  Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays. ("Les Mikesell")

From: Patrick Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:01:18 -0600

Gigabit Token Ring... Solution to the worlds problems ;>

Patrick

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:15:43 -0500

Said Joe Doupnik in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>>> More like, if you have 30% utilization, and you've got 3 stations
>>> transmitting equally, you will find the throughput of each to be 1 Mbps.
>>> But that would only hold true in this simplistic model you seem to be
>>> hung up on, which entirely ignores the reality of the logarithmic
>>> response curve which Ethernet exhibits.  In the real world, if you had 3
>>> stations transmitting 1 megabit per second on average, your utilization
>>> would probably be well over 30%.
>----------
>       In a word, no.
>       This raving is costing lots of bandwidth. May I humbly suggest running
>those experiments to see first hand the true state of affairs. Try several
>simultaneous FTP streams amongst a collection of stations in the same
>collision domain. The wire is fully occupied, the throughput is rather evenly
>divided amongst transmitters, the aggregrate throughput is about 90% of total
>wire capacity. Borrow a hub and please give it a try; no model is involved.

I don't understand what this has to do with the quoted text.  Did I say
an Ethernet could not "go" over 30% utilization?

>       While the test runs flip throught the Boggs et al paper on Myths
>and Reality concerning Ethernet, location cited previously and a copy is
>also on netlab2.usu.edu in directory misc as file ethercap.zip, same file
>in pub/mirror/misc on netlab1.usu.edu.

Well, thank you for the link.  I'll have to read it to find out where
the confusion is coming from.  Consider while I do that, as it will be a
couple days before I will be back, this question:

How much "bandwidth" does each ftp session have when the aggregate
throughput is 90%?

I am not considering the LAN utilization in prescribing 10% bandwidth
guidelines.  I'm concerned with how much service each station gets, not
how good the hub is doing.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:13:35 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:VyHL5.1544$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > > How hard would it be to write something like this for unix/linux?
> > > If I understand the way those viruses worked, you open the attach file,
> it
> > > reads the adress book and sent it to the first 50 people there, right?
> > > Can't you do the same in unix? (I'm asking, not insulting. I want to
> know
> > > the answer.)
> >
> > It used to be a truism that you can't get a virus merely by reading your
> > email.  Microsoft changed all that (to the shock of most
> security-conscious
> > observers) when they added Visual Basic macro capability to their email
> > program.  Any of their apps which use such macros (e.g. Word) are
> obviously
> > vulnerable.
>
> I agrees, but I don't believe that this is the way that ILOVEU & Mellisa
> worked.
> IIRC, (and I may very well not), they needed the user to execute them.
> There *are* ways to make outlook run code just by viewing it (and just by
> selecting it too, I think) but I don't think that there was an actual virus
> that use this.
>
> > How hard would it be to write such a thing for unix/linux?  Impossible, as
> > far as I'm aware.  I'm no authority on everything that's available out
> there
> > for unix/linux, but I don't know of any email applications that blindly
> > execute attachments.
>
> If I recalled correctly, how hard would it be to create a virus that when a
> user execute it:
> A> Send itself to everyone in the user's adress book.
> B> Erase every file that the user has access too. (Not to hard I think,
> rm -rf /, isn't it?)
>
> Most of the damage from melissa & ILOVEU was that they erased user file, not
> the OS itself.

> the
> code.
> > >
> > > Actually, it's not easier, you can do it with OSS too, because I know
> that
> > > lot of people read the source, but use the binary unless they make some
> > > changes in the code.
> > >

> > For those people, you're right.  It is just as easy.  But as I mentioned,
> > most source packages do not include binaries.  Many OSS packages offer
> > alternative, binary-only packages, but if that is what you choose to
> > download, then the advantage of OSS is lost.  You're in the same boat as
> > closed-source users.
>
> Compiling a source is an unneccecary hassale for most people. Most of them
> aren't programmers, they don't have anything to do with the source.

Let's see...you can settle for applications compiled for base-level
80386 machines OR you can run this EXTREMELY complicated command line...

$ make install

And sit back and watch the computer compile, link, and install a
custom-version tailed for your EXACT hardware.

Only a moron would prefer the former.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:18:53 -0500

Said Patrick Schaaf in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>It appears there are a number of people who work with Ethernet, but
>>don't really understand what it is about Ethernet that leads to a
>>"logarithmic response curve",
>
>When did you do your last Ethernet timestamped packet traces - and on
>which switch equipment? Can we see the traces?

A couple years ago, honestly.  It was a Cisco switch, IIRC.  No.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:21:41 -0600

"Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:r80M5.2717$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:hQTL5.5426$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:39ff63ae$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I don't know which vessel you are talking about, but the USS Yorktown
> was
> > dead
> > > in the water and towed into port -- and YES -- it was NT that crashed.
> >
> > Look, NT was as much at fault in the yorktown as the OS that was used in
> the
> > Arianne 5 was responsible for it's crash.

> > > They haven't sunk and billion dollar vesselsand killed the crew --
which
> > is
> > > exactly what would have happened to the Yorktown in war time.
> >
> > The Yorktown is a non-combat vessel.  But it's irrelevant since the
fault
> > was in the database software.  The Database vendor even said that the
> > problem would have never happened if the navy had not been running a
beta
> > version of their software.
>
> I'm not familiar with the details of this case.  Did NT crash or not?  If
> so, then surely you're not blaming an application for it.  If the OS
> crashes, it is the fault of the OS.  A buggy application should have no
> effect on the OS, beyond perhaps keeping it busier than it should.

Something you might want to read is this:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/Yorktown.html

No, NT did not crash.  The "system" crashed, and specifically the database
was corrupted do to an application failure.  This caused a domino effect
throughout the network, where systems that depended on valid data all
crashed because they had no data validation or exception handling.

Furthermore, the Yorktown was expected to fail, since it was an "X" project.
It was taken out to shake it down and find out where the faults were.  The
basic idea of an "X" project is that if it doesn't fail, you're not testing
it hard enough.

------------------------------

From: Patrick Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:13:28 -0600

Of course the trick question to ask people is which layer does TCP/IP reside in
the OSI model. :)

Patrick

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:25:29 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3a00b948$4$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> The Yorktown is a non-combat vessel.  But it's irrelevant since the
fault
> >> was in the database software.  The Database vendor even said that the
> >> problem would have never happened if the navy had not been running a
beta
> >> version of their software.
>
> >I'm not familiar with the details of this case.  Did NT crash or not?  If
so,
> >then surely you're not blaming an application for it.  If the OS crashes,
it
> >is the fault of the OS.  A buggy application should have no effect on the
OS,
> >beyond perhaps keeping it busier than it should.
>

> NT not only crashed, but Erik M$. Funkenbusch is such a complete
nincompoop
> that he thinks a guided missile cruiser is a "non-combat vessel."

No, the Yorktown was taken out of combat to be an experimental prototype.
While it's indeed a guided missle class (specifically Ticonderoga or Aegis
class) cruiser, it's job is a non-combat one, since it is expected to fail.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:28:26 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3a00b5cf$3$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Look, NT was as much at fault in the yorktown as the OS that was used in
the
> >Arianne 5 was responsible for it's crash.
>
> REALLY!  I'm sure this is going to be good --- And the reason the database
> kept the crew from restarting NT and get underway was?

Can't use your brain can you?  Once the tech entered the data into the
database, applications all over the ship started crashing as they performed
illegal calculations.  When the applications were restarted, the first thing
they do is read the data out of the database, causing it to crash again.
The only way to fix the problem is to fix the database, and without the
application to enter the data into, it has to be done by hand.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 05:33:42 GMT

"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Si5M5.17296$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > No new software installed?  No IE update?  What was the machine
> > doing.  The one I posted was a busy webserver.    Before sp6a I
> > couldn't keep an NT box running more than a month or so at a time
> > even when I wasn't forced to reboot for some simple change.
> >

> This was a server running NTLM, IIS and it sat and span on it's own.  Even
> though many software installs request a restart most often they will run
> fine without it.  Being a server it didn't need IE updated.  IIS Can be
> restarted without stopping the system.  As a newbie on NT Server in 1995 I
> restarted often, once I started to understand the system, restarts become
> less and less often.

You were right to reboot at the first hint of trouble back then.  Before
service pack 3 NT was so unstable as to be mostly unusable.  It has
gotten better to the point that after sp6 even I have to admit that it
isn't likely to crash unexpectedly any more unless triggered by hardware
problems.   But how much trouble have people had to deal with to
get to that point?  And it is still annoying to have to reboot just to
change a machine's name.