Linux-Advocacy Digest #909, Volume #34            Sat, 2 Jun 01 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (GreyCloud)
  Re: What does XP stands for ??? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer (GreyCloud)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: What does XP stands for ??? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Opera (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
  Re: Windows XP Gets Fingered (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
  Re: steve chaney steals his mother bLobbi sanchez's snack cake (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-) ("Todd")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Rick)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer (pip)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer (Rick)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer (pip)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!
("Edward Rosten")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! (drsquare)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!
(drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the         dust!
(drsquare)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: RIP the Linux desktop (drsquare)
  Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks: ("Edward Rosten")

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:12:42 -0700

Dave Martel wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:40:06 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Still too damn expensive.  The latest report from Redmonds own marketing
> >analysts have said that Office XP is becoming too expensive and that end
> >users are balking at spending that much money on it.  Sales are slower
> >than expected during Thursdays launch of Office XP.
>
> Did you see the one about the LUG convention that just happened to be
> in the same building as the XP launch in Florida?
>
> <http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/06/01/1540231&mode=thread>
>
> "...Microsoft wasn't too bothered by the Suncoast Linux User's Group,
> as long as they stayed in their little Linux Land yard at the back of
> the room. But apparently the MS bulldogs had unofficially marked the
> front portico outside as their exclusive territory (maybe it was the
> giant blow-up Office XP box out there that made them think so). When a
> few of the Linux dogs ... er, group decided to go outside and pass out
> Linux CDs and free copies of Linux Journal magazine, the closed-source
> powers-that-be growled and snarled menacingly..."
>
> Wish I'd been there. Heh heh!

HAHAHA!!!  That reminds me when I was in Redmond during MS rollout of
Win95.  They had these big bubble tents that needed airblowers to keep
them inflated... and people would enter to see Windows 95 in action...
sort of like a peep show! :-))  All that air and hype you'd think it was
getting ready to lift off of the ground. :-)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:16:01 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
> > > Of course,  acronyms are often chosen prior to working out exactly what
> > > they stand for.  You don't believe PASCAL,  ADA,  BASIC, etc.  are all
> > > accidents,  do you?
>
> Ada is not an acronym, it's a name.
> What does Pascal stand for? I thought it was named for it's developer.

Blaise Pascal... mathematician.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:26:45 -0700

Mike wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:mTZR6.38033$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-micro01.html:
> >
> > Q: Do you view Linux and the open-source movement as a threat to
> Microsoft?
> >
> > A: Yeah. It's good competition. It will force us to be innovative. It will
> > force us to justify the prices and value that we deliver. And that's only
> > healthy. The only thing we have a problem with is when the government
> funds
> > open-source work. Government funding should be for work that is available
> > to everybody. Open source is not available to commercial companies. The
> way
> > the license is written, if you use any open-source software, you have to
> > make the rest of your software open source. If the government wants to put
> > something in the public domain, it should. Linux is not in the public
> > domain. Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property
> > sense to everything it touches. That's the way that the license works.
> >
> > (end quote)
> >
> > You couldn't say anything more ridiculous if you tried.
> >
> > The Govt. sends millions (at least) to MS every year for shrinkwrapped
> > software, funding the development of code that is proprietary MS
> > property.   But that doesn't seem to bother Ballmer quite so much.
>
> I'm kind of confused here, but clearly not as much as you. Rational people
> can draw a distinction between purchasing a product and funding research. On
> the other hand, this is cola...
>
> I think Ballmer has a point. It seems evident to me that if government funds
> are used to support software research, the results of that research should
> be, in most cases, public domain. Ballmer's contention is that the GNU
> license restricts the use of software, so GNU software isn't really public
> domain.
>
> So, the question is, why shouldn't government funded software development be
> public domain?
>
> -- Mike --

It would be nice idealistically to do this, but in reality MS would
incorporate the code and make a few changes and then declare it
proprietary.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:00:26 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mike wrote:

> > So, the question is, why shouldn't government funded software
development be
> > public domain?
> >
> > -- Mike --
>
> It would be nice idealistically to do this, but in reality MS would
> incorporate the code and make a few changes and then declare it
> proprietary.

So?
That doesn't affect the original code *at all*.
*You* can do the same.
You can even release it under the GPL.

The point of Public Domain is that anyone can do anything to it, period.

Why would you want to block code from use? If you GPL something, you prevent
it from being used in many places.
And proprietary software is just one of them. X, Apache, BSD, and other
software are all projects that you close your software from if you use the
GPL.
And those are only the high propile projects.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:00:54 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > Ada is not an acronym, it's a name.
> > What does Pascal stand for? I thought it was named for it's developer.
>
> Blaise Pascal... mathematician.

Okay, so it's not an acronym, which was my point.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 09:08:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Opera

>>When you can get a better browser for free, why pay?

I tried Opera years ago, because IE was just extrodinarily sluggish.  I recall
finding the UI strange, but enjoying the performance (on a nil-cache P100 with
16 or was it 48M of memory and original Win95).  I just let it lapse after the
30-day trial, as I didn't want to explain the need to allocate the price of a
browser when "we already have one".

In my experience with my Win98SE box, I find that IE is often the first part of
the system to go 'rancid'... I get a lot of on-load GPFs, and sometimes some
when running, and it's reinstall time.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 02 Jun 2001 09:08:55 GMT
Subject: Re: Windows XP Gets Fingered

>> The red star-shaped Mozilla logo is nearly identical to what used to be
>> painted on former Soviet warplanes.

So?  A red star is a fairly generic symbol.  Read into it what you wish, until
you start taking away everyone's Playskool Shape'n'Sort because it has a red
plastic star that you insert in a slot to make Big Bird pop out.

I happen to like the looks of the imagery associated with the Mozilla project.
It is possible to like the art style even if you don't care for its original
implication.

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: steve chaney steals his mother bLobbi sanchez's snack cake
Date: Sat,  2 Jun 2001 12:10:04 +0200 (CEST)

chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >When you're as smart as I am, there is no need.
>
> If you were so smart, you wouldn't be so afraid to admit that
> sometimes you don't know.  The more educated a person gets, the more
> he/she realizes that there' many thing they don't know.

i have no idea why you stick hamsters up your bum.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

maybe it's a jesus thing

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
 - bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-)
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:00:31 +0800

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Todd wrote:
> > Well, 9x seems to crash more than its fair share then... I've been
spoiled
> > by W2k.  I think XP will be great for consumers... they are going to
wonder
> > why they don't have to reboot nearly as often.
> >

> Nearly as often??  I'd rather not reboot at all.

Obviously.

But all OSes crash... and yes, even Linux does.

> The jury is still out here whether XP will really be the continuation in
> our household or not.  It all hangs on any silly licensing agreements
> that may require an annual license fee.  If they want a fee we're outta
> MS camp.

Eventually, most software will be written for XP... and MS will be smart
enough to add new APIs to XP so that previous versions of Windows can't run
the new software.  This is what they must do to get revenue.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:12:53 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:58:48 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >Hepatitis isn't spread through heterosexual sex.
> >
> > Bring on the evidence.
>
> Sorry, but your fallacious technique of "shifting the burden of proof" will not work.
>
> YOU are the one alleging that hepatitis is spread through heterosexual
> sex, therefore, the burden of proof is on you, not me.
>

> >On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:02:22 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >(Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >Hepatitis A is spread through oral-fecal contamination. Hepatitis E can
> >be spread through contaminated food. Neither of these is transmitted
> >through bodily fluids as are B and C, so neither of these has any
> >relation to sexual activities.
> >
> >You might want to take a blood-borne pathogen course. They include
> >information on AIDS and hepatitis.
> >You might want to take a blood-borne pathogen course. They include
> >information on AIDS and hepatitis.

You really should take that class. Your knowledge of blood borne
pathogen diseases is woefully inadeguate, unless you never plan on
having any kind of sex again.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:18:21 +0100

Mike wrote:

> Irrational paranoid-delusional rantings snipped.
>
> > --
> > Charlie
> > -------
>
> Sorry, there was nothing left.
>
> -- Mike --

What is so irrational about wanting tax funded software research to be
available to the whole community ? The fact is the the GPL does not
prevent companies making money off of it. It ONLY stipulates that those
companies can't keep their source code extensions closed to *IT'S*
customers.

Therefore, if you license under the GPL, the IP and implementation of
the research becomes transparent. The likes of M$, who can afford to do
so, should make a clean room implementation using just the ideas. Then
they are free to do whatever they like. I find this perfectly rational.
Why should some large company get a free product which they can simply
add eye candy and sell (while closing the source for their users)?

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:21:49 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Mike wrote:
>

> > > So, the question is, why shouldn't government funded software
> development be
> > > public domain?
> > >
> > > -- Mike --
> >
> > It would be nice idealistically to do this, but in reality MS would
> > incorporate the code and make a few changes and then declare it
> > proprietary.
>
> So?
> That doesn't affect the original code *at all*.
> *You* can do the same.
> You can even release it under the GPL.
>
> The point of Public Domain is that anyone can do anything to it, period.
>
> Why would you want to block code from use? If you GPL something, you prevent
> it from being used in many places.
> And proprietary software is just one of them. X, Apache, BSD, and other
> software are all projects that you close your software from if you use the
> GPL.
> And those are only the high propile projects.

If micro$oft wants proprietary code, they can damn well write it
themselves. Ballmer's comments have nothing to do with the "public good"
and everything to do with micros$oft being unable to take GPL code
(specifically) and make it their's. He also realizes that good software
(or even "just good enough") thats is Free (as in code and possibly in
$) may well displace micro$oft software. Afterall, he has tried several
times to convince everyone ... what's go for m$ is good for the USA...
hell maybe the planet, possibly the galaxy. Well, it just ain't so.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:22:05 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:
> The point of Public Domain is that anyone can do anything to it, period.
>
> Why would you want to block code from use? If you GPL something, you prevent
> it from being used in many places.
> And proprietary software is just one of them. X, Apache, BSD, and other
> software are all projects that you close your software from if you use the
> GPL.
> And those are only the high propile projects.

You have a good point about the problems that open source projects who
operate with a different license may face.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:24:17 +0100

>>> Where is this example?
>>
>>I love your tactic of simply ignoring every piece of evidence and when
>>the poster won't post it for the 25th time, you accuse them of lying.
>>
>>Now this is a prime example.
>
> Will you two just fuck off please, or take it somewhere else?

piss off.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the
dust!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:36:19 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Patrick Ford"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:40:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >"Taking the piss"? WTF does that mean?
>>
>> What do you mean "WTF"? How can you not know what that means?
>
> He's a seppo, perhaps?

seppo? are you taking the piss? how am I meant to know wtf that
means??!??!?!

-Ed

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:25 +0100

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 04:10:36 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Roughly 250, I believe.
>>
>> Fuck me. It'd be quicker to write the OS yourself.

>Really? You must be able to type *really* fast.

Nah, I've got a voice recognition thing.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:26 +0100

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:45:41 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >If you're going to read posts out of context, don't bother replying.  I
>say
>> >to you again, follow the thread.

>> No thanks, I've got better things to do than play your little games.

>What games?  You replied to my post completely out of context, and expect me
>to take you seriously?

You took me seriously enough to reply.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:27 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:14:52 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >typo(-d +f), presumably.
>>
>> How can you do that? They're on opposite sides of the keyboard.
>
>On a standard qwerty keyboard you will find "d" and "f" side by side.

Standard qwerty keyboards are for queers. The layout on mine is far
superior.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:27 +0100

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 04:11:22 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >typo(-d +f), presumably.
>>
>> How can you do that? They're on opposite sides of the keyboard.
>
>d & f ? They are right next to each other in QWERTY keyboard.

Who said I had a qwerty keyboard?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:28 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:46:13 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >The best case for the one-button mouse I've found to date is that it
>> >reduces the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome... which my wife got from
>> >using MS mouse.  Try this little experiment... flex your index finger
>> >hard and fell the inner pressures on your hand by griping your wrist
>> >with the other hand.  Now just move all four fingers in a primate like
>> >mode and feel the difference.  I think we will be moving over to the Mac
>> >only because of this.
>>
>> What the HELL are you talking about?

>Carpal Tunnel syndrome.... haven't you ever heard of it??   She's been

No actually, I haven't.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:29 +0100

On 2 Jun 2001 13:40:41 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Patrick Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >"Taking the piss"? WTF does that mean?
>>
>> What do you mean "WTF"? How can you not know what that means?
>
>He's a seppo, perhaps?

A what?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:30 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:53:18 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >Hepatitis isn't spread through heterosexual sex.
>>
>> Bring on the evidence.

>Sorry, but your fallacious technique of "shifting the burden of proof" will not work.

Shifting? The burden of proof is one you to start with, as you're the
one that made the claim that it isn't spread through heterosexual sex.

>YOU are the one alleging that hepatitis is spread through heterosexual
>sex, therefore, the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Hepatitus can be spread through sex, as everyone knows. You're stating
that it can't be spread through heterosexual sex. It's up to to prove
that.

>> >Hope that fucking helps, moron.
>>
>> I think not.
>
>see above.
>
>Oh, and take a logic class.

Take an irony class.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:30 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:54:35 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >You might want to take a blood-borne pathogen course. They include
>> >information on AIDS and hepatitis.
>>
>> No, then he'd find out the truth, which would get in the way of his
>> bigotted right wing views, and we can't have that, can we?

>Spot the homosexuality promoter.

Where?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:31 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:13:46 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Philip Nicholls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 31 May 2001 21:40:33 -0400, Nigel Feltham
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>That's a good line - Win2k is for those who don't CARE.
>>
>>Of course those who do care about things like stability, security and
>>configureability with any sense will choose Unix / Linux every time.

>And those who have lives outside of computers, who see computers as a
>tool and not an end to themselves will chose windows.

If they see computers like that, they won't be "choosing" anything,
they'll get what's preinstalled.

>Again, it comes down to choice.  Linux is available for those who want
>to take the time to learn to use it.

Or for those who don't.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:32 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:21:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >With X, rather, and it's inability to cope with alternative input
>> >devices.
>>
>> That's like blaming Windows for not being able to cope with a new
>> keyboard with a pencil sharpener in place of the "windows" key.
>
>But it would be able to.

As would X without a middle button.

><sigh>
>You just don't understand.

You get more bent every day.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:33 +0100

On 02 Jun 2001 02:41:27 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)) wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:05:00 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Now this is a prime example.
>>
>> Will you two just fuck off please, or take it somewhere else?
>
>Why ?

Because I've got better things to do than read countless posts between
a couple of cunts arguing about some off topic shite.

>You're a new poster to COLA, Drsquare, why not just get a news

New poster? I've been posting here for years.

>reader that has a scorefile and then you can avoid attempting to
>be a good thought policeman ?

Because then I'd miss other posts.

>Goodwin and Rosten, are long term posters, and we are all having
>a nice COLA argument over tactics.
>
>Comments like yours, will just get *you* killfiled.

Oh no, that would be a complete DISASTER.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:34 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 05:45:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesse F. Hughes)) wrote:

>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> >Scotland Yard has been fudging the data for years, by Only reporting
>> >CONVICTIONS, not crimes reported.

>> If they're not convicted, then you cannot count it as a crime. Do you
>> not have "innocent until proven guilty" in your country?

>Consequently, murder/suicide is not a crime.  After all, if I kill
>myself after offing whoever is annoying me, I will not be convicted.
>
>Brilliant.  No convictions, no crimes.
>
>I'm not entering the debate here, but that kind of tortured reasoning
>deserves comment.  Clearly, some *crimes* go unsolved (or unpunished),
>but no one has any doubt that a crime has been committed.

Well, that's relevant.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:38:02 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 01:39:26 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> No, why would you think that?
>
>>G******s law?
>
> Oh fuck off.

Before you start being rude, tru making sense. I have absoloutely no iead
what you're going on about.

-Ed