From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE 2.1 oopsie!
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:29:12 +0500

In article <kI7u6.6953$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete Goodwin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did do rpm -i *.rpm, despite your protestations otherwise.

You could not have.  Not to update KDE to version 2.1.  It will complain
loudly and refuse to do the install.

> No I didn't. I said it was KDE 2.1

Which is precisely why rpm -i could not have worked.

> And as someone else has pointed out, it is possible to do an rpm -i
> *.rpm.

That someone else was wrong.

> I couldn't care less wether you buy it or not. It happened. You want to
> deny it, go ahead.

But you claim to have used rpm -i to update from the base version of KDE
that came with Suse to KDE 2.1.   This wil not work unless you used the
--force option.   Using rpm -i --force would explain the problems you are
having.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:31:41 +0500

In article <_E7u6.6916$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete Goodwin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nope, sorry, I'm not wrong.

You are.  It is simply not possible to do what you said you did and get
no errors and have KDE 2.1 installed.   It will not work.  Have you
actually checked to see what version of KDE you are really running?
What does rpm -Vp *.rpm on the list of KDE 2.1 rpms say?

Gary

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:33:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes. If I have a copy of gcc, even a modified version of it, the person
>who gave it to me has the *obligation* to give me the source to gcc and
>his modifications, should I ask him to. So if there's a bug in MY COPY,
>I am guaranteed that I can patch it.

No, you're guaranteed that you have source; it may not be practical to fix
the bug, and you may not be able to fix the bug in your copy, even though
someone else has a copy in which the bug was fixed.

>I don't care about the original code.

You should, since the only claim made is that the *original code* is in some
way "not free".

>I'm talking about the copy you're
>using. So it is my understanding that the Windows 2000 TCP/IP stack is
>based on the BSD TCP/IP code. If some grave bug surfaces in that part of
>the code and I would use W2K, I'm still at the mercy of Microsoft even
>if the original source code is out in the open.

Yes, you are.  If this bugs you, don't do it.  You'd be just as at their mercy
if it were a reimplementation, and it would have more bugs.

>So the *use* of that copy of code that was originally BSD licensed is
>encumbered.

No.  The use of certain *additional* code is encumbered.  The BSD-licensed
code is not encumbered.  As it happens, you can't make "ftp.exe" do anything
without the use of the "encumbered" code, but the BSD-licensed code is
still just as free as it ever was.

>This is not possible with GPLed code.

No, it isn't.  First off, you can't reuse it unless the encumberances it
*already has* are acceptable to you.  Secondly, every copy of any GPL'd
program comes with encumberances which are strange and unusual.  With
any other license in the world, if I can get permission to distribute code
under that license, I am allowed to distribute it with whatever else I
want.  With GPL'd code, I must not distribute it with other code that
is not *also* openly available.  It is encumbered; I can't just reuse it.

>Have I spelled it out enough?

You have, but the end result is that the BSD-licensed code is always and
forever free, and you can use it however you want, and the GPL-licensed code
is always encumbered, and you can't reuse it freely.

I don't object to this, any more than I object to Microsoft distributing
code under horrible terms that I generally don't feel like accepting.
However, I object to the portrayal of the GPL'd code as "more free".  It's
less free; you have fewer options in using it.

-s
--
Copyright 2001, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:35:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Not every file licensed under the GPL can be given to a friend, according
>>to RMS. I had written many files licensed under the GPL, and he told me not
>>to give them to my friends.

>I have quite a feeling why that was. Do we really need to rehash that
>topic? It's been solved (for now)...

Has it?  I haven't heard of people being told not to give GPL'd files to
friends.

-s

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:46:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:

>> > I didn't ask you what the CONTENT of the data is, I asked
>> > you what kind of DEVICE you're trying to pipe it through.
>>
>> Oh.  Multiple dual PIII 9 somethings.  Why, you think G6es might be better?
>>

> Did I ask you for the CPU???  NO, you dipshit

> I will ask you a third time.

> What I/O DEVICE are you using to conduct 120 mbps I/O?

> If you do not provide the answer to the question this time,
> I'm through with you and your nonsense.

> Now...consider your answer....carefully.

The same way you considered your McKusick-Karels algorithm story.

I see.

Well lets see, you retarded bastard, what sorts of I/O bugs have been reported
at that speed under freebsd in the last year or so?

Any unix engineer worth his weight in CHICKENS should be able to answer that
without any kind of problem.

You are a very, very poor engineer.  Great god almighty, I wonder what *I*
could charge.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:47:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martin Eden wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, the usenet kook Aaron R. Kulkis
>> embarassed himself with the following drivel...
>> ~snip~

>> >Before we do....
>> >
>> >Tell us what the McKusick-Karels algorithm is, and in what way it differs
>> >from the power-of-two allocator.
>> >
>> >I have no interest in starting a conversation with a moron who is
>> >just throwing out terms which he himself has not the slightest understanding.
>> >

>> In other words, you don't know what you are talking about. This despite the fact
>> that you demanded to discuss the subject in detail. (LOL!)
>>
>> Well for once you are honest, albeit in a roundabout way at least...
>>

> Wrong.  I merely wanted to ascertain that he has at least an idea
> of what he's talking about before engaging in thread that quickly
> devolves into

> me: long explanation

> him: why?

> me: another long explanation

> him: why?

> me: further long explanation

> him: why

> etc., etc., etc.

> Be asking chad for some sign that he has some clue about what he's
> talking about, I'm simply qualifying him as someone who is interested
> in an actual discussion, as opposed to some clod who has no motive
> other than to waste my time.

> Since Mr. Everett provided an intelligent response, we can now
> proceed.

I cant help but notice that you didnt actually proceed, dresden.

=====.

--
"The city's all wrapped up in plastic like an electronic cocoon;
if you lay in the street you can hear it humming"

------------------------------

From: BrendaLee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:45:26 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> BrendaLee wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:
> > >
> > > BrendaLee wrote:
> >
> > I don't buy new computers anymore. I rebuild. It is much much
> > cheaper. It is also saving on the landfills or wherever the cpu
> > heaven turns out to be. It has a faster access time and you can
>
> 2nd world and 3rd world countries are more than happy to get
> 80386 machines....especially 3rd-world countries.
>
> The best thing to do to get this stuff to them is to give your
> old stuff to and IBM or HP representative.  They organize shipping
> old hardware to faraway lands to people who sincerely want it.

Hey, Thanks Aaron. I will do just that.

BrendaLee

--
BrendaLee
Lady DreamCatcher

From: BrendaLee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:50:23 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> OOPS!! I meant "Lady DreamCatcher"!

Hee. Tis quite alright. Chaser/Catcher

< both are in the thick of things >

smile
BrendaLee

ps

Does GreyCloud hold some significance for you?

BrendaLee
Lady DreamCatcher
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software <gloat!>
Date: 21 Mar 2001 23:53:39 GMT

Shades <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:3ab6b242$0$28233$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >
: > Now THERE is a close anology to open/close source and data security.
: >
: > What would you rather own - a lock made up of parts that EVERYONE knows
: the
: > secrets to - or one that no one has seen the specs for and doesn't know
: > what's inside or how to crack it?

: I disagree.   Some(almost all) of the most durable encryption algorithms are
: the ones that have been made open to the public and have been beaten up over
: the years.  If the strength of your algorithm is to keep it a secret from
: everyone, you are in trouble.   The secrecy all resides in the key(s).

: One can argue the same regarding Linux. The code is wide open and one can
: use it to find security holes and open it up but eventually people find it
: and the news gets out pretty fast on how to resolve it.

Regardless of that, security through obscurity has
never proven to be an effective measure against
unauthorized access.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:59:54 -0500

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Kulkis didnt say that, you ignorant turd, *I* did.
> >>
> >> -----.
> >>
> >> --
> >> "The city's all wrapped up in plastic like an electronic cocoon;
> >> if you lay in the street you can hear it humming"
>
> > oh....
>
> > *plonk*
>
> Oh no, ive been fake killfiled with a 31337 "*plonk*".
>
> *sob*

That was pretty funny.

> -----.
>
> --
> "The city's all wrapped up in plastic like an electronic cocoon;
> if you lay in the street you can hear it humming"

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: BrendaLee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:57:35 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> BrendaLee wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:
> > >

> > And that is cool.. What I am wondering is how illiterate can she
> > be after over 5 yrs. Or do you mean internal workings wise?
>
> My wifes problem is she can't seem to remember what I taught her... and
> its not her but the stressful situation she is in... Caring for her
> Alzheimer Mother.  In this state (Washington) the regs are nothing more
> than weasel words, so from day to day its always a fire to put out.
> Shes been doing this heavy stress for 5 years now, so I was surprised
> when she found CDE easy to use and get what she wanted done.

I am sorry. She is under a lot of pressure. I took care of my mom
for a number of years. And it is very stressful.  I imagine the
computer is a chance to escape for her as well as to learn. I wish
I would have had that world open to me then.  But that is okay. I
am making up for lost time now. Hee...

> >  >She's going to hang on to her HP for now only
> > > because she knows people in the Bridge rooms at MSNs' game zone.  The
> > > game zone locks out other operating systems to use it.
> >
> > Don't ya just love that?
>
> Its too bad they didn't do it in java,.. at least more people could
> enjoy the bridge room.

some truth there.

> Wife has made a lot of friends there and I won't
> get in her way.  When we get a new and larger house this spring I'll set
> up one windows machine for her bridge and hopefully a couple of Sun
> Blades for the rest of our use.

It is very nice that you care so much about her pleasure.

watch out, or I will have to call you sunshine rather than
greycloud. :)

> > > Her needs are
> > > spread sheets, for accounting, appointment book, for reminding her, and
> > > then just surfing the web, mostly for medical information. (Care giver)
> > > She thought of Win2k but she would have to buy a new computer and get
> > > new software.
> >
> > I don't buy new computers anymore. I rebuild. It is much much
> > cheaper. It is also saving on the landfills or wherever the cpu
> > heaven turns out to be. It has a faster access time and you can
> > keep much more current once you make the initial investment.
> >

> Same here... I've managed to get a VAX 4000 for the price of shipping.
> It came with VAX fortran and VAX C.  Of course I've had training from
> DEC on VMS, but I like it when you get a programming idea and the O/Ss'
> libraries can support the idea.  Their compilers have never let me
> down.  But its just a side issue here, I could pay $40 from DECCUS to
> get DECs basic, fortran, pascal, cobal, and Bliss compilers including
> the latest version of vms.
> My last x86 machine I donated to charity.

I was selling the chips and ditching the boxes. Now that I know
another way exists.

> > Good luck,
> > BrendaLee
> > >

> Nice handle "Lady DreamChaser"!

thank you!
:)
BrendaLee

--
BrendaLee
Lady DreamCatcher

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:00:29 -0600
From: "Public <Anonymous_Account>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:11:42 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
 ^^^^
Correction:  Unix should be UNIX

---
This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
It was posted with the use of anonymizing software at
http://anon.xg.nu
---