interview them)
they don't have a clue.

It might be that we're just different here in that most admins also do
hardware work, and perhaps many companies have admins that never touch the
hardware.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
Q: Where would Microsoft take you today?  A: Confutatis maledictis,