From: Terje Mathisen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:17:52 +0200

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
[extremely long post, most snipped]
> circuits.  Novell developed SPX, the equivalent of TCP, for when
> "reliability" was essential, but rarely used it for anything outside
> control 'channels', typically admin interfaces running on client PCs to
> control the server configuration.

The really bad part of SPX was that the window size field was defined,
but never allowed to have any value above 1.

> The "single packet fixed window" of IPX was fixed with something called
> "burst mode", developed in the mid-to-late 90s.

This is wrong, burst mode was added to the NCP (file) io layer, not to
the underlying transmission protocol. This made burst mode more
efficient, but much less universally applicable.

> As far as "address space" goes, another efficiency of the presumptions
> made by Novell is that no ARP mechanism was necessary.  Unlike the 'any
> to any' software model of the TCP/IP world, in which the host may very
> well run multiple client and multiple server programs simultaneously,
> the Netware model presumed that PCs (at the time, non-multitasking)
> would act as both client and server.  No Unix mini-computer type systems
> necessary!  This meant that it could be presumed that client computers
> would only talk to server computers.  Clients would never talk to each
> other, and for the most part, neither would servers.

This is also wrong, as any node, not only NetWare file servers could act
as a logical server. This only meant that the node would advertize it's
local address as a server of some particular type.

I wrote a print server for NetWare, the first version was for NetWare
2.0a, i.e. a _long_ time ago. A little later I added the capability of
using any slave printer attached to a 'client' PC as a network printer.

The code to do this was based directly on the Event Control Blocks (ECB)
used to control IPX packet send & receive. With a double-buffered
approach, and an interrupt-driven printer device driver, this used a
total of 1600+ bytes of code, data & stack space. It would have been
very hard to do the same with tcpip.

Terje
--
- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of MS Windows Dominated World?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:38:56 -0700

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:D_EK5.12087$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:NeuK5.115713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > They hired Linus because he is an expert programmer.  The Transmeta
CPUs
> > > make use of a software translation layer, and for that they need
> > programmers
> > > who know all about the x86 chips.  They may also have hired him for
> > prestige
> > > and publicity reasons.
> >
> > Wrong. Transmeta wants to be THE embedded chip company. They needed an
> > embedded operating system.
> >
> > Their embedded OS is Mobile Linux. Guess who helped them write it?
Linus.

This is all I know for sure .... http://www.transmeta.com/about/faq.html#Q20

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Hullo, Claire, James? Here's another dork for you
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:43:48 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:51:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You post an entire YEARS worth of security problems with Windows.
>
>I post ONE WEEKS worth with Linux, and my list is still longer than
>yours.

If you were to subscribe to BugTraq for a period of time, you would
quickly discover that Windows does not have significantly fewer
security problems than Linux.  To think otherwise is to stick one's
head in the sand.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Why don't I use Linux?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:43:49 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:37:20 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why don't I use Linux? Lack of hardware support for my sound card, for
>one thing.

Not directly related, as the actual drivers are a lower-level thing,
but KDE2 has made an effort to create a standard sound-device
interface that includes network transparency.  You might want to check
it out.  Distributions should be shipping with KDE2 pretty soon.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:05:36 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:V5CK5.21774$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> However, most Linux distros still don't detect the ram properly on
> most systems, don't detect most sound cards, hardly ever set up the
> video card right unless you have one of the chosen few video adapters
> (and even then... good luck), etc, etc.
>
> -Chad

Your hand-picked selection of non-standard computers does not
represent 'most' systems.   Find a vendor that does not have NDA
agreements with Microsoft.

From: Static66 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:18:16 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:26:22 -0400, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Static66 wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:15:46 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>RESULTS.

>> >Government has it's place.
>> >
>> >Protecting free markets is one of them.  The list of actions which Microsoft
>> >has committed to DENY all competitors anything even resembling a free market
>> >is appalling.
>> >
>> >If you were buying, say, a Ford, and decided that you wanted to upgrade the
>> >Firestone tires to Goodyear, would you consider it right that you would have
>> >to pay Ford for *both* the Firestone tires that were not being install on
>> >your car IN ADDITION to the Goodyear upgrade?
>> >
>> >This little shenanigan was such a slam-dunk case, that even after stalling
>> >the original party (Digital Research) for years, until they essentially went
>> >bankrupt and was purchased by a 2nd companny (Caldera), and they STILL
>> >settled with Caldera for a substantial sum.

>> I actually disagree with you on this one. I don't think MS has hurt
>> the consumer. I think alot of the charges are bogus. Especially the IE
>> issue. I don't think they did anything that ever other mega company in
>> this country does. I think they have been unjustly vilified.
>>
>> Now the power and phone companies in this country, there is some
>> collusion there no doubt about it.
>
>Ask Go Computing, VOBIS, Digital Research, or any other company M$ has
>injured. M$ OS prices are artificially high, and they have apparently
>violated their consent decree. I think you might want to do some more
>research on Micro$oft.

How can the price be "artificially high". wtf does that mean. This is
simple economics. They charge the price they feel is correct based on
their costs incurred developing/producing the product. Obviously the
market accepts it since it is the most purchased! right? No-one is
forced to buy it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:18:57 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:35:08 GMT,
        Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Oh probably. Do I hear people raving about these things?
:
: KDevelop is the one I tried. I didn't like it. I believe I tried CodeFusion
: as well, didn't like that either.

I know several folks using CodeFusion and CodeWarrior, both camps extremely
happy.  You don't seem to be happy with anything that doesn't have Borland
tatooed on it.

: >Maybe in your world.  I regard it as about 90% good as Photoshop, which
: >in turn is (IMO) about 400% better than Paint Shop Pro.
:
: We must be in different worlds then. I had a look at Gimp and all the other
: graphics programs on Linux Mandrake 7.1 and felt none of them offered what
: I found with Paint Shop Pro 7.

Elaborate.  If you plan to claim that some piece of Windoze shareware is so
much better than GIMP, you'll need to elaborate, otherwise, we'll just chalk
it up to you just blowing smoke.

: And the lack of completion makes it a pretty tricky tool to use. After all,
: you don't really know what works until it breaks. Hardly a good advert for
: the product, right?

Ok, if you can't manage to get past the idea that basic functions work
properly (load, save, formatting functions), but maybe not absolutely
everything is done yet, use something that IS done, such as the Sun
OpenOffice suite.  It also reads and writes Word/Excel/PowerPoint without
any difficulty.

: >So, you're downloading what's going to be on the tube a couple of months
: >ahead of time???  Don't take this the wrong way Pete, but you're either
: >in dire need of a life, or need to discover that there is indeed such a
: >thing as "too much organization."
:
: So I like to watch TV. So you don't. So what? I don't get newspapers and
: the magazine the cable company supplies me is out of date within a week,
: hence I miss programs I might want to watch.

I think the 27" TV, DVD, VCR, Stereo system, and Digital Cable converter in
my living room would disagree with you.  You seem to have all sorts of time
to make up lame excuses about not running Linux.  Were you to cut that out
and convert, you'd suddenly have plenty of time to browse the TV listings
on one of your favorite portal sites.  My personal preference for TV
listings is Excite.  Right now, it's October 29.  On their site, I can view
listings for everything on my cable system as far out as Nov. 9.  I'd
say even that is way more than enough.

: One excuse. There are others. Read what I said.

Sure, I read your weak excuses, and they are just that...  Weak.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Re: Linux or Solaris
Date: 28 Oct 2000 20:21:18 GMT

>The next major release of Solaris will have GNOME as its default
>desktop. Solaris is also now free. I think you can even get the
>source code for it (although it is not free to modify).

Solaris is only free on systems with less than eight CPU's, Solaris dosent
preform very well on small CPU systems and therefore is a waste of your $75.
And, if im not mistaken, its also not a comerical license.

------------------------------

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:21:36 +0200

Jacques,

I seem to have hit a nerve in implying that you are acting like a spoilt
brat.  And maintain this is nothing that a good spanking cannot solve.  I
bet you still live with mummy & daddy - even though you tout yourself as a
56 year old senior citizen.

BTW, any shithead - such as yourself - can surf the net looking for problems
with an OS.  How about making a DESKTOP comparison between Linux and Win2k
yourself - and posting your own experience.

James :-)

"Jacques Guy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>  Security?
>
> PC Week:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2404702,00.html ] C2
rating
> at
> last!  (Ed Curry gets a mention)
>
> LWN:  [ http://lwn.net/daily/esr-cracked.html ] windows2000test cracked
>
> ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/pccomp/features/excl0298/shame/picks.html ]
Usability
> Hall
> of Fame, Hall of Shame
>
> Net4TV:
>  [ http://net4tv.com/voice/story.cfm?StoryID=1823 ] WebTV Security Breach:
> Hijack
> Code Can Forward Stored Mail
>
> 00-Jan ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2422687,00.html ] How to
Steal
> 2,500 Credit Cards
>
> 00-Jan SecurityPortal:
>  [ http://securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20000117.html ] Linux vs
Microsoft:
> Who
> solves security problems faster?
>
> 00-Jan ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/1,5859,2429536,00.html ]
Raidnow:
> What's Wrong With Microsoft Security?
>
> 00-Mar CNet:
>  [ http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-1563391.html ] Curador credit card
> number
> hack
>
> 00-Mar ZDNet:
>  [

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2473689,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews
01 ]
> Hackers got Bill Gates' credit card info
>
>  Assorted vulnerabilities
>
> CEGadgets:
>  [ http://www.cegadgets.com/artsusageP.htm ] CE's ActiveSync 2.x Allows
> Unauthorized
> Access to Your NT Password
>
> Microsoft:
>  [ http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq00-015.asp ] Clip
art
> vulnerability!
>
> 00-Apr ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2543490,00.html ]
Frontpage
> backdoor admission
>
> 00-Apr LWN Eric Raymond:
>  [ http://lwn.net/2000/0420/a/esr-fp.html ] Microsoft -- Designed for
Insecurity

> 00-May ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2C4586%2C2570727%2C00.html ]
> Microsoft's
> 'Clippy' a security nightmare?
>
> 00-Aug VNUNet:
>  [ http://www.vnunet.com/News/1109106 ] Microsoft Active Directory
problems
> linger
>
> 00-Oct CNet:
>  [ http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/03/nashaq.idg/index.html ]
Hacker
> warns
> Nasdaq.com of security holes - October 3, 2000
>
> Gerrie Mansur, one of the leaders of Dutch hacking group Hit2000, gained
> access to the global.asa file from the Web servers of the news sites. This
file
> regulates who gets access to what applications on the server. The file
also
> defines what the applications can do and contains the global settings for
the
> applications, as well as start-up and shutdown routines. Nasdaq's
global.asa
> file
> contains the password to the site's main database, Mansur said.
>
> The news sites run on IIS (Internet Information Server) software from
Microsoft.

>  Viruses, worms and e-mail trojans
>
> 00-Jan CNet:
>  [ http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-1522362.html ] Windows 2000 virus
> detected
>
> SARC:
>  [ http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/sub.seven.20.html ] SubSeven
(Windows
> trojan)
>
> 00-Mar Wired:
>  [ http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,35045,00.html ] WebTV's
> 'Non-Virus'
> Virus
>
> 00-May TMF:
>  [ http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1180128007357046&sort=postdate ]
> RFC1521 on
> email attachments
>
> As you can see, by executing an attachment using an interpreter of some
type
> (whether it
> be IE, Word, VB, or a native executable), Outlook is exposing a well known
> security
> hole
> that is specifically warned against in the MIME specification.
>
> 00-May ZDNet:
>  [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2C4586%2C2572469%2C00.html ]
NewLove
> bug
> nastier than ILOVEYOU
>
> 00-May Wired:
>  [ http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,36439,00.html ] Worm Wreaked
Gov't
> Havoc
>
> 00-May ABC:
>  [ http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/Virus000526.html ] `Killer
> Resume'
> Doing a Job on E-Mail Systems
>
> 00-Aug Cnet:
>  [ http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-2549828-0.html ] Consumers open
email to
> targeted virus attacks
>
>  Internet Explorer holes
>
> CNN:
>  [ http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/23/active.scripting/index.html ]
> Protection against IE holes may create more  problems than solutions
>
> 00-Apr CNet:
>  [ http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1717460.html ] Microsoft browser
bug may
> access private files
>
> 00-May Peacefire:
>  [ http://www.peacefire.org/security/iecookies/ ] Internet Explorer "Open
Cookie

------------------------------

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:24:51 +0200

Jackie,

Sorry, cannot afford Win2k on your pension (and/or allowance) ...  Well I
guess you will then have to stick to "free" software.

James

news:39fb3552$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:23:30 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> >> Yes I tried some. I was not impressed.
> >
> >LaTeX beats the hell out or word on many, many counts.
>
> Ah yes let's go back to stone age computing shall we?

Now youre really being stupid. If its going to be professionel then its
Latex. Word is just not up for it.. it was not ready for it in 95 when i
tryed it last and its still not. Acutally i had to use Wordperfect 5.1
(Ahh.. they should have ported this one to Linux) to do a manual once .

Cheers

------------------------------

From: michelle makitra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Oracle say's Microsoft no good!
Date: 28 Oct 2000 20:38:27 GMT

> By 2005 Microsoft will be displaced by
> LINUX - THE POWER OF A GNU GENERATION!

LOL.    Oh man, do people ever learn?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:45:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>My sound card, an ESS Allegro is not supported by Linux.

I tried OSS and it works. Oh joy, I have sound back on Linux. But what's
this? It's a time limited demo and costs $20 to register. Oh my aching
wallet!

8)

>USB devices are not fully supported on Linux - my USB ZIP 250 drive and
>HP scanner are not supported. Is there anything for my USB Intel
>WebCamera?

No support for my scanner that I'm aware of.

Oh joy, my USB ZIP 250 is working! Ahah! I did return the previous drive as
faulty. That must have been why it didn't work!

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:46:38 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig) wrote in <8tfcoj$i6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Now youre really being stupid. If its going to be professionel then its
>Latex. Word is just not up for it.. it was not ready for it in 95 when i
>tryed it last and its still not. Acutally i had to use Wordperfect 5.1
>(Ahh.. they should have ported this one to Linux) to do a manual once .

Am I? Is writing a script then running it through an engine not the old
style way of doing documents? Has not the world moved on since then, to
WYSIWYG and so on?

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:50:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I know several folks using CodeFusion and CodeWarrior, both camps
>extremely happy.  You don't seem to be happy with anything that doesn't
>have Borland tatooed on it.

8)

So now I'm a Borland advocate?

>I think the 27" TV, DVD, VCR, Stereo system, and Digital Cable converter
>in my living room would disagree with you.  You seem to have all sorts
>of time to make up lame excuses about not running Linux.  Were you to
>cut that out and convert, you'd suddenly have plenty of time to browse
>the TV listings on one of your favorite portal sites.  My personal
>preference for TV listings is Excite.  Right now, it's October 29.  On
>their site, I can view listings for everything on my cable system as far
>out as Nov. 9.  I'd say even that is way more than enough.

If I convert I leave too much behind. You did read the list did you not?

>: One excuse. There are others. Read what I said.
>
>Sure, I read your weak excuses, and they are just that...  Weak.

Weak? Oh yeah right.

--
Pete Goodwin
---