From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:04:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> >I worked on UNIX, OpenVMS before I came to Windows. I understand
> >Operating Systems. I've studied them on and off. Guess what I do
> >nowadays. I write device drivers. Let me see, what do you need to
> >understand in order to write those? Why, the OS of course!
>
> Well, parts of it, anyway.  Not very technologically advanced part, I
> would expect, either.

Device drivers on Linux are written in C?

Device drivers on Windows are written in C++ and make use of COM. Which
one is more technologically advanced?

> Linux *is* a technology, and it is more advanced than Windows.  Windows
> isn't a technology, for all its acronyms; its little more than a
> marketing scam and some monopoly crapware.

Yes, how about an example, instead of a statement?

> You don't seriously expect monopoly crapware to be able to compete on an
> open market, do you?  How silly!

Enough of the dogma! Examples puh-lease!

> >3D sound support is of interest to me since it is my job. So it's not
> >that silly.
>
> It is not silly to you.  That doesn't stop it from being pretty silly,
> in its own right.

OK, I'll tell Microsoft, Loki, Creative, ESS, Crystal, ADI, Voyetra et al
that T Max Devlin thinks 3D sound is silly. After they've roared with
laughter _at you_ they'll all carry on producing what everyone appears to
want.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:07:54 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > > You are comparing two dissimilar research projects.  Cancer research is
> > > a noble research project.  Looking for alien life that is sentient is a
> > > waste of time.  Really, all it will prove that some alien life HAD
> > > existed many millions of years in the past... these aliens are not
> > > accessible!
> >
> > That's a matter of opinion.
> >
> > --
> > Pete
>
> Which part?

The alien part.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:10:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> For example:  :c)
>
> Sendmail... Hmmm...

Yep, we have a UNIX box. It connects to our cc:Mail system (peee-
yeeew!!!).

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.men,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: evolutionary (oh boy) psychology: the short form
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:14:24 -0400

> jet wrote:
> > Yawn.
> >
> > Sorry, couldn't finish reading this.

Note to Jet: Maybe you shouldn't imbibe in such a large bottle of
        Thunderbird while reading USENET.

> > If you decide to stop playing word games, let me know.
>
> exclusive homosexuality is a defect from a genetic point of view.
> by this i do not mean that it is necessarily genetic, but that it is
> likely to inhibit successful genetic replication. this is true whether
> it is the result of choice, damage, or genetics.
>
> the fact that a homosexual minority exists in damn near every society
> does not establish anything regarding whether it is a defect or not.
> for example blindness exists in every society but few would argue that
> it is advantagous at the genetic, individual, or societal level. (and
> those who would argue that it is are quite mad)
>
> amusingly enough if homosexuality is genetic the genes promoting it may
> well be more numerous today because homophobia is so universal. that is
> to say, by forcing men who would prefer the only the company of men to
> marry a beard society has generated more of the very thing that might
          ^^^^^
is this a typo?

> have, left to itself, automatically self terminated.
> heh
>
> regarding the prevalence of anti-homosexual prejudice, the most obvious
> explanation is that mentioned by the verbose mr. mocsny - if you're a
> parent and your child is homosexual it is bad genetic news. even if he
> can be persuaded to make a go of heterosexuality his heart... and other
> things... will never really be in it. so it is likely he will end up
> losing the competition for highly desirable women and end up with some
> dreg. of course if he is extremely attractive to women that will mitigate
> against this scenario.
>
> but most people are not highly attractive.
> it is also possible that people are just naturally prejudiced against any
> man or woman who deviates from thier natural sexual role as a matter of
> general inclusive fitness. that is, outward signs of masculinity in women
> and femininity in men set of the alarms because they indicate someone who
> may not make a very good parent or produce very attractive offspring.
> like all sexual selection cycles this one can end up spinning out of
> control causing, for example, men to be so pumped up with testosterone in
> an effort to be manlier than thou that it kills them several years sooner
> than women.
> but that is a small price to pay to avoid being celebok
> heh
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:12:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> You too seem to be considering a narrow view of what the 'real world' is.

It's a very big narrow view then.

> But is MS in their automobiles?  Does it run the ATMs they bank with?
> The planes they fly in?  (God forbid...)  Most of the *truly* critical
> 'real world' things don't use MS.  And yes, our mothers and non-tech
> friends use them everyday.

Microsoft would probably with to be everywhere - shudder!

> Even from an infrastructure level--do the routers that allow  their
> pointedy-clicketies to do all that fun stuff use MS software?  (cisco) Not
> often.  How about most of the websites then enjoy?  (apache)  How about
> most of the mail servers they send mail with?  (sendmail)

Now we're sliding into the server market, where Linux is scoring.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:17:08 GMT

On Mon, 21 May 2001 20:38:43 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/
>
>What's this! What's this!
>
>"OK, it's official: Linux on the desktop is dead."
>
>But it never even started! Giving up before even trying!

It's been wheezing a slow death for years if even by virtue that it
can't even be given away.

Linux is/has and will continue to be ignored by the desktop user
because it is an inferior system for that purpose. Choice has nothing
to do with it because the choices that are offered are all inferior to
the Windows counterparts.

Linux left the dock in a leaky boat without any clue as to navigation
and what the purpose of the mission is/was and the end result is a
mish-mash of confusion and half done applications.

The consumers have spoken by virtue of the dead silence in adopting
Linux as some type of a desktop alternative to Windows. It just isn't
happening and if Linux can't capitalize on all of this MS 8.net and
spyware registration crap, it will stay as a virtual unknown on the
desktop which is where it is now.

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:18:48 GMT

On Mon, 21 May 2001 20:54:53 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  "It just works." LOL!
>
>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>
>Wake me when he says something intelligent.

Hello Rip Van Winkle :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 21 May 2001 21:24:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2001 20:38:43 GMT, Pete Goodwin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/
>>
>>What's this! What's this!
>>
>>"OK, it's official: Linux on the desktop is dead."
>>
>>But it never even started! Giving up before even trying!

> It's been wheezing a slow death for years if even by virtue that it
> can't even be given away.

> Linux is/has and will continue to be ignored by the desktop user
> because it is an inferior system for that purpose. Choice has nothing
> to do with it because the choices that are offered are all inferior to
> the Windows counterparts.

> Linux left the dock in a leaky boat without any clue as to navigation
> and what the purpose of the mission is/was and the end result is a
> mish-mash of confusion and half done applications.

> The consumers have spoken by virtue of the dead silence in adopting
> Linux as some type of a desktop alternative to Windows. It just isn't
> happening and if Linux can't capitalize on all of this MS 8.net and
> spyware registration crap, it will stay as a virtual unknown on the
> desktop which is where it is now.

And once again, who cares?  What is it to you or any of us?  Linux
was just fine before it was noticed by money chewing corporate
types (like yourself) and will be just fine after.

We didnt make it for *you*.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:28:28 -0700

> Michael Vester wrote:

> > > If the environmental effect causes the crocodile successfully seek out
> > > reproductive opportunities, and take advantage of them, then no, it is
> > > not a defect.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, if it causes the crocodile to prefer trying to get
> > > sex from dead logs than other crocodiles, then yes, it's a defect.
> > >
> > > Members of the inappropriate sex are, for the purposes of this
discussion,
> > > the equivalent of dead logs.
> > >
> > And that is why I think the whole argument is pointless. Homosexuality
has
> > a powerful limiting force, they tend not to breed.  I do not believe it
is
> > chosen. I can't remember a point in my life where I had to make such a
> > decision.  Whether it is an organic defect or a personality flaw, is yet
> > to be determined.
> >
> > Personally, I don't care about anyone's sexual preference. In my work
> > environment, if I stood up during a meeting and stated, "I like to
insert
> > my erect penis into a woman's vagina and move it back and forth until I
> > ejaculate", I would be promptly fired.  Would that be discrimination?
> > There are times and places where revealing your sexual preference is not
> > welcome or appreciated.  It is certainly not appropriate in the work
> > place. Sexuality is private and should be kept private.

So, nobody should mention that they went out on a date, that they are
married?

> > When I listen to my gay friends whine about work place discrimination, I
> > always ask them, "How does anyone know?"

Are you serious?

 In my work place, nobody knows
> > my sexual preference and they never will.

I bet they do.

I am a celibate heterosexual if

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:31:48 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >    >>
> >    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
> >    >>
> >    Aaron> Roberto Pavan wrote:
> >    >> >>
> >    >> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >    >> >>
> >    >> >> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
> >    >> >> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
> >    >> >>
> >    >> >> Why?  Seriously.  Why should they demonstrate anything?
> >    >> >>
> >    >> >> Seeing as it affects you not one whit whether someone chooses
to have sex with
> >    >> >> someone of the same gender, why should they have to prove
anything to you at all
> >    >> >> regarding this behaviour?  Why not go on wearing your tutu and
playing with your
> >    >>
> >    Aaron> If a car that I don't own, and I'm not riding in, crashes,
killing all aboard,
> >    Aaron> due to brake failure...
> >    >>
> >    Aaron> are you trying to imply that I should be prohibited from
commenting that
> >    Aaron> the car was obviously defective in some way...
> >    >>
> >    >> >> sock while listening to Barry Manilow records and staring at
pictures of flatulent
> >    >> >> field mice and leave them the hell alone?  Both you and they
will be ever so much
> >    >> >> happier...
> >    >>
> >    Aaron> Personally, I wish all of these defective people would quit
running around
> >    Aaron> demanding that I give them special rights, so that they can
indulge in
> >    Aaron> their defective behavior.
> >    >>
> >    >> Can you name a single right being asked for that heterosexuals
> >    >> do not either already have,
> >
> >    Yes> The PRIVILEGE of not allowing others to judge their behavior.
> >
> >    Aaron> For example, *I* get judged on my behavior all the time.  Why
should
> >    Aaron> homosexuals get a special exemption?
> >
> > Who is asking for such a thing?
>
> The gay privileges lobby.

LOL! Do they fly around in black helicopters?

> >    >> or would have along with gays should
> >    >> the proposed item be passed into law?
> >
> >    Aaron> They tried that in my home town just this week.
> >
> >    Aaron> Although public opinion polls showed the
special-rights-for-gays proposal
> >    Aaron> to have a slight majority....the ACTUAL VOTING TURNOUT was a
landslide
> >    Aaron> defeat for the homsexuals.
> >
> > Name one of the so-called special rights.
> >

> The privilege to NOT bear the consequences of one's behavior.

What on earth are you talking about?

> >    Aaron> Imagine that.
> >
> >    >> I will not hold my breath.
> >    >>
> >    >> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.
> >
> >    Aaron> Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.
> >
> > No, they are not allowed to marry the willing adult of their
> > choice, and are thus shut out of a large set of rights, privileges
> > and responsibilities.
>
> Any man is allowed to marry any woman whom he so chooses.
> Any woman is allowed to marry any man whom she so chooses.
>
> All gays have these rights, just like anybody else.
>

> >    Aaron> Any additional laws are Special Privileges.
> >
> > I have yet to see a single special right or privilege being
> > asked for.
>
> You wish to escape the consequences of your deviancy.

Huh?

 I've noticed the bitter boys tend to be homophobic. My guess is that it is
because they see gay men getting a lot of something they are not...sex.

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:34:15 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In your case, yes. In my case, no. In the majority of cases, people are
> voting with their money and buying Windows.

Actually, in the majority of cases, poeple just don't know there's anything
else out there.  Most newbies would be better served by getting a Mac.

> Can I do the same things on Windows that I can on Linux? Can I surf? Yes.
> Can I read EMail? Yes (and no I don't touch Outlook Express etc.!). Can I
> program? Yes (and I paid for the packages - they're a helluvalot better
> than what I've seen on Linux).

I can do most of the same things on windows.. not all of them, and it's
definately no where near as reliable.

The programming packages on windows are bloated pieces of crap from what I've
seen.. and they cost a ton.  All the programming I need to do is simple, and
the programs needed to accomplish it are there when you install.

> How much does one of these Sun boxes cost? £500? Screen as well?

Don't know for sure.. especially since I don't know the conversion rate right
now.  You can look on store.sun.com for prices though.  I doubt the monitor is
included.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
More favorite error messages:

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,staroffice.com.support.install.solaris,comp.unix.advocacy,alt.os.unix,alt.unix
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x....
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:37:59 GMT

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> Doesn't mean SPIT when the network is saturated, something which happens
> embarrasingly often despite the distributed nature of our local network
> (keeping most traffic off most of our internal network links.)  But then

Hmm.. sounds like they're fixing the wrong broken part.  With switched 100Meg
to the desktop, and Gig between swtiches and to filers.. NFS is a great
solution.

> we're much bigger than most commercial installations, and the whole
> institution's networking must be an even bigger nightmare (though I
> suppose they won't be stuck with grotty old FDDI as a background
> infrastructure; I've not checked for several months...)

Our environment is pretty ugly too, but when it's planned properly ahead of
time and implemented properly, it makes a huge difference.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
"The Tuxomatic 2200(TM) with patented Gates-Be-Gone(TM) gets rid of blue

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:44:55 -0400

jet wrote:

> [...]
>
> What on earth are you talking about?
>

> > >    Aaron> Imagine that.
> > >
> > >    >> I will not hold my breath.
> > >    >>
> > >    >> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.
> > >
> > >    Aaron> Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.
> > >
> > > No, they are not allowed to marry the willing adult of their
> > > choice, and are thus shut out of a large set of rights, privileges
> > > and responsibilities.
> >
> > Any man is allowed to marry any woman whom he so chooses.
> > Any woman is allowed to marry any man whom she so chooses.
> >
> > All gays have these rights, just like anybody else.
> >

> > >    Aaron> Any additional laws are Special Privileges.
> > >
> > > I have yet to see a single special right or privilege being
> > > asked for.
> >
> > You wish to escape the consequences of your deviancy.
>
> Huh?
>
>  I've noticed the bitter boys tend to be homophobic.

phobic???

Phobic = fear

I don't fear anything from them...but I do find it goddamend REVOLTING.

> My guess is that it is
> because they see gay men getting a lot of something they are not...sex.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.