From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 01:28:58 GMT

In our last episode (Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:28:19 +0400),
the artist formerly known as Jan Schaumann said:
>"Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>The most portable document format is PDF (Portable Document FOrmat -
>>>D'uh). RTF is not half as portable.
>>
>> Great. Let's see you "port" a PDF document into Word 97.
>
>See <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> further below.
>
>Opening one document-type with an application that is not intended to
>handle that type can not produce the correct output.
>
>*You* try opening a word-document with xv.

The point, which should be underlined by virtue of the Subject: line
above that asks
  "Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?"
is whether there is something sufficiently analagous to MS Word.

One of the properties of MS Word is that it is used to read, view,
_AND MODIFY_ documents prepared using the formats that it accepts.

PDF is about as near to a "read-only" format as you can get; once a
document has been distilled into PDF form, it is decidedly _NOT_
modifiable.

When the original topic was that of interoperability with MS Word, I
don't think it is particularly off-topic to wonder if a format being
proposed happens to be readable by MS Word.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@" "hex.net")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/wp.html>

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which database server? MySQL, Interbase or PostGres?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:33:13 -0400

David Brown wrote:

> We are putting together a web application which makes use of a database.
> The prototype is running on WinNT, using Apache, Interbase and PHP4 for
> scripting.  The finished system will almost certainly be running Linux (I
> might consider FreeBSD, but I am more familiar with Linux).  As far as I
> know, there are three free database servers for Linux (and NT - it is very
> helpful that both Linux and NT ports are available): MySQL, Interbase and
> PostGres.  I choose Interbase first as I am also using Delphi, so I had an
> old version on the PC already.
>
> Are there any particular benifits and disadvantages of these three DBMS's?
> Are there any others available that I should consider?  Money is definitely
> an issue, so I would prefer to avoid a commercial package unless there are
> overwhelming reasons.  The application is unlikely to have to deal with many
> simultaneous users for reading, and only ever one user at a time for
> updating the data, but some of the pages will involve extracting and
> analysing large quantities of data.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

I don't know much about Interbase, what is it?

I have had some experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL. I would use
Postgres. A lot of people use MySQL and love it, but while I would not
call myself a SQL expert, I have always hit a limitation with MySQL that
has forced me to use something else. I don't even bother with MySQL
anymore.

Postgres is plenty fast when indexes are applied only when needed.
Postgres also has functions, triggers, transations, and state integrity
during operations. 7.x is pretty darn fast these days too.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Malmat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:43:23 -0400

Perhaps you mean to say:

"Linux lags behind Windows because not all of its versions are unstable.

That is, a great deal of effort would have to be expended to bring all of
those versions to a higher level of instability before you could reasonably
say that Linux has 'caught up' to Windows' instability" ?

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 2000 6:06 PM

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gardiner Family) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>In the case of Linux, include the version number, ie, Linux 2.2.16 lags
>behind windows 2000, then people will know what areas you are talking
>about and whether it is recycled MS bullshit.

Since the statement:

'Simply say "Windows is unstable". This applies to all flavors, all
versions, all releases.'

pretty much covers all versions of Windows, why do you think I said 'Linux
lags behind Windows' without qualifying my statement?

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: portable document formats [was: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:44:35 +0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In our last episode (Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:28:19 +0400), the artist
> formerly known as Jan Schaumann said:

>>> Great. Let's see you "port" a PDF document into Word 97.
>>
>>See <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> further below.
>>
>>Opening one document-type with an application that is not intended to
>>handle that type can not produce the correct output.
>>
>>*You* try opening a word-document with xv.
>
> The point, which should be underlined by virtue of the Subject: line
> above that asks
>   "Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?"
> is whether there is something sufficiently analagous to MS Word.
>
> One of the properties of MS Word is that it is used to read, view,
> _AND MODIFY_ documents prepared using the formats that it accepts.
>
> PDF is about as near to a "read-only" format as you can get; once a
> document has been distilled into PDF form, it is decidedly _NOT_
> modifiable.
>
> When the original topic was that of interoperability with MS Word, I
> don't think it is particularly off-topic to wonder if a format being
> proposed happens to be readable by MS Word.

You are right in that far as that the Subject line should have changed a
long long time ago. When I proposed pdf to be a more portable document
format than rtf, the subject was "protable document formats" and not
whether or not one can open adn edit pdf's with word.

I think the entire thread is rather interesting, but it should have
gotten some subject-renamings so that people who did not read the entire
thread (as you, I presume) know what's going on and we do not have to
have this discussion again.

And just for you, here is another thing that has been said somewhere else
in this thread:
there is NOTHING that is 100% compatible with MS-WORD. Not even
MS-WORD, since it keeps updating itself, rendering older version
incompatible. If you need 100% compatibility with MS-WORD, use MS-WORD.
It's a propiretairy (sp?) format, NOT  a standard.

And now, please read the rest of this thread before replying to this
posting.

Cheers,
-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Please add smileys where appropriate.

------------------------------

From: Haoyu Meng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 challenges GNOME/KDE
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:07:45 GMT

Thank you! Couldn't've said it better.

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of MS Windows Dominated World?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:13:30 -0700

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bailey/Davis wrote:
>
> > I am writing a paper for a college class on the topic of "The Pros and
> > Cons of a MS Windows Dominated World" from a "raw" perspective (i.e.
> > Usenet and email listserve).  I am interested in whether the market
> > created the best (fast, efficient)  hardware/software products in light
> > of MS Windows dominance.
> >
> > If interested, please send your ideas or thoughts on this topic directly
> > to me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  I will post a summary of the results
> > later.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ed
>
> CON's  =
>
> #1.  Microsoft has a competitive advantage over others in the applications
> market.

Yes. For the most part their Office Applications are better.

> #2.  A Major security risk on the internet.

Well ... the biggest hack on the Internet was the Unix worm. And most people
spend their time trying to break into Linux boxes because they are easiest
to get into out of the box.

In fact, if you read about most hacks they have to do with Perl shopping
cart applications.

> #3.  Closed Source.

See #2. Open source means the source code is available for all hackers to
peruse. Scary.

> #4.  Non-GPL licensed code!

Yes. They believe in free enterprise, not free software. It's amazing how
many people are short sighted enough to give away their time so Linus
Torvald can make money off of Transmeta Linux.

>        Because it's copy-righted code,
>        companies like Hewlett Packard and IBM are not very likely
>        to dump their brains into a Microsoft Kernel.  The GPL guarantees
>        everybody equal and unrestricted access to the code.
>        Microsoft has 37,000 paid employee's versus Linux's 200,000
>        free lancing, free contributing programmer/analysts.
>         By using Microsoft you will be guaranteed the HIND END
>        of technology.  You will always be running on obsolete hardware
>         as they simply can't keep up with the needed coding changes.
>        Microsoft can't compete with Linux - example in the IA64 project
>        where HP donates code to GNU/LINUX IA64 to put it over a
>        year ahead of Microsoft in getting a ready OS.  Linux is ready
>        for IA64 right now - see redhat ftp site!  Microsoft will not
>        be ready until late next year!

Thats ok. Even HP has lately admitted IA-64 is a prototype and will never
actually be in production of any scale.

Who wants a 750mhz box with 128k cache when they can buy 1500mhz SMP AMD
boxes by Christmas and Hammer  boxes at 2ghz next year?

> #5.  The cost.  At Microsoft's current rate of inflation, by 2005 the
>        cost of the Microsoft operating system will be over $1,000 a copy.

Hmmm. Linux people have math problems.Besides, I see Red Hat plans to sell
people Red Hat subscriptions that will make it more expense than Win2k.

>        And at that time, the US court system will break Microsoft into
>        two separate companies, one the OS company and one the applications
>        company.  This will cause you to have to BUY your Microsoft
>        Operating system rather than just have it handed to you on your new
PC.

Well, I wouldn't bet real money a Microsoft breakup.

> #6.  The upgrade problem.  In not one instance, since the inception of the
>        company has Microsoft recommended you stick with last OS's
> applications
>        when you upgrade your OS.

Everything ran pretty good on Win2K when I upgraded without changing any
applications at all.

In fact, a lot of games that wouldn't work on NT now work just fine on
Win2k.

I know you are just envious of the fact that Microsft plans to unfork
Windows with Whistler while people twiddle their thmbs waiting for the 2.4
kernel to come out knowing full wwll that forking in Samba and other
applications is inevitable.

Say ... has Linus ever admitted how much stock he owns in Transmeta? ANn how
much money you've made him by working on Transmeta Linux for free? Suckers.

------------------------------

From: Haoyu Meng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:14:52 GMT

You have a valid point. For people on a budget, Linux could seem attractive.
Shelling out $200 for Win2k and another $500 for office might be prohibitively
expensive for some if not many. I was never conscious of this issue because the
university I went to had a lisence agreement with Microsoft, so I got my copy of
Windows2000, Office2000, and DevStudio7 for only $5 a piece.

KDE 2.0 is definitely a significant step in the right direction for populating
Linux onto business desktop. On balance, I would much prefer Linux/KDE2 over
Win98/95. But the overall rating combining stability, usability, and software
support, Win2k edges out over Linux -- that's my personal opinion.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.imux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help for new Linux users
Date: 20 Oct 2000 02:18:05 GMT

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:41:46 GMT, Ken Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am a Linux user and advocate...
> I am a former Windows user myself...
> I want to help other Windows users convert to Linux.
> I feel that this forum and others like it are poorly suited to this
> purpose.
> Most Windows users don't read manuals and aren't programmers and
> therefore...
> Answers like "RTFM", "Have you read the FAQs?", and "Just re-compile the
> kernel"...
> Are not good answers for Windows users trying Linux for the first time.
> This isn't helpful, feels like an attack, and drives these folks away...

If Linux is about anything, it's about choice.  But the opportunities that
choice provides come at a price - Linux users have the responsibility to be
better informed and more involved than users of Windows, which offers choice
mostly only at a superficial level.  Anyone who is unwilling to read a FAQ
or HOWTO, in order to find answers, should not, IMO, get involved with
Linux.

Even _with_ responsibility and involvement as entry criteria, BTW, c.o.l.m
is a VERY busy newsgroup.  Clearly, there is not much spare bandwidth here
for tire-kickers.

> Which is not good for Linux in the short term or long run.

Why?  Linux has a very well established user base.  Not everyone has to, or
should, run Linux.  I believe that most Linux users would embrace that view.

> If you feel the same way, and are knowledgeable about Linux...
> And can spend a little time answering questions...
> And don't mind answering simple questions...
> Don't mind answering them repeatedly...
> And can do it without anger, contempt, egotism, condescendence, etc...
> Please e-mail me so we can create a place condusive to the goal...
> Of helping average Window users try Linux and convert to Linux.

I, for one, have learned lots from this ng, most of it by lurking and paying
attention.  Nobody here is unwilling to help.  Most _love_ to help.
Sometimes, though, tough love is called for.

-jeff

------------------------------

From: "Ari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:26:33 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...>

<snip>
 > Software is the #1 budget item in every company in the world today.
>
> http://24.94.254.33/Linux/intro.html
>
> Charlie

Hosting a web site on your home machine...brilliant idea :) Hope you have
everything configured correctly...

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:35:28 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MwCH5.13032$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Les... if your knowledge is so bountiful... why not list some of these
apps
> > that were deliberately crippled then.
> >
> > Come on. You can do it. Your amazing oracular knowledge and brain the
size
> > of a Mercury Lynx should be able to provide at least *ONE*.
>
> I'll go ahead and answer this one with the Standard List of Microsoft
Crippled
> Applications from Chapter 5, page 4,292 from the "Penguinista's Guide to
Bashing
> Microsoft".
>
> 1 Dr DOS (with Windows incompatibilities)
> 2 Lotus 123 (Windows)
> 3 Lotus Notes (NT4 SP6)
> 4 Novell NetWare Client *.*
> 5 Netscape Navigator

This is way late in the game.  I thought we were talking about the
'DOS isn't done ...' phase.   How about a list of all the things
that broke with DOS 4.0?  Remember, the one where, after
coasting for years, MS tried to match a few of the innovations
from DrDOS and failed badly.  I forget whether they even
tried compression with that version or if the unpleasant business
with Stac happened in 5.0 where at least a few things actually worked.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:38:21 GMT

Very well put.

Claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Linux is great.
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:41:45 GMT

Yea....Real great descriptions like:

"A Cool Biff Clone"

Or:
     "This is alpha level software and may produce unpredictable
results"

So is Linux.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: who's WHINING dipshit!
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:47:41 GMT

"JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Don't tell me how to fix the shortcomings of Linux. Tell me when they have
> package out that will see all available memory by itself, with no input
from
> me and no searching through one and a half million man pages!
> Once again, and I'll type this slow because I know your not too swift - I
do
> not want to edit SHIT! I will continue to use the OS that handles basic
> hardware automatically.

Just give it hardware with the standard bios functions.

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:44:22 -0700

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QbOH5.10137$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> This is way late in the game.  I thought we were talking about the
> 'DOS isn't done ...' phase.   How about a list of all the things
> that broke with DOS 4.0?  Remember, the one where, after
> coasting for years, MS tried to match a few of the innovations
> from DrDOS and failed badly.  I forget whether they even
> tried compression with that version or if the unpleasant business
> with Stac happened in 5.0 where at least a few things actually worked.

Ah... the Lemon version of DOS. :)

I thought compression came in with 5.0. And, before anyone says it, no they
didn't steal Stac's code. They infringed their compression algorithm
patent -- which, as you'll read on Slashdot, isn't exactly difficult in the
computer industry.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:54:45 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Exactly....
>
> Typical Linonut semantics again..When will they ever learn..
>
> claire

Correct semantics are important.   But if you deal with that other
company I can understand why that would surprise you...

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:59:45 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9mCH5.13026$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I've done that on the second of three installs, it still shows 66mb
when the
> > > install is complete. I also have a pretty good feeling that just
typing
> > > mem=256M will not magically work if it doesn't already see the maximum
> > > amount available.
> >
> > You have an awnser to your problem, but your not interested in it. Why
> > bother to ask?
>
> Are you penguinistas so devoid of common sense that you cannoy see the
> obvious?
>
> Who's the leading seller of buisiness PCs?  Dell? If not, Compaq, right?
>
> Let's talk about Dell then...
>
> What's Dell's leading PC? The OptiPlex line And/Or the Dimension line?
>
> The Dimensions and the OptiPlexes range form Celerons at the low
> end to PIIIs at the high end.
>
> The Celeron boxes all use the 810 or 810e chipset, and the PIIIs use
> the 815 or 815e chipset, which isn't too much different.
>
> Shall I now explain to you why water is wet?

No, but you might mention whether the bios in all of these boxes
misreport the memory size if that is what you are trying to imply.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A classic example of unfriendly Linux
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:04:48 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> IceCap is not a firewall. It is a tool that allows central management
> of BlackIce. And like the Linonuts love to say when the weekly dirty
> laundry list appears from the various security groups "there are
> patches to plug the hole".
>
> next.
>
> claire

But you still haven't explained how you came by this obscure bit of
knowledge. I thought you were suggesting that following the simple
instructions that come with a Linux distribution is somehow difficult
and this was supposed to be easier.