From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:33:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Mart van de Wege wrote:
> >
> > In article <3afdd9f2$0$82854$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jan Johanson"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I can understand your frustration that every comment is met with
> > > rebuttle, but ... what can I do ...
> > >

> > You were the one stating he has no interest in controversy, and just want
> > to be left alone. You are also the one that spams this newsgroup
> > regardless, and without provocation at that.
> > I say we call for a USENET death penalty. You deserve it.
> >
> > Mart
> >
> 99.999% uptime a year, that still leave 8 hours of downtime.  I wonder
> how many pissed off ecommercce customers have been turned away? how much
> money was lost in 8 hours of downtime? also, that is only theoretical,
> hence, its like the 50 year flood, that has happened 2 years in a row.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Um, my calculator says that a 99.999% uptime leaves 5.26 MINUTES
downtime per year - not 8 hours.  Did you perhaps calculate for 99.9%
uptime?

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:21:36 -0600

On Sun, 13 May 2001 23:51:45 +0100, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Where in my statements did I say I was afraid of homosexuals.  I am  not
>> afraid of them anymore than I am afraid of people with bipolar disorder
>> or any other genetic malfunction.
>
>If you have really firm evidence that homosexualtiy is genetic, I suggest
>you publish.

I really don't understand why so many hetero men have something
against gay guys. A higher percentage of men than women are gay so
when two males pair off that just means two more unattached females
competing for my own attentions.  :)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:34:37 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Here are a couple of Win2K servers that stayed up for a long time.
> > >
> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=partnering3.microsoft.com
> > > 244
> > >
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=download.windowsbeta.microsoft.com
> > > 216
> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=msdnisv.microsoft.com
> > > 189
> > >
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.c
> > > om
> > > 189
> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=esl.one.microsoft.com
> > > 184
> > They are all clusters.  Now, get, one, lone server loaded with Win2k
> > Server, and then see the uptime.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> I have one lone server loaded with W2K Server that has been running non-stop
> since Feb 17th 2000. It was rebooted one single time when SP1 was released,
> intentionally obviously, and never since. It has 100% uptime during the
> first period and continues 100% at this time.
>
> Are you starting to understand? W2K is reliable.

Yan is using some weird, never-never world definition of "reliable" that
I've never happened to come across before....not even in my Webster's Dictionary.

Alternatively, Yan is just lying.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 14:27:45 +0200

"Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <GvbL6.45194$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> Grief, you people are pathetic. Microsoft has lost the Internet server
> >> market. Remember, over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year.
> >
> > That's including Office and such as well. How many were in Red Hat Linux
> > and the software that ships with it? At least that many.
>
> Can't you read. Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW in 2000. A RECORD.

Just 100? In *all* their products?
Wow, that is pretty low.
Have you considerred the bloody *amount* of software they have?

Now, how many holes are there in a RH distribution?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 14:34:30 +0200

"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dmt27$9om$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Ayende Rahien wrote in message <9dmrfj$97o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> I am not sure you understand what an OS is, nor what MS is being asked to
do
> (at least by more moderate people).  An OS provides an execution
environment
> for other programs, and provides these programs with access to the
> functionality of the computer.  Thus, device drivers for a CDROM or DVD
> drive form part of the OS.  The OS provides an interface allowing
> application programs to read from the CD drive regardless of details of
the
> drive, and it provides an interface allowing an application to play music
> through a sound card, regardless of the type of sound card.  But a program
> which reads tracks from a CD and plays them is an application - it is not
> part of the OS.  Similarly, low-level network protocols such as TCP/IP can
> be regarded as part of the OS (although that is debatable - drivers for
> network cards certainly is part of the OS).  Higher level protocols such
as
> HTTP or FTP are arguably part of the applications layer, as is a GUI.
> Browsers and DVD players are without any doubt applications - they are not
> part of the OS in any way.

Okay, that is not what I would call an OS, but that is argueable.
What you have here is a framework, which provides basic services for
applications.
That was what DOS was, but that isn't quite what I would like to go in the
store and buy.

Basically, you can divide an OS to the services it provides (GUI is one of
them, btw) and its application layer.
Take linux, for example.

The kernel, FS, POSIX API, and X are the services that the OS gives you.

Such a system is pretty much useless, mind you, for both users and
developers.
You need the whole slew of POSIX applications, to make it useful.

And still you wouldn't be able to sell something like that to the average
consumer.

> I don't think MS should be stopped from providing a browser with Windows -
> Windows distribution is more than just an OS, in exactly the same way as a
> Linux distribution.  But IE is an application - the user should be free to
> install it or not as they see fit.  And distributers (i.e., OEMs) should
be
> free to include it or not, along with other applications such as
alternative
> browsers.

> There is no reason for MS not to distribute IE, but it should be
> on the same lines as a Linux distribution with KDE providing Konquerer -
the
> distributer can choose to include it or not, and can provide any number of
> other choices.  The user can choose to install Konquerer or any other
> browser, and can choose between them.  They can also remove Konquerer at a
> later stage if they want.

Okay, but wouldn't that break a lot of applications that depend on
Konquerer? That is what would happen if you remove IE from Windows.
The built-in Help system use IE engine to render itself, as does many 3rd
party help systems. There are plenty of applications that depend of IE being
present. Winamp's mini-browser is a good example of that.

You can choose not to use IE.
Just as you choose not to choose KDE, but you can't remove KDE from your
computer if you to keep running applications that depend on it, now can you?
That is the case with IE, there are many programs that depend on it,
removing it would mean breaking them.

> The client benifits from choice.  Distributers benifit from choice - it is
> hard for OEMs to distinguish their systems from the next.  Part of that
used
> to be in the software they included in the package - now it is almost
> impossible for them to provide anything but MS software.

I agree about this point.

BTW, all those that hate IE are going to be happy to learn that it's market
share is going to drop sharply when AOL6 (Mozilla based) will be released.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux in college & high school
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:29:07 -0600

On Sun, 13 May 2001 22:48:21 GMT, somebody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> stands accused of saying:
>
>>Well, MacOS X is simply Apple's version of Linux.
>
>is freebsd simply freebsd's version of Linux?

No, FreeBSD is the Universtiy of California, Berkeley's version of
Unix. Linux is Linus Torvald's version of Unix. However, because
they're both clones of the same thing, the same software can be
compiled to work under either as well as on Unix.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux still not ready for home use.
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:43:18 -0400

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
>
> > Bobby, don't forget the harms mice can do to your hand. I am a musician,
>
> Me too, though of the most amateur sort.  What do you play (instruments, styles)?
>
> > playing various instruments and quite a fast typer, I think. Mice are
> > bad for my hands, I feel it every day i use them too much.
>
> A couple of years ago I moved my mouse over to the left, even though I'm right
> handed.  It first occurred to  me when I noticed that centering the spacebar under
> my screen left the keypad extending off to the right, and forced me to reach even
> beyond that for the mouse.  The mouse did leave me sore now and then, especially if
> I had been doing a lot of handwriting between computing sessions, so I thought I'd
> try it on the other side and give my right hand a rest.
>
> I was really spaz with it for a few days, and moderately spaz with it for a few
> weeks, but now I think almost nothing of it.  I do move it back over to the right
> when I'm creating graphics and need the extra dexterity (pun intended) for fine
> details, but otherwise it's fine; I didn't even reverse the buttons on it.

Get a digital pen-pad and keep it on your writing/drawing side.

> In addition to reducing the right hand's workload, it seems to save a lot of moving
> the hand back and forth between keyboard and mouse.  For lots of non-text
> operations, I can keep one hand on the mouse and let the other hover over the
> keypad, arrows, and return key.  For me, continually moving my hand back and forth
> between the keyboard and the mouse is the one thing I dislike most about a GUI.
> (Add accelerator keys to those apps, guys!)

Damn straigth!

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:46:44 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9dmihu$5i6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <9dmgt0$n0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> > > atlases
> one
> support.
> > >
> > > Rick does. He thinks that MS should be broken up because of this.
> > > I wonder if he thinks that MS should be broken up for adding FS support
> too.
> > >

> > You are a liar.
>
> You said that MS should be broken because they added networking support,
> Rick.
> Don't try to deny it, google keeps an archive.

Provide the quote.

> suitcases
> when
> > > you
> of

> > > What are the most common tasks of a computer today?
> > > To browse the web, isn't it?
> > >

> > Is it? Compare the number hours spent on WP, SS, DB, graphics
> > production, video production , etc, etc, etc. Now, how does that compare
> > to web browsing?
>
> That should've been, "one of of the most common tasks", sorry.

It may be common, but ther are many other 'more" common"

> > > For that matter, what about audio CD? Why should MS be allowed to bundle
> cd
> > > player, but not a DVD player? DVD are starting to become as common as
> CDs
> > > are.
> > >

> > Who said m$ shouldnt be allowed to bundle a DVD?
>
> You think that they shouldn't allow to bundle networking, I would assume
> that DVD is much worse.

Dont tell me what I think. You dont know.

> > > Forcing it to a complete feature freeze.
> > > I don't see how this benefit the client.
> >
> > I never suggested any such thing and you know it. I have stated, again
> > and again, there is a difference between "adding features" and waiting
> > until competitors add third party features and then killing the
> > competition, which is what m$ does.
>
> There were 3rd party networking, MS adding networking to windows, killed
> them.
> So, Windows should've been no-networking OS?
> What about drivers? SB made a tidy profit from selling licenses to make 100%
> compataible SB sound card, sound drivers kill it.
> So Windows shouldn't have drivers, too.
> What about GUI? There were GUI for DOS before (and during) Windows, so
> Windows shouldn't have GUI.

You make an excellant case for breaking up micro$oft.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:47:51 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9dn044$eb5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > In other words, you used the worst instance of IE that you could find,
> > > knowing full well that when I, and everybody else, talk about IE, we
> > > talk about IE on x86 on Windows. Go to a friend with windows and see
> > > what it's
> > > *really* like.
> > > *Then* come back and tell me what browser is better than it.
> >
> > If it isn't cross platform, than there's a limit as to how good it can
> > be.
>
> If it *is* cross platform, then there's a limit as to how good it can be.

Why?

> This is just as true a statement.

How?

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT Movies
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:35:30 -0600

On Mon, 14 May 2001 00:09:08 +0100, Nigel Feltham
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Well that's nice that you work in such lovely datacenters but surely you
>> agree that movies *never* capture the real appeal of technical work (for
>> instance the complexity mentioned by the original poster).
>>

>My favourite is the scene in Jurassic park where the kids instantly
>recognise the unix system and know how to reboot it ( but obviously not how
>to just restart the electric fence control deamon).

I always liked the old SeaView series about an atomic submarine. The
computer was one big wall of flashing lights from which the computer
guy could deduce the most detailed of information. (Quick glance at
wall of randomly flashing lights, then "Sir, there's a monster squid
headed our way. It weighs 25,000 pounds and is coming from 127.2
degrees. It's 35 nautical miles out, and will be here in 2 minutes".)

Then when the giant squid attacked the submarine, the computer would
first shower the crew with high-voltage sparks and then explode
spectacularly. 15 minutes later Damage Control would have it fixed.

The next week it would explode again. And the next, and the next...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: The Economist and Open-Source
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:48:44 +0200

        Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, 13 May 2001 11:29:06 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <sShL6.647$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>
>>> They have to regression test each patch thoroughly before releasing it.
>>> With Linux, someone will hack a quick fix together and release it, not
>>> caring a bit about testing it.  Then, as the developers have time, they
>>> create a decent fix, which happens in about the same timeframe that MS
>>> takes.
>>
>>Then why are so many security bugs reported in bugtraq due to Microsoft
>>patches?
>
> You mean, like this?
>
> <http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42798,00.html>
>
> In 1998, Cuartango discovered the infamous "Cuartango Hole," a
> security flaw that allowed wicked website owners to steal files off a
> user's hard disk.
>
> That discovery was quickly followed by the "Son of the Cuartango
> Hole," a new exploit that was created by Microsoft's patch for the
> Cuartango hole.
>
> "Son" was followed by "The Grandson of the Cuartango Hole," which was
> –- yes, you guessed it -- caused by a second fix that Microsoft issued
> to plug the original Cuartango hole.

This is exactly what I was referring to. bugtraq is an excellent
resource for sys admins but for Windows admins it is a full time job
just keeping up to date. Then there are the fixes that simply don't
work or make matters worse. Why Erik always tries to defend Microsoft
when their record is so abysmal beats me.

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:57:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 12 May 2001 05:24:08
> >"Jeffrey Siegal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>    [...]
> >Yes, obtaining 'your' copy must be done with the permission of
> >the copyright holder.  [...]
>
> Pedant point that isn't so pedant: no you don't.  The guy who
> distributed it to you does, but only if he made more than 10 copies or
> it is worth more than $1000.
>
> If someone pirates software and sells it to you, you still own it and
> can use it to your heart's content.  The only reason the police could
> take if from you is as "evidence", and they'd need a damn good reason to
> need YOUR copy.  The pirate is the one who broke the law, not you,
> unless you should reasonably have known it was a copy.
>
> Thus, the "guilt-drive" by MS & cronies to try to make pirating software
> some horrible crime like stealing money from someone's bank account.

Actually that raises an interesting question.  If you "buy" a pirated
piece of software, aren't you breaking the law by "receiving stolen
goods", regardless of whether you knew it was stolen or not?  Is buying
a stolen copy of CorelDraw any different from buying a stolen watch?

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:58:54 GMT

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > > Dont snip, and you wont lose context.
> >
> > If I don't snip we'll all drown in effluvium
> > of this thread.
> >

> But you WILL lose context.

Such is life.

> > If you can't remember what we were talking
> > about, there is always Google.
> >
> > > Now answer the baove question.
> >
> > The question is, of course, irrelevant.
>
> The question is about a statement you made. If the question is
> irrelevant, then so is the statement.

You have a point there. :D

> > However, just to make you happen, I'll
> > answer it anyway.
>
> Um, I have already - happened.

I meant "happy". Wee typo.

> > The way the unix printing model lets you
> > stack up filters is not a limitation (compared
> > to Windows); the limitations of the Unix printing
> > model are *other* things, not directly related to
> > stacking up filters.
>
> So, what ar ethe limitaions of the UNIX printing system that has you in
> susch a lather?

I've gone over this before. It most fundamental is
that it does not provide any way for information to
get from the printer to the application.