From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Lies from a Linux "advocate"
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:00:32 +1200

Hullo wrote:

> I note you are all compelled to lie and falsify postings (the below comment
> attributed to me is fake).
>
> I guess it's true what I was told- you people make things up compulsively.
> You do your cause a great deal of harm when you lie as it reflects on
> everything you say. All I said was WINDOWS 2000 ROCKS.
>
> Assume nothing else.

Well, when there is an earth quake in Wellington, not only does NT rock,
but the television, computer, bookshelf and linux box.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel versus Sparc
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:04:43 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Yeah, no crap.
>
> *** NEWS FLASH ***
>
> Writing code that works only on 64-bit platforms may crash on 32-bit
> platforms!
>
> *** NEWS FLASH ***

Almost a tautology.  Anyway, 2^26 = 64 Mb, still 6 bits left.
In any case, the code works if the size of the array is reduced
to well below 16 Mb, but of course the data set that can be
computed is much smaller than it needs to be for this task.

Chris

--
"Where do you want to hang today?"

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:05:50 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> I prefer "startx".

I seem to recall that Mr. C is one who
cannot get linux loaded properly <grin>.

Chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:03:39 GMT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:28:55 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>theRadical wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:50:03 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Mounted bayonets at 20 paces.
>> >
>> >How about it, big boy.
>>
>> all you need is a few good bitch slaps.  show up bitch.
>
>Prepare to be eviscerated.

show up.

>I live in Detroit.

bfd.

>come to Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten.

another geeky white guy drops a name and thinks that makes him tough.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:07:00 +1200

Hullo wrote:

> Wonderful product from Microsoft. Go get it and get used to the future
> dudes.
>
> Work on politeness as your manners reflect badly on your linux cause..maybe
> take some exercise and eat more fruit to relieve your evident stress and
> aggression. Learn to relax.
> Assume nothing.
> LT

What is you job? what are your qualifications? how old are you?

my guess to the above questions:

Hullo's Job: Works at either KFC or Whimpies (I think it is a UK fast
foods chain)
Hullo's Qualifications: Degree in deep-fry-a-chicken-and-chips-ology
How old is Hullo: He is a pimply faced 15 year old with a chip on his
shoulder.

ps. Some should give this little toe-rag a good kick up the ass and haul
him back to primary school where he belongs.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:07:46 GMT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:27:59 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>theRadical wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:26:20 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Wrong on two counts.
>> >
>> >I said, by your logic, I should, as a government agent, be able
>> >to confiscate your car
>>
>> wrong, you said you WERE a government agent
>
>Yes, I am.

well then, show up and confiscate my vehicle asshole.

>> and that you WERE going to
>> confiscate my vehicle because you WANTED to.
>
>When I feel like it, I will.  Because you have not proved
>sufficient NEED for it.

please show up.  you are so full of shit.  just like the ship captain
thing.

>> >Did I give you an exact date?
>> >
>> >a) yes
>> >B) NO
>>
>> C)  so fucking what?
>>
>> at least you admit that you were going to show up, flip flopper.
>>
>> you are nothing more than an arrogant hateful asshole liar.
>

>Yes, I admit, I am arrogant and hateful when I lie to assholes.
>

>> >hope that helps
>>
>> the kulkis strategy:
>>
>> attack, dodge, attack, accuse, dodge.
>
>close
>
>Audi, Dodge, Audi, Accura, Dodge.

that goes in the dodge category.

>> >So says the scarecrow maker.
>>
>> so says the lying asshole who can't back up anything he says.

>That's not a very female accepting thing to say.

i guess you would know pussy.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:11:33 +1200

Karel Jansens wrote:

> Previously the winvocate mantra was: "Windows is soooo good, why would I
> not pay for it?"
>
> ... which made kinda sense; after all, they already _had_ paid for it,
> so why not rationalise your faux pas.
>
> In the past two or three days I've come at least twice across posts
> which essentially say: "OK, so Windows is too expensive, let's pirate
> the crap out of it. It's okay, because the corporate sharks pay for us
> pirates anyway".
>
> ... which is weird. Has Windows suddenly become less than worth its
> price? Has Microsoft decided to take out some precious features so that
> suddenly Windows has become less valuable?
>
> Or is this how winvocates perceive free software?
>
> It's kinda like certain people (with initials CM) who go around the
> newsgroups for _years_, touting Windows 9x as God's Gift To the
> Community, and then suddenly changing their tune to: "Well, Windows 95
> was crap, obviously; and NT wasn't too good either. But Win2k... now
> that's the best operating system ever".
>
> You gotta laugh, eh?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Karel Jansens
> "You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

And of course, as soon as Windows XP is released you will have all the
winadvocates claim that Win2k, win 9x and win ME are crap, and XP is the
way of the future. Solaris, from day one, it has just been getting
better after each release.  Linux, same situation. Windows, stuck in the
same rut for, well, at least 15 years.  I see no progress what so ever,
the only people who are ammused are the end luser, who, like most
simpletons are ammused by the simplist of items, a bit like how flies
are attracked to light.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:13:09 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Figured it couldn't be compiler bugs!  After some
> > more dicking around with cleaning up some of
> > the myriad of warnings, I noticed that the
> > bad function was pushing an array of structures
> > onto the stack.  Looking at the size of the array,
> > found it was 64 Mb!
> >
> > At that point, we realized that the Intel platform
> > was the cause of the trouble
>
> Really?  The Intel platform, eh?  Not, say, the programmer who created this
> monstrosity in the first place without a shred of consideration for the
> possible impact of doing it, no, not his fault, must be the platform.

Point well taken.  My point is that the PC platform, although powerful,
is still on the low end of ability (and cost, of course).  The
engineer who tried to port this code was ignorant of either that
64 Mb structure, or the limitation of the PC.  As was I; I had
to come in later and find the problem.

In any case, it wasn't my code!  And even though the code was
not good, the engineer could still justifiably sneer at
the PC platform.  (You should have heard him gripe about
Windoze.... poor guy had never had to deal with it before.)

Chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: 24 Apr 2001 02:13:40 GMT

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:35:50 GMT, webgiant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:31:47 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Why didn't you ask for help?  too worried that your fragile ego will be crushed?
>>You are probably like the thousand who have tried Linux, then suddenly find out
>>that just by clicking the start button doesn't make you a computer expert.
>>Instead of eating humble pie and asking for help, they then have the nerve to
>>post on COLA to bitch about the fact that they were to incompetent to get
>>something to work.
>>
>>I read the documentation, and actually follow the instructions, and voila, I have
>>a working CD-Writer. So get over it, and grow up.
>
> And if recompiling the kernel is something which you would utterly
> detest, get Mandrake 7.2.  It has IDE CD burner support precompiled
> into the kernel.
Yeah thats right, it made burning cd's very easy in my case.
Whats more the Mandrake7.2 cd was from a Magazine costing $16.

>>Matthew Gardiner
>>

>>"kirk@do_not_spam" wrote:
>>
>>> I spend the last 3 hours trying to mount a CD on linux and finally
>>> gave up. I wasted too much time.
When I spend a technology I don't understand, I alwayslearn something useful,
and find that I get the time back later, doing something harder, something
that I now understand, due to the former experience.

>>> Booted windows NT, stuck the CD in,
>>> and on I went to work.
Sure that is easier, but your still locked into NT, and still don't have any
real understanding of what happens or why.

>>> If anyone thinks this junk will compete with windows they must be
It not only competes, it blows Windows away. Btw, we normally refer to Win3.1,
Win95, Win98 and Win2k as 'Windows'. NT is NT.

>>> out of their minds.
I understand your experience was frustrating, but as with many things, mine was
different to yours.
For me, burning a CD under Linux was a 1/2 hour afair, including fitting the
CD drive (Ricoh RW7083A).
I learnt the 2 simple steps required for burning a data cd, and now I know
how EASY it is. In fact a cli is so much easier than a gui full of confusing
menues etc.

Plus its easy to automate the process with a simple shell script, for backups
etc.

>>> And before anyone tells me I am a newbie, I am not.
As a non newbie, did you consult the doc for cdrecord ?
The process is explained simply, and is very instructive.

>>> I had a IDE r/w CDROM. with SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4, and KDE latest and greatest.
>>>
>>> Wanted to burn some files into the CD (which on windows is a breeze).
Really ??
I was just talking to a friend on line, hes a Windows user and out of the last
17 CD's hes burnt, 9 failed!
Windows may be 'easy' to burn cd's with, its the BSOD's and buffer underuns
that let you down. Windows ...easy but unreliable.

>>> so I started KonCD  (or whatver that thing is called that comes with KDE).
>>> of course , it did not see it and no reason is given. searching and
>>> reading I found I need to build a new kernel with scsi ide emulation mode
>>> (imagin if someone on windows has to rebuild windows to write a CD).
>>>
>>> OK, I went through that, rebuild a new kernel, ran lilo and rebooted.
>>>
>>> now KonCD sees the device. I select the directory to write to the CD
>>> (why the hell it wont let one select a file, but a directory is another
>>> brain dead feature). So, it wrote the directory to the CD OK.
Sounds like a painfull process.

>>> Now another fun part starts. I wanted to read the CD. no chance. unable
>>> to mount the CD.
>>>
>>> tried every possible combination and device (trying to figure name of devices
>>> on linux is another stupid thing, why does not linux have at least something
>>> like 'volcheck' on Solaris?).
>>>
>>> Then I started searching the net for clues, I found that I need to tell
>>> the kernel at boot up some more hint. so added the line
>>>
>>> append "hdb=scsi"
>>>
>>> where hdb is my CD drive on my PC.
>>>
>>> re-run lilo and reboot.
>>>
>>> try again
>>>
>>> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /some_directory
>>>
>>> no luck. same erros.
>>>
>>> Yes, I have iso file system build in.
>>>
>>> try a dozen more mount commands, all the same errors. dmesg simply tells
>>> me I have an IO error or some other cryptic kernel messages which gives
>>> no clue as what to do.
>>>
>>> shutdown the PC, reboot to window, stick the same CD and it is there.
>>> the directory I wrote on the CD is actually there.
>>>
>>> No rebuilding kernels, no telling windows any boot parameters, no
>>> mounting, no trying to remember the device cryptic names. It is just there
>>> to use. as an OS should be.
Now get someone on your home net to burn the CD, still easy ?

Write a simple shell script to check directories of your choice,find the files
that have changed, and save them tomorrow morning at 3am when your asleep, on
to a rewritable cd, then erase it the next day before the process is repeated.

Ms Windows still simple ?

>>> I can't believe this. why, I ask why, can't linux be as simple as windows?
Because Linux does far more than windows ?

>>> anyone who think this stuff will challenge windows must be on drugs, and
>>> I really mean that.
You just were unfortunate not to be running Mandrake7.2, if you had been
(and if your CD unit liked Linux) then your experience would have been as
easy as mine.

Now that you have been thru the process, you have gained the fundamentals of
Cd burning, why waste it by going back to Windows ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:19:18 GMT

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Bad conclusion.   It sounds like you might have bad code and all platforms
> except Sparc detected it.   I'm not all that familiar with Sparc and Solaris,
> but I know that on AIX, if you are using threads, you can overflow the
> stack and the program just keeps on going until the thread whose data got
> zapped gets control again.   I noticed that on Linux, you are much more
> likely to get a core dump right away.  That makes debugging a whole lot
> easier.

I actually looked at the assembly code, and didn't quite understand it.
After making room for the local variables, the code jumped back to the
beginning of the function, plus 9 bytes.  The next instruction (I forget
the sequence) would yield the exception.  It sure looked buggy to me,
definitely not like your normal 80x86 C stack frame.  Maybe both
gcc and Borland can't generate good code when asked to push 64 Mb
onto the stack.  Since gcc had the same problem on Linux (apparently)...
I have to learn more.

Chris

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:26:15 +1200

JS PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > > And your a College Educated Unix Engineer.....who only uses
> Windows..Pffft..
> >
> > Even after I explain the deception, he still doesn't get it.
>
> Explaining something which is possible isn't proof that your doing it. Your
> using Windows98 and lying about it. Your worse than Devlin who uses it and
> claims he's forced to do it.
>
> > > After you deal with your own lies, you can begin throwing accusations
> > > around.
> >
> > So, what college campus did you trespass upon?
>
> SDSU - dropped out after a year, and have never looked back.

LOL. me, a 4 year degree vs. JS PL, a college drop out!

Matthew Gardiner

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:22:26 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Brent R wrote:

>as

>spend

> > > Be carefeul, Brent.
> > >
> > > If you pay attention, you'll discover that I'm MUCH more in tune
> > > with what's really going on than what you suspected.

> > I never doubted it for a second and if you cleaned up your act you'd be
> > a force to be reckoned with.
> >
> > Well, if you want to live for the moment (like I do) and not work 12
> > hours a day than you'll have to live with the fact that other people
> > will make more than you. I don't make as much as a dude I work with
> > does, I am still a full-time student. Actually he makes about 5$ an hour
> > more than me. Difference is... he gives a shit. I don't. It's just a
> > place where I can go and be arrogant and obnoxious and get away with
> > it... as well as pick up a check. As soon as I graduate I'll be out of
> > there... while he won't. I don't complain... he makes more than me, but
> > more is expected out of him.
> >
> > *Modern* feminism is in the business of whining and complaining and
> > making up crisis. Part of the romance of "living for the moment" is that
> > you have to accept the consequences of it as well. Otherwise it'd be so
> > easy that it wouldn't take any courage doing it... and everyone would do
> > it.
>
> Modern feminism decries "the patriarchy", and then whines for
> it to come back and clean up her diapers, because she still hasn't
> learned to shit in the toilet.

Jesus man, do you really have to be that crude?

Be careful Aaron, not all women are like that, I wouldn't even say the
majority. There is a tiny minority of shrill man-haters who make the
rest look bad.

Have you ever seen numbers on how many contemporary women give a shit
about feminism? The overwhelming majority couldn't care less about
Steinhem, because the ones that have the talent and heart to go get what
they want and the rest are just whiners who somehow end up in academia
or on the news.

Don't make blanket statements about all women. Don't make that mistake.

> > --
> > - Brent
> >
> > http://rotten168.home.att.net

- Brent