From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:15:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:17:15 -0600
<1sat6.212$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > You've never heard of a disassembler?  It's not uncommon for people to
>> > disassemble huge parts of OS's to prove such things.  The license
>agreement
>> > isn't valid if it's used to cover up illegal behavior, so the
>no-disassembly
>> > clause would not be an issue.
>>
>> So, your trying to tell me that the German Army should disassemble various
>> American closed source software to validate that there are no back-doors?
>
>No, I'm saying they should disassemble *ANY* software they use, regardless
>of where it comes from, even their own programmers.  That is, if they're
>really THAT paranoid. If not, they have to put trust somewhere, and hope
>they don't get screwed.

I'll admit that's theoretically possible -- I did some work on
reassembling transistor subassemblies into CMOS logic gates back in
the mid-80's, for circuit verification -- but it's a more difficult
problem, in my estimation.  (The code is now lost, mind you; it was
written in Whitesmith's C on VMS for an employer for whom I no longer work,
and haven't for more than a decade.  It wasn't horribly pretty code,
either. :-) )

>> Have you EVER disassembled anything in your life? Do you grasp how huge a
>task
>> that is?
>
>For someone that does it for a living, not as huge as you might think.
>There are also tools that help to recreate assembly into pseudo-highlevel
>language.

This does not surprise me; if I can do it for transistors, some
bright hacker can do it for source code. :-)

The main issue might be meaningful variable names.

                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

------------------------------

From: "Zed Mister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Yet more XBox bogification...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:32:30 -0800

I can understand your frustration.  However, the lens flare IS 100% possible
with the technology in the xbox.  There are API calls that can be made to
Direct3D 5, 6, 7, and 8 that perform the lens flare.  As far as I know
Microsoft has already removed the demonstration screenshots in question and
replaced them with real screenshots from the games.  Now, if Microsoft had
put the lens flare there when there was absolutely no way for the xbox to
actually deliver the lens flare, I would say that it was false
advertisement.  However, it CAN.  It just happens that game developers don't
use lens flare all that often because it is annoying.

With your hamburger example, sure the hamburger at BK looks like somebody
had sat on it for a couple of hours before it was served.  That's mainly why
I haven't bought anything from BK or MacDonalds for over 3 years now.  I, as
a consumer, have the choice of not buying something again once I experience
how crappy it is.  I no longer believe advertisements.  I do my own research
in whether or not a product will deliver by sampling and by asking others
whether they are satisfied with the product.  You should try to do the same.
You don't have to eat the coco puff and marshmellow-packed cereals if you
don't want to.  Nobody is forcing you to do it, so don't.

news:996d37$hmq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:46 -0000

I wish they could get Flight Sim2000 working correctly without crashing
before they meddle with carrier deck launches !

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the truth about linux
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:56:19 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > > The MSCEs also recommend defragging the hard drive once a week and fix
> > > the registry as well.
> > > I've never had to defrag under Solaris and I don't have a registry to
> > > fix.
> >
> > I've only once seen a harddrive that needed defragging under Linux. It
> > was abused with a cycle that went like this:
> >
> > Create a large bunch of small and medium sized files and a couple of
> > huge ones. Delete some and repeat hundreds of times.
> >
> > By the end, it couldn't sustain an 8x write on to a CD.
> >
> > -Ed
> >
> > --
> > Did you know that the oldest known rock is the famous |u98ejr
> > Hackenthorpe rock, which is over three trillion years |@
> > old?                                                  |eng.ox
> >                 -The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies        |.ac.uk
>
> Thats once tho on Linux, but you should see the complaints in microsofts
> newsgroups!
> One is recommended to do this weekly service for the average home user.
> In this I'm referring to Win98SE, Win98, Win95, WinME.  Unfortuanately
> for VMS, defragging was also needed and had to get software from Exec
> Soft to defrag a VAX hard drive. (But I ran it in the background all the
> time.)
>  BTW, what does one use to defrag a linux filesystem??

The old way (1980s) was to use dump to make an image on a tape, erase
the filesystem, freeing ALL inodes and blocks (which, due to garbage
collection, become one contigous chunk of blocks), and then restore
the filesystem from your dump device (either a tape, or if faster
speed is needed, an appropriate sized raw partition set aside for
this purpose.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:01:35 -0500

Rex Ballard wrote:

> [...]
>  Then they run web server asps connected to SQL Server back-ends.
>  Actuall cost of the system - just for the royalties - approaches
> $1/2 million for the four-by-four  (16 processors at $20k each).
>
> To do the performance tests, they run the drives in RAID 0, with larger
> tables split across multiple servers, and strong effinity.  It's fast,
> but unreliable.  And the costs assume less than $50,000 per year for
> staffing and support of all servers and users.
>
> I've read the "Fast Facts" pages, they come up every time a company
> studies the choice between Linux, Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP_UX, or BSD).
>
> My all-time favorite is the one where a lab attempts to "Prove" that
> Windows NT will have a lower TCO because you will need Solaris AND
> Netware servers (since this guy never heard of SAMBA), and you will
> need only 3 servers per 1,000 users.  He also gave a minimum price
> of $25,000 for the Solaris box compared to $2,000 for  NT.
>
> The Iloveyou virus alone caused nearly $2.6 billion in damages, and the
> breaching strategy was copied from Melissa, a virus that Microsoft had
> supposedly "cured".  Other viruses weren't as widely distributed, but
> they corrupted hard drives, wiped out critical files, and pushed
> confidential information (cookies, passwords, e-mail) through
> corporate fire-walls.
>
> Reality and real-world performance have consistently shown that even
> Linux 2.2.17 can run circles around Windows NT and Windows 2000 when
> it comes to the overall combination of performance, stability,
> security, ROI, TCO, and ROE.
>
> Within the UNIX world, Linux on Intel is usually considered the lower
> end of the spectrum of UNIX systems (even though Linux clusters now
> compete favorably with the largest and fastest clusters and mainframes).
>
> Both Sun and IBM are now offering their RISC versions of UNIX on servers
> costing under $1000.  Linux 2.4.1 kernel supports nearly all of the
> features of the biggest supercomputers, and is now available on
> everything from Pentiums to Z-900 supercomputers.
>
> With Linux/UNIX, the standards are published, and supported by Open
> Source software.
>
> With Windows NT/2000 the standards are proproprietary, closed,
> incompatible with existing infrastructure, and create security
> exposures that are well-known by many and can be exploited by
> middle-school kids.
>
> Linux has a number of engineering advantages, most of which are
> available in open source, which Microsoft is unable to exploit
> because they bet the entire company that UNIX wasn't going to
> ever be a viable platform.
>
> Perhaps SCO will let them start marketing UNIX again :-).
>
> Linux - 100 million and counting.
>
> --
> Rex Ballard
> IT Architect
> http://www.open4success.com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: IBM adapting entire disk storage line to work with Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:01:02 GMT

In article <rBnt6.88480$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Not everyone uses supercomputers. For the masses, Win2K is the fastest
>clustering solution you can buy (or can't buy, as the case may be).
>See www.tpc.org.

    At $20K per CPU I hardly think masses of people will even look at
    W2K.

    You are also ignoring that Bill wants to play in this ballpark but
    cannot manage it without benchmarketing.

    Those tpc numbers which excite you so much are under dispute and may
    have to be withdrawn.

>The Linux clusters are accomplished only by stringing together hundreds
>of machines. It doesn't speak much about Linux that it's so low-performance
>that you need to string hundreds of machines to achieve any respectable
>performance.

    Using old machines which were going to be trashed a clinic in Peru
    put together a Beowulf cluster.

    The women who live on the mountain above the town used to have to
    walk to the town, catch the train into the city, stay in a hotel
    overnight, get their MRI done the next morning, reverse the process
    to get home.

    These are poor families, staying overnight at a hotel let alone
    the arduous journey kept many from being tested.

    The clinic got a donated scanner and uses that Beowulf cluster to
    process the images in minutes so she can go home or begin treatment
    that same day.

    That cluster has saved more than one life.

    Cheap computing has value beyond serving up your porn collection.

>So? Stringing together hundreds of boxes isn't something to really
>be proud of, necessarily. And even so, they're just competeing with
>Unix, for the most part. For the rest of the world, there's Windows.

    They are the most powerful computers in the world.  None of the
    top thirty run NT.

    That does not mean that Windows is powerful, scalable, or fast.

>In terms of how the world uses computing, this is a small portion of it.
>Granted, it is the largest portion in terms of MIPS, but in terms of
>people using them, many more people use Windows every day for servers
>and desktops. Linux is still a niche OS.

    Yes there are far more desktops than any other kind of computer but
    they are confined to a narrow range of one architecture.

    Linux uses the same kernel on everything from a 64-bit z900
    supercomputer down to wristwatches.

    That is scalability.  Not with separate source trees for embedded,
    desktops, and clusters.

>>     Oil companies, biotech companies,  and financial houses are hardly
>>     what I would class as dead end jobs.

    These are some examples of the unimportant industries that you think
    are "just a niche" ?

    Bills' vision is Windows everywhere.  When will he be paying
    attention to these "niches" ?  How is he going to address them
    without "Stringing together hundreds of boxes" ?

>>     The Linux community is putting together several "Supercomputer On A
>>     CD" distros so these clusters will become more common and the
>>     knowledge of how to put them together and keep them tuned up will be
>>     within the reach of every highschool science club.
>>
>>     This is the territory Bill is aching about getting in to and Linux
>>     is here first and widening the gap.
>
>Not really. Bill goes after the big bucks, not some geeky niche.

    I have noticed that you do not respond to the points presented.

    Instead you try to throw in a barb hoping that the response will
    focus on that and ignore that you did not refute anything or present
    any counter evidence.

    Max is right Erik is smarter than you.  You are destined to remain a
    sock-puppet junior grade I am afraid.

>>     I would let someone else show him this list if I were you, he has been
>>     known to spit and throw things when he is unhappy.
>>
>> <TITLE>Bookmarks for Chad Meyers</TITLE>
>
>It's "Myers", fuckwit.

    I might as well have spelled it "Boneheaded, shit for brains moron"
    for all anybody but you cares.

--
GPL says
  "What's mine is ours,

------------------------------

From: "JD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:07:24 -0500

"Graham Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In gnu.misc.discuss, "JD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Free software obviously means that it can be passed on to other people with
> > no restrictions.
>
> That is not at all obvious. Mention of often made of free speech and
> free beer, but what about the concept of free as in "free man"?

Free software being the same as 'free man' is rather absurd.  Software has
no will.  In fact, software has less will than a cat or dog, probably less than
a cockroach.

John

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:04:03 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Chad Myers wrote:
> >>
> >> "Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Not everyone uses supercomputers. For the masses, Win2K is the fastest
> >> clustering solution you can buy (or can't buy, as the case may be).
> >> See www.tpc.org.
> >
> >Do "the masses" have $80,000 to spend in licensing fees to get lower
> >performance than can be obtained with $100 worth of Linux CD's?
> >

> LIES LIES LIES!  Debian is less than $15 from cheapbytes
> and even cheaper if you know what the internet is about.

Thanks for setting me straight, Charlie.

The Microsoft:Linux initial  COST ratio isn't
  800:1, as i mistakenly suggested...it's 5333:1...or higher!

> >> The Linux clusters are accomplished only by stringing together hundreds
> >> of machines. It doesn't speak much about Linux that it's so low-performance
> >> that you need to string hundreds of machines to achieve any respectable
> >> performance.
> >
> >Must be why 1-, 2-, 4-, and 8-CPU mother boards always perform BETTER
> >when running Linux than when running LoseDOS.

> >> So? Stringing together hundreds of boxes isn't something to really
> >> be proud of, necessarily.
> >
> >Can you take 100 80386 boxes destined for the trash bin, and hook
> >them together to get supercomputer performance using any WINDOWS
> >product?
> >
> >a) yes
> >B) HELL NO!
> >

> >Can you do this with Linux?
> >
> >a) no
> >B) HELL YES!
> >

> >Ask the department at the Oakridge, TN nuclear weapons facility which
> >needed the throughput of a CRAY supercomputer, but didn't have the funds...
> >but were able to build a supercomputer and get the throughput and
> >performance they need using nothing other than old 80386 and 80486
> >machines collected from the trash-heaps of other departments.
> >
> >Let's see you try that with Mafia$oft operating systems
> >
> >Oh...and notice that Macneil Schwindler Corporation, the vendor of the
> >most widely used Finite Element Analysis software is now advertising
> >for Linux-people to go around to their most computationally demanding
> >customer sites and install:
> >
> >               LINUX CLUSTERS
> >
> >...to run their high-end products.
> >
> >Why is that?
> >

> >>                           And even so, they're just competeing with
> >> Unix, for the most part. For the rest of the world, there's Windows.

> >> In terms of how the world uses computing, this is a small portion of it.
> >> Granted, it is the largest portion in terms of MIPS, but in terms of
> >> people using them, many more people use Windows every day for servers
> >> and desktops. Linux is still a niche OS.

> >> Not really. Bill goes after the big bucks, not some geeky niche.

> >> It's "Myers", fuckwit.
> >>
> >> <snip: html post>
> >>
> >> -c
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> The rest of this I agree with.
>
> Charlie

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.