From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:27:46 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8opaus$ndc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8op91m$qld$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > No, I'm talking about evidence such as:
> Yup, thought you wouldn't mention the "doctored" evidence ;-)
> (I still can't believe they did that)

If you read the actual transcript, you'll find that evidence wasn't
"doctored", it was edited (in order to get the tests done in time, they used
multiple machines and edited the footage together).  Microsoft proved to the
judges satisfaction that the evidence was correct, even if the video tape
was less than convincing.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:29:49 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ookl9$97v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > We're talking about consistency within ONE implementation.  The Windows
> > Explorer.  Not other implementations.
>
> Except that you were discounting X icons from being icons.

No I wasn't.  I said that in Windows implementation, they wouldn't be icons.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:28:52 +1000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8opga2$j0d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8opf3o$45q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8opeji$jrv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8opag1$umt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> gesture
> > > at
> > own
> > >
> > > How about what was standard in the industry before?
> > >

> > Which was ?
>
> The software vendor/developer would keep a record of the registered users,
> contact them when a new version is about to come out and offer them the
> purchase of the next version as a deep discount.  The version shipped
would
> be that same as the retail version that any new user or unregistered user
> would purchase at full retail.  That was the standard for the industry,
and
> was Microsoft's practice as well.

Ignoring the privacy issues of software manufacturers having every one of
their customers on file, the sheer volume involved would be incredibly
wasteful of time and resources, not to mention a managerial nightmare.

Does anyone with significant customer volume still do this ?

In any event, "upgrade" versions are the same, functionally, as full retail
versions - they just require you to prove you actually own the software
they're upgrading.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
platform
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:34:05 -0500

"sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <JZLr5.8433$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > No, it should not be possible to do that if the app is minimized.
Dropping
> > a file into a running copy of word does not open it, it embeds it at the
> > drop point.  Where would word embed the document if you were allowed to
do
> > what you suggest?
>
> What do you mean, "embed"?

You know, OLE.. Object Linking and *EMBEDDING*.  It embeds a stream of one
document within the stream of another in a manner in wich both streams are
still seperate, but contained in the same document.

> > > And I've found another inconsistency. You can't DnD on to task
manager.
> > > At least, not in win95.
> > Which OS allows you to DnD onto the Task manager (or similar app)?
>
> If "DnD" means Drag-n-Drop, MacOS does. It's built-in task manager allows
for
> documents to be dragged and opened in a running application.

You can drag a document onto the little Task Icon in the upper right corner
of the menu bar?

> > > They're still repersented as buttons, only less useful (see above).
> > That depends on the OS.  NT displays tasks in a list.
>
> Yeah, well, and as buttons.

Not in the task manager.

> > The start button is not part of the task bar.  They are two seperate
pieces
> > of functionality.
>
> Yes, well... They are part of the same thing, right? As both are a part of
> explorer.exe? The "Home" button in Netscpae is a part of the toolbar in
> Netscape even if they are two seperate pieces of functionality :)

No.  that's like saying the apple menu is the same thing as finder.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Popular Culture (was: It's official...)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:15:01 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>>>Sounds like you and I would get along well in that respect.  I never
>>>fit into any 'demographic' growing up.  I listened to heavy metal, but
>>>didn't fit with the metal-heads 'cause I was too 'geeky', didn't fit
>>>with the geeks 'cause I played guitar, didn't fit with the people that
>>>played guitar 'cause I didn't smoke or drug myself up, didn't fit with
>>>the . . . .
>>>

>>Interesting - all much the same - except I play the piano not the
>>guitar :) (I was a major Queen fan).
>
>Actually i went through a lot (I mean A LOT) of musical
>instruments before I 'settled' on guitar.  A short list:
>Violin (which stemmed into Viola and Cello), upright Bass,
>Electric Bass, Guitar, Piano, Harmonica (OK, some would
>say that doesn't count), Saxophone, Flute, and Drums.

Yeah, that's a lot!  A confess to playing (badly) the violin
for several years (kind of school thing) and the Clarinet for
a shorter period.  Wasn't really very good at either.  Wasn't
the harmonica one of John Lennon's instruments? (I can feel
a flame war starting from that... at least maybe in some other
group, anyway).

>I'm sure there were some others during my 'experimental'
>years (I just experimented with musical instruments
>instead of drugs, and probably spent just as much money as
>the junkies did:-).

Can't remember that far back, no idea how much I spent ;)

>Lately I've been getting back into the violin (still
>fairly portable) and occassionally pounding the keys
>(I have a piano my great grandma gave me when I was young
>that was manufactured in the late 1800's).  I enjoyed
>Queen a little, and I really like bands that mix styles
>(Trans Siberian Orchestra is one of my favs at the moment).

A geniune late 1800s piano should be something of a museum
piece now, since manufacturing techniques have changed so
much in that time - do you get it tuned?  What does the
tuner think about it?

My first software project was doing fourier analysis of a
Steinway grand piano for a fourier-synthesis based electronic
keyboard - I became something of an expert on Piano harmonic
structures, even tempered scales, key-thump sound, and the
gradual 'sharpening' of taut-strung steel (which is why
guitars & violins sound so very different to pianos but not
so far away from eg., harpsichord).  Whole machine was
managed by a 6809, with a TTL 'copy' of a 6800 doing some
very clever parallel processing to create hundreds of tone
generators with individual ADSR curves - pretty good for the
early 80s.  Sorry - I'm rambling - but it was interesting
at the time.  Ahh, my favourite Flex commands spring to
mind - when creating new diskette (5" I recall), do copy
copy and then copy cat...

>>>I guess that's one of the reasons I levitated into the Linux/BSD/*nix
>>>arena so easily.  It wasn't unusual for me to think of things a little
>>>differently from the 'norm'.  It just fit me.
>>>

>>I've found over the years it's largely advantageous to be able to see
>>things from a different/self-formed viewpoint.  Helps in all sorts of
>>ways.
>
>Yeah, it helps you to laugh at yourself when you realize
>you are taking something too seriously.  You see yourself
>acting like the morons that called you an 'outcast'
>growing up and think, "Whoah, ease up there pard."

Ah, indeed - much of the time!

>Of course, it also helps with a lot of other things, but
>that's one of my personal favorite things about it.
>Zealotry can only take you so far.

I'm beginning to think I'm getting to old for zealotry - is
there any truth in my feeling that zealots are typically
young?  (At least the non-biblical era ones, anyway).

--
Mark - remove any ham to reply.
"A compiler is a program that takes the pseudo-English gibberish produced

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Just converted
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:41:39 +0100

In article <R9pp5.7616$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8o4n6s$8h9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <hFkp5.7599$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>   "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > Telephone lines are simply not going to be accurate.  Two calls from
>> the
>> > same line can give vastly different performance on the same machine.
>> >

>> Uuuhh, mine's really consistent.  'Course I can throw rocks from the
>> back yard and hit the rooftops of both my ISP and the local telco CO.
>
>A place I lived at a few years ago was literally 3 doors down from the CO.
>Yet I couldn't get more than a 43k connect.  Distance doesn't mean much.
>Phone lines are simply not "precise".

I think you need to consider a better modem - were you using one
of the winmodems?

At that distance, there should be no issue with the hybrids being
unbalanced, no issues of 'transmission-line' behaviour which occurs
on the average length local loop.

Personally, I find that linux machines typically download far faster
than windows ones, even when going via the same router connected to the
same telephone line (ie., using the ethernet at home, so mtu/window
size is also not an issue)

Basically, the tcp/ip stack in win3.11, win95 and win98SE seems to
be appalling compared to the linux one in 2.0.x series kernels (
which are the one's I've been using).

I've also directly dialled using the win95 machine and it was no
better.

My feeling is that the problems with the win95/98 stack are at
the tcp layer (because of the above, of course).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Linux..a trip down memory lane..
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:54:10 +0100

In article <8oeq1s$ak5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe Kiser wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Use Linux?
>>
>> Yea sure, and I would love to drive that 1975 Chrysler you have sitting
>> in your garage.
>
>If Linux is a 1975 Chrysler, Windows is a piece-of-shit-engine tuperware
>framed Volkswagon Beetle.

oooohhh - careful - very technically advanced that air-cooled engine.
Did chrysler ever manage to produce one?

Perhaps Ford Pinto might have been a better target?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: NETCRAFT: I'm confused
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:26:07 +0100

In article <BsSq5.8086$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"sandrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <m%Fq5.8022$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > of

>> > MS's
>> > total
>> >
>> > But that's just it.  Apache's server count may *NOT* be growing faster
>> > (and probably isn't).  The Apache *HOSTED DOMAIN* count is growing
>> > faster.  That does not equote to the number of server installations
>> > (which would be the most equivelant "Ratio of sales of company product
>> > or product line to the total market sales for that product or product
>> > line."

>> > No.  Market share is the number of installed servers.  NOT the number of
>> > hosted domains.
>> >
>> > If I go out and register 1000 domains and point them all to the same
>> > site, that's not 1000 installations of Apache.  That's one installation
>> > with 999 aliases.
>>
>> Beans!  The netcraft numbers are as good as any one can get.  The numbers
>speak for themselves.
>
>Oh, of course.  Because reality does not come into play in a Linux advocates
>world.
>
>> How come when m$ pays or publishes numbers we are to take them as fact,
>but when
>> someone publishes numbers that show real world useage the wintrolls say
>they are not
>> representive of the true world and must be adjusted to show m$ is in the
>lead????
>
>If you're talking about mindcraft.

No, he wasn't.

> Everyone with any degree of objectivity
>admits that Linux did indeed have faults which were illustrated by the
>Mindcraft benchmark. Even Linus agreed.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kind of sums up the yawning gaps of culture between open-source and closed
souce software.  Why wouldn't he?

As I recall, Bill G has always denied that there have ever been any
'significant bugs which a significant number of users want fixed'.  Open
source software continues its cycle of permanent improvement, and will
continue to do so whether Microsoft pay Mindcraft to setup tests which
deliberately favour NT or not.  It is useful for Microsoft to contibute
so readily to the improvement of open-source software, of course.
Windows never has bugs, but seems to keep growing bug-fix packs - now
why would that be?

> They're mostly fixed now.  Why
>would you need to fix something if it wasn't broken?

Nothing is ever finished.  When's Win2k's next service pack due?

>> Get over it wintrolls Apache owns the web.
>
>Right.

Indeed.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: COMNA's favorite conspiracy theorist rides again...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:46:35 +0100

In article <39a3ceae$0$764$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris wrote:
>You are both as silly as one another.
>
>Chris
>
>Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8njkmq$7mp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk) wrote in
>> <8nihfl$hjq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >It isn't "conspiracy theory" to point out that some people
>> >have been spreading FUD and outright lies against Linux
>> >and in favor of Microsoft in Usenet and elsewhere.  These
>> >include both Erik Funkenbusch and Stephen Edwards.
>>
>> Oh, of course.  Yet, you have never once
>> pointed out when I posted these alleged
>> lies.  To you, a lie is merely something
>> you disagree with.
>>
>> >Funkenbusch provided a moment of hilarity when he opined
>> >that Microsoft left its bogus error message in a Windows
>> >beta, warning users not to use DR-DOS because... they just
>> >forgot to remove it!  Couldn't have been that they were
>> >spreading lies about a competitor's product in order to
>> >kill it.
>>
>> You mean you're still making a lot of piss over
>> the days of __DOS__?!  What the hell is your
>> problem?  Don't you have a life of any kind?!

Illegal activity is illegal whenever - it doesn't time-out
in some way like my work PC's Outlook client does.

The activity was an appalling behaviour which amongst other
things caused the end of a technically superior product.  This
is the exact behaviour of a monopolist.

It is p*ss poor.

Defending that demonstrates a weird (and probably paid-for)
allegiance to Microsoft in my view.

>> Jesus H. Christ Mark.  That was then.  This is
>> now.  Get over it already.  This is the year
>> 2000.  Yes, Microsoft has done some underhanded
>> things.

What does "underhanded" mean legally?  Microsoft have certainly
done lots of illegal things - a court found this to be so
in both the DRDOS case and more recently in others.

>> Just as have every single other large
>> corporation.  If you weren't such a brainless
>> dope-smoking hippie, you'd realize that.

No, my employer takes its responsibilities in the community
very seriously indeed.  It has a culture of competing very hard,
but it also takes note of the comments of regulators and competition
bodies and acts accordingly.  It also listens to its customers.
I think that might be because it is not a monopoly, unlike
microsoft, which (by UK definitions at least) is a monopoly and
acts like one.

>> What, do you still hold vendettas against kids
>> that pushed you over in the sandbox in 3rd grade
>> as well?

I don't recall that being illegal.

>> >And Edwards has crapped up the c.o.l.a newsgroup with many
>> >thousands of nasty, pointless, and in some cases lying
>> >articles against Linux (mostly last year), and has given
>> >as his reason simply that he had nothing better to do with
>> >his time.
>>
>> *LOL!@#*
>>
>> The only time I post to COLA is when some kooky little
>> worm like you posts his or her wankish viewpoints.
>>
>> >The reason I replied here to Funkenbusch, and mentioned that
>> >he's a long-time anti-Linux/pro-Microsoft propagandist, is
>> >that he's spreading lies about the KDE and Gnome development
>> >teams, and this would make people hesitate to use Linux, so
>> >they'd stay with Microsoft.
>> >
>> >He's trying to get readers to take his word for what he's
>> >saying, without any evidence whatsoever.  I pointed out
>> >that his history shows that he obviously has an axe to
>> >grind (whether Microsoft is paying him or not), and so
>> >his opinion is *not trustworthy*.
>> >
>> >Here's a list of most of the anti-Linux propagandists:
>> >
>> >Drestin Black, Chad Myers, Erik Funkenbusch, Stephen Edwards,
>> >Chad Mulligan/boobaabaa, Jeff Szarka, Robert Moir, Brent Davies,
>> >Steve Sheldon, Boris, ubercat/Odin, Xerophyte/Kelly_Robinson,
>> >Pete Goodwin, [EMAIL PROTECTED](newsguy.com),
>> >Cuor di Mela, etc.
>>
>> Ooh!  The list!  How incredibly clever!

I suspect it aligns well with a 'who do we pay' for troll & turf
 this week - a kind of Redmond Payroll?

>> Well, if I ever get a letter bomb in the mail,
>> and I survive the blast, I'll know who to blame.
>>
>> Mark, you are even more pathetic than Derek Currie.
>> I can't believe that you actually keep track of all
>> of those names.  You clearly have way too much time
>> on your hands.
>>
>> Tell you what.  Why don't you stop mooching off of
>> Mom and Dad, and go out and get yourself a job.  If
>> you're going to run an underground anti-conspiracy
>> network, you really shouldn't make your parents pay
>> for it.

Do Microsoft pay you to make personal attacks?

>> >Plus these names, which are all used by one person!
>> >
>> >Steve/Mike/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/"S"/Sponge/Syphon/
>> >"Sewer Rat"/Sarek/steveno/scummer/McSwain/Swango/piddy/
>> >pickle_pete/wazzoo/"leg log"/mike_hunt/Heather/Amy/claire_lynn/
>> >susie_wong/Ishmeal_hafizi/"Saul Goldblatt"/Proculous/
>> >Tiberious/Jerry_Butler/"Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/bison/Wobbles/
>> >screwbilk/deadpenguin/"%^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com"/
>> >The Cat (hepcat)[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)/etc.
>>
>> Assuming that you're correct (which you might be),
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What - a concession?

>> I'm certain that you've done exactly as they were
>> hoping... provide them with hours of entertainment
>> in watching you scream and bellyache like an idiot.
>>
>> >The rest of Stephen Edwards' article is his usual sneering
>> >crap.
>>
>> I only sneer at you, Mark.  It's just because
>> you're such a raging twit, that I simply cannot
>> resist dangling my taunts in front of you.
>>
>> Folks, even Mark's own fellow COLA inhabitants
>> have written him off as a looney.  However, Mark
>> has brought up something that has raised several
>> questions in me... he claims that I am getting
>> paid by Microsoft to push WindowsNT onto everyone.
>>
>> But what's pissing me off is that I haven't
>> received a single check in the mail!  I'm thinking
>> that I might file a lawsuit against Microsoft
>> for failing to adhere to the standard conspirator
>> code of ethics.  See you in court, Bill!  :-P

Of course, you might well have received any other kind
of benefit - this paragraph appears designed to mislead.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: refrigerator using Linux?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:59:50 +0100

In article <8nunei$9lc6v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nigel Feltham wrote:
>>No, it's simply that I want my fridge to keep my food at the correct
>temperature
>>all of the time 24x7x365.  I do not want to re-boot after installing
>oranges.
>

>Or a 'Green cheese of death' every 2 days.

Mwaaaaaaaaaahhhhh :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Ok, yeah, Visual Basic sucks, but...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:40:05 +0100

In article <8oeufu$h35$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Sorry, this is probably geared more towards the programmers in this
>newsgroup, but I have a question:
>
>They're making me take VB 6 as part of my studies at school. Me and one
>of the instructors were a little bored so we downloaded some sample VB
>code that sets up a server and client chat program.
>
>Took us about 15 minutes to get it working, and there was probably less
>than 100 lines of code (error handling included), and after a few
>minutes, we were already playing around with the data we were sending
>back and worth (not just text messages but modifications and function
>outputs using the text messages as input, etc.). Real easy stuff. The
>basis for the chat program is the use of the Microsoft Winsock control,
>which probably has its limitations etc. etc. but I had to say I was
>impressed with how quickly we could have started something big based on
>this one control.
>
>In my spare time I'm trying to learn GTK+ programming, and I was
>wondering if there was anything comparable to this sort of control
>available for Linux programmers? A bonobo component, maybe?
>
>Methods were: Accept, Bind, Close, Connect, GetData, Listen, PeekData,
>SendData
>
>Properties were: BytesReceived, Index, LocalHostName, LocalIP,
>LocalPort, Name, Object, Parent, Protocol, RemoteHostName, RemoteIP,
>RemotePort, SocketHandle, State, Tag
>
>Don't know if it inherits from a different class or anything like that.
>
>(ps: I know some of those properties wouldn't be present in a linux
>implementation, I just included them for the hell of it...)
>
>-ws
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

You could try wish - it works on win32 as well so you can write
net-capable babygrams which are OS non-specific, something you
obviously can't do with VB.

Have fun.