From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Windows XP Gets Fingered
Date: 1 Jun 2001 21:09:31 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Burkhard W=F6lfel wrote:
>>=20
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> > Although this piece was written in jest, there is an element of
>> > truth here...
>> >
>> > the classic Marxist "Create a problem then offer a solution which
>> > advances our power-hungry goals" methodology.
>>=20
>> You mean, the marxists create problems and offer a solution afterwards?
>>=20
>> If so, exemplify, please.

> Build up Hitler, so that he can run roughshod over Europe.
> Then send the Red Army in to "rescue" everyone from Hitler.

> Or the current electricity crisis in California.

> Use price controls and obstruction of power-plant construction to
> create a shortage of electricity...and now they same people who are
> responsible for seting up these policies...are now using the resulting
> crisis as an excuse to confiscate the electric power plants.

> It's the Hegalian dialectic, which can be summarized thus:

> If you make something fucked-up in one hand...and have shit in the
> other....you can combine them together and give EVERYBODY your
> fucked-up shit.

You assume that humans at large are intelligent.  I make no such assumptio=
(having done everything from tech support to unix administration and=20
engineering---I find it hard to believe you havent reached the same=20
conclusion) and therefore believe utterly that things like hitler, the
california power crisis, the election of george dubya and the fact that=20
Abacus still isnt printing its serial numbers on the CD case but instead=20
on the warranty card....are attributable to the severe retardation of the
human brain.

=====.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:09:39 -0500

Herr Maestro Bantz wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:
>

> > Personally, I prefer having an ice cold beer and putting a clothes pin
> > on a dog's tail and watching it spin in circles.
> >
> > --
>
> Also try tape on a cat's paw, base of tail or my fav across the forehead and
> ears...

LOL!

Now I have something to do this weekend!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Gullixson)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 web server probing port 137???
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 21:14:15 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>Why on Earth does the Stats package that comes with Windows 2000
>probe port 137 of a visitors machine when visiting a website that
>is running Windows 2000???
>
>I was told that it is for tracking visitors.  I don't understand
>what probing port 137 that has no demon running has to do with
>"tracking visitors."
>

>Any insight would be helpful.

Port 137 is used for NETBIOS Name Service.  What that has to do with
"tracking visitors" is beyond me.  I could perhaps see a possibility
of big brother trying to keep track of things, although I have no
basis to say that this is the case.

Craig A. Gullixson
Senior Research Associate               INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Solar Observatory/Sac. Peak    PHONE: (505) 434-7065
Sunspot, NM 88349 USA                   FAX: (505) 434-7029

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:23:36 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <9f2jl8$q8u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> > After all the bleating about IIS, now I see an Apache server has been
>> >  hacked. SourceForge uses SSH... hmmm...
>> >
>> > I'll have to see if my sources have 'changed' in any way.
>>
>> This puts the nail in the coffin of any arguments you might come up
>> with
>> *against* you being a common troll.
>
> I am not a troll.

> Besides, I fail to see how you jump from what I wrote to your unusual
> conclusion.

So what reason do you have for posting it?

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:28:00 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <9f7r89$44k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> Same here. It seems to happen about every 6-8 months with Pete. Every
>> time he asks people to prove the same thing they did last time,
>> feigning ignorance. It wears a little thin after a while.
>
> 8)
>
> Um, oh boy...
>
> Every six to eight months...
>
> That's rich...
>
> How long have I been here on COLA? Around six months? So how is it that
> I'm "feigning ignorance" every six or eight months. I've hardly been
> here  that long!

You've been here long enough to feign ignorance on an argument I had with
you about 6 months ago.

> Boy do you have a broken memory!
>
> No wonder you can't post a single shred of evidence!

Why should I reprat myself, hmm?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:28:59 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> I have, you ignored it, and this is what happens.
>>
>> Next time, pay atttention.
>
> Where is this example?

I love your tactic of simply ignoring every piece of evidence and when
the poster won't post it for the 25th time, you accuse them of lying.

Now this is a prime example.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:29:57 +0100

> Oh please! I did not ignore them before, am I not lying about the

yes you did.

> existance of them. You are using a circular argument in not posting a
> single shred of evidence backing up your claims.

I can't be bothered to spend too much time repeating myself.

-Ed

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:35:14 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > Sure. However, that's not what he does- his
> > > still is $0. Free-as-in-beer, just download it.
> >
> > So, what? The FSF doesnt charge, but hey dont have any problem with
> > people that do charge for software.
>
> I dunno. They cerrtainly aren't on a Jihad
> to extirpate proprietary developers from
> the Holy Land, I'll grant you that.

What??

> But they do not really seem to exactly
> approve of the business, even so.

Stallman says he has no problem with people selling software. he says
everyone should be able to earn a living. How is that...But they do not
really seem to exactly approve of the business, even so - especially
since the FSF is a corporation?

> [snip]
> > > There is no difference, except that MS does not usually
> > > give its product away. Usually.
> >
> > OK.. at one time they DID give IE away. Why dont you see what happens
> > if  you "crip" (did that scare you too) - read STEAL- micro$oft's code
> > and see where that gets you.
>
> I would get me in trouble. :D
>
> But the FSF has lawyers too, you know.

So its OK with you to steal GPL code, but not m$ code?

> [snip]
> > > I don't know what you mean by this. "Adopters"?
> > > Does that mean companies putting out pro-Linux
> > > press releases?
> >
> > Stupid? Ignorant? Lying? I think lying.
>
> No, I'm just not clear on this.

yeah. right.

> > Open and/or Free Software
> > adopters. Pople that adopt Open and/or Free Software, like IBM, Dell,
> > some foreign countries.
>
> Ah. I was right; you are refering to moral
> support.

Idiot.

> > The EU has just said they think peopl should
> > stay away from proprietary software and adopt Open and/or Free software.
>
> They did? I missed that one. SAP must be
> turning pretty colors over that.

you miss A LOT.

> [snip- IBM]
> > And they are adopting it for use.
>
> What are they using Linux for?

What do you think? And suppsoedly to the tune of around a billion bucks.

> [snip]
> > >
> > > It gives me a license I can crib for my own code, yes,
> > > but that can be said of MS's EULA.
> >
> > Go steal m$ code, instead of stealing from altruistic people.
>
> :D

Look... a grinning idiot.

> If the FSF wanted to be altruistic, they could
> use a much less restrictive license; just because
> what they hope to gain isn't money, it does not
> mean they are being altruistic.

Really? You didnt even read the definition did you? Were the words too
big?

> [snip]
> > > People who want to control what their code is
> > > used for use the GPL- or a conventional
> > > proprietary licensing system.
> >
> > Stupid? Ignorant? Lying? I think lying. People that want to make sure
> > EVERYONE has access to the code.
>
> No. The GPL means that commercial software
> developers do not have 'access' in any useful
> sense. The GPL is all about confining the code
> so it *stays* in the open-source community.

... and the problem with that is...

> And that isn't even remotely "everyone".

Sure it is. You just cant take the code proprietary very easily, if at
all. But ANYONE can use it.

> [snip]
> > > KDE is more mature, as I understand it. But there reallky
> > > isn't *any* GUI library for Linux that rises
> > > to the level of the commercial desktop stuff.
> >
> > When did "good enough" start failing to satisfy you m$ sockpuppets.
>
> A long time ago. That's why we moved to Microsoft
> Windows. :D

AHAHAHHAHAhahahahhaha  hahahahahahahahha hahahahahahahahhaha...

> [snip]
> > >
> > > Come now, you know better than this.
> >
> > Dont tell me what I think.
>
> Well, okay, maybe you are completely
> brain-scrambled. But I suspect you do
> know better.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

> [snip]
> > > I think you'll find that many potential
> > > customers are surprisingly averse to using
> > > code that is avowedly unfinished. They do
> > > not want to be your beta testers.
> >
> > tell that to m$ customers.
>
> A lot of MS customers feel the
> same way.

If they were surprisingly averse to using code that is avowedly
unfinished. they wouldnt be using m$ software.

> > > That's the problem.
> >
> > It's your problem.
>
> No, it's a problem for open source software-
> it tends to be less clear where the dividing
> line is between "beta" and "release".

Whats the problem. Your dishonest context snippage has remove the
context.

> [snip]
> > > They don't seem to have hit version 1.0 yet, basically-
> > > they have not yet reached the point where their
> > > creators are prepared to declare them done.
> >
> > Again...how is AbiWord "bits of GNOME"? And i asked you how abiword was
> > unfinished. You didnt tell me... what is unfinished? what is left out?
> > Do some research lazy butt.
>
> It's not really a quesiton of "what is left out"; it's
> more a question of implementation quality- and
> debugging of course.

What? You said it was unfinished. If its unfinished, tell us what's left
out.

> [snip]
> > > That is irrelevant to StarOffice, which is not an
> > > OS. A non-windows OS should use *some*
> > > control set, though, rather then leaving it to
> > > apps to roll their own, as StarOffice does.
> >
> > So? You said it has a problem becasue it doesnt use window$ control
> > sets.
>
> Yes.
>
> > So,  Why should a non-window$ OS or app use  window$ control sets?
> > its not window$.
>
> Why do you use the word "so" here? This question
> has nothing to do with what I said. We agree, I think,
> that StartOffice is not a OS of any sort.

So, why should it use window$ control sets. You said earlier that it
didnt use window$ control sets and that it was a problem. Well... why
should it?

> [snip]
> > >
> > > A rationalization;
> >
> > I see. You say you can "roll your own widgets" for window$ and thats OK.
> > But its a rationalization fo Linux.
>
> It's a rationalization for not having any underlying
> infrastructure here. Windows does not need to
> justify such a defect, because it does not have one.

Yeah. Right. If tis window$ its great. If not, its crap. Sock puppet.

> > > if they wanted choices they'd
> > > want *themes*,
> >
> > Did you just say there are no themes for Linux?
>
> That's right. I mean "themes" Apple's sense,
> by the way, not what Microsoft calls "themes"-
> Linux can just about do the latter, albeit through
> herculean efforts.
>
> I mean you can't implement a tool like WindowBlinds
> or Kalidioscope on Linux.

Really? I gues Iwont be using any of my themes then.

> [snip]
> > >
> > > No. Users have no choice- they get
> > > the widgets developers want.
> >
> > Then window$ users get no choices.
>
> They can install StarDock's WindowsBlind,
> and then substitute in widget sets of their
> choice. All apps will use them.
>
> > At least Linuyx users can choose
> > between widget sets, and use those.
>
> No. Only developers get that choice.

Users chose GNOME they get GNOME sets, they chose KDE, they get KDE
sets. Thats at least 1 more than window$.

> > They can choose to use GNOME and
> > GNOME apps or KDE and KDE apps or use nither environment and use both
> > sets of apps, like I do.
>
> They can select the apps that use widgets
> they like, but that's a pretty weak substitute
> for what the users of other OSes can do.

Bullshit. Its weak only because it is.

> [snip]
> > > Unix offers the *least* user interface
> > > choice of any major OS now on the
> > > desktop.
> >
> > Stupid? Ignorant? Lying? I think lying.
>
> You can verify it for yourself. The Macintosh
> product that does this is called Kalidioscope;
> the Windows one is WindowBlinds, and the
> same product is available for OS/2 also.
>
> There is no such product available for any
> Unix. It's possible to do it for NeXTStep in
> principle, but I believe it was never actually
> done.

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.

> [snip]
> > >
> > > There isn't. There should be, though, and it's an advantage
> > > for Windows that it *does* have this.
> >
> > It is? How?
>
> It gives every developer a platform to build
> on. They can integrate with Explorer rather
> than implementing their own Explorer as
> StarOffice does.
>
> It also gives users a better user interface;
> a sigle explorer to learn, an integrated
> desktop to work from.

Work from explorer. Isnt that "just" a file manager? Linux has tons of
file managers.

GNOME .. a single desktop environment to work from. KDE a single desktop
environment to work from

> [snip]
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > I knew it. Im sure you dont see the connection.
>
> They can't be bothered to debug on Windows?

They can't be bothered to debug window$.

> [snip]
> will
> > >
> > > I was asking about the former; you told me to post
> > > a note on one of the GNOME lists to find out of
> > > StarOffice will support Bonobo.
> >
> > Nobody mentioned Bonobo. You said OLE.
>
> Bonobo is so close to OLE, it takes a chromosone
> count to tell the difference. :D

1. Nobody mentioned Bonobo. You said OLE.
2. If it is so close, as you say... wouldnt that imply some sort of
patent or copyright infrinement? What do you mean by close. Are they
interchangeble? How do you know?

> It sits on CORBA instead of COM, but it's so
> close that it should make porting easy.
>
> [snip]
> being
> > >
> > > I'm glad they realized that the had made a mistake.
> >
> > They didnt. It was fince whenit was developed. Times and people's tastes
> > change, so Open Office is changing.
>
> When was it fine?

When it was released. people wrote it that way to serve a purpose. it
did.

> The Macintosh Finder was
> released in 1983. The Lisa in *1981*. Are you
> saying StarOffice predates this?

Did I say I did?

> Because what StarOffice does was state-of-the-art
> in the 70s, not the 80s.

maybe. Maybe not.

> > > But bear in mind that MS will not stand still, either.
> >
> > It will if it doesnt perceive any competiton at all. That's M4's MO.
>
> MS does keep their products moving even so. They
> certainly do not have the, er, focus, that they get from
> a clear competitor.

Yeah, m$ really moves along aithout a competitor. Uh huh. Yup. Sheesh.

> Consider a recent example. MS Visual C++, Visual Basic,
> Visual Studio, etc, all improved in their last versions. They
> got easier to use, they even got new features. MS Visual C++
> picked up the abilitiy to recompile the code in a running
> program while it runs- that's actually pretty radical.
>
> But they had no focus. The changes didn't add up to
> any big picture. Then MS woke up an smelled the
> Java^H^H^H^H coffee. Now they are workign on a new
> "Visual Studio.NET" produc that rolls all of teh above
> products into one, puts them on an integrated virtual
> machine, adds a new Java-like language to the mix...
>
> The difference *is* dramatic. But it's important
> to understand that MS was not standing still
> before this. They just weren't moving in a clear,
> coherent direction.

The only clear, coherent directions m$ moves in is to try to make sure
EVERYONE runs m$ software without getting dragged into court. Again.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:31:59 -0500

Craig Gullixson wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes:
> >

> >Why on Earth does the Stats package that comes with Windows 2000
> >probe port 137 of a visitors machine when visiting a website that
> >is running Windows 2000???
> >
> >I was told that it is for tracking visitors.  I don't understand
> >what probing port 137 that has no demon running has to do with
> >"tracking visitors."
> >

> >Any insight would be helpful.
> >

> Port 137 is used for NETBIOS Name Service.  What that has to do with
> "tracking visitors" is beyond me.  I could perhaps see a possibility
> of big brother trying to keep track of things, although I have no
> basis to say that this is the case.

Thanks for the reply.  It does have all the characteristics of
"big brother."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:23:16 +0000

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:52:22 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:52:40 +0000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:45:35 +0200, Burkhard Wölfel
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Know the story from the Bible, where Jesus compares building on Sand
>>>with building on rock?
>>>Building on sand is what Windoze is all about, fast, easy and like that
>>>tower in Pisa, Italy.
>
>>People flock around it and stare at it in awe?
>
>Almost.

<GRIN> "Awful" is derived from "awe".

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
Give a man fire and he is warm for a day.
Set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:26:28 +0000

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:52:26 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 31 May 2001 23:48:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
>wrote:
>
>>+------------------------------------------------+
>>+------------------------------------------------+
>>| Your program has crashed.  Press OK to         |
>>| terminate the program, CANCEL to debug.        |
>>|                                                |
>>|     [OK]                          [CANCEL]     |
>>+------------------------------------------------+
>
>Why does everyone always use those horrible plusses in corners? Surely
>it would look nicer like this:
>
>   .-----------------.
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   |                 |
>   '-----------------'
>
>Nice smooth corners, not those awful plusses sticking out everywhere.

Wow! You have just discovered the Aqua(*) of text interfaces.

(*) Is Jobs going to sue me now?

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:59:07 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 31 May 2001 16:17:34 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> >Incorrect, there is a horribly disproportionate number of inexperienced
> >people using Windows over Unix.
> >
> >You can't dismiss it out of hand like that.
> >
> >Virus writers know that if they write a virus for Unix, no one will
> >open it because the vast majority, if not all, are experienced
> >users and won't fall for such deception.
> >
> >OTOH, many inexperienced or computer illiterates use Windows, so
> >they will fall for such tricks because they don't understand
> >the consequences.
> >
> >It really has nothing to do with the OS.
>
> It has everything to do with the OS. An experienced person, on Unix or
> Windows, will not open a virus. For an inexperienced person, on Unix,
> they will not be able to open the virus. On Windows, it will be very
> easy for them to open the virus.

However, the inexperienced person probably wouldn't have got email
working in the first place, so they would have never got the email.
That's how Unix security works, nobody can figure anything out, so
no harm (or work) ever gets done.

Seriously, though, the user obviously has basic skills to run apps
(otherwise he wouldn't be checking email), so if he receives an
app from a friend and he's told to run it, he's going to run it
whether it takes 1 step or 3.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:00:15 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Know the story from the Bible, where Jesus compares building on Sand
> >>with building on rock?
> >>Building on sand is what Windoze is all about, fast, easy and like that
> >>tower in Pisa, Italy.
>
> >People flock around it and stare at it in awe?
>
> Almost.

Although the analogy is retarded, the tower still stands. Slightly
cocked, but it's still standing.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:01:02 -0500

"Fred K Ollinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f8me8$73$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Rotten168 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : drsquare wrote:
> : >
> : > On Thu, 31 May 2001 10:31:46 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> : >  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> : >
> : > >> Did the geniuses who wrote X consider Trackballs of varying designs
when
> : > >> they chose the 'middle button' cut & paste?? Probably not, because it's
> : > >> very unwieldy for me and my Logitech trackball.
> : >
> : > >Did the geniuses who made your track ball build it with X in mind??
> : > >
> : > >Bearing in mind X was there first, the trackball makers seem to be at
> : > >fault.
> : >
> : > Never mind that you can press the left and right buttons at the same
> : > tiem for the same effect...
>
> : No... that's what's unwieldy about it, pressing both the left and right
> : buttons is too annoying to be used in a practical sense.
>
> Get a mac, there's only one button as mac users believe that more than one
> mouse button is too annoying to be used in a practical sense.
>
> I like three button mouse just fine, but hey, what do I know.  How many
> buttons did the first mouse have?  I think at least 3.

But what about the people who don't have two fingers? Or NO fingers at all?

-c

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 1 Jun 2001 17:01:10 -0500

What stats package comes with W2K?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...