  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:55:22 -0400

theRadical wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:15:10 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>The only way to prove it would be to reveal what platform I'm
> >>actually running.
> >
> >Yes, I realize that you have an excuse.  You always have SOME excuse
> >for just NOT "answering the damn question" when you bluff has been
> >called.
>
> next, kulkis will drop the thread and pretend the conversation never
> happened.  he is nothing than a tired little punk who lies and tries
> to intimidate.

You lose.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:55:47 -0400

theRadical wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:15:10 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>The only way to prove it would be to reveal what platform I'm
> >>actually running.
> >
> >Yes, I realize that you have an excuse.  You always have SOME excuse
> >for just NOT "answering the damn question" when you bluff has been
> >called.
>
> next, kulkis will drop the thread and pretend the conversation never
> happened.

You lose

>  he is nothing than a tired little punk who lies and tries
> to intimidate.

No, I'm an old war vet.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:55:56 -0400

theRadical wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:26:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical) wrote:

> >>Yes, I realize that you have an excuse.  You always have SOME excuse
> >>for just NOT "answering the damn question" when you bluff has been
> >>called.
> >
> >next, kulkis will drop the thread and pretend the conversation never
> >happened.  he is nothing than a tired little punk who lies and tries
> >to intimidate.
>
> should be: "nothing more than"

moron

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: 25 Apr 2001 10:36:43 -0500

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:41:11 -0400, JS PL <hieverybody!> wrote:

>"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message

>> > They don't. Users do not have the ability to install the burning
>software.
>
>> Ahh, so the system is "secure" because it's impossible for people to write
>> their own self-contained programs.  Yeah, that really restores my
>> confidence.
>
>So I am assuming that your no longer "terrified". Hopefully your terror has
>now been downgraded to "disturbed" by the knowlege that a user would have to
>sit down and hand code his own software in his determination to burn a CD on
>a system with no burning software installed? Art least with some sedatives
>you may finally be able to sleep at night now. I see that happen all the
>time BTW. It's becoming the scourge of the industry! Those damn users who
>have taken to writing their own software because their admin has set them up
>with a burner and there is no software installed. We should all call the DOJ
>and see what they are going to do about it!
>
>> Hint:  Win2K does *not* let normal users burn CDs with its default
>> settings.  Like Eric said, the administrator has to give users permission
>> to load the ASPI driver.  Thank goodness people like you don't actually
>> write software... *glances at IE5 and LookOut*  oh, wait...
>
>Hint: I already tried it and I *can* burn CD's as a "user" with default user
>settings. I didn't do anything except install the CDRWin software, create a
>new user, log in as that user and burn a CD.

remind us again what the heck is CDRWin and where to get it?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why can't the Browser be the GUI for Linux PC?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:05:44 -0400

nntp user wrote:

> Here is the $64M question: Why on one is making the Browser the unifying
> desktop GUI for the Linux PCs?
>
> Ask youself this question: Is there any thing KDE/GNOME can do that the
> Browser can not do?
> Remember, the old Mac's desktop GUI is called the Finder (get it?).
> Windows/Mac desktop GUI is not much more than a high level "disk browser"!
> For graphics, have the Browser support W3C's SVG/X3D. What else do you need?
> The Browser can interact with everything on the net and it can interact with
> anything on your local disks.
>
> --CW (thank me if Linux PC takes off with the Browser as its desktop GUI)

Seperating the browser from the desktop increases modularity, and
allows separate, alternative lines of development.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Joke:
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:06:42 GMT

How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: That's not funny!!

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:08:01 +0100

> I was advised not to use windows telnet for a session at Rice U. They
> advised downloading from rice.edu putty.exe, as it is superior to
> windows telnet. It allows one to set up the session to work as a good
> vt-400 series terminal emulator. I used telnet from Sun OS as well.
> Only I have to watch out for the backspace key... it moves the cursor to
> beginning of line instead of backspacing.  I have to use delete key
> instead.

The telnet program is slow and broken. It also doesn't support being
resized. Putty is very good.

What I really want to see (hell, I have to use windows sometimes and this
would make my life better) is Cygwin get their hands on the putty code
and use the putty terminal emulator instead of the wretched dos terminal
emulator. It would make windows a little closer to UNIX in usability.

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIcrosoft: Words, denial and WTF!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:07:42 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > > > So, before
> > you start swing from the chandlers, double check you

> > > It is a fancy light fitting.
> >
> > Not unless you're speaking Middle English.  In modern english, it's a
> > Chandelier.
>
> Sorry, my fault :(
>
> Posted the comments because I was boored shitless, esp. with Aarons
> anti-communist, anti-feminist anti-anthing-that-walks-by-him bullshit. I

I'm fed up with fucking parasites.

> was hoping he would finally drop the shit, which has sucked in a good
> number of people, get over his insecurities and get back to a real
> debate that is not off topic, but my plan back fired :( and more people
> are sucked into his debate.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> Disclaimer:
>
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Jan Vorbrueggen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.object,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.theory,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Impact of Internet
Date: 25 Apr 2001 18:07:48 +0200

Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> The internet, in a short time, has proven to be one of the best
> >> ways to communicate information ever developed in history. Was
> >> this why the guys at CERN developed it to begin with.
>
> CERN invented the Internet?? A short time ago???

Well, Tim Berners-Lee, working at CERN, invented HTML and what is now called
WWW. So it depends what the word "internet" means to you. For most of its
users, I would consider the statement to be at least two-thirds true.

        Jan

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:08:38 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nils Zonneveld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
>
>> I was advised not to use windows telnet for a session at Rice U. They
>> advised downloading from rice.edu putty.exe, as it is superior to
>> windows telnet.
>
> Putty works fine. Only you can't copy and paste stuff like you can in
> BetterTelnet (which I use on the Mac).

You can copy and paste stuff like you do in Xterms. Useful if you use
*nix most of the time.

-Ed

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:09:03 -0400

Jeffrey Boulier wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Nonsense.  Ward Christen (an IBM employee) was giving XMODEM away
> >> when RMS was still just an obnoxious, pretentious loudmouth.  Oh wait
> >> -- RMS is an obnoxious pretentious loudmouth to this day...
> >
> >IBM was giving code away in the 1950's?
>
> Quite possibly. Certainly OS/360 is open source. This is why, even today,
> you can run it on your Hercules mainframe emulator. (Or, presumably, under
> VM on the Real Thing.) (1)
>
> I don't know that much about IBM's pre-360 line of equipment, but in the
> Olden Dayes most computer vendors made the source code available for what
> little there was of their operating systems.

Wrong.  In the 1960's, if a non-IBM programmer wrote even a single line
of code on your IBM/360, it voided the warranty.

This is one of a multitude of reasons why IBM was in court just as much
as Microsoft is today.

>                         Yours Truly,
>                         Jeffrey Boulier
>
> --