From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:38:43 -0400

Todd wrote:

> Welcome to Linux.
>
> It takes endless hours to do simple things that under Windows is done
> automatically.

You have it reversed, moron.

Tell us how much 3 hours of repetitive, monotonous, error-prone, point-and-drool
menu-clicking is superior to a 5-line script which accomplishes the same task
in 3 seconds.

> And they say it is a conspiracy.

The Windows empire is nothing more than a confederacy of dunces.

> -Todd
>
> "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:vj2D6.4868$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > After six years of Windows and one GPF too many, I bought Redhat7 and
> > installed it.  I expected a learning curve, but nothing like I ended up
> > with.
> >
> > I got my cable modem, printer, cdrom drives, and daily programs going, and
> > it took me endless hours - most of them spent trying to fix my display
> > resolution, only to find out the config file was XF86config-4 and not
> > XF86config.  How the hell was I supposed to know that?
> >
> > Then I started tackling my digital camera.  I followed all the howtos I
> > could find - no joy.  And I still dealt with crappy looking fonts on my
> web
> > browsers.  And that's when I decided to throw in the towel.
> >
> > After wasting 2 solid weeks of vacation time accomplishing half of what I
> > could do in a few hours under windows (even with the crashes and GPFs) I
> > wiped my hard drive slick and threw on Windows ME.
> >
> > So my question is, for the home user, what's the point?  Has anyone
> learned
> > Linux from the ground up just to use it at home?  What's the advantage?
> I'm
> > convinced Linux is great if you want to run a server or whatever, but is
> > there a point in home users running Linux?
> >
> > thanks - eric

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:39:22 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> spicerun wrote:
> >
> > In article <vj2D6.4868$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I got my cable modem, printer, cdrom drives, and daily programs going,
> > > and it took me endless hours - most of them spent trying to fix my
> > > display resolution, only to find out the config file was XF86config-4
> > > and not XF86config.  How the hell was I supposed to know that?
> > >
> > > Then I started tackling my digital camera.  I followed all the howtos I
> > > could find - no joy.
> >
> > A word of advice....when dealing with Redhat make certain you read the
> > HOWTOs written especially for Redhat....In this case, that is how you
> > would have found out that Redhat uses XF86config-4.  You would need to get
> > the HOWTOs from your distribution disk (If you bought a Redhat Box Set) or
> > you need to read the HOWTOs on Redhat's site (www.redhat.com).
> >
> > Again, Redhat is notorious about doing minor 'tweaks' to the Linux
> > configuration that nobody else knows about.
> >
> >  >And I still dealt with crappy looking fonts on my
> > > web browsers.  And that's when I decided to throw in the towel.
> >
> > This is a Dead Giveaway!  TROLL!  Steve/88-keys is at it again...can
> > always count on him to bring up the fonts non-issue.  Tell me Steve, are
> > you employed by Microsoft directly, or are you an employee of a Public
> > Relations firm paid by Microsoft?
>
> Another typical response... accusing the poster of being an employee of
> Microsoft with any criticism at all of Linux. It reminds me of the
> French Revolution and the Jacobins accusing people of being foreign
> agents.

There has been a history of such in-duh-viduals.

> <snip>
>
> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:40:04 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:28:40 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >I see the same thing. But NT is not often used where it could, due
> >either a crash or lack of timeliness, do any damage to the work process.
> >I have seem it tried several times. One crash shut down a process line
> >permitting liquid nylon to harden in pipes and valves. 15 minutes off
> >line cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another caused
> >disruption of a refinery operation. It took several days to get the
> >plant cleaned up and back on line.
>
> Dumb question, but .... whatever happened to the concept of redundancy?

Missing such obvious computer principles correlates highly with using
Windows in general.

> I'll admit it adds to expense (specifically, equipment and software
> licensing costs), but as far as I can tell, many web server farms using
> NT have just that: web server farms, with multiple machines; this makes
> the reliability quite adequate -- maybe even 99.999 % (5 minutes/year)... :-)
>
> Granted, this is a far cry from industrial control processes.
> (How long does it take for nylon to harden in a tube line, just out
> of curiosity?  Are we talking hours, minutes, or seconds?)
>
> (ObLinuxPlug: Linux would work very well here :-) )
>

> >I build SCADA system also. Several US cities are running systems I
> >designed. But if the operator displays fail, the A-B PLCs and
> >specialized computers will still run everything OK. The operator, just
> >has to run around to check local controls like he did before the
> >computers were installed.
>
> Can't comment unless SCADA systems are things like those used in
> metropolitan traffic projects with gigantic status screens showing
> where every traffic light, streetcar, or train is.
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:22h:34m actually running Linux.
>                     We are all naked underneath our clothes.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:43:04 +1200

<snype>

> because it would cost them more than they paid for thier machine in the
> first place
> ya retard
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell
Upgrading a kernel. Well, I have SUSE Linux, I goto the suse ftp site,
download the latest rpm kernel, drop into super user mode, then rpm -Uvh
kernel.rpm and voila, reboot, and I have a new kernel.  Is it that hard,
no, so stop spreading FUD on issues you have no experience.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:44:19 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:23:41 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

> > >As a Democrat I suppose I should demand some money for my votes, but
> > >I've reformed over the last few years so you're welcome to 'em.
> > >

> > You must not be associated with any labor unions.
>
> Not by personal choice.  They take money out of my checks for a
> "negotiating fee" (for which I have no choice), but that's less than the
> regular union dues.  I do not like nor have much respect for labor
> unions as they are today.  Too much negative personal exposure.
>
> Sue

All the reasons for Labor Unions ever having existed disappeared by the 1950's.
Unfortunately, organized crime and other person of low-character have too much
money and power to lose by letting unions fade away.  Especially unskilled labor.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbuagh,soc.singles,misc.survivalism
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:46:59 -0400

Ted Clayton wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > > No.  Fascism is an economic system which is USUALLY accompanied
> > > by a police state and/or totalitarian government.
> >
> > The following would seem to support that it's first and foremost a
> > political system, though it'd also be worth checking a
> > business/economics dictionary.
> >
> > Note the origin of the word ... seems to indicate authoritarianism (though
> > its common usage tends to refer only to nationalist rightists)
> >
> > ===
> > how can I help you? >dict fascism
> > Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th Ed., Copyright 1991 Oxford Univ. Press se>
> >
> > /Fascism/ <<"f&SIz(@)m>> n.
> > 1. the totalitarian principles and organization of the extreme right-wing
> >    nationalist movement in Italy (1922-43).
> > 2. (also fascism)
> >    a. any similar nationalist and authoritarian movement.
> >    b. [disp.] any system of extreme right-wing or authoritarian views.
> >
> >   /Fascist/ n. & adj. /(also /fascist/)/. /Fascistic/ <<-"SIstIk>> adj.
> >   /(also /fascistic/)/.
> >
> >   It. fascismo f. fascio political group f. L fascis bundle: see /fasces/
>
> You won't get anywhere with this crowd by doing things like quoting
> dictionaries, especially if the dictionary points out that fascism is a
> right-wing ideology.  All this proves to them is that the radical
> left-wingers who control academia and do things like create
> dictionaries, study history and politics, etc. are lying about fascism
> so that they can advance their own fascist agenda.
>
> But I guess you'll find this out on your own soon enough.

I despise left-wingers and right-wingers equally.

I would have no greater joy than to line up a bunch of communists and
neo-nazis and have them all hold hands while they get executed together.

Poetic justice.

> Ted
>
> > ===
> >
> > --
> > Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> > elflord at panix dot com
>
> --
> Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily
> those of CMU.
>
> Altogether, I think we ought to read only books that bite and sting us.
> If the book does not shake us awake like a blow to the skull, why bother
> reading it in the first place? --  Franz Kafka, letter to Oskar Pollak,
> January 27, 1904

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:48:07 -0400

Tim Smith wrote:

> Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>`By contrast, Microsoft does extensive testing on every product, and on
> >>every patch, said Lipner. "People ask us why our security patches take so
> >>long. One of the reasons they take so long is because we test them."'
> >
> >Ah yes, extensive testing, which is why such glaring boners as the
> >ILOVEYOU/Melissa vulnerability got out the door.
>
> Let's see, on the one hand we have Microsoft, that tries to do things
> that are ambitious (perhaps foolish, but ambitious) like provide
> scripting and executable attachments in email, and has security bugs
> because of it.
>
> On the other hand, we have Unix, where people try to do something as
> routine and unambitious and trivial as write an FTP server, and it takes
> them *YEARS* to get rid of the buffer overflows...something any
> competent programmer would not have put into the code in the first
> place.

Actually, most of the buffer-overflow problem in Unix were removed within
months of the Morris worm.

This doesn't take years....only days to weeks.

> Something about glass houses or pots and kettles comes to mind...
>
> --Tim Smith

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:50:46 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:
> >
> > Martin McPhillips wrote:

>others

> > > How could anyone suggest that this poor young
> > > man be executed--
> > >
> > > http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/abrose.htm
> > >
> > > Is there any doubt that Glenn D. Yeadon's photograph
> > > betrays a solemn, thoughtful, sincere borderline
> > > mentally retarded upstanding citizen?
> >
> >  That requires a warning label, Martin. Shame on you.
> >
> >  As far as Glen's "White Rose" website is concerned, I'm
> > a bit perplexed that a search of "Nazi Hydra" on Google
> > only shows a couple dozen hits, and the vast majority of
> > them are Glen spamming several political newsgroups and
> > getting *zero* response. If you're curious, here's the
> > search,...
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Nazi+Hydra%22&btnG=Search&meta=site%3Dgroups
> >
> >  ...and for kicks you could click on 'view thread' to see
> > noone (apart from the neo-Nazi Vange) responding to it.
> > The few times it appears in an ongoing thread is when I
> > was contrasting Glen's call for nationalizing/naturalizing
> > California's energy industry with other fascist calls to
> > nationalize industries.
> >
> >  Doesn't seem like much of a 'liberal resource', does it?
> >

> Nope.  I think he's worried that he won't get enough electricity to
> power his air-conditioner that the state bought him.  He's looking for
> utopia, but he won't find it in the U.S.  Actually, not on this planet
> he won't.

I find it extremely amusing that Sliverdick doesn't look for his
communist utopia in any of the numerous communist paradises such
as North Korea, Cuba, China, or Russia.

> > _
> > Rob

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.