Linux-Advocacy Digest #909, Volume #28            Tue, 5 Sep 00 01:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How low can they go...? ("D'Arcy Smith")
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: How low can they go...? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (Courageous)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a  desktop
platform (D. Spider)
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:03:20 GMT

> Said D'Arcy Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> >prohibitive

> >I said it - doesn't mean that it reflects my views on it (hence my
original
> >disclaimer).  It is reality that you can license it - and thus it is
reality
> >that you could write DVD software regardless of the platform.

> >Remeber I originaly responded to somebody saying that it was illegal
> >to write DVD software on Linux (IIRC).

> Why are you so purposefully confounding the issue?

Sigh... if you actually paid attnetion to me sayint that my
original post did not reflect one way or the other my
opinions there... instead you made the assumption that I
was on a particular side of the issue.

> First you say "thus, it is reality you could write",

It is reality.

> and then you say you were responding to
> someone who said it was illegal to do so on a platform that didn't have
> such a license.

No.  Nothing was said about a license.  All that was said that it was
illegal
to write DVD software on (IIRC) Linux.  It is not illegal to
write such software - if you have a license.

Get it now?

> You're still not making any sense.

Because you aren't listening to what I am saying apparently.

> It is reality that you can write DVD software on linux whether you have
> a license or not;

Correct - but it is not legal if you do not have a license (apperently).

> everything else you may be saying is dubious, I think,
> until you can explain yourself clearly.

Clear yet?

---

Now how this is made possible by the MS monopoly (as you claim it is)
I don't get... so feel free to tell me.

..darcy

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!!
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:04:52 GMT

"Andrew Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > WinNT and 2K have security and permissions which are superior
> > to *nix (DAC instead of G/U/E) so again this bug is a moot point.
>
> I'll show a little ignorance regarding NT system details and ask this:
>
> is it possible for a user (any arbitrary user) to delete system files?

If they have permissions to delete a system file and the system file
isn't currently in use, then yes. They can delete it. Most likely, though,
Windows SFP will replace the file immediately.

But you wouldn't give users permissions to delete system files, so
it's unlikely that this would happen.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:06:09 -0400

Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>In fact, I didn't comment on RMI.

It was Zenin.  My mistake.

   [...]
>Yes, both of these rpc services are functional, but could be better
>implemented without using RPC and its overhead and other problem.  I this
>RPC is a good tool for some jobs but not for such critical systems.  But
>then, at the time that Sun first introduced these protocols were on an RPC
>kick..

Well, they're fundamentally sound, well engineered, content-free
transfer protocols; all RPCs are.  While the name certainly makes it
sound like there are some pre-defined 'procedures' which are remotely
called, RPC is really just a connectionless session/presentation-layer
wrapper around an almost entirely arbitrary application layer payload.
How to take a message, and get it there, without any concern at all for
what the message is.  Very flexible, easy to re-use, but not what you'd
call optimized or feature-rich.

>If anyone wants to see how much of a performance hit that the RPC's overhead
>costs NFS.  Setup a fileserver that offers a files set via NFS.  Setup
>marsnwe to provide that same files set on the same fileserver via NCP.
>Transfer a few large files to and from the fileserver using both protocols
>and compare the transfer speed.

How would that differentiate RPC's overhead from NFS'?  This 'marsnwe'
server doesn't use NCP on RPCs, I'm quite sure; that would be all but
impossible.  Or should I say disastrous.

I thought lots of people had already essentially compared NCP to NFS (on
RPC), and found that NCP was definitively faster.  It wouldn't make much
sense to just 'move' NFS to a different (new) transfer method, anyway.
We'd want to redesign it.  Make it more like NCP (but without the IPX
shackles).  ;-)

So tell me more about this marsnwe.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:08:26 -0400

Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>On Mon, 04 Sep 2000 18:50:42 -0400, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>
>[ snip ]
>
>I think I agree with your reasoning here. The fact that Harmony died
>due to "lack of interest" is an incomplete argument. One must consider
>how the lack of interest arose to properly assess the situation. I
>think everyone agrees on why there was a lack of interest in this case.

Well, I think there's still a number of questions concerning the
employment issue, but all's well that ends well.

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:11:21 GMT

> Make no mistake, partial birth abortions are infanticide and have nothing
> to do with a woman's right to choose.

It has something to do with her right to choose, but what
right to choose is that, you ask? Answer: the right to live.

Partial birth abortions aren't used as a form of birth control,
you know...

C//

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:12:42 -0400

Said Jim Richardson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> T. Max Devlin, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   [...]
>>As did I.  Others took it as less than reassuring, even threatening.  I
>>won't second-guess them.
>
>Why not? you second guess everyone else.

I'd hoped that you'd be able to tell from what I was saying; no, I
don't.  I double-check them, if that's what you mean, but I don't second
guess people if I can help it.  All the time, I'll hear someone ask "why
did they...?" and I'll feel the urge to ask them, "How can that possibly
matter?"

   [...]
>>I have considered that fact; that's what I'm debating.  It was his job
>>to respond better, and he should have taken more time if that's what was
>>necessary.  I don't fault him because nobody was there to say, "You're
>>supposed to encourage competition; say no, you won't sue."  I'm merely
>>pointing out that this would have been the ideal.
>
>No, you think it would have been ideal, but you were not in the loop.

Neither was anyone else who knows anything about anti-trust, apparently.

> How that oversight occured, them not ringing you up and inquiring as to
>your legal opinion escapes me at the moment.

Well, most people don't know I'd be happy to help, if they need some
advice.  Feel free to email me.  And I hope to be starting a web page
soon.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:12:20 GMT

"Zenin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> : You avoided the question.  rm -rf /* still deletes all files

> I answered the question.  rm -rf /* does not, infact, "delete all
> files" except under one condition (ie, one "turns off the safty on
> the gun" by running as root).

So, the steps you have to go to run rm -rf /* are somehow "OK" as
opposed to the numerous steps you must go through to do the same thing
with FrontPage? Double standard anyone?

> : Windows 9x doesn't have security, so your point is moot. I personally
> : dislike Win9x, so again, this isn't relevant.
>
> Huh?  That *is* the point.

Win9x sucks, so arguing about how bad Win9x sucks is futile. I think
we're in agreement on this one. The "bug" in frontpage is no more a threat
then deltree is.

> : WinNT and 2K have security and permissions which are superior to *nix (DAC
> : instead of G/U/E) so again this bug is a moot point.
>
> Permissions yes, security no.

Well, then you don't know what you're talking about. Windows 2000 is far
superior in it's security infrastructure than almost all versions of
Unix except special breeds created for the highest levels of the government
which have special non-standard kernels and inner-workings which
essentially make them non-Unix anyhow.

Windows NT 4.0 has acheived C2 red and orange book security ratings from
the DoD. A feat no other Unix has achieved except for special varieties
which incorporate home-grown add-ons (including a DAC implementation
since the DoD recognizes what a backwards and insecure method the
G/U/E scheme is).

Educate yourself before making wide-eyed assumptions that "Unix is
better" which is simply ignorant and arrogant. Each has their pluses
and minuses, but when it comes to the security implementation in Win2K
(which has had major improvements in security even over NT 4.0 and
incorporates all the modifications in NT4SP6 to make the orange-book
C2) there's no comparision to Unix (especially Linux, which is a joke
for anyone who has an impartial view of things -- e.g. non-Slashdot
drones)

-Chad

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:16:29 -0400

Said Gary Hallock in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
>> The statement has to be false, but the slanderer doesn't have to be
>> lying?  So, in other words, you've just slandered me, because it is
>> false that I am a sex offender, and it doesn't matter that your are or
>> are not lying when you say that?
>
>What Donovan is said correct.   And since what he said is true, he did not
>slander you.   Just in case you missed it, there was an "if" at the beginning of
>his sentence.   He did not accuse you of being a sex offender.

Just in case you think I cared:   [   ]

>> IOW, your attempt to say that since
>> you are ignorant of my putative record, you have a right to call me a
>> sex offender, is an attempt to use ignorance in defense of slander?
>
>Hu??  Donovan said no such thing.  He said ignorance is not a defense for
>slander.

You moron, he said I'm a sex offender, while pretending not to.  How
stupid are you?

>> I'm getting a headache.
>
>I'm sorry about that.  It is really quite simple.

I'd say you're just simple, and sorry.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:17:37 GMT

"Courageous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Make no mistake, partial birth abortions are infanticide and have nothing
> > to do with a woman's right to choose.
>
> It has something to do with her right to choose, but what
> right to choose is that, you ask? Answer: the right to live.
>
> Partial birth abortions aren't used as a form of birth control,
> you know...

<sigh> Must I educate everyone?

Most partial birth abortions are used as birth control. The
Mother "changes her mind". After 9 months? I wish I had that
kind of time to make life-altering decisions. I feel descriminated
upon. Perhaps we all should be allowed the right for a 9 month
decision period for life-altering decisions, huh?

Almost every law drafted, and every modern law against PBAs have
a "unless the mother's life is threatened" clause, yet still
the Clintonites and liberals veto it or vote it down. They
seem to like seeing infanticide happening in our own back yard.

However, by the 3rd trimester, C-sections become more and
more possible and with todays medical technology, children
as small as 3-4lbs can live to see long healthy lives
which makes the need for PBAs unecessary and, in fact,
counterintuitive and unethical.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:19:55 -0400

Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>No, I haven't accused you of being a sex offender.

No, you said I was a sex offender.

>Please read the post
>again.

I did; you put an 'if' in front of it, so you could pretend that you
hadn't called me a sex offender, but nobody who is smart enough to read
Usenet is stupid enough to miss that the reason you brought up the
entire argument is so that you could type the words "max is a sex
offender".  Stop acting delusional, like you didn't know you did it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:23:31 -0400

Said Gary Hallock in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Which page would that be?  Could you narrow it down a bit?
>
>http://www.kde.org/gallery/index.html

Thank you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. Spider)
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a  desktop
platform
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:20:28 GMT

It appears that on Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:41:48 GMT, in
comp.os.linux.advocacy "Shocktrooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"D. Spider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> It appears that on Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:25:21 +1000, in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> >"Alan Boyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >So what should the behaviour be when I drop a file onto the Word button on
>> >the taskbar ?
>> >
>> >Should it open the file in a new window ?
>> >Should it insert the contents of the file in the currently open document ?
>> >At the beginning or at the current cursor position ?
>> >Should it link to the file being dropped ?  At the beginning or at the
>> >current cursor position ?
>>
>> The best solution would be the default behavior, i.e. the same thing
>> as dropping it to the program name - open (in a new window.)
>
>Which is what it does.

No, that was the whole point. It doesn't. It pops up an error message
instead.

        My email address is posted for purposes of private
        correspondence only. Consent is expressly NOT given
        to receive advertisements, or bulk mailings of any
                               kind.
        Since Deja.com will not archive my messages without
       altering them for purposes of advertisement, deja.com
               is barred from archiving my messages.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:16:13 -0400

Ingemar Lundin wrote:

> You should really get some help "Aaron"...
>
> Its obvious that you've having a severe case of MSfobia...(and how knows
> what other perverted things...)
>
> And i promise you, insulting people in this NG isnt going to better your
> condition
>
> For being a "Unix System Engineer" (whats thats supposed to mean?) you sure
> seem to have a lot of
> time writing crap in this NG.
>
> Just come straight now...youre 45+, living with your mother, never had a
> girlfriend, and trying to fool yourself and others that you are som sort of
> educated person...right?

Early 30's.

I moved out of the house at age 17.

My gf is a size-3 beauty who is speaks 7 languages fluently and is
gorgeous as hell...

And I'm a university-educated computer systems engineer who specializes
in Unix systems.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:19:42 -0400

Jack Troughton wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:33:12, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Jack Troughton wrote:

> >> Hazard pay... it IS Detroit, after all :)
> >
> >I'm talking EVERYWHERE....
> >
> >Not IN Detroit....AROUND Detroit.
>
> Don't have much of a sense of humour, eh?

sure i do... it's just...

your quip had all of the elements of a joke, except it lacked humor.

> * Jack Troughton              jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
> * http://jakesplace.dhs.org     ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org *
> * Montréal PQ Canada           news://jakesplace.dhs.org *

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:20:28 -0400

Courageous wrote:

> > >If you believe that class size is the only thing wrong with the schools,
> > >of course.
> >
> > Mother of perl, Joe... You are the... *stupidest* troll I've ever seen.
> > Why do you do this?
>
> *shrug*
>
> His remark was apropos enough. There are certain issues with
> dumbing-down curricula; that doesn't require money to correct.
> Likewise, perenially disruptive students can be removed.
>
> I recall classes in college with *hundreds* of students per
> instructor. I learned well enough.
>
> So perhaps he has a point...

PRECISELY.

> C//

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:01:41 -0700

Hello,

> >OWL
> >MFC
> >XForms
> >Tk
> >Motif ( Lesstif is *not* a viable alternative for most developers )
>
> OK, I'm going to assume (since you're too much of a PUTZ to just say it)
> that these are all libraries and APIs.  The only implementation of these
> APIs is that library, and there is only one API that library supports.
> Nobody ever considered the library different from the API, and
> considered each to be a 'toolset' that a programmer uses when developing
> an application.

I assume that you are familiar with Motif libraries, Lesstif is a free
implementation of Motif which is useable alreay and is improving all the
time.  TK is the windowing library for TCL.  XForms is a library used to
"simplify" programming X software, I have never been too impressed by it.
All of these are for unix running X.

OWL is the Object Windows Library provided with Borland C/C++ compilers for
use in writing Microsoft Windows programs.  MFC is Microsoft Foundation
Classses another similar library provided with Microsoft C/C++ for use in
writing Microsoft Windows programs.  OWL was cloned by a library named xOWL
is available to support programming X programs written in C++ that is almost
source code identical to MS Windows programs using OWL.  The same was done
with MFC twice, but Microsoft crushed both efforts of cloning MFC.