Linux-Advocacy Digest #853, Volume #34           Wed, 30 May 01 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Where can I buy a Linux penguin stuffed animal? (Anonymous)
  Re: Article: Insurer Considers Microsoft NT High-Risk (Anonymous)
  Re: Linux Capability (WJP)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: INTEL"S ITANIUM DUE OUT TUES  !!!!! ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Opera ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Opera ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Opera ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Microsoft Helps Turn Britain's E-Government Vision Into Reality ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (flatfish+++)
  Re: Opera ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft ("Andrew McLaren")
  Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Karel Jansens)
  Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks: ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Snauk)

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:13:50 +0200

"Dan Pidcock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 05:15:49 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >"Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:aTTQ6.52915$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yes, I have. You'd be surprised how much of what
> >> was present in Windows 1 hasn't changed.
>
> I always have this half-urge to try and see if I could get windows 1 /
> 2 and see what they look like.  I saw printouts of a Windows 2 project
> once: that looked pretty ugly, but probably not so bad for its time.
>
> >> What 'layers' do you have in mind?
> >>

> >Only thing I can think of is on NT, where the Win32 API sits on top of
the
> >NT native API.
> >I doubt that this is what he talks about, though.
>
> No - maybe layers is the wrong word.
> I was thinking more of when I use MFC there is a CWhatever that is
> based upon an LPWhatever: that kind of thing.
>
> e.g. looking at CWindow, the constructor takes an argument of type
> HWND and has a member data m_hWnd.  Then you have a bunch of old
> functions for working with HWNDs.  This is not really a good example
> but sometimes I find myself not being able to use MFC for things and
> end up delving deeper and new functions and data types appear and it
> just feels like a bit of time exploration back to 1985...

MFC has nothing to do with Win32 API.
IE, the Win32 API has no relation to MFC, MFC build on Win32 API, though.
Some people feel that MFC make the Win32API easier to use. For
easy-to-meduim stuff, I would agree, once you get to serious stuff, I think
that the MFC start to encoumber you.
Essesintly, MFC is VB for C++.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:18:20 -0400
Subject: Where can I buy a Linux penguin stuffed animal?
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Where can I buy a Linux penguin stuffed animal?

I saw someone carrying one at Richard Stallman's
speech about Free Software at New York University
on May 29, 2001.

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:25:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Article: Insurer Considers Microsoft NT High-Risk
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The other reason for high Windows turnover
is that technically Linux is a lot more interesting
than Windows.

Since you can custom configure every aspect of the
operating system, there is a lot you can learn
about programming and operating system design
even while doing mundane things like system administration.

With Windows, since most of the underlying workings
are hidden from the end-user, the experience is a lot
less gratifying.  You're essentially a drone that's
limited to manipulating a GUI.

From: WJP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Capability
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 05:27:34 -0500

On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:35:34 -0400, "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

//snipped for brevity//

>And yes, download GAIM or Jabber.  I think with Jabber(or maybe it's
>Everybuddy) if you download the
>plugins you can talk to people using icq, yahoo messenger or MSN.
> Just do searches on freshmeat.net .  A ton of programs will pop up.

Thanks, Glitch, for your suggestions.

//more snipolla//

>too bad so many people use AOL shit.  I gues people never thoguht there
>might be something better out there.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is for the same reasons that so many people
get "taken" by numerous scams and rip-offs all over the world - the
"reasons" too numerous to mention as well.  I often think of that old
phrase:  "We grow too soon oldt und too late schmardt."  I believe this
applies to other folks as well as myself.

YMMV
Bill Powell
USAF/USA (Ret) Management Systems Analyst

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:56:42 +0100

> After all the bleating about IIS, now I see an Apache server has been
> hacked. SourceForge uses SSH... hmmm...
>
> I'll have to see if my sources have 'changed' in any way.

This puts the nail in the coffin of any arguments you might come up with
*against* you being a common troll.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: INTEL"S ITANIUM DUE OUT TUES  !!!!!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:55:15 +1200

> realiability, and you think people will take it seriously! I don't think
> > so.  Maybe you should check what is running Datacentres, banks,
> mainframes,
> > the New Zealand financial system, and wake up and smell the code,
because
> > it isn't smelling of WinXP, thats for sure.
>
> Well here's at least two NZ banks using NT for their web front end.
>
> http://www.asb.co.nz
> http://www.anz.co.nz
>
> And wake up and smell the code, I don't see too many of them running
Linux
> either.

I've never said that they are running Linux, I emphasised the fact that
UNIX and mainframe OS's are the only ones taken seriously in the "mission
critical" area of IT, oh well, maybe you should check http://www.tsb.co.nz
or http://www.westpactrust.co.nz which is in charge of all benefit
payments, approx. 12 billion dollars worth.  Also, I never said anything in
regards to the web front end, I was talking about the big irons in the
bankground churning through transactions.  Maybe you should read, then
think before you post irrelevant information.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
Nobody can hear your screams

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:59:30 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >chrisv wrote:

> >> If you were so smart, you wouldn't be so afraid to admit that
> >> sometimes you don't know.
> >
> >I have, many many times.
> >
> >However, not in a conversation with someone so ignorant as yourself.
>
> Yes you have.  Many times.
>
> At least if I'm ignorant about something, I don't shoot my mouth off
> about it, unlike you, who likes to play  "wannabe expert" on every
> subject imaginable....

Wrong. I claim no expertise in numerous fields.

For example hindi, farsi, chinese, and a multitude of other foreign languages.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:57:57 +1200

What? a 5.5 crashed everytime I logged into my Hotmail account! wtf is up
with that?

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
Nobody can hear your screams
----
I am the resident BOFH if you don't like it
go rm -rf /home/luser yourself
news:9f0ufd$1r47$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:01:49 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> MFC has nothing to do with Win32 API.
> IE, the Win32 API has no relation to MFC, MFC build on Win32 API, though.
> Some people feel that MFC make the Win32API easier to use. For
> easy-to-meduim stuff, I would agree, once you get to serious stuff, I think
> that the MFC start to encoumber you.

Besides being a very //bad// example of how to do object-oriented
programming.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:00:02 +1200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9eu937$d72$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9esgcv$749$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Is there a phobia held amongst Wintrols that they are more than happy
> pay $1300 for a bloated office suite from Microsoft,
> > however, they are not willing to shell out a few dollars to buy a piece
of
> software and help support a small software company, in
> > this case, Opera.  Sounds like double standards to me.
> >
> When you can get a better browser for free, why pay?

What? you get an OS for free, and the biggest thing you bitch about is the
browser, so, in theory, a complete package with Opera (the best browser on
Linux) would cost $35 vs. $800 for Win2k Pro.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:01:27 +1200

IE 5.5 was a crap release, however, IE 5 w/ SP2 is very stable and fast.
Maybe when Microsoft should concerntrate heavily on quality, instead of
playing the old numbers game.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
Nobody can hear your screams
----
I am the resident BOFH if you don't like it
go rm -rf /home/luser yourself
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft Helps Turn Britain's E-Government Vision Into Reality
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:23:32 +0200

http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/press/2001/Mar01/03-27BritainPR.asp

Funny that we didn't hear people like Jan Johanson and Chad Myers tooting
their horns in here about this rollout. It does appear to be one of the
first MS rollouts based on .NET, and especially Jan is always ready to
remind us how great MS is.
Could it possibly be that this rollout had the effect of locking out a
segment of the UK population from communicating electronically with their
government? See also:

So, aside from being a monopolist, MS is actually being anti-democratic.
Welcome to the MS future people.

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:31:03 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> It's Myers, jerk, get it right.

As in Oscar Myers.

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:41:12 GMT

Latest Mac Rag said people are hesitant because of backward
compatibility with applications.

Mac people are a totally different breed than Windows people and are
in a different universe compared to linux folks.

Macheads talk applications, not operating systems.

Different mindset if you will

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:05:08 +0100

>> > Ok, so other poster's versions did crash and took Linux with them (as
>> > in the core dump from the previous poster who uses linux).
>>
>> hahahahah!
>>
>> Idiot. Why don't you admit that you've never used UNIX?
>
> Sorry... confused the 'panic' with core dumps... <sigh>
>
> Irregardless, Netscape does cause a few 'panics' now and then as well as
> core dumps.

Yeah, whatever.

The _only_ OS I've seen NS crash is Windows.

-Ed

From: "Andrew McLaren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:12:42 +1000

"unicat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> The following are the editorial opinions of the author- no more

This is off-topic for comp.arch.

Now, back to discussing instruction level parallelism ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:15:20 +0000

On Tue, 29 May 2001 14:35:25 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>>> No, but a lot of the guys here simply killfiled that jerk.
>>> He´s simply not worth *any* effort at reading.
>>
>>This is why you fail.
>
>Guffaw.  Oh yeah, you're "must reading", eh Kook?

Sorry for replying to an arbitrary post in this thread, but I  am one of
those who have Aaron in his killfile (his .sig is just too much trouble,
that's all).

An interesting thing I discovered recently when trying out knode: that
newsreader has the ability to filter out .sigs, if they comply to the "--
preceding" rule. For one reason or another (probably sheer luck), Aaron's
.sig complies to knode's requirements, so if anyone would be inclined to
read Aaron's posts without the .sig overhead, knode is a good choice.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
Give a man fire and he is warm for a day.
Set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:29:41 +0000

On Tue, 29 May 2001 19:39:08 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Tue, 29 May 2001 11:29:13 GMT
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> Polaroid
>>
>>Kodak <grin>.
>>
>>Kleenex.
>>
>>Puffs <grin>
>>
>>Coke.
>>
>>Pepsi <grin>
>>
>>Microsoft.
>>
>>Apple <grin>
>>IBM <grin>
>
>Xerox -- although Canon, Ricoh, IBM, and others may be changing that.
>But the word "xerox" -- meaning "duplicate via photoelectronic means" --
>has passed into more or less common usage (presumably to Xerox's
>intense annoyance).
>
>Microsoft should be so lucky. :-)

Who knows? Five years from now, the phrase "My computer just microsofted on
me" might be the colloquial for BSOD. Bog knows it's almost there already.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:19:36 +0000

On Tue, 29 May 2001 15:29:05 -0500, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> > Don't forget security, of which the MacOS has none.
>>
>> Mac OS-X is based on BSD-unix (Darwin)...
>
>[snip irrelevant]
>
>we're talking about currently shipping MacOSes, not lala-ware.

Mac OS-X went GA, oh Ignorant One.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karel Jansens)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:24:03 +0000

On Wed, 30 May 2001 02:21:30 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> > VBScripts end up being executables which only run with as much
>> > or less privilege than the user.
>> >
>> > How is this different from perl scripts on Unix?
>>
>> Because Perl scripts can't touch "normal" users' files.  It's obvious:
>> Windows 98 is a wide-open system, and most unices are not.  The only way
>> to delete users' files on a unix system is if someone compromised the
>> system, and put a rogue Perl script where it shouldn't be.
>
>We, well I wasn't at least, talking about Win9x. Win9x is a toy OS and
>sucks. NT/2K are different.

What's the market share of NT/2K?
How many viri are writtten specifically for 2K?

Besides, you claimed that Windows is ubiquitous because it is the better
O/S. If NT/2K is better than 9x, why is not everybody using that than?

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:16:21 +0100

>>> Why the fuck have you replied twice to the same post?
>
>>Because he can.  Free country and that sort of stuff...
>
> So? I can type this:

I believe you missed the point. When ever anyone points out that Aaron is
anti-social and rude, he always says its OK because its a free country
and he is (in essense) free to be an arsehole.

-Ed

From: Snauk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:46:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Unekis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> All MS-bashing aside, I have a very sincere question.
> How is MS going to make any money on the X-box????
> They supposedly have to subsidize the hardware to the tune
> of over $100 per box to get it price-competitive with PS/2.
> Then they aren't going to charge licenses on the game
> cartridges?
> Where's the beef? This sounds like a sure-fire recipe for
> disaster. No that I wouldn't LOVE to see MS get its hand
> in the garbage disposal for a while, but wassup? Has Mr. Bill
> gotten senile in his old age?

Of course they are not going to charge licenses on the cartridges.
They are using DVDs and CDs for the games not carts.  They will charge
licenses for those though.