From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:36:49 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 00:32:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
> Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > >Microsoft--relearning mid-20th centuryt technology...in  the 21st.
> >
> > Not only that, but making it "usable" for the masses by slapping
> > on silly icons, pulldown menus that slowly vanish beautifully
> > and/or animate from the pointer as the user selects a scascade item,
> > windows with scrollbars, gadgets, rollover labels that change
> > color as the mouse rolls over them (wow, psycho, man),
>
> Think yourself lucky you don't get a rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus or
> the Microsoft Wav...
>
> > and built-in
> > richly-formatted help text files that tell one the bit that he
> > knew already ("yes, I KNOW that's a toggle button with a label,
> > you moronic program!").
>
> Click on "+" in Windows Explorer to see a cdrom directory list. By the time
> the disk spins up and produces its contents, WE decides to close the list,
> so you've to click "+" again. Or displays the directory list in the right
> hand pane but needs to read the disk again to display it in the left hand
> pane. Geez, just how stupid can an application get? Must be the special
> training they get.                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why most Microsoft programmers went to school on the short bus.

> Best one I got was "Put Windows NT Workstation CD into Drive A: and Click
> OK"
>
> Peter
> --
>
> In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
> from 500 miles away in India.
> This cannot be done today because increased atmospheric pollution
> means Everest is no longer visible from the survey location.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:40:05 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tim Smith wrote:

> > > The more interesting question is which will be first?  Microsoft
> > > releasing Whistler or you making a post that is not completely stupid?
> > > I think Microsoft will win that one.  Heck, I think Netscape will make a
> > > decent browser first!
> > >

> > How much did Bill Gates pay you to write that?
> >
> Netscape hasn't had a decent browser since 2.02!   Atleast IE works most of
> the time,  Netscape crashes when you click on a link....   The Linux version

Of course, Microsoft's sabotaging of DLL's has *nothing* to do with it...

> of Netscape is much better either...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:44:14 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Translation:  Pete didn't allocate enough swap space for what he's
> >       trying to do.
> >
> > Conclusion: Yet another deliberate sabotage by Pete Goodwin.
>
> What? Linux cannot grow its swap space beyond what is allocated? What a
> limitation!

What would you have it do?

When you set up your swap partition, you said in
effect, "It can never, ever use more swap than this".

Disk is cheap, you could set up gigabytes of swap
space if you want - why blame the OS for stopping
at the limit you set for it?

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:44:37 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 31 Jan 2001
> > > 16:59:33 -0500;

> > features

> > 95, and

> > > "I'm not dead yet!"
> >
> > Quiet! You'll be stone dead in a moment...
>
> "I feel happy!  I feel happy!"

"He says he's not dead"

> --
> This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
> processors to do battle with this code!!!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:46:27 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 31 Jan 2001
> > 16:59:33 -0500;

> features

> 95, and
> > >                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > >"I'm getting better!"
> >
> > "I'm not dead yet!"
>
> Quiet! You'll be stone dead in a moment...

"I don't want to go on the cart"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:47:42 GMT

You are an idiot who can't even read your own messages.

Back in the bozo bin with you because it's obvious you are drinking
again.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux  headache
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:48:59 -0500

>         Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> And SunView preceded that .. 1984 or '85.
> >
> > OpenLook had a nice-looking suite of applications, like mailtool,
> > filemanager, etc.  It was probably a great-looking desktop at the time.
> > Well, I suppose OpenLook could be considered a desktop, at least it probably
> > was at the time.  I'm assuming SunView is OpenLook, but I really don't
> > know...
>
> As the guy said sunview preceeded openlook. Sunview wasn't based on
> X. Openlook was, believe it or not, an 'open' specification for a
> particular look and feel written on top of X.  Openlook came with the
> xview library which had about 6 functions. Using those 6 functions you
> could write applications which adhered to the openlook look and
> feel. It was very nice from a programmers point of view except when
> you needed to do something at a lower level than xview provided. Sun
> also provide devguide which was a GUI tool for producing the GUI
> part of openlook applications.
>
> Sunview was very fast even on a Sun 3/50 with 4MB ram. If Sun hadn't tried
> to keep NeWS proprietory we might all be using that now. From what I've
> heard it was a much superior design to X and used display postscript.

It was pretty quick...even on color systems.

> As an aside I once tried starting openwindows on a 3/50 with 4MB ram. It
> took over an hour to start and whenever you moved the mouse the pointer
> disappeared for several minutes while the disc was swapping like crazy.
> Still it didn't crash. :-)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:52:28 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Translation: Spend $15 "upgrading" to a USB mouse rather than simply
> > buying a $3 ATX keyboard/mouse extension cord
>
> Someone who writes drivers for both PS/2 and USB mice predicts that in 2
> years, USB mice will totally replace the PS/2 mice.  I don't agree with
> this.  For one, how do we know USB will still be around 2 years from
> now?

I expect IEEE 1394 to supplant this molassas-slow USB shit...

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:51:18 GMT

> Kenn Guilstorf wrote:
> >
> > <<More of Aaron's MS bashing and Chad's Linux bashing respectfully
deleted>>

> > The reason that more security holes, viruses and etc. are found is
because
> > most true hackers are going to target themselves at the largest
audience.
> > The largest audience, in this case, is Microsoft Software.  Take, for
> > example, the Macintosh platform.  In a recently published article, it
was
> > claimed that about 40 viruses were made for the Mac platform compared
to the
> > thousands of viruses and variants that exist for the Windows platform.
> > Based on this fact, you would inherently come to the incorrect
conclusion
> > that the Macintosh is a much more stable, secure platform than the
Windows
> > environment.  The fact is, the Macintosh -- as of yet -- has not come
into
> > heavy prominence and is not as wide-spread as the Windows platform.
> > Therefore, most hackers aren't going to target the Macintosh because
there
> > 'claim to fame' won't be as large.  The same can be said of the Linux
> > platform (and other Unix platforms).  Until they gain the same wide
> > acceptance as the Windows platform, there just won't be as many
viruses,
> > hacks, security holes, etc. found/created for them.
>
> None of which explains the large number of viruses which could have
> been written ONLY with knowledge gained by looking at MS source code.

Their OS's are easy enough to disassemble. No need for source code.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:56:20 GMT

G3 wrote:

> When I installed LINUX I spent like 1.5 hours just trying to find a mouse
> and keyboard it would recognize, then more time trying to get it to see a
> simple thing like a CD ROM, (it never did get the printer),

So you're really slow - that doesn't make you a bad
person, it just means you ought to stay away from
computers.

> I remember I had

> to restart like 4 times to get the monitor to install,

Here's where you really went out into left field -
there is no restart in the Linux install procedure.

> the partition program
> kept fucking up, then the damn thing didn't want to connect to the LAN

OK, this is definitely starting to sound like a scripted troll.

As one who has been using Linux for a few years,
I can say that an install of say Red Hat on a recent
machine takes all of 45 minutes from booting the
install disk to a functional X desktop and full-on
network connectivity.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:58:16 GMT

>   J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It looked for all the world as if you wanted answers, and people
> > here were good enough to try and help out.
>
> Pointless. He's dumber than a bag of hammers. Ignore him.

heh - just when I'm about to come to that
conclusion, he says something that makes
me think there's hope for him - then again,
maybe that's just part of a strategy to wear
out pengunistas...

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Paul Thurrott reports: "Microsoft Executives Trash Linux"
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:58:31 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:38:38 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"InBiz" <sl@theplanetdotorg> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> What else would anyone expect Steve Balmer to say in public. In private
> >> he's probably laughing his ass off at the 'Linux threat".
> >
> >That would be a dire mistake. Out there in serverland, what the big boy
> >commercial Unices aren't running on, is quickly being swollowed up by the
> >twin "fads" Linux and BSD. If either one comes through with a cohesive
> >desktop that people can agree on...Microsoft's toast.
>
> Even better...if either one comes through with a cohesive desktop, they
> both do.

They're already out there.  It's just that the MBA's haven't seen them yet.

Here's the thing to do..

If you have ANY Linux systems set up at work....start grabbing the senior
managers and ask them, "Hey, do you want to see the wave of the future?"

Let them play with it a bit...mention that it has nearly the same stability
as the $500,000 E10000 Sun server...ask them how they like it...
After you get a positive response...THEN tell them "It's LINUX"

The BEST way to combat the FUD being aimed at management is to give
management HANDS-ON experience with LINUX.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:02:56 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Donn Miller wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > > Translation: Spend $15 "upgrading" to a USB mouse rather than simply
> > > buying a $3 ATX keyboard/mouse extension cord
> >
> > Someone who writes drivers for both PS/2 and USB mice predicts that in 2
> > years, USB mice will totally replace the PS/2 mice.  I don't agree with
> > this.  For one, how do we know USB will still be around 2 years from
> > now?
>
> USB is likely to be around, there is industry support behind it.

Converting from USB to IEEE 1394 (Firewire) will be trivial

change some voltages, a firmware rom, the data clock, and the SHAPE
of the plug, and you're done.

> I can see using USB mice, this would free up IRQ 12 for a SCSI adapter or
> something. I can see USB keyboards with USB Mice to have more than one user
> terminal per machine. One could have multiple video cards, keyboards, and mice
> to make a multiple user graphical system.

You could do the same with Firewire, and it has FAR more bandwidth.

USB would have been cool if it came out 10 years ago.  But now, the
speed is unacceptably slow.

> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.