Linux-Advocacy Digest #492, Volume #31           Mon, 15 Jan 01 20:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Linux IDE RAID Cards (Tim Moore)
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Kernel space? Who gives a @#$% (mlw)
  Re: you dumb. and lazy. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? (.)
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it    does) )
("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Didn't the Gartner group say don't move to W2K straight away
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Open Source & security holes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: More Linux woes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:51:01 -0000

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:07:48 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:93v12e$3vs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> >Linux has no quality software.
>>
>> Could have fooled me. Oh well --- what *does*, then?
>
>Please tell me your kidding...

        Why? You're the one talking trash out of his ass. If you
        wish to have the world take your dellusional rantings
        seriously, you need to actually try to support them.

--

        Regarding Copyleft:

          There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
          really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
          harder for you to be a robber baron.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:49:43 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> DB2 is just what I need running on my home system.

So?  What you still seem to fail to realize is that you, someone
who hates Linux and spreads lots of FUD, managed to unwittingly
provide evidence to contradict Kyle's assertion that Linux has
no quality software.  I just find it rather funny that you would
be the one to do this.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux IDE RAID Cards
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:54:53 GMT

> Can anyone recommend a good raid IDE controller for Linux.  Preferably
> ATA 100.  We have tried using the Promise controller with limited
> success.  We probably want to run 2 controllers in the server (for more
> speed) with a total of 6 drives.  4 of the drives running raid 1+0 and
> the other 2 forming a separate mirror.  The 2 in the mirror we also want
> to boot off of.

AMI's IDE RAID controller is actually an ATA66/100 chipset with 2 IDE
controllers, similar to HighPoint, Promise, et al.  All raid functions
for the low end RAID controllers are implemented in software and for
linux, this is software RAID.  I have seen a pure hardware device that
mirrors a pair of IDE drives but don't remember the company name.

I have set up and used several configurations with both the old and new
raid tools/kernels using Promise and HPT366 hardware.  The basic rule
for IDE RAID is to group RAID sets across different controllers (eg-
don't mix Masters and Slaves in a set from the same controller).

Assuming you use the onboard chipset for the boot mirror and have 2
ATA100s:

hda + hdc = system disk (RAID 1)
hdb and/or hdd for CDROM, etc.

hde + hdg = stripe set (RAID 0)
hdi + hdk = mirror (RAID 1)

You could use a single ATA100 controller with the same performance* as
so:

hde + hdg = stripe set (RAID 0, Masters)
hdf + hdh = mirror (RAID 1, Slaves)

* Providing RAID 0 writes are finished before RAID 1 writes begin.  This
is based on experience with a single Promise Ultra/33 card and 2
separate RAID 0 sets.  If it's configured incorrectly throughput will
drop from ~2x to ~1/2 of single drive performance.

Here's what's running right now under 2.2.18 with
raidtools-19990824-0.90 and the raid-2.2.18-B0 + ide.2.2.18.1221
patches:

[tim@asus tim]# df | grep md
/dev/md0              33492920    121544  33371376   0% /raid
[tim@asus tim]# cat /etc/raidtab
# sample raiddev configuration file
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              0
persistent-superblock   1
chunk-size              32
nr-raid-disks           2
nr-spare-disks          0
device                  /dev/hde3
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/hdg3
raid-disk               1
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -i /dev/hd{e,g}

/dev/hde:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307020, FwRev=TX3OA50C, SerialNo=YH0YHF64470
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=40188960
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5

/dev/hdg:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307020, FwRev=TX3OA50C, SerialNo=YH0YHF45553
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 CurCHS=65535/1/63, CurSects=4128705, LBA=yes, LBAsects=40188960
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5
[tim@asus tim]# cat /proc/pci | grep HPT
    Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
IDE UltraDMA/66 (rev 1).
    Unknown mass storage controller: Triones Technologies, Inc. HPT366
IDE UltraDMA/66 (rev 1).
[tim@asus tim]# hdparm -tT /dev/hd{e,g}3 /dev/md0

/dev/hde3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.29 seconds = 99.22 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.92 seconds = 33.33 MB/sec

/dev/hdg3:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.25 seconds =102.40 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.92 seconds = 33.33 MB/sec

/dev/md0:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.25 seconds =102.40 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.13 seconds = 56.64 MB/sec

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:57:05 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Illegal?  Really?  Did you know Linus does a similar thing with Linux?  No?
> Anyone who wishes to have their software for Linux has to release the source
> code, period.  Sorta kills the point of intelectual property, doesn't it.

This is totally false.  Releasing source code is definitely not
required.

> No wonder no respectable software company makes Linux software.

IBM?  Just as an example, mentioned, ironically by flatfish, DB2
is popular quality software which runs on Linux and is closed
source.

Gary

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:02:35 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Well, I don't plan to second-guess, or even have to double-check, any
> > consumers, no matter how braindead, but I would suspect that they would
> > consider Mandrake at fault.  I can't see a reason in the world why they
> > would consider Linux at fault, unless
> > a) they were aware that Mandrake was Linux, which isn't necessary at all
> > b) they weren't aware that the problem doesn't occur in other Linux, but
> > only on Mandrake.
>
> Except the problems found commonly in Mandrake are common (or relitively so)
> in OTHER distro's as well.  It's a LINUX wide problem being so damn hard to
> configure, install software with, and just generally manage.  Software
> Really?  Last I checked, Adobe still owned the rights to Photoshop.  They
> COULD port Photoshop to the Linux/UNIX platform (and send The GIMP into The
> TOILET) in a heartbeat.  But they don't want to.  Hmm, it is that little
> liscense snafu involving opening up the source code to do so?

Once again you show your total ignorance of Linux and Open
Source.

Gary

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel space? Who gives a @#$%
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:27:14 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > [snipped]
> >
> > You know, this whole benchmark silliness is too much to take. And yes I
> > said this before, during and after the stupid Mindcraft bit.
> <snip yawner>
>
> > The side that makes Linux or FreeBSD the clear winner is ssh and UNIX
> > remote capability. One can do anything remotely to a UNIX box that they
> > can do sitting in front of it. This is not true with NT/2K without
> > buying extra software on top of the already too expensive buggy OS.
>
> Obviously you are not up on NT software. I have been able to remotely
> administer NT 4 since day 1, sure with add on software at first and later
> using simple remote admin http and RPC tools. Simplicity. With Windows 2000
> I can use all of those, any 3rd party tool or I can use the built in
> terminal services administrator mode and have a full remote session,
> identical to the desktop in every single way.

Oh, please. I am talking the big "administer" not selected text mode
programs or services. A Linux or FreeBSD box can have EVERY
administration task performed remotely, all but one. The only exception
is when the machine don't boot, and that is a drive in event no matter
what.

Don't trifle me with your NT crap. It ain't even close.

> your bias blinds you...

No, it is my experience that allows me to see.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:40:07 -0500

ono wrote:

> > MFC40.DLL, I believe, didn't have DLL-Hell problem for a *long* time, not
> > sure.
> > There are several versions of this files, and the problem results (all
> > DLL-Hell problems, acutally) from installers that doesn't check for
> versions
> > before they replace important files, this they remove the newer version
> for
> > an older version, and break other applications (and sometimes that OS)
> that
> > need the newer version of the DLL.
> I think that's why ms introduced the installer service and 'system file
> protection' so that the office people can't replace core components with the
> installers anymore.
> I counted more then 3000 dll's on my system and for that number I'm
> surprised there is so little hell.
>
> ps: I counted more then 70 mfc*.dll files. I think ms does what linux does
> too: each program gets it's own version that it was tested with. (disks are
> cheap nowadays!)

Linux is not a sea of shifting sand which changes chaotically
without warning.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:40:47 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> chrisv writes:
>
> > I wrote:

> >> I gather from your emoticon that you already know the answer.  So why
> >> bother to ask the question?
>
> > Are you saying that every post must include a justification of said
> > post?
>
> I'm saying that I gather he already knows the answer, given his use of
> that particular emoticon.
>
> > If this is what you mean, justify your post.
>
> The key word here is "if".
>
> > If not, explain why you bothered to ask this question.
>
> To find out why he asked a question for which he apparently already
> knows the answer.

Go jump in a volcano, shit-for-brains.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:41:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine writes:
>
> > Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> >> You still haven't sacrificed yourself to the volcano, Oxygen Thief.
> >>
> >> What's the fucking hold up, you miserable waste of skin...
>
> > Did you want him to slit his wrists first, or after he
> > jumps in the volcano? :-)
>
> What he wants is irrelevant.

Just go jump in the goddamned volcano, you shit-head.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: 16 Jan 2001 00:47:43 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> In alt.destroy.microsoft, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 15 Jan 2001 14:41:06 GMT
> <93v262$69g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [snip]

>>Plainly:
>>
>>Cost of a 4 machine, quad processor W2K cluster, including licensing for
>>all software nessesary to serve websites that contain lots of fun doohickeys
>>like "cold fusion":
>>
>>180,000 dollars
>>
>>Cost of 4 machine, quad processor linux cluster that does the same thing:
>>
>>110,000 dollars.

> $70,000 diff in NRA&E.

> But I'm curious as to what the disk and network interfaces are.
> I'd hope the disks are SCSI and the network a high-quality DMA-capable
> 1 Gb network card -- or whatever the best is now,

Exactly...I dont want to go into too much detail, but the hardware is
not *exactly* identical; the w2k system is something that is pretty much
industry standard for such things, the linux cluster is a combination of
many vendors, taking the best from each.

> but I have my doubts
> that IDE can handle heavy I/O loads without slowing down everything.
> There are also issues as to how much RAM such a machine has, and
> the bandwidth costs.

This includes 1 netapp for the linux cluster and 1 "RAID o' Drives" for
W2K.  :)

> (I'd also hope the hardware is as near identical as possible. :-) )

Not exactly; the linux hardware is better.  :)

> (BTW: is there a yearly licensing fee for Win2k?

This depends very much on the apps running.

> Also, why is
> each NTadmin paid $80K?  Are they in higher demand?)

MCSE's demand a higher salary than non MCSE's; this accounts for that
certification at least.  It also accounts for administrators that are
at least formidable at creating com objects and windows programming in
general.

The Linux admins need to know some perl, some shell scripting, and
preferably a little C++.

>>Number of high traffic, complex, full of frills websites that the W2K
>>cluster can support:
>>
>>1900.
>>
>>Number of high traffic, complex, full of frills websites that the linux
>>cluster can support:
>>
>>24,000.

> Impressive.

Other UNICES can do better.  You should see the Solaris specs.  :)

>>Yearly revenue generated by 1900 W2K sites:
>>
>>3.42 million dollars

> Revenue: $1800 per site
> NRA&E: $94.73 per site
> Support: $126.32 per site
> Theoretical profit: $1578.95 per site.

I kept profits out of this whole thing on purpose, I cannot comment on
the accuracy of the above...:)

>>This is based on personal experience and the experience of 5 collegues
>>in the field.
>>
>>Do the math.  With what todays market is doing (which is dying a slow,
>>horrible death), the choice is quite clear.

> Just for completeness: is this documented somewhere?

Yes, but not publically.  I understand that what I typed could possibly
be seen as (if not a large exaggeration) a complete lie; and theres
nothing I can do about that.  Though those people who have experience
with these kinds of things (from both ends), in my experience, tell
similar stories.

> I don't dispute the numbers too much (I've heard horrible things
> regarding NT's latency; this has to affect performance), but just
> wondering if there's a formal case study for all this; "[your]
> personal experience and the experience of 5 [of your] colleagues"
> isn't horribly authoritative. :-)

Agreed.  But in this case it cannot be, since I work in the field. :)

> This is, after all, a sort of benchmark.

Sort of.  Its more meant to get people to go find out for themselves
than anything else.

When it comes right down to it, experientially, windows costs ALOT more
to build and run.  ALOT more.  In EVERY way.  :)

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
does) )
Date: 16 Jan 2001 00:49:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Way to argue petty semantics to disprove a point.

: Moron.

Coming from you that is a high compliment.

Thank you.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: More Linux woes
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:36:16 +0000

> Under Win2k I can select either analog CD output or Digital output and
> depending upon which one I select, the signal is transferred over one
> of 2 little cables with berg connectors. The IDE channel is NOT used
> for data transfer and as a result the system performance is NOT
> impacted.

I bet, though, that under win2k your reset switch will break befire mine
does under Linux (and mine is nearly 3 years old, AND it isn't loose).

Incidentally, sorry to anyone intelligent out there.  I am trolling!

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:39:27 +0000

> >These are application settings, this has nothing to do with Linux as an
> >OS.
>
> Wrong, even for Win2k.
>
> You don't know what you are talking about.
>
> Flatfish
> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> Remove the ++++ to reply.

No, this is correct.  DO NOT HAVE A GO AT THE OS WHEN THE APPLICATION
DOES SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO COMPREHEND.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:41:28 +0000

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> The digital cable still requires CPU time to decode the data stream coming
> from the CDROM drive, even through the labeled digital audio conduits.
>
> Linux Mandrake 7.2 does not always activate the "accelerated" driver for
> your video system, and even then, the acceleration is not typically "on par"
> with Windows directsound and directdraw handling audio & video
> (respectively) .
>
> Skippage is being caused by CPU time being reallocated from the audio
> subsystem (kernel level) to the redraw request being made by XFree86.
> Because Linux does not intelligently detect "important" processes, this will
> continue to be a problem until you upgrade either your X Server, or
> recompile your kernel with better sound modules.
>
> Linux sux.

If it IS just x that is causing shit, nice it to +20!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:44:37 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:05:37 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Depends on the player and the hardware configuration.
>
> No it doesn't.
> Standard 40x CDROM player and a SBLive card.
>
> >If your problem is with pure digital audio, i.e. the digital stream off
> >the back of the CDROM, than pay $2.99 for a wire to go from analog out,
> >to analog in to the SB card, and configure this in the sound panel and
> >or player. However, you will not get the advantages of the digital audio
> >stream.
>
> ARHGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
>
> How many times do I have to repeat myself to you
> Linonuts!!!!!!????????
>
> I'll say it ONE MORE TIME for you slow ones........
>
> 1. Standard IDE CDROM (40x Acer if that matters) connected to IDE
> controller #2.
> 2. Little $2.00 cable with Berg Connectors conected to Digital out on
> CDROM and Digital In on SBlive.
> NO ANALONG CABLE CONNECTED!!!!
>
>      Are you with me so far?

If I read this right HE SAID GET A $2 CABLE!
Are you fscking illitereate?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:45:48 +0000

> So why don't you enlighten me a little?
>
> You know Mr. ".", you  prove your ignorance more and more with every
> guttural uttering that emanates from your mouth.
>
> If I were a Linvocate I would be ashamed to say you were advocating
> for my side.
>
> I'll bet you have done far more harm to Linux than any Windows
> supporter ever has simply by your ignorance and total lack of sound
> factual support of your misanthropic arguments.
>
> Flatfish
> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> Remove the ++++ to reply.

It is simple once you learn to read!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:51:17 +0000

David Steinberg wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : I give up. You are just to dense to understand this..
> : Consider it closed.
>
> I must admit that I'm confused, too.
>
> I'm currently playing a CD, and I just disconnected the audio connector,
> and...silence.
>
> Hmmm...maybe I'm not running Linux?...
>
> [dave@taro dave]$ uname -a
> Linux taro 2.2.18 #1 Sun Dec 31 13:06:08 PST 2000 i686 unknown
>
> Nope, I'm definately running Linux.  And yet I've never experienced this
> "Linux woe" before.
>
> Could it be that, as Mark has said, again and again (and you refuse to
> hear), that this is an APPLICATION issue?  That the APPLICATION you have
> chosen to use to play CDs (and there are MANY different choices available
> for this task) rips by default, so that it can also do cute little
> visualization tricks?

All that I think can be said id Mr. Flatfish should fix the app, or fix
the kernel if it is the fault of Linux (which seems doubtful)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:53:28 +0000

> Linux *is* too hard to use - Linux will *never* replace Windows on the
> desktop if Linux users have this attitude.
>
> -Todd

My reset switch says that windows is far harder than Linux!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:01:21 +0000

.
> I believe that if he by accident swallows a fly, he's got more brain in his
> stomach than in his head

If he swallows a fly, he'll swallow a spider cartch it etc

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Didn't the Gartner group say don't move to W2K straight away
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:05:02 +0100

In article <93t7e2$1hm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Roy,
>
> Sorry for duplicating your posting Roy (but the title was cryptic).
>
> Regards,
> Adam

No need to be sorry. The article was worth having several people
bring it to the attention of the Microsoft trolls. They keep saying
that companies are adopting W2K. The Gartner group in 1999 said
that with year 2000 approaching it would be foolish to adopt W2K.
Yet the Microsoft trolls kept saying in 2000 that many companies
are using it. Well now it is one less (that we know about) and
Gartner are saying that W2K sales are less than 10% when they
expected 20%. No wonder Microsoft won't release sales figures.
I'm really looking forward to their next quarters results. With
their share over $50 I would sell sell sell if I had any.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Open Source & security holes
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:08:24 +0100

In article <93sa88$bif$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pablo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi!
> I've found a lot of sites about Open Source Software, but I would like
> to find a site that compare Open Source and commercial software. E.g
> security holes, "Who get the patches first?" and so on. Anyone?

In 2000 over 100 security holes were discovered in Microsoft SW. IIS
has more than anything else. Would you stake your companies business on
such a flawed piece of SW? Don't worry, they are now going to include
it in the kernel to try and keep up with Linux. :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:03:57 +0000

> Translation:
>
> "I, Claire the Flatfish---, am a complete retard"

Claire Lynn has a different style!  This is closer to Todd!
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club