From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:53:37 +1200

pip wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > Hell yes. But atleast you don't see Germany or Japan trying to be the
> > world policeman. They have learnt their leason.
>
> So who will be? Us (UK)? the UN? NATO? Don't make me laugh! I am _SO_
> glad that America actually gets up of its arse and DOES something. I
> wish we did more. Our special relationship with America _is_ special
> because generally we agree with much of the American sentiment. I don't
> see Blair intervening in the middle east, and I wouldn't want cook to be
> sent just in case he starts more trouble. It is just a shame that their
> new president seems rather detached from international affairs (apart
> from bring an idiot).

There is a difference between being a leader, and being a bully. For
example, on the US's back door step you have Cuba, after 30 years, the
US still thinks Cuba is a threat to their national security! how is that
possible in a country whose economy is going down the toilet? Generally
speaking I agree with the US's policies such as blowing the shit out of
Saddam Husian, however, when you start crossing that line between
leading and bullying, then one needs to look at the larger picture.

> >However, US still
> > haven't learnt it, even with all the nut cases out there wanting to blow
> > up US government buildings.
>
> Hmmmm. Don't speak to fast as if you remember we also have our problems
> with the natives. Still if you want to promote an white-tower argument
> that is up to you.

Look at the number of autocracies and dictatorships America supported
during the cold war, and the number of ethnic groups that were
repressed, the you will understand why there are fanatics running a
muck.

> >You only need to look at the US's
> > involvement in Somalia to show how arrogance + ignorance = disaster.
>
> You should not comment on things you know nothing about. Somalia was/IS
> a blood bath and like it or not I am glad that the USA has helped
> restore some order in some parts. It _was_ a mess - conflict is. Would
> you prefer to leave the innocent to be hacked to death or shot? FFS!
>
> We take our security for granted - you WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many people
> fear for their lives each and every day. If there is a world policeman
> then I would prefer it to be the USA rather than something you think up
> any day.
>
> If you think that the innocent should die and we should do nothing then
> I pity you. It is an argument that I just can't come to terms with. It
> is against every little thing I believe in. I just don't understand.

My father was in their for the last 11 months of the UN mission (he was
involved with the clean up and leave operation), and the US had little
time for negotiating between the two factions.  When they (US) went in,
they did a vietnam, one soldier was shot, they would wipe out the whole
street. That sort of approach doesn't exactly help anyone. When ever
there was a peace talk, neither side trusted the UN, even though they
were an entirely different group of nations.

> >It
> > is one thing helping a country, it is another thing to tell a country
> > what to do.
>
> Fuck that! I guess that you would not pass comment on Nazi Germany if
> you were back then.

I would, however, its funny the US never did anything about during the
15 years of hell in Germany.  Mind you, the US then was not as arrogant
as it is now. Maybe GWB should look into the past before making another
mistakes, such as the pushing for the re-birth of the old starwars
project.

> **********
>
> >However, what I can say, is, the Soviet Union was the first
> > to develop biological weapons, with the first one being developed, one
> > carrying a antibiotic resistant strain of the smallpox virus.  The US
> > said it was impossible, the Soviet Union proved them wrong.  The US had
> > one space station, the Soviety union threw up 5 into orbit.  Little
> > facts most people in the US fail to comprehend, that there is NO ONE
> > country that has contributed to human technological advance, but many,
> > and until this happens, the rampant arrogance will continue to grow.
>
> You have got SUCH a big chip on your shoulder! What's the problem? Could
> not get a better paid job in the USA? If I were single I would be headed
> off to CA faster than I can say US intervention.
>
> I mean really, I think we should stick to computing. I hate these racist
> flame wars that just promote hate.
>
> Long live the USA. If I need someone to protect my arse, I know who I'd
> choose.
The US has some great attributes that many countries should adopt.
However, maybe the US should adopt the same approach China has to North
Korea, "Our nations are different, however, it is not our place to
interfer into your internal policies".  Instead of trying to push the
democracy wheel barrow into China, and create instability, the US should
focus on strengthening ties with China, and let China, when the time
comes decide which way they will hend into the future.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:55:08 +1200

<snype>
> Christ your lucky. I couldn't get the garage door to open. As soon as
> the power came back I removed Linux and the garage door opened. Fuck
> this Linux crap.

LOL!

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:58:03 +1200

<snype>
> >>                      B'ichela
> >>
> > What an excellent post, COLA is all the better for it, I think B'ichela
> > has captured the spirit of adventure/learning and persistence, that leads
> > one to succeed in the face of numerous difficulties.
> >
> > If I wore a hat, i'd take it off to this lady :)
>
> Well if she were to come to Switzerland I'd offer her a job. Think about
> it, great country, excellent standard of living and Unix people can name
> their price.
Just looked through the local paper today at jobs in Wellington:

UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, JAVA, UNIX, Lotus Notes, C/C++ UNIX, Linux/UNIX.

Salaries ranging from 65K up to 120K.  Great standard of living, cheap,
clean and green country and a woman as a prime minister, what more can a
person ask for?

Matthew Gardiner

From: Phill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:03:26 +0100

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> [snip]

:-( You saw my post before I cancelled it. That's three cancelled posts
in 24 hours from me. I am becoming a hot head (my other post was
slagging of Adapetec and their 1394 drivers). Next time I am going to
count to ten before I press send and remember not to talk politics
(besides which I made a stupid assumption that you were from the UK -
doh! A quick look at you email address or headers would have given me
half a clue!). I am but a humble nerd.

I'm sticking to computing.

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:08:02 GMT

[snips]

> > Too bad you can't do it yourself, since your running Windows 98.
>
> On my command, JUMP!

You seem to be confusing two issues, and you do it repeatedly.

The first is "Obey, boy, follow my commands", which I agree, one shouldn't
do as a general rule.

The second is supporting a claim.  In this case, you've apparently made a
claim, relating to your a) not using Windows despite the appearance that you
are, and b) editing headers on your news client to support the appearance
that you're running Windows.

That claim has been challenged.  The request above is not for you to play
"good doggie", but to support your claim, by providing some supporting
evidence.  However, instead of doing so, you instead dodge the issue by
setting up a straw man: suggesting that the request is actually of the
former sort.

That leads to the result that you have now committed not one, but two
errors; first, in failure to support the claim or retract it, and second,
committing an intellectual faux pas.

Now that you've realized your secondary error and are going to correct it, I
assume you'll then meet the request for supporting evidence of your claim.

Actually, I assume no such thing; I fully expect you'll ignore this post,
respond with another "jump!" or equivalent, or spew off on some totally
irrelevant tangent.  But I was, at least, somewhat willing to give you the
benefit of the doubt. :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: SQL Server sales up 44% in Q1
Date: 20 Apr 2001 09:09:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew Gardiner says...
> >
> >Link please.  I want evidence, please.
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5669586.html?tag=mn_hd

That talks about a 44% year-over-year increase, not the same as the 44%
increase from previous quarter implied by your subject line and use of
the word "spike".

Upgrades from MSFT SQL 7 are the most obvious explanation for a sales
increase as compared to Q1 CY2000.

--
Bruce R. Lewis                          http://brl.sourceforge.net/
I rarely read mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:10:36 +1200

Phill wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> :-( You saw my post before I cancelled it. That's three cancelled posts
> in 24 hours from me. I am becoming a hot head (my other post was
> slagging of Adapetec and their 1394 drivers). Next time I am going to
> count to ten before I press send and remember not to talk politics
> (besides which I made a stupid assumption that you were from the UK -
> doh! A quick look at you email address or headers would have given me
> half a clue!). I am but a humble nerd.
>
> I'm sticking to computing.
Same, I'm sticking with computing and reading more books.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:17:27 GMT

[snips]

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Even the more typical one:
>
> "I bought a copy of Linux, it worked perfectly on my computer, however,
> now my car doesn't start, Linux is crap!"

Not necessarily so farfetched. :)

I fired up RedHat 5.2 I think it was, some time back.  Had some problems,
but nothing too terribly nasty - on my end.  I was networked to another PC
(the wife's) at the time, though, and weird things started happening with
her machine, running Win98.  It locked up.  It wouldn't let her log in.  It
timed out constantly when accessing the internet.  It was, generally
speaking, unusable.  When I nuked RH, though, her machine stopped having
these problems and went back to normal.

Since then I've run Mandrake 7.2(?) and 8.0B3 without any such problems; MDK
is now my usual OS, although I keep WinME around for playing games.  To this
day, I have no idea _why_ running Linux on this box made hers unusable, but
it did.  Frankly, I wouldn't have thought it possible[1], and I sure as hell
wasn't expecting that to happen, but it did.

Go figger.

[1] other than, say, if it were hammering the LAN so badly that nothing
would cope with it properly... which didn't seem to be the case.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:21:45 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> how come you are running Windows 98?
>
> how come you posted it using HTML encoding?

Really really really great camouflage, I guess.  Aaron has his slrn
newsreader pipe all his posts to a special Perl script, which adds the
extra encodings.  Can't be too careful with all the kooks attacking
Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris boxes these days.

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:23:42 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Public " wrote:

> lungs.  The man was allegedly became irrate shortly after entering the store and
> discovering that CompuUSA was no longer carrying the Windows 98 Operating System.

Are you kidding?!  If Windows 98 suddenly became extinct, Mr. Military
Man would go on a Windows-sized rampage, wiping out all Linux, FreeBSD,
and Solaris users.

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:28:45 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Too bad you can't do it yourself, since your running Windows 98.
>
>On my command, JUMP!

Koolis, wake up!  You've been OUTED!

------------------------------

From: "pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:32:59 -0400

> Then why does Hollywood use them a lot??

That's not design =) It's a common misconception, what they do there is just
rendering / 3d animation (I think). No actual web or print design as a
designer would think of it =) I'm talking about actually designing a printed
piece or a web site. Doesn't often happen in Unix. Unix is more the server /
backend type of thing. All the frontend stuff is mostly designed on Windows
and MacOS (not necessarily programmed on those 2 platforms, but designed).

> I think my sore spot with a lot of PeeCees is the lack of ECC memory.
> You didn't say if you had that kind of memory in your box or not.  There
> was a report by Texas Instruments on memory chips. Their conclusions
> were to utilize ECC chips (Error detecting and Error correcting).  This
> helps in keeping the kernel from crashing from random bit failures.
> You have to just see an SGI in action to believe it.  These are awesome
> machines.
> I saw one demonstrated on ZDTV once.  Only drawback is that it cost
> $35k.

ECC memory doesn't affect performance in any way. It's actually a little
slower than normal memory. But It's so easy nowadays to get perfect memory,
I see no need for extra expense of ECC unless you're running...you guessed
it...A unix server =) But hey, I'm a designer...what do I know ; )

SGI's nowadays are just expensive. As a designer, I consider even Macs
expensive so SGI is way up there on the curve of diminishing returns (for
your dollar). It no longer has the aura of power it once had, because now we
have 200$ gaming cards on PC's that can put a 2500$ Oxygen graphics card
from 1.5 years ago to abject shame. Just take a look at the new games coming
down the pipe and the GeForce 3...It's near-movie quality rendering in
realtime.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 20 Apr 2001 08:17:48 -0500

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:46:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Larry E., Prepare to be assimilated.

...into a dying company.  The title of your post:

"SQL Server sales up 44% in Q1" indicates
are that either didn't actually read the article or
your a liar.

says.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:36:25 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows 98 and denial

Are there any Windows 98 addicts in here so addicted to this infectious
drug, that they begin hallucinating that they're not really running
Netscape on Windows 98, but some other newsreader with modified
headers?  Actually, I'm running FreeBSD, but I modified my headers to
say "Linux 2.2.12".  See, if you forge your headers to make it look like
you're running a more popular OS than you're presently running, you can
scare away all your potential attackers.

And yes, sed really DOES work on binary executables.  That's how I did
it.

Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:37:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nomen Nescio
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> clacked:
>> <snype>
>> >
>> > because it would cost them more than they paid for thier machine in the
>> > first place
>> > ya retard
>> >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>> >
>> > men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
>> > more even than death
>> > - bertrand russell
>> Upgrading a kernel. Well, I have SUSE Linux, I goto the suse ftp site,
>> download the latest rpm kernel, drop into super user mode, then rpm -Uvh
>> kernel.rpm and voila, reboot, and I have a new kernel.  Is it that hard,
>> no, so stop spreading FUD on issues you have no experience.
>
>why look, it's another lying sack of shit unix headcase! he snips the
>context and then accuses me of ignorance! way to go fuckhead. if you
>ever wonder why linux has gone nowhere with endusers reread yourself.

We should just count ourselves lucky we don't have you as an advocate...
you're getting far too wound up for usenet, it's not that important, take a
few valium and relax. It'll all seem better in the morning.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:05:01 +0000

MH wrote:

> If you work on something for two hours on any system and don't save it every
> few minutes you're getting your due.
>
> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
> > >

> > Yes I particularly love the way it regularly crashes just when you are
> > about to save the past 2 hours work and lose it all - great feature that.

That is ridiculous.

Previously, when I was using OS/2, I had DeScribe as my main
wordprocessor. I had autosave turned off, never did intermediate saves
and I _never_ lost more than an average of five words in a document I
was working on. Sure, DeScribe would crash occasionally (this seems
inevitable these days with application software), but every time it
would come back up with the unsaved document restored to within a
maximum of ten words or so. OS/2 simply never crashed.

On linux, I use Applix Office, which seems to have implemented the same
feature: I still don't have autosave enabled, I stubbornly refuse to do
intermediate saves, and on the rare occasion that Applix throws in the
towel (sofar once, due to a dodgy embedded WPG-graphic), my document
simply comes up again.

I know I keep repeating myself, but it sure looks like the Windows users
of this world are _very_ easily pleased. Personally, I like software
that considers _my_ work as the most important part.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:42:35 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snype>
>
> I would more likely say you're on an ego trip to Bill Gates's heaven.
> What you were literately saying is that the average Joe and Jane are as
> thick as two short planks, which I agree with.  However, on the other
> hand, you say they shouldn't need to learn anything.

Not quite.

An end user shouldn't need to know any more than "turn on power, when pretty
interface comes up, use mouse to click on icon for program, or click on
document to have it open with program."  They might _choose_ to learn more,
and that's great, but if they _have_ to learn more, then we, as software
developers, whether at the application, UI or OS level, have failed,
miserably, to produce.

How long does it take a person to learn how to use a typewriter, in order to
produce a document?  About 10 seconds.  How long _should_ it take a person
to learn how to use a word processor to produce a document?  About 10
seconds.  Add in another 30 to learn the notion of "save documents in a
folder" and another 30 to learn how to create and rename folders, throw in
the notion of spell checking and thesaurus and the like, add in the idea of
how to safely shut down the program and the machine, and the total learning
time, for someone who has never used a PC before, should be about 10
minutes, total.

Granted, no OS + application combination is quite there yet, but some are
closer than others.  It should never, under any circumstances, be
_necessary_ for a user to know a single thing about hardware configuration
issues, or how to set up user privileges, or how to rebuild a kernel or how
to edit a startup configuration file.  If they _choose_ to learn those
things, great, more power to them - but if they are forced to do so, then
the developers have dropped the ball, big time.

> Well, I would hate
> to know a world where you didn't have to learn a skill to do something.

Pick up a hammer.  Learning time: about 2 seconds.  Typewriter: about 10
seconds.  Telephone?  About 30 seconds, other than for extras.  Using a
typical PC?  Let's not kid ourselves; what _should_ be a 10 minute operation
can take hours, days, even weeks.  That screams bad design and development.

> Maybe I should go to a medical school and say to all the students that
> they are wasting their time learning, instead, surgery should be made
> easier so you don't need to learn anything.

You seem to confuse the ideas of "You shouldn't have to learn to do
something basic" with the idea of "you shouldn't learn how to do something
non-basic."  They're not the same concept.  I'm all for people learning how
to configure everything from firewalls to load balancing to kernel tuning
and on... but it should not be necessary to learn more than an extremely
small number of simplr things in order to use your PC.

Further, you seem to be oblivious to the differences between a computer and
other technologies, such as, say, cars.  A car requires some fairly
extensive training, despite its simple interface.  A car, however, is
basically a passive device; it isn't going to drive itself (not this week,
at least), it isn't smart enough to stop itself if it is approaching another
vehicle, or a tree, or a stoplight.  You have to make those decisions, you
have to initiate those actions.

A computer, on the other hand, can, quite readily, do those things, and be
an active device.  Many programs auto-save documents, for example, at some
timed interval, and further, either prompt or automatically save when you
close the program or attempt to shut down the machine.  This is a good
thing, it means you're not going to close the application and lose all your
data simply because you thought you'd saved but you actually hadn't.

So why this notion can't be extended to, say, diagnosing networking faults,
or coping with hardware conflicts, I don't know.  Why the user should _have_
to do any thinking beyond "Start computer, start program, work on data, quit
and save" is unclear - as is the advantage to him having to do so.  The
advantage in his being _able_ to do so is apparent, but not the advantage in
his _having_ to do so.

> That is they kind of
> mentality that screw society.

What, making life easier for people?  I see.  So you don't actually use a
computer, you do all your calculations on paper, do all your filing in a
filing cabinet, cook your food over a fire, and so forth?  You have shunned
electricity, gas, automobiles, modern medicine, TVs, bicycles, telephones,
all those things which make modern living easier?

Of course not; you use technology to make your life easier - as do most
people.  Why, then, would you spurn the notion that the technology can be
simplified further?  Would you argue against a car that can drive itself,
never having a collision, because it means users don't have to learn how to
use it?  Why, then, be against the simplifiication of the computing process?

> I thought that type of thinking was
> removed back in the 19th century, when the poor and women weren't given
> an education because they thought it was more trouble than it was
> worth.  You STILL after 200 years maintain your elitist overtures, and
> you have learn't nothing from history.  What you are saying is, "I want
> people to remain thick so that I can still keep my very pathetic job in
> a tech support department".

Wrong.  The argument is not to _prevent_ people learning things, but to not
_require_ that they learn what is, for the most part, a totally irrelevant
body of knowledge.  I want to write documents in my word processor - of what
possible relevance is learning about tuning my sound card settings?  None.
So why learn it - unless I want to?

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Bill Gates Is Ramming His Thick Meaty Cock Up Torvald's Weak
Mincing Ass
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:46:05 GMT

[snips]

> > That'd be Usenet censorship, and we don't want that, do we?
> >
> > But call your opponent a NetNazi and you lose...
>
> Nope...that's not sufficient
>
> You only lose if you call your opponent Hitler.

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one"
"whoever mentioned  the Nazis has automatically lose whatever argument was
in progress"

See that part "Nazis"?

See that word up there "NetNazi", which you claim is insufficient?

I can find you a remedial reading class, if you'd like.