Linux-Advocacy Digest #836, Volume #29           Mon, 23 Oct 00 21:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: The Linux Experience (Steve Mading)
  Re: Netscape(4.x) for Linux (Steve Mading)
  Re: D&D Master Tools port to MacOS and Linux (Steve Mading)
  Re: Run for the hills! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Drestin Black")
  Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux. (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Gallup site down, Call Microsoft support (lyttlec)
  Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux. (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux Beats NT! (Daniel Tryba)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux. (Steve Mading)
  Re: ReiserFS ("Scaramanga")
  Re: who's WHINING dipshit! (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Richard)
  Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake (FM)

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:01:58 GMT

Haoyu Meng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Linux is not ready for the desktop. Functionality offered by KDE/GNOME is
: relatively imature and unstable, compared to Windows, especially Windows2000.
: GNOME and KDE crash way too often, is slow unless used under root account, and
: has almost no cross-application integration (ActiveX).

: I use many Linux boxes to do data intensive batch jobs. Another friend of mine
: use a personal farm of about 10 identical Linux boxes to do data-mining and
: spamming.
: There is definitely use for Linux, just not on the desktop -- yet.

There is no such thing as "THE" desktop.  Different users have different
needs.  I will admit that for *most* users (not programmers), Linux is
sub-optimal for the desktop (for now, this is changing slowly), but Linux
is excellent for *my* desktop, where the important thing is the ability
to have 10 different terminals up, with a keyboard focus policy that lets
me type into one of them that's not on top, and a powerful text editor
in most of them (Vim in my case, although I'm not "religious" about it,
Emacs would do just as well if I had spent as much time using it as
I had using vi).

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape(4.x) for Linux
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:05:42 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Hello

: Can anybody help me out?

: Apparantly, My key-trapping events dont work in Netscape(4.x) for Linux.
: But the same thing works fine in Netscape for Windows.

: What could be the possible screw up.

Eh?  Not enough information.  I have seen where Linux Netscape won't
pay attention to the up/down arrow scrolling until you've clicked into
the html display pane somewhere, if that's what you are talking about.
This wouldn't be as noticable in Windows, where you always click to
focus anyway.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: D&D Master Tools port to MacOS and Linux
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:07:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Patrick Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Q: What is the D&D Master Tools?

: A: The Master Tools is a utility designed to create adventures and adventure
: elements (characters, NPCs, monsters, encounter lists, treasure, random
: charts, etc.) for the D&D tabletop game.

: Q: Will there be a Mac or Linux version?

: A: We'd like to hear from the user community before we decide to do a port.
: If you want to add your name to a petition for a Mac or Linux version, go
: to: http://www.extremesims.com/petition.htm.

What about that character generator - is that going to port too?

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run for the hills!
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:09:37 GMT

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Okay, so now you half to B a sysadmin just to use a VCR, thanks to
: LIE-NUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snip]

Are you actually dumb enough to think that 695 exclamation points makes the
point better than one does?

What a maroon.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: 23 Oct 2000 19:13:14 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8t2feb$qva$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<snip>--
> Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
> Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 60 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 10/23/00)

Say - did you notice this from that site?

http://counter.li.org/estimates.html

This guy estimates 15 million linux users ... (and he doesn't presume to be
psychic and determine if they are satisified or if they downloaded it and
never finished installing it)

Time to get recalibrated again...

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux.
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:15:57 GMT

2:1 wrote:

> > > I decided to do a major upgrade of software on my computer yesterday. I
> > > finally decided to install glibc2.1 because I have a new versionm of
> > > Xevil which doesn't crash under glibc2.1.
> >
> > I would like to know what version of RedHat are you upgrading from?
>
> A modified RedHat 5.2 I've had it quite a while and the xdm, rc, inittab
> scripts got modified. I've also installed new software and a new kernel.

Okay.

> > > I decided to start with xmms.
> > >
> > > I didn't have any `nice' package management tools like kpackage or the
> > > GNOME equivalent, since I neither had KDE or GNOME. All I had was the
> > > GUI RedHat package manager and the rpm command (I opted for the latter).
> > >
> > > The first (minor) problem was with dependencies. When trying to upgrade
> > > a package, the dependencies were generally listed in terms of which
> > > libraries (or other files) were needed, not which packages were needed.
> > > This problem was easily solved by taking a list of the contents of every
> > > package on the CD, and searching for the relavent librariies.
> > >
> > > The main problem with the dependencies was the bizare trail of
> > > dependencies which was needed to install xmms. According to rpm, after
> > > following every dependency, I needed a new kernel to install xmms.
> > > Okay....
> > > (as it was, I already had the new kernel installd from a source tarball,
> > > bit rpm didn't know about this)
> > >
> > > The problem, I think is that all the dependencies are not as sensible as
> > > they should be. For instance, XFree 3.3.6-20 needed xfs to go with it.
> > > This is no problem. The problem lies in xfs needing a new set of
> > > initscripts. This is plain stupid. Why can't xfs put the relavent script
> > > in /etc/rc.d/init.d and run chkconfig on it? In hind sight, I should
> > > have realised this and done more by hand, but what actually happened is
> > > that I installed a new load of initscripts, which wrecked my
> > > configurations which I had slowly built up over time.
> > > On the plus side, all the overwritten files were saved automatically by
> > > rpm, so it hasn't been too difficult to restore the system so far.
> > >

> > Yeah, well this is nothing new.  They made the RPM system so
> > people could follow it.  If you untar some files and roll your own
> > then your not using the RPM system.  And you take the
> > responsibility for that.
> >
> > So okay so far.
> >

> > > Going further down the tree of dependencies, new newt libraries needed
> > > to be installed. rpm wouldn't let me upgrade or install the packages
> > > because existing files depended on the old libraries. What I don't
> > > understand is why it wouldn't install new libraries, whilst leaving the
> > > old ones in place (I made it do that after some fiddling).
> > >

> > It can but this is NOT recommended.  You can cause yourself
> > some nasty run time dependency problems doing this.
>
> It shouldn't cause runtime problems. I want to be able to upgrade my
> system in parts whilst not breaking too much. This has prooven possible,
> but a little awkward with rpm. Note, it was possible.

Well, RedHat didn't think so.  A difference of opinion there.

> > > In conclsion, I now have a nice RH6.2 iso image on my hard disk and
> > > quite a few new toys installed. The main problems, as far as I can see
> > > them is that the dependencies in the rpms supplied by redhat are not as
> > > sensible as they could have been: if i didnt have to install new
> > > initscripts, I wouldn't have had to worry about newt. I am a competent
> > > user and willing to try, but it turned out to be quite akward to do a
> > > custom upgrade (I didn't want to go the whole hog) and it disabled most
> > > of my custom configurations.
> > >

> > I disagree.
>
> I think they could have made more effort to make upgrading easier. I've
> been studying the /etc/rc.d directory: the new initscripts have some new
> functions in them, that they didn't before, which is why xfs needed a
> whole new set of initscripts just to install it.
>
> Esentially, they replaced
>
> echo -n "Starting the font server..."
> daemon /usr/X11/bin/xfs
>
> with
>
> action "Starting the font server" /usr/X11/bin/xfs
>
> This small change made me install a whole new load if initsctipts, which
> needed some fixing in a non-obvious way to make the system shut dowm
> properly.
> Secondly, they removed the daemon command which broke my old
> initscripts.
>
> I wouldn't have minded so much if it hadn't broken the shutdown, and
> left a (depraceted) daemon command in for legacy support.

Oh, I still don't think so.  You could have just upgraded the entire thing
and been happy anyway.

Again.  If you want Slackware, run Slackware.

> > If you want slackware then run slackware.
> > This is what slackware is all about.
>
> I started off with RH, because that was the only one I could get. I
> don't want to reinstall the OS to get what I want.

I don't get these two lines.  I'm sure they made sense to
you when you typed them but I don't get this.

> > > What I will say about the package system is that it wouldn't let me
> > > break anything in the install process, unless I forced it to.
> >
> > And that's the key word.  You wanted to "BREAK IT".
>
> I was touting this as a Good Thing (TM).

Okay.

> > Being a Mandrake and Debian user, I can say the Debian package management
> > system
> > is far superior to RPM in the dependency department,,, BY FAR SUPERIOR.
>
> In what ways?

Oh, if you have a dependency problem it makes suggested selections
to solve the dependency.

Say I choose to install program Y.  And program Y depends on
A and B and C.  Apt-Get will select A and B and C for you.

RPM just says A, B, and C needed.   It won't go and get them
for you.

Further, Apt-Get performs the function the dselect of verifying
the packages said installed are ACTUALLY INSTALLED.
It doesn't just read them from a list and leave it to that.
It goes out and verify's the whole thing.

> > Yet it WON'T allow you to BREAK things either unless you run it manually
> > and force the command.
> rpm wouldn't generally, except I can't shut down properly, still.

Don't know what to say.  RPM isn't perfect.

> > But why people WANT to break things bothers me.
> >
> > Why on earth do you WANT to BREAK your system?
> >
> > What is the advantage in doing so?
>
> If you have done customisation, RHs idea of an upgrade is no longer the
> same as yours. I wanted to keep all my old settings and inventions.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
> binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer
> first general purpose computer (the Z3) and the first   | u98ejr@
> commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

I really think you need Debian.
Why don't you build some 2.2 Potato disks and give this a try.
I think you will be pleasently surprised.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: lyttlec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gallup site down, Call Microsoft support
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:18:47 GMT

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> > Build under gcc on linux gave me the expected results. VC++ under
> >windows 95 gave me the *runtime* failure message of "Program
> >C:\...\testaloc.exe Invalid allocation size: 4294967295 bytes." So I
> >guess Windows can't recover from memory allocation errors (suprise!).
>
> What is the result under NT and Win2K or even win98 and winme - maybe it's
> been fixed since 1995 (unlikely but you never know) - also what does it do
> on a 1995 vintage linux (pre 2.0 kernel probably in those days)?
I tried it under NT. Same results. I also found that it would claim to
successfully allocate 469,762,048 bytes of memory on a system with 128M
ram. It takes a while and every thing hangs until it is done. This led
me into finding lots of new (for me) ways to crash NT :)

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:19:18 GMT

mmnnoo wrote:

> *sometimes* you can just use --nodeps and get away with it.
>
> I just switched over to debian and I really like it so far.  The package
> manager is very advanced imho; similar to what RedHat is going
> to introduce but charge for, and what you could never do in
> Windows because of the legal impossibility of getting your os
> and all apps in one place.
>
> Also I am getting turned off by RedHat.  It just doesn't seem to
> represent my needs.  Like all their custom gui setup tools that don't
> give you the setting you want, yet the config file now says
> "Warning: don't hand-edit this file!  It'll break our gui!"
> That was a shocker.  No thanks.
>
> Maybe debian wouldn't be best for a desktop machine because
> of its slow update cycle, but for my headless home server it's great.
>
> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> > Does anyone have any better ideas how it could be done in Linux. I've
> > heard about the deb system, but never seen it in action.
> >
> > -Ed
> <snip>

Debian is the OS you'd select if you like riding the WAVE.
Riding unstable in Debian is exciting.

And their stable is hard to beat.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:20:04 GMT

neJ wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:46:42 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-21-017-06-NW-CY-MS
>
> The above story has been *unposted*???  What's the deal??

It sure looks that way.

------------------------------

From: Daniel Tryba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Beats NT!
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:21:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here is Linux surging ahead by over 400% during a 29 day moving average:
> http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/os-graphs.html#Linux

>From 10% in june 2000 to 45% in okt 2000. Okay that's a 400% increase.

> while NT suffers a 50% drop over the same period:
> http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/os-graphs.html#NT

>From a peak of 75% in june 2000 to about 40% in okt 2000. It's a little
less than 50% drop.

> Here you can see that NT is declining steadily (mostly due to shifts from
> NT4 to W2K) while Linux increases dramatically:
> http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/os-graphs.html#OSTOT1

According to
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/graphs/cumulative.gif
NT is still rising, although slower than Linux.

> === Of course, we're talking about website defacements ===

Always fun 8-)

> Of course, Attrition.org very intentionally combines NT with W2K so as to
> make it look like nothing has changed - when in fact if they were charting
> W2K seperately it would have THE lowest number of defacements of ALL OSes
> they track. But, they wouldn't do that, no... <sarcasm>that would make it
> look like <gasp> W2K is secure!</sarcasm>

Maybe because there is a relativly small marker share using W2k?
Most numbers used on these pages are relative to the marketshare.
According to netcraft (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/) Apaches
marketshare is about 3times the marketshare of IIS.
According to
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/graphs/mav_vuln.gif
the defacements per day of Linux are just a bit higher than IIS. If the
defacements were evenly distributed across the market the number of
Apache defacements should be about 3 times as high as the number of IIS.

Looks to me like you should brush up on your statistics 8-)

> Yep, finally documented proof of a category where Linux is taking over the
> MS share...

Hardly proof. Although it's kind of scary to see the apaceh defacements
rise so high in a short notice.

> Oh, Apache vs IIS?
> http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/webserver-graphs.html#ALLGRAPHS

> Looks like Apache wins that race too...

> And as more people convert to W2K/IIS5 we'll continue to see this shift...

What's the marketshare of IIS5? But maybe you are right. Time will tell.

--

Daniel Tryba

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:21:48 GMT

"David M. Butler" wrote:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
> > Hey.  That's an excellent point.
> > Linux stat's are showing a massive Microsoft beating
> > and YET they have had a smaller percentage of Linux
> > users come in and stat for them.
> >
> > This means the figures for Linux's growth are even
> > greater than posted.  How much greater is anybody's
> > speculation but certainly greater than that posted.
> >
> > Very good.
>
> Uhm.  Ouch.  My head.  What the hell did you just say??!?!  I'm having
> difficulty discovering where you arrived at that assumption, and even
> greater difficulty deciphering your explaination...
>
> D. Butler (ouch...)

Oh I was saying the man posted crap.

Thanks

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:23:29 -0400

Relax wrote:

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >
> > >As mlw rightfully points out, graphics are needed for printing. Probably
> > >also for Terminal Services since apps runs on the server.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > They are not needed for printing on UNIX, why are they needed for printing
> > on windows?
>
> Probably because Windows [NT/2000] printing is a little more than a screen
> dump. Printing is device independent and the rendering is done on the
> computer where the printer driver and the printer itself resides.

Printing *.dvi files is also device independent, but dvips will work
in console mode.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:29:03 GMT

FM wrote:

> Hi. I've been hearing that Debian's package management system
> is much superior to RPM. To what degree is this true?

Very

> How do
> they compare in terms of availability of packages?

Debian has more.

> Is it, for
> example, possible to convert an RPM package to a DEB package?

Use Alien.

> What other benefits does Debian offer over commercial distros
> such as RedHat/Mandrake?

It's not a commerical distribution.

> It's been quite a long time since the
> last time I compared the distributions and I would appreciate
> any information/opinions on this.
>
> TIA.
>
> Dan.

Why don't you go to http://www.debian.org and just put in on your
machine.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:20:11 GMT

Idoia Sainz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:    Although some of you would consider me a Wintroll, I am
: not typing here as one (just as GNU/Linux user), just to say
: that another thing I don't really like about Redhat is putting
: all of the packages at /usr (instead of using /opt for things
: like GNOME, KDE or Netscape).

Actually, that's something I like about redhat vs the others, since
I like to partition "root" space on a different area than /usr space.
Adding an /opt space means I need three partitions if I want to keep
doing that (or the ability to set a symlink *before* the installation
begins, not as an ugly clean-up afterward).

Oh, if anyone out there who writes distro installs is listening in,
I think that such a feature would be a really good idea.  On the same
screen that you use to lay out your partition scheme and mount points,
provide a way for the person doing the install to ask for symlink
points too, so he can *really* set it up the way he wants, right the
first time, like so for example:

    /    on partition foo
    /tmp on partition bar
    /usr on partition baz
    /opt --->links to--->/usr/optdir  (so it's on baz too)

Also nice would be a way to provide "local" homes for pseudousers,
in one dir, and network homes for network users in another dir,
at install time.

------------------------------

From: "Scaramanga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ReiserFS
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 01:29:08 +0000

>       ... a) does the kernel include Reiser nowadays ?
cos ReiserFS is a lot faster, and a lot more efficient than the alternatives,
its also 'buzzword compliant' and makes the distributors sell more copies :)

>       ... b) doesn't each distro include the possibility of installing
>               or upgrading over a Reiser filesystem ?
they do, its called mke2fs, and i belive you can choose what FS to use fo each
partition during the install proccess. If not, use a different distro, u really
do need to control whats going on during the partition step.

--
// Scaramanga

www.geek-ware.co.uk - v0rsprung gEEk tEknEEQ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: who's WHINING dipshit!
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:43:44 GMT

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:06:46 GMT, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Is the Matrox G400 FINALLY fully supported under Linux, or is it
>> > still single head only support?

[somebody says X isn't Linux]

>What comes in the box at the store or the ISO image they download is
>all linux to most folks.

That's true.  And what comes in the box with all current distos will
support the G400 for "most folks" the vast majority of whom do not have
a multi-headed video setup of any kind.  And if you do have such a
seutp, you probably aren't "most folks" (as you call them) and can
figure out how to get an upgrade or have your vendor do it for you.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:43:48 GMT

On 23 Oct 2000 18:34:17 -0500, Relax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You still need the X Client subsystem - some sort of (remote) graphical
>device interface - for your app to run. So, actually, there IS a graphic
>subsystem on the server in your example.

Yes, of course, on the X server, that which has the display and
keyboard attached, you need a graphic subsystem.  But the client does
not need such at all.

You've got the terminology backward.  X "serves" the display, keyboard,
and mouse to the client program, which may be running on another
machine.

Anyway, the client machine, where the program runs, does not need any
display hardware or drivers at all, only the X libraries, which are
just normal shared libraries running in user mode.  So, you can run X
apps from your web server and display them on other machines without
said web server needing to have any graphics hardware or drivers at
all.

>The only problem is that it is pixel based and completely device
>dependant, GDI is not.

I guess that explains why so many GDI calls take coordinates in device
units.  Thanks for clearing that up.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:49:02 GMT

Drestin Black wrote:

> speaks volumes doesn't it...
>
> Sounds like just the kind of post Ebert would use to support his lies.
>
> "neJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:46:42 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-21-017-06-NW-CY-MS
> >
> > The above story has been *unposted*???  What's the deal??

What!

http://counter.li.org/

http://www.koehntopp.de/kris/msad.jpg

are still here.

I guess are lies also?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:50:47 GMT

No he's not.

FreeBSD certainly has a FAST system.
And yes, it's faster than 2.2 Linux and
it still have a slight edge over 2.4 Linux
in performance.

The problem with FreeBSD is the license.

BSDI could make this whole thing private
at the drop of a hat.

And that's the problem I have with it.

That's the ONLY problem I have with it.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:53:38 GMT

Nick Condon wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Java is impossible to teach to most people. Even Smalltalk
> > isn't as simple as it could be because of classes. So that
> > makes "reasonably good" strictly relative to programmers.
>
> Fancy that. A programming language that's only good for programmers.

And of course, nobody ever needs to program except the class of
people who are *currently* known as programmers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Date: 24 Oct 2000 00:53:16 GMT

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> It's been quite a long time since the
>> last time I compared the distributions and I would appreciate
>> any information/opinions on this.

>Why don't you go to http://www.debian.org and just put in on your
>machine.

Well, it would take a considerable amount of time to
get used to and stabilize/customize. It might not, but
that's not something I want to bet my time on while
I'm still fairly busy. I also need to use the system
in the meantime. Also, the extent to which I can
determine the relative worth of a system in a short
perid of time is very limited.