From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:55:56 GMT

On 9 Mar 2001 00:17:03 GMT, Steve Mading
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Scott Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:      This is a farcical example, I know, but a lot of potential
>: linux converts already have computers, and those computers were likely
>: built with Windows in mind, not Linux.  Until novice users can go to
>: the hardware manufacturer's web site and download self-installing
>: drivers to make their hardware work under Linux, this will always be a
>: barrier to Linux's widespread acceptance into the desktop arena.
>
>This is all very true, but what can be done to fix it?  The
>problem is that it's a technical problem that is being
>caused by cultural marketplace forces.  A technical solution
>can't fix it.  Nothing can be done TO Linux to change the
>'political' situation: A large number of hardware manufacturers
>are perfectly willing to forego smaller markets if that
>means not having to put forth as much effort.  (It's expensive
>to pay a highly competent guy to program a driver, so unless
>you know you are going to be selling a *lot* of units, you
>have a hard time recouping that cost.)  As it stands now,
>what typically happens is that the hobbyists have to write the
>drivers themselves, but they can't begin until the model is
>already out on the shelves at the computer store.  By then the
>Windows driver has already been written in-house by the
>manufacturer.  It's a case of Linux being hampered by a completely
>non-technical, non-programmer type of problem.  Since most of
>the people pushing Linux are of the programmer/technical bent,
>they aren't really in a position to tackle this type of problem.
>
>I have no idea what the solution is.  How do you program around
>the "hardware companies are short-sighted" bug?

Amen, and I was never trying to blame Linux for the short-sightedness
of the hardware manufacturers, or their need to spend their money
where it will generate the most revenue.  It is, however, a very real
problem for anyone wanting to switch to Linux using recent hardware
that they originally purchased to run Windows, which is what Linux
needs to have happen to gain ground in any large numbers.
        If someone designed the perfect car that never broke down,
looked beautiful, and got 200 miles to the gallon, but had to run on
blue-painted asphalt, I wouldn't be able to make very good use of it.
I could paint the streets around my house, and theoretically at least,
I could paint every piece of road that I was likely to drive on, but
it wouldn't be a good solution, even if the car is free.  Do I blame
the car? No.  Could the DOT paint all of the roads in the country
blue?  Sure, but it would be a lot of cost and effort to satisfy a
small market.  On the other hand, I already have a car that performs
moderate-to-okay on 99% of the roads out there.  Which is the better
solution?
I like Linux, and will continue to tinker with it and replace hardware
with linux-recognized parts until I get everything working or Linux
supports the hardware I already have, but not everyone is going to be
so forgiving when it comes to switching over from Windows.  Honestly,
right now, if I could only run one operating system on this computer,
it would have to be Windows.  Linux just doesn't support enough of my
stuff yet.

Scott Gardner

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone else get this Konqueror error?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:02:29 -0000

Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

>> >I have used IBM.com for months with this browser with no problems.  No
>> >one in the kde mail group that I subscribe to gets the error on their
>> >versions.  Can anyone confirm the error on their machine?
>>
>> Confirmed with Konqueror .
>>
>> Routing my browsing through Junkbuster, configured to tell the world
>> I'm running IE, causes ibm.com to render correctly.  The "user agent"
>> setting on KDE 2.01 doesn't seem to work for this purpose.
>>
>> Email sent to IBM's web maintainers.
>
>I'm using:
>
>ii  konqueror      2.1.0-3        KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and
>
>and it works just fine.

OK, using 1.9.8:

    * Browsing directly doesn't work.
    * Routing through Junkbuster and identifying as Explorer works.
    * Routing through Junkbuster and identifying as Konqueror, using
      the string from the KDE configuration, works.
    * Routing through Junkbuster and using "All Your Base Are Belong
      To Us" for the user-agent string works.  Curiouser and
      curiouser....

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:02:12 -0800

"Scott Gardner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Or, if the more one thinks about something, the clearer it becomes,
rather
> >> than muddying up pretty accurate instantaneous responses.
> >
> >Huh? (tm)
> >
> >--
> >Brock
>
> I know what he's talking about--in the Navy, we call it "Nuking
> Something Out", named for those in the Naval Nuclear Power field that
> are prone to such behavior, or simply "Trick-Fucking Yourself".  It
> happens when you throw away a perfectly good first impression, hunch,
> or educated guess in favor of deep introspection, consideration of
> multiple possiblities, and leading to an invariable f**king-up of the
> answer.  An example would be a person who, when asked how far a fired
> projectile will travel, decides to be slick and try to account for the
> curvature of the earth and the air resistance in his answer.  Well, an
> hour or so down the road, he's used a sine function where he meant to
> use cosine, or dropped a unit in the air density, and his answer is
> off by several orders of magnitude.  Was he intelligent in realizing
> that the curvature of the earth and air density would play a factor in
> his answer?  Absolutely.  But he got himself in over his head with the
> calculations and ended up with an answer that was poorer than if he
> had just used the one-line algebraic solution in the first place.
>

> Scott Gardner
> LT  US Navy

I'd just let the fire control computer do that.

------------------------------

From: turtoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:13:59 -0600

Scott Gardner wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:42:44 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, those in the top centiles of IQ marry MORE often...especially
> >the men.  The difference is...just like everything else they do...they
> >do so INTELLIGENTLY.
>
> This threw me for a loop at first.  I was wondering why, if they marry
> so intelligently, they're doing it "more often" (ie, repeatedly).  Of
> course I realize what you meant was that people in the top percentiles
> of IQ are more likely to be married... Was still good for a laugh in
> my moment of confusion...

personally i would put forward that it's been my observation that people who
are highly skilled in some areas tend to be lacking in others. we can only
just take a look at the sample of very successful people within the media
only to watch them make a complete mess of their personal life's and fail at
being able to form successful long term successful relationships.

in fact you might say even go so far as to say that the the least successful
people are more likely to stay together for economic reasons and also more
likely to go with the flow and build large families, also for economic
reasons.

so if we were to imagine that being intelligent is genetic and that those
people are more likely to be constantly putting one's self on the line and
therefore more likely to die out. we should therefore be on a downward
spiral intellectually which just imo hasn't been proven to be the case.

i think what it spells out is that we all have a capacity to be intelligent
and that it just needs to be turned on whilst it's also true to say that
some people have some abnormality which gives them a drive and/or makes them
more likely to be what society considers to as define success.

and i also believe we have become more civilized and that life expectancy
has greatly improved but we are still essentially the same monkey as our
distant ancestor.

turtoni - but there is room for radical movement, imo.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: MS Security
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:09:09 GMT

http://www.sans.org/newlook/alerts/NTE-bank.htm

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Take an ATOM - Leave an ATOM
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:10:10 GMT

http://www.eetimes.com/story/technology/OEG20010306S0061

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: MS Security
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:11:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charlie Ebert wrote:

>http://www.sans.org/newlook/alerts/NTE-bank.htm
>

>Charlie

http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00220010308bot01.htm

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: What Linux MUST DO! - Comments anyone?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:13:45 GMT

http://www.netslaves.com/comments/983976069.shtml

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Marten Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.groupware.lotus-notes.misc
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Client for Linux
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:17:51 GMT

Jarmo Ahonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you out there would like to buy a Linux version
> of Lotus Notes Client, please go and fill the
> Notes Client Platform survey at
>     www.notes.net
>
> Let IBM/Lotus/Iris know that you want a
> native Linux client. (At least my employer
> would like to buy quite a few.)
>
> Best regards
>     Jarmo Ahonen

Is there a Notes server, or do I have to use Domino?
-- Marten Kemp

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:24:20 -0000

More on the IBM web site and Konqueror:

* The user agent string that Konqueror 1.9.8 sends is, in full:
  "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.0.1; X11); Supports
   MD5-Digest; Supports gzip encoding"

* Setting this string in Junkbuster triggers the error.

* Setting merely the Mozilla part, without the Supports clauses,
  gives a normal IBM page.

* But if you set this string:  "All Your Base Are Belong To Us;
  Supports MD5-Digest; Supports gzip encoding", you get redirected --
  and the wireless version of the IBM page appears!

* Further experimentation shows that either of the Supports clauses
  triggers the redirect.

* But "All Your Supports Are Belong To Us" gets the normal IBM page.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:26:14 GMT

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:13:59 -0600, turtoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Scott Gardner wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:42:44 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Actually, those in the top centiles of IQ marry MORE often...especially
>> >the men.  The difference is...just like everything else they do...they
>> >do so INTELLIGENTLY.
>>
>> This threw me for a loop at first.  I was wondering why, if they marry
>> so intelligently, they're doing it "more often" (ie, repeatedly).  Of
>> course I realize what you meant was that people in the top percentiles
>> of IQ are more likely to be married... Was still good for a laugh in
>> my moment of confusion...
>
>personally i would put forward that it's been my observation that people who
>are highly skilled in some areas tend to be lacking in others. we can only
>just take a look at the sample of very successful people within the media
>only to watch them make a complete mess of their personal life's and fail at
>being able to form successful long term successful relationships.

True.  Hollywood is one of my almost-pet-peeves. (I only allow myself
three or four full-blown pet peeves, so I have to be selective about
what I let bother me.)
Why is that we (speaking about the American culture here) pay these
people millions of dollars, practically worship them as dieties or
royalty, pay them to endorse our products, and generally emulate the
hell out of them when their only talent that they exercise publicly is
their ability to act!?!?  I know that some of them have other
talents--hell, Kris Kristofferson was a Rhodes scholar, for goodness
sakes, but he's not famous for his thinking, he's famous for reciting
lines given to him by a writer!  I've always wondered if the writers
for the show "Friends" get to wash the stars' Porsches as part of
their contract!
        And I won't get started on sports stars...
I don't think that having a great talent in one area necessitates a
weakness in any other given area.  Sure, there are a lot of Hollywood
stars that are divorced and/or on drugs, but there are a lot of
"ordinary" people in the same situation, too.  I think media stars are
just like anyone else in every area except whatever it is they're
famous for.  There are media stars that are happily married, divorced,
smart, stupid, tolerant, bigoted, what have you, just like the rest of
society, probably in the same proportions.

Scott Gardner

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:39:54 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> But if the standard Linux way of printing is to generate PostScript and
> modify the PostScript to suit the printer, why does it work sometimes and
> not others?
>
> Such that all the user should need to do is File -> Print.

Every time I do that in Windows it tells me I need to install
a print driver first.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:41:49 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > But if the standard Linux way of printing is to generate PostScript and
> > modify the PostScript to suit the printer, why does it work sometimes
and
> > not others?
> >
> > Such that all the user should need to do is File -> Print.
>
> Which is precisely what I've been "whining" (so-called) about all along.
> What escapes me is why they can't see it.

We can't see it because windows demands a print driver setup
too.    What's the difference?  After you set it up correctly it
might work.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:44:25 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9882ri$4a7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Save yourself. He has no understanding of the system and absoloutely
will
> > not learn.
>
> I could say the same about you. You're not _listening_ to what I've been
> saying.

And you didn't answer why you think something other than postscript
should be the default output from an application under unix/linux.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Windows emulators
Date: 9 Mar 2001 02:47:28 GMT

GreyCloud ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Don't suppose that when one runs windoze in a child window one will see
: a blue screen a lot in that window??

That's funny. Get the blue screen in a window, and just kill the window. No
muss, no fuss, no rebooting!

Maybe we need to get back to basics (no, I don't mean that language!) and go
with more CLI stuff. For example, I unearthed a spreadsheet that is free in
price but is shareware for DOS but no registration is needed for Linux. I
downloaded it and compiled it, and tested it.

It's an ugly Lotus 123 clone for the CLI. A problem is that its executable is
named "mc" like our favourite file manager, Midnight Commander. So, after a
second compile, I named its executable "123". A real beauty of this
"MacroCalc" is the file format: plain text. To find it, go to a search engine
and grep up on "spreadsheet" and "linux".

To my delight, emacs I recently found out works on the CLI too. I'm going to
have to play with it. I always thought it was X-only. A cool thing would be to
port files to Postscript after putting tags in a document as you edit like you
do when making .HTML files.

Now, for a real stretch, a definite for hacker types only: A graphic file
maker/editor for the CLI. This gem would be a nightmare to use, as it would
make bitmaps after a fashion but the user edits hex. Yuck! I suppose it could
be like a hyper-spreadsheet with hex numbers in the cells. Gotta have macros
like crazy. I guess this is (way more than) a bit impractical.

Given how GUIs are such resource hogs when they work - which isn't often for
some GUIs - and a pain to interface with other utilities, maybe it's time we
get back to the CLI. The GUI ended up giving us a maddening cornucopia of
incompatible file formats thanks to commercial software.

What would be nice would be a picture viewer that doesn't need X, like the
ancient DOS picture viewers.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux MUST DO! - Comments anyone?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:00:54 -0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.netslaves.com/comments/983976069.shtml
>
> Charlie

Slow news day, clueless journalist, rant mode switch stuck in the "on" position.