From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 06:37:43 -0500

Ed Allen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Sloan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> >> So long as the electricity stays up! (: From my own expierence with Linux,
> >> it's more reliable than the hardware and power companies or even power company
> >> + marine batteries. It just doesn't crash unless you fuck up badly. The only
> >> problem I ever have it seems is that wierd "Japanese" you get if you try to
> >> cat a binary to the screen triggering it. I reboot only becuse I don't know
> >> how to fix it otherwise, NOT becuse it crashed.
> >
> >I hate rebooting, that's one reason I like Linux so much.
> >
> >To get rid of the japanese, try typing "reset" in the terminal.
> >It should reset the screen.
> >
>     What has happened is that the binary file sent a ^N as it was catted
>     which selected the "alternate character set".
>
>     You can get the same effect by just 'echo ^V^N' at the command
>     prompt.
>
>     Typing 'echo ^V^O' will undo it again without clearing the screen
>     like 'reset'.
>
>     Those are not primarily Japanese characters, they are most often
>     used to draw little boxes around areas of the screen.  Sometimes
>     they are even referred to as "the linedraw set".
>
>     For some real old Unix arcania, restore your screen with:
>
>         cat /bin/ls
>
>     That will restore the normal character set on every version of Unix/Linux
>     I have ever tried it on.

cat ls     screwed up my display character set,

but both

cat ping
and

cat ln

restored my screen to proper function.

> --
> How much do we need to pay you to screw Netscape?
>         - BILL GATES, to AOL in a 1996 meeting

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 06:41:14 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> : I've always heard that sound when a train takes off (since
> : growing up in the 40's). Like you say the train would be unable
> : to start if it weren't for the slack.
>
> There isn't too much slack between the couplers of the train cars. Also, with
> commuter trains, half the time the engine pulls and pushes as it goes from one
> end to the other. The accelleration is equally pathetic in either mode, as can
> be readily expected. We could sure use some bullet commuter trains that have
> good accelleration you can feel. Trains in general have pathetic accelleration
> for the simple reason they are real heavy, and a 2,000 horse engine, despite
> series-wound motors in the wheels and the engine running a giant welding
> generator, can't be expected to accellerate all that mass quick.
>
> But that drivetrain is about the best use of energy for a vehicle, and it
> obviously found its way with the trains first. Only now, do we see automobiles
> with a petrol-electric drivetrain with triple fuel economy but have decent
> accelleration. Why? In the 1970s with that oil crisis, the petrol- or diesel-
> electric car wasn't introduced but the locomotives were already around - and
> made in Detroit! Why only now? (HINT: oil is finite...)

True...but GM, Ford, and Chrysler don't sell fuels, so they have
zero interest in that regard.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 06:48:52 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : I think that the only way out of this is to declare copyrights to be dead,
> : as there is no longer *ANY* practical way to enforce them.
>
> Not for books at least.

Even books.  You can scan them, run the bitmaps through optical
character recognition software, and completely copy the book
digitally with little chance of discovery (other than your
own popularity).

>                          And counterfeiters can still be found.

Counterfeiting comes under a completely different set of laws.

> : Of course, since copyrights and patents are specified in Article I
> : of the US Constitution, it's going to take a Constitutional Amendment
> : to do the job.
>
> A system of Patent and Copyright is _allowed_ not _mandated_ by the
> Constitution. The congress could delete either or both at any time. Also, for

http://www.nara.gov/exhall/charters/constitution/constitution.html

Article 1, Section 8

Section. 8.
     The Congress shall have Power

     To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts
     and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United
     States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout
     the United States;

     .... [ many clauses later ] ....

     To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited
     Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings
     and Discoveries;

Hmm...you're right.

It says "Congress shall have Power to" as opposed to "Congress shall..."

> physical objects, patents are plenty enforcable. The problem is the copyright
> bullshit with software. If congress deleted Copyright tomorrow, Bill Gates
> would suddenly become poor. (: Good for him!
>
> : Until then, the lawyers are going to make a *LOT* of money.
>
> What else is new?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE or GNOME?
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:48:45 +0100

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi Mig,
>
> > Lets not forget that KDE is the default desktop for the majority of
> > professionaly oriented Linux distributions like Caldera, Mandrake, Suse
> > -  only exceptions are RedHat  (dont know about Debian).  There must be
> > a good  reason for that :-)
>
> Those distributors didn't care about preserving software freedom but
> instead decided to ship the then more stable and polished KDE without
> considering the implications of the Qt license.

Well... thats the good old discussion and i agree with you that the Qt
licence could be a problem and KDE should have chosen something GPL or
LGPL. But im a pragmatic guy and i am mainly interessed in good software so
for me that was never an issue.
Now even with Qt going GPL i still feel there is  a problem with too many
KDE developers being employed by Trolltech thus keeping KDE very tied (cant
be different ?)  to Trolltech/Qt.

[cut - i agree]

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 06:51:58 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kelsey Bjarnason
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:05:48 GMT
> <ggbo6.6874$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> >message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barry Schwarz
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  wrote
> >> on 2 Mar 2001 02:12:46 GMT

> >> How the heck is the recruit going to handle all the nifty neato
> >> useful gadgetry the Army's going to have online in the next couple
> >> decades if he can't even figure out which button to push? :-)
> >

> >"Point at enemy.  Press green button.  When finished, press red button and
> >store."
>
> Heh.
>
> What if he's colorblind?

Then he cannot be an any part of an aircraft crew, nor hold any job which
requires him to direct air traffic by direct visual means (as opposed
to watching a radar scope).

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Off-topic?  What's that?
> EAC code #191       26d:04h:58m actually running Linux.
>                     This space for rent.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:51:46 +0100

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> Well for one, CORBA is standard and DCOP is not. This makes GNOME more
> interoperable. There's a java book that gives an example of a GNOME
> application talking to a java app, for example.

> The main thing I have against DCOP though is the dependency on X. This is
> annoying, because X does not have anything to do with component
> frameworks.

I read some comments about DCOP a few days ago made by the guy the
developed MCOP (i think its the arts guy) that another problem with DCOP is
the message types you send.

> I think KDE dropped it because they got burnt by Mico (In particular, it
> produced bloated stub code, from what I recall. Anyway, they had
> performance issues with it.)

Another claimed problem seems to have been the complexity with using Corba
compared to DCOP.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 11:57:25 +0000

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Q.  Why does the Linux user constantly obtain
>     upgrades of the kernel and other OS facilities?
>
> A.  Because he can.

No, I'm just an upgrade junkie

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 06:59:34 -0500

"B.B." wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Marten Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> @> But the fire-arms of the Cops had almost no effect on the bank-robbers
> @> with full body-armour (and AK-47s) in LA a couple of years ago, they had
> @> to wait for the SWAT team to kill them. Nor did they do anything to stop
> @> that guy with the tank.
> @>
> @> Lars T.
> @
> @The tank was an M-60, IIRC. Top speed about 25mph. Today's M-1's top
> @speed is a lot higher but probably not more than 40-45mph. Why try to

US army *admits* to 60mph.  (with the speed governor left intact).

My bet is that it's near 100 mph....or faster than any driver can
actually drive the thing without shaking himself into a giant
ball of bruises.

> @stop a tank when the speed is so low and the max range is so short? Keep
> @out of the way an wait until they run out of fuel or run into something
> @they can't get over. The time to get worried is when there's someone to
> @use the guns.
>
>    It was driving through a residential neighborhood.  No time to
> evacuate all those people.  A good way to stop a tank is to make it drop
> a tread.  Toss something big/hard enough into the treads to knock them
> off track or lock them up.  Of course, something that big would probably
> be too heavy to "toss."  A bomb would work too.
>
> --
> B.B.             --I am not a goat! [EMAIL PROTECTED] @airmail.net

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:01:08 -0500

Perry Pip wrote:

> Donn,
>
> I'll bet when you were in school you were smarter than other
> students. Imagine if you were forced to take a course for the slower,
> not as bright students when you should have been in the advanced
> class. Is that how you feel when you use Windows?? Dumbed down??
>
> Special education classes for students who aren't very bright are a necessity
> for those who need them, as is Windows for those who need it.

This is what horrified me the first time I saw a Macintosh demonstrated
at Purdue in August 1983.
... you can only do what the BUTTONS let you do.  UGH!!!

> On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:01:50 -0500,
> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I start freaking out.  There's something I can't stand about Windows,
> >but I can't figure it out.  I have to have a command line, and when I
> >can't have a command line, I can feel my brain cells start to stagnate.
> >I suffer from sensory deprivation.  Windows just seems devoid of all
> >intellectual activities.
> >
> >When I run Windows, I get this closed-in, claustrophobic feeling.  With
> >Linux, I feel as if I have more space to roam intellectually.  I feel as
> >though I am free, frolicking out in a spacious field someplace, using
> >the window manager I want to use, the toolkit I want to use.  I can run
> >top and ps and find out exactly what is running, and where it is
> >running.  I get an exact number for CPU usage and memory consumption of
> >any process or application, and what state each process it is in.  But
> >most of all, I don't have to hit control+alt+delete, and try to guess
> >which instance of a program is hanging.  And furthermore, when I kill
> >something, it dies right then and there.  With Windows, you never know
> >if something is going to die or not, and if you've even got the correct
> >instance of the app you want to kill.
> >
> >Unix is an example of an operating system that was designed properly the
> >first time.  Windows 9x and NT seem amateurish by design.  They are
> >designs that assume every computer user is an idiot, and that all
> >computer users like using something just because a company tells you
> >it's good, or because it's popular.
> >
> >In Windows, I am locked into a stale, closed, but yet comfortable room
> >with no windows and no fresh air.  With unix, I am frolicking in the
> >wide-open field, doing the activities I want to do, not what some idiot
> >company feels I should be using.
> >
> >Windows has gotten better, but its design is indeed amateurish compared
> >to unix.

> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's here!  IBM's new Linux ad!
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:03:03 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Is this walkin' the walk? Or what?
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/linux/passport.swf
> --
> "Never underestimate the power of a small tactical nuclear weapon."

valid URL, but ust black-colored page .. :-(

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.