  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 26 Apr 2001 16:36:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Microsoft did some good peer-peer networking design in Xenix that produced
> > a network that, while it didn't scale very well due to OSI's lack of a
> > credible namespace management (don't talk to me about X.500) and variable

> Mafia$oft sold off Xenix before OSI even formed.

That doesn't happen to be true. Microsoft and Intel maintained a version of
Xenix until 1988. The basic OSI standards (particularly CONS/TP4, which is
what OpenNET used) were well enough designed for Microsoft to use them by
this point, and OSI was considered "real" enough that the DoD has declared
that TCP/IP was a stopgap until the OSI protocols and implementations were
ready.

The major user-visible difference between OpenNET on Xenix and LAN
Manager on DOS was that you used forward instead of reverse slashes in
"net use" commands.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.object,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.theory,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Impact of Internet
Date: 26 Apr 2001 16:38:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You're an idiot.
> ... clueless ...
> ... moron.

What purpose does this serve?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:48:42 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2001 13:54:24 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>selection.

> >>You claim to be in the United States.
> >
> >Quotes please. I am not, and have not been, in several years, in the US.
> >In fact, I am pretty far from the US.
> >
> >Roberto Alsina
>
> He's in Argentina.

correct.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kookis:  over 340 posts in 6 days!
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:55:12 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> Is there anyone else in the world so full of himself, so sure of
> himself, so in love with the sound of his own voice, so devoid of a
> life that on some days he'll post well over 50 obnoxious,
> argumentative messages into a single newsgroup?

If I was "full of myself", I would have posted 340 articles trying
to tell you how great I am.

In fact, I do the exact opposite.  I go around sticking pins in
the bubbles of various people who *are* full of themselves.

At this very moment, the person in question is YOU.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000: a steaming pile of shit, just like everything else  from
Mafia$oft
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:59:31 -0400

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:02:44 +0200, JoFi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >"JS PL" <hi everybody!> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >>
> > ><snip>
> > >default
> > >software,

FAT32

It's an

> > >Exactly. Just another anti-MS zealot spouting as many lies as they can
in
> > >the hope that someone will think its true without actually verifying.
> > >
> > >BTW I can burn on W2k as a normal user. *shock* ;-)
> > >

> > Please enlighten us on what you did to allow normal users to burn CDs
> > on W2K.  You probably went out a bought a $50.00+ program for this
> > purpose.  You could've used that money to buy an entire OS plus
> > gads of applications, plus apps that will allow normal users to
> > burn CDs SECURELY.
>
> In LoseDOS land, such notions are Blasphemy!

I've never heard of LoseDOS land. Is that on a map somewhere or is it a made
up land? You surely wouldn't be trying to insult your own land would you?

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:38:05 -0400

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Y'all should be happy about this (or maybe not, I dunno)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:59:00 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Religious connotations aside, I agree. I do get quite cynnical when
> >> righ people use charity as a gigantic billboard.
> >
> > Especially when the "Millions of dollars of charity" consists of
> > $0.50 pieces of aluminum-coated plastic platters "valued" at $800
> > for tax-write-off purposes.
>
> That's just plain dishonesty and, as such is inexcuasble. Donating

We're talking about Bill Gates here.  If it's not dishonest, he's not interested.

He is, in nearly every aspect of his life, the epitome of Liberalism.

Monopolizing tyrant, pretending to be oppressed victim.
Goes around talking about "Freedom to innovate" when the only thing
his company has truly innovated are the nauseating "Bob" and that
insipid animated paper clip.....everything else they have marketed
are poorly implemented rip-offs of OTHER companies' innovations.

Much like liberal politicians who take credit for "giving" money
to the needy...which they obtained through extortion (threats of
violence and imprisonment if you don't surrender 1/3 or more of your income)

> £1000000 worth of CDs and calling it as useful as £1000000 is a plain
> lie. Yep, the charity organisations are going to be so much better off
> for having WinME instead of Win98 (or whatever).
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:04:07 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> So you're saying that because he's gay, he't turn other people gay, but
> >> you would never do something similar because you're not.
> >
> > Men constantly try to convince unwilling women to "give them a chance"
> >
> > What makes you think gay men are any different towards an unwilling
> > object of affection?
>
> 1 Would ever hit on a lesbian?  That would be a total waste of time.

Very true.  I've never understood the popular male fantasy of getting
two lesbians...it's not like EITHER of them is going to let him do
anything with her.

Gluttons for torture, I guess.

>   i expect most momosexual men have wnough wit to realise that hitting
>   on hetrosexual men is a total waste of time.

See above.  Stupid heterosexual men are hitting on lesbians (and other
women who have CLEARLY indicated that they are repulsed by the idea of
sex with the man in question) is rather common.

> 2 According to a friend of mine, it's much easier to pick up a homosexual
>   man than a hetrosexual woman, so they have to try a lot less. In fact,
>   it seems to amuse him how hard it is for us.

I imagine that's true.  Men don't give a fuck about all of the myriad
bullshit that women worry about.  On the other hand, you all know of
the guy who has his eyes on only one girl who wants nothing to do with
him (for whatever reason which *he* considers to be petty and arbitrary,
and easily ignored, but which SHE considers to be of profound importance),
even at the cost of passing up other girls who are "a sure thing"

Again, I have no reason to believe that homosexual males wouldn't be
afflicted by the same problem.

> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 26 Apr 2001 17:05:23 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:48:42 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:

>USA.

>selection.

Notice how here Aaron claims I am in the US.

>> >Quotes please. I am not, and have not been, in several years, in the US.
>> >In fact, I am pretty far from the US.
>> >
>> >Roberto Alsina
>>
>> He's in Argentina.
>
>correct.

Yet you said I was from Central America. How ignorant are you, Aaron?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:09:12 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> The problem came with the non open movement where people suddenly
> >> decided that NDA's were a good thing etc. Stallman had a problem with
> >> this and as it got worse, he started (or at any rate played a huge part
> >> in getting it off the ground) a trend in the oppersite directinn: to
> >> make softwareopen again. But, by this stage it was no longer enough to
> >> have software in the public domain (as it always was) because now there
> >> was a real threat of people taking public domain software and closing
> >> it. That's why the GPL was created.
> >
> > Then why was IBM dragged into Federal Court over the issue of MANDATORY
> > bundling of IBM programming services with IBM computer sales?
> >
> > At the time, IBM's contracts PROHIBITED any non-IBM employee from
> > programming thier machines.
> >
> > Why would that be?
> >
> > Hint: $$$$$
>
> That was after people realised software was worth money. The initial IBMs
> were not sold like that.

Read Steven Levy's HACKERS, and get back to us.

The idea of giving your code away, and letting others USE AND MODIFY IT,
with the understanding that the derivative code should be just as
available as the baseline code has ALWAYS been foreign to the mainline
of the commerical computing industry.

It's only really popular with students, academics, and high-end intellectuals
(and a few pseudo-intellectuals).  Oh well.  Hopefully, this is changing.
(finally).

I don't know why people consider programming to be fundamentally
different from, say, any other information regarding procedures,
like, say, the rules to the game of Baseball or Hockey.

> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.