Linux-Advocacy Digest #672, Volume #30            Tue, 5 Dec 00 21:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever (Giuliano Colla)
  Christmas Virus Warning (Nigel)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Steve Mading)
  Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical? (J Fecteau)
  Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical? (piddy)
  Re: Linux is awful (JM)
  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux (JM)
  Re: Windows review (JM)
  Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS (JM)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (JM)
  Re: Anybody considering Linux should read this. (tom)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Anybody considering Linux should read this. (tom)
  Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical? (Nigel)
  Re: Whistler review. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anybody considering Linux should read this. (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Russ Lyttle)
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Tim Smith)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Goldhammer)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? (Chris Ahlstrom)

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: 6 Dec 2000 00:03:07 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: The fact that it needs to be learned is what makes something not
: intuitive.

By that standard, the only intuative interface is the nipple.
After that everything is learned.

The insistency that things should be similar to things that you
already know, when taken to the extreme, prevents all progress.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 6 Dec 2000 00:07:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: That's the problem with Aaron's argument.  It can be used to claim that
: nothing is intuitive.  You're quite right to note that intuitiveness is
: not an absolute.

If you really admitted that intuativeness was not an abosulte, you
would refrain from making such blanket statments as "vi is not
intuative".  If you really believed intuativeness was relative,
then that type of statement would require some qualifiers.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:15:55 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > No, actually, it's part of the C2 security requirements.  You need a way
> > > initiate a login which cannot be masked by a user mode program.  On a
> > > typical unix or Linux machine, you need only run a 10 line program that
> > > clears the screen and prints login: to steal peoples passwords.  That's
> not
> > > possible under NT if you don't have administrator privs.
> >
> > Bullshit.
>
> Ahh.  Such a reasoned response, complete with factual arguments to back it
> up.

How can you argument bullshit? You may just avoid stepping over it, if
it's not of the figure of speech type!

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Christmas Virus Warning
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:13:10 GMT

 Our IT dept. have received a Virus warning this morning.The virus
appears as a file attachment called Navidad which is part of an
e-christmas card.
If you receive such an e-mail please do not
open it!

--
Worker
Disk Drive Computer Books

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: 6 Dec 2000 00:11:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matt Kennel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 5 Dec 2000 00:27:56 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: :In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: :
: :Not really.  How does one temporarily "su" to Administrator just
: :to run one GUI app, and then get out, without logging all the way
: :out and back in?
:
:       ----------------------------------------
:         |                                      |
:         |  This program requires 'root'        |
:         |  privileges, and may be dangerous    |
:         |  if you do something unwise.         |
:         |                                      |
:         |  Type in the root password here      |
:         |  to proceed:   ________________      |
:         |                                      |
:         |   | OK |           | Cancel|         |
:         ----------------------------------------

Interesting, you try to refute my point about Windows NT not having
such a thing by showing me an example of UNIX having such a
thing.  (Note the use of the word "root".  I've seen these types
of dialogs on UNIX machines many times.  When do they happen on
NT?)

: :That sort of thing is needed or else people who
: :can will tend to run as Admin all the time so they can get things
: :done without having to log out and in all the time.

------------------------------

From: J Fecteau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.invest.stocks,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:28:16 -0500

is it not also hypocritical for them to complain when they themselves
have made MAJOR INVESTMENTS IN MANY BROADBAND COMPANIES!!!

--
J Perry Fecteau, former Mr. Internet 1994-2000
http://perry.fecteau.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (piddy)
Crossposted-To: misc.invest.stocks,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:38:23 GMT

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:03:46 -0500, jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Isn't it hypocritical for Microsoft to complain about getting
>shut out of AOL-Time Warner's broadband network when they
>effectively shut out Linux on all the cheapest PC's?

Turn lose AOL, they are the best competition for a free Microsoft.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JM)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:28 GMT

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:57:32 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Veloct" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Wow, lot of rudes comments on this thread.  I notice there is a lot of folks
>that have this windows "bigotry".  I run both win98 and linux and I can run
>either one for weeks without a reboot.  I agree windows software is as good
>as a McDonald's burger but geez, if you know what to do with either OS it'll
>run like a charm.

Actually, some Windows software's not that bad.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JM)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:29 GMT

On 05 Dec 2000 10:09:31 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Act like an adult, and I'll treat you like one.
>

>Oh the irony!
>

>> Until then, I'll treat you like some playground-jerk, as that is
>> congruent with your current behavior.
>>
>> Do you get it, rectum-face?
>

>That's it, Aaron.  Congratulations on becoming the only entry in my
>killfile.  Your constant childish insults add nothing to the
>discussion in this forum.  You are the antithesis of a Linux
>advocate.  You would do well to read and memorize the Linux Advocacy
>HOWTO.  You are by far the most annoying poster in this newsgroup, and
>that is indeed an impressive accomplishment with posters the likes of
>Chad Myers, MH, and claire_lynn here.
>
>And before you accuse me of being a Wintroll, please check the
>headers.
>
>And let me be about the one thousandth person to say your sig is
>annoying.

And apparently he lies about fighting in the Gulf.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JM)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:30 GMT

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:51:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Christopher L. Estep" wrote:
>>

>> > You can get more work done on such a machine in 95 than in any Linux distro
>> > of the time.
>> >
>> > True; RAM is dirt-cheap today (I personally recommend 128 MB as a "floor")
>> > and likely won't get much (if any) cheaper.
>> >
>> > However, the problem isn't RAM or even CPU power when comparing Windows (any
>> > version) to Linux.
>> >
>> > It's the learning curve of Windows (or lack of one) compared to the learning
>> > curve for Linux.
>> >

>> And what does one "learn" on Windows in the first place?
>
>Basic user stuff. How to copy files, how to run programs, how to discover
>what storage facilities (drives) are available on your system, how to get
>help, etc.
>
>In Windows, this is all plainly obvious, or 5 minutes of research would
>reveal all this to you. It takes weeks in Linux for a newbie to fully
>learn all the commands and become knowledgeable about the command line.
>
>There's a reason why we got away from the command line...

But once you've learnt the commands, you have much more power and
efficiency than you would have in a graphical interface. A graphical
interface may be best when you're using multiple programs, or programs
that require graphics, but you cannot underestime the power of the
command line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JM)
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:31 GMT

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:27:16 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>PowerPC wrote:
>
>> yeah linux rocks forever!!!!
>> and micro$oft Winbugs is a big shit
>> and Bill Gays is a son of the bitch !!!
>
>Wonderfull... youre such a intellectual . Strange that you post with OE
>when you hate MS so much
>
>> well, that 's all folks !!!
>
>Thank you very much.. no go and grow up kid.

I think you'll find he's taking the piss out of linux advocates.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JM)
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:31 GMT

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:55:16 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:Bd8X5.4365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [snips]
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:90hs0t$14d3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > what basic functionality is notepad missing?
>>
>> Apparently, the ability to edit text - that would, after all, be "basic
>text
>> editor functionality".  From this we can conclude that notepad is really a
>> text _viewer_, and does not incorporate editing functions.  Yeah, that's
>the
>> ticket.  :)
>
>It can most certainly edit text.
>Why do you claim that it can't edit text?

OK, it can barely edit text, but that's about it. For Christ's sake,
there are less than 10 shortcut keys in the whole thing! You can't
even use Ctrl+S to save. It's a good job I've got emacs for Windows.

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anybody considering Linux should read this.
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:37:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let me direct you to the same site with a March 24, 2000 story called
> "Releases to Watch".
> http://linux.about.com/compute/linux/library/weekly/aa032400c-b.htm
>  Much of this short article now updates the situation newbies can
expect to
> find today...not 2 years ago.  Please note the games and application
> section in this present article which is now saying that the games and
> applications to heat up.  Far from the 'boring' designation in your 2
year
> old article.

I didn't catch the "boring" statement.  Guess that would kind of make
my suggestion seem slanted, but my intent was that people would be
forewarned that Linux ain't Windows.  That remains the truth, no matter
how old the article.

> Especially if you start one of the arguments........huh, Tom.
> You're really close to being a borderline Wintroll with this post.

That's funny.  I thought the article I referred to takes a pretty
balanced approach, basically suggesting that Linux might be better for
some people, Windows for others.  You're entitled to your opinion,
though.

Tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:17:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Bill Vermillion wrote:

>> In article <rl2X5.13214$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Uniqueness breeds non-intuitiveness.  I haven't said whether that is
>> >good or bad.

>> vi was good.  Having the ability to see all the lines on the screen
>> instead of one line, and being able to move onto a word to delete
>> it instead of  .s/old-word/new-word/ was so much better.  The first
>> system I used had only ed, but I got my regexs down prety good.

>> In those days on a new system it was ed or vi [and it's friends
>> view and ex]

>Ever use IBM's XEDIT for S/370 and higher systems?

>All the overhead of a screen editor, with NONE of the benefits.

No. I worked my way from small systems and my first *ix exposure
was in 1983.  I've surely heard a lot about all the legendary
systems hanging around on the net here since '86.   A lot of those
who put this thing we call internet together were still there then
and I learned a lot.  Not enough, but a lot.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:54:27 GMT

> > You're really close to being a borderline Wintroll with this post.

I actually do prefer Windows so far, but I have Mandrake 7.1 installed
and work with it when I get time, and am reading constantly.  At this
point, I don't have enough experience with Linux for an informed
opinion, so I generally try to stay clear of the debates & flame wars.
If you didn't find the article useful ... sorry.  But I stand by my
original post.

Tom

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.invest.stocks,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:46:25 GMT

Ask Bill about that and I'm sure he would come up with a million
reasons why it wasn't MS who shut Linux out!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 01:13:46 +0100

        kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I'd say CDE 1.4 would be a better GUI than Microsoft's one, first
> it is light weight (memory and processor wise), second is that is that
> it is not screen dominating, thirdly easy to use.  Alot of people would
> copy the Apple GUI, but fair the retaliation from Apple.

I hate to contradict you but CDE on Solaris is an absolute pig.
Have you ever looked at a ps output when running CDE? It was
because of CDE that I installed RedHat 6.2 on my Ultra-5. I now
run 2 X servers, one 24bpp and the other 8bpp for apps that won't
run at 24bpp. Even with this overhead the RedHat system is far
more responsive than Solaris 8 and CDE. Sun aint dropping CDE
for no reason. I use gnome + sawfish and my Ultra-5 flies.

Oops, you were comparing CDE on Solaris to Microsoft's GUI. Your
probably right but I wouldn't know. :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:10:41 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:54:27 GMT,
tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > You're really close to being a borderline Wintroll with this post.
>
>I actually do prefer Windows so far, but I have Mandrake 7.1 installed
>and work with it when I get time, and am reading constantly.  At this
>point, I don't have enough experience with Linux for an informed
>opinion, so I generally try to stay clear of the debates & flame wars.
>If you didn't find the article useful ... sorry.  But I stand by my
>original post.
>
>Tom

The fundamental issue which people seem to keep dancing around
is the cost of Windows.  The cost is what will kill windows
for everybody.

It's not going to have a damn thing to do with preference.

And I say that even though I prefer Debian.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:20:23 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:YM0X5.1751$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:w0ZW5.32678$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:vMXW5.1336$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > What about installing TrueType Fonts?  Dozens of steps in Linux, while
> > it's
> > > just a matter of dragging them to your font folder in Windows.
> >
> > I take it you haven't used a recent RedHat or Mandrake?
>
> In fact I am using a recent Mandrake, but I can't get the accelerated x
> server to work.
>
> How exactly DO you install those TrueType fonts?

I can't help with the X server if you don't have a supported card, but
as for the fonts, you can either run drakconf, click the Font manager
icon and either 'add fonts' or 'get windows fonts' if you have a dual
boot setup, or you can just drop some new fonts in the font directory
and restart xfs.   The latter method also works with recent RedHats.
There is code in /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs to fix up anything new at startup.

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:20:38 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Steve Mading writes:
>
> >> Why are you citing evidence that destroys your argument, Aaron?
> >> Familiarity (or experience, to use my word for it) does not have
> >> to be universal before something can be declared "intuitive".
> >> Here's a good rule of thumb:  if you need to consult the manual,
> >> it's not intuitive.
>
> > Everyone has to "consult the manual" (or a friend, or the on-line
> > help) at some point early in their learning process.
>
> I know some first-time computer users that did not need to consult
> the manual or a friend to know what to do with the power cord, for
> example.

I have earned a lot of money plugging in power cords for people. The
first electronics job I had was making calls to fix TV sets. About half
the time the problem was the power cord wasn't plugged in. I learned
very quickly not to just plug in the cord and send a bill for $50. I
would futz around a while, take the back off, look intent. Then put the
back on and plug it in.
When PCs came out, there were more power cords not to be plugged in and
thus more business.
--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:25:34 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:JDaX5.2717$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Uncle Fester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > In fact I am using a recent Mandrake, but I can't get the accelerated
> > > server to work.
> >
> > Most normal & supported cards are a breeze to configure on install.
> > What card you got??
>
> Hercules Dynamite 128/Video.  It's an tseng labs ET6000 chipset.  When
> selecting either ET6000 or Hercules Dynamite 128/Video, the x server fails
> to start.  It's only error message "Try some different settings".  I've
> tried every refresh rate, every video size, every color depth.  I've tried
> just about every setting.   It just doesn't work.  So I have to use
generic
> SVGA, and even that causes all kids of screen corruption problems.
>
> As I said, this card worked fine under Mandrake 7.1 and fine under
Windows.
> There's nothing wrong with it.

The Mandrake 7.2 has an option to install the older version of the X server
which should be the same as the one in 7.1.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 5 Dec 2000 17:28:59 -0800

On 5 Dec 2000 23:58:34 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Cursor movement in vi really isn't unique.  HJKL for cursor movement was
>: popular in CRT games.
>
>True, but that's *because* of the popularity of vi.  Remember that
>those CRT games were driven by curses, which was originally derived
>*from* the screen routines in the vi code.  In other words, vi
>predated those games, and they had vi as an indirect ancestor in
>their code.

I'm pretty sure that I recall HJKL being popular on games well before
vi, e.g., I think I played several games on TOPS-10 systems that used
that scheme.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:48:28 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90hs0l$14d3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > :> No.  The solution is to make it so that normal user ID's can't
> > :> futz with the system, thus killing two birds with one stone by
> > :> also solving the problem of local system security.
> >
> > : Done on the non-9x line.
> >
> > Not really.  How does one temporarily "su" to Administrator just
> > to run one GUI app, and then get out, without logging all the way
> > out and back in?  That sort of thing is needed or else people who
> > can will tend to run as Admin all the time so they can get things
> > done without having to log out and in all the time.
>
> You can do runas in GUI, (shift>right click icon) or just runas explorer
and
> open all the files from there as on that window, you are admin.

Doesn't seem to exist in NT.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:49:32 GMT

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:31 GMT, JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:55:16 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>

>>"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:Bd8X5.4365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> [snips]
>>>
>>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>> news:90hs0t$14d3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> Apparently, the ability to edit text -
>>> that would, after all, be "basic text
>>> editor functionality".  From this we can conclude that
>>> notepad is really a text _viewer_, and does not incorporate
>>> editing functions.  Yeah, that's the
>>> ticket.  :)
>>
>>It can most certainly edit text.
>>Why do you claim that it can't edit text?
>
>OK, it can barely edit text, but that's about it. For Christ's sake,
>there are less than 10 shortcut keys in the whole thing! You can't
>even use Ctrl+S to save. It's a good job I've got emacs for Windows.

And here the MS advocates may choose to respond: "but the average
Joe User doesn't need shortcut keys..." or some such drivel.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:50:39 GMT

Tom Wilson wrote:

> The trick is to filter out the dramatics. Personally, I can tolerate him for
> no longer than five minutes at a stretch. Then, I have to get up and pop an
> old VanHalen disc into the CD. Nothing helps you churn out code like classic
> VH!  Devo and Rush (The band, that is) are good too. Oh yeah, A Bunn loaded
> with fresh Kona coffee...gotta have that!

I'm getting old and soft (except for soccer time!), so I'm more into
new agey type music, preferably lots of rhythm'n'percussion, for coding.
I don't listen to Devo much anymore, though they are one of my
favorites.  Smart patrol!  No where to go!  Suburban robots that monitor
reality!  Common stock!  We work around the clock!  We shove the poles
in the holes!  Shove it!

> > Even when he says something based on a fact, the implications he
> > draws are absurd.
>
> That's the key. Just take what he says and try to verify it. You'll be
> surprised. I sure as hell know I was! As I said above, when he gets to be
> too much, crank up some loud guitars!

I have a feeling you might be twisting his meaning to fit your expectations.
Of course, I don't know that, you know your own brain!

> > And they wonder why my code has bugs!!!!!!!!
>
> My fiancée has this annoying habit of nibbling on my ear and talking dirty
> whenever I'm programming. She's a mixed blessing at times ;)

Ummm, gotta go.  Meet me at alt.binaries.erotica.female....

Chris

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:55:12 GMT

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I take it you don't consider yourself part of the rabble.
>
> I'm a member of the rat race the same as you or anyone else. I just prefer
> content to flash. USA-TODAY, back when it started, was a national joke
> because of the kindergarten level english and "purty" pictures. It just has
> this Dick and Jane quality to it that I find annoying.

Where I used to work, I'd find the USA Today in the stalls.  I liked it
because it at least had /some/ soccer news.  It didn't wipe worth crap,
though.

Chris