From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 06:59:02 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ZSkO6.3713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9e9teo$jsf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > something
> > >
> > > The only custom programming involved is in ASP pages that use
> > > documented methods from the msxml3.dll objects.   The boxes are
> > > loaded with stock Win2k server, sp1, and the msxml3.dll.  All
> > > straight from Microsoft.   All of the pages work when tested
> > > individually.
> >
> > How much?
>
> How much should it take?  I'm used to systems that work consistently.

Until you can repreduce the error?
Have you never participated in bug hunting before?

> > You say that sometimes they work, sometimes they fail.
> > Meaning that you didn't gave the pages enough testing.
>
> Actually it is entirely possible that the production servers are
> getting requests that no one anticipated.    I know from the logs
> (and some odd bugs) on the previous incarnation that users
> edit the arguments in the URLs and send requests no one
> ever thought to test.   However these should mostly be passed
> on to the xml data servers which should either serve the
> request or not.

No, they are not.
There shouldn't *be* an unexpected value, period.
The easiest way to do it is to define the values that you will accept, and
throwing away all the rest.
Yes, it's boring and slow the code, but so is checking a pointer's value
after malloc().

> > Where would you complain? In an advocacy group?
>
> I'd send email to the author of the program as the first choice since
> he is likely the only one who can fix it, but I would also certainly
> mention it in any advocacy group where others were claiming
> the opposite.  People deserve to know what to expect when they
> put something in production.

So, did you turned to MS?

What if the author didn't reply? Would you then go to advocacy group, or
turn to the group that *specialize* in this product?

> > BTW, you can crash a program using documented methods too, if you feed
the
> > wrong parameters to them.
>
> The parameters here are URL's and filenames for the xml and xsl data.
> Those shouldn't be able to crash anything even if they are wrong.

Post this to non-avocacy group, show some code and detail the configuration,
so they'll know what is going on.
And prefer some clearer explanation about it than "sometimes IIS crash when
I'm doing XML work"

> > > So you think it is fine for IIS to pop a dialog box and wait?  I don't
> > > even if the asp code has something wrong.   I guess people who
> > > only run MS systems have different expectations about the system
> > > software.
> >
> > From your description, it looks like you are having memory access
errors.

> The developers here say that is a typical symptom of thread conflicts
> corrupting memory.    That is, the reported error is probably a result
> of  trying to interpret variables that have been corrupted earlier.

Whatever, I don't use this DLL, so I can't help you.
Again, the place to get help is *not* here.

> > In proccess memory errors result in the termination of the proccess and
> > message box saying what happened.
>
> I'd be happy with just a termination since no one is sitting there to read
> the message box.

To some extent, I agree. Services should be terminated and the termination
should be logged. Other applications should give a message box.

> > The fact that when you run it out-process, only the dll crash, seems to
> > indicate it.
> > I would say that you need either to:
> > A> Post *way* more details, including code.
>
> There are an assortment of things happening and since the page hasn't
> been logged before the crash I don't know exactly which it is.  However
> the two likely suspects look like this:
>
> (1 - the xslt transform where xsl source will be a file, xmlsource a URL)
> Function transformXML (XSLSource, XMLSource)
>         Set XMLFile =
Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument")
>         Set XSLFile =
Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument")
>         XMLFile.async = False
>         XMLFile.load(XMLSource)
>         XSLFile.async = False
>         XSLFile.load(XSLSource)
>         transformXML = XMLFile.transformNode(XSLFile)
>         set XMLFile = nothing
>         set XSLFile = nothing
> End Function

Apperantly you are using VBScript to do this, bad idea. VBS is not ideal
language for a lot of things except for ease-of-learning.
I'm not sure if there is someone here who knows MSXML enough to comment
about this code, I certainly don't.
Post this to one of the groups that I suggested, they should be able to aid
you.

> (2 - an http proxy-passthough )
> Function displaypage(url)
>  Dim html, url
>  Set aRequest = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP")
>  aRequest.Open "GET", url, False
>  aRequest.Send
>  Response.Write aRequest.responseText
>  Set aRequest = Nothing
> End Function

That code doesn't make sense, you should use Response.Redirect, or
Server.Execute/some other propety which I've forgotten (if it lets you do
stuff beyond the current server).
Why are you doing it this way?

> They are slightly edited, so syntax errors are in the cut/paste
> process.   The functions work as far as we can test them.
>
> > B> Turn to non-advocacy group for the details.
> >
> > I would suggest that you would do both.
>
> I tried dejanews when I first saw the problem and found a bunch
> of other xml related problems and very few answers.   The
> msxml3.dll had not been released long at that point, though.  I
> suppose I should try again.

I searched for messages from you regarding this, I couldn't find any.
Don't search for a solution, post the question, you are likely to get a good
answer.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Dell Meets Estimates
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:00:55 -0400

Mike wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9e9f7s$3v3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Is Sun a chip company? They only make chips for their own servers. After
> > the
> > > smoke and mirrors of the web bubble hype, can this base support the R&D
> > > needed to compete, now that Intel is AT THE DOOR.
> >
> > Now, National Semiconductors produce the chips, which are standardised by
> > the Sparc consortium. http://www.sparc.org/members.html are the companies
> > involved.  Maybe you should reassess you pre-emptive conclusions.
>
> You're both wrong. Sun doesn't make chips, and National doesn't make chips
> for Sun. Sun designs their own chips, and they are currently manufactured by
> a company other than National and Fujitsu.
>
> In the end, 2 has a point, even if it is poorly elucidated, thinly masked
> hyperbole. On the other hand, Matthew, you don't know what you're talking
> about.
>
> Sun isn't very competitive in the low end server market, and their volumes

define "low end server" in a way that does NOT mean "providing a service
(such as printing)" which can't be handled on THE SAME MACHINE which is
providing high-end services?

> aren't high enough to compete effectively with Intel, _if_ Intel can produce
> a competitive high end processor, _and_ there is an operating system that
> can compete with Solaris.
>
> Intel's next processor is likely to compete effectively, but Linux today
> can't compete with Solaris over the entire range of Sun's products. The high
> Sun machines can run something like 32 processors, each with many gigabytes
> of RAM. If you're looking for a scalable system, that's the ultimate: you
> can scale from a basic single processor server all the way up to the high
> end machine, without much more work than putting in a new machine. There is
> no equivalent to that in the Linux or Windows worlds, and it gives Sun an
> important selling point: they scale further. If you're a growing business,
> that can be a powerful motivation to choose Sun for the low end server, even
> though the price/performance isn't as good.
>
> But, neither the Linux folks or Microsoft have shown any inclination to let
> things be, and it would be naive to bet against either of them mounting a
> serious challenge to Sun in the future. It would also be naive to bet that
> Sun would sit back and rest on their laurels, but in Sun's case, it's harder
> to see what they can do about it.
>
> -- Mike --

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:02:26 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > If you're looking for a scalable system, that's the
> > ultimate: you can scale from a basic single processor server all the way
> > up to the high end machine, without much more work than putting in a new
> > machine. There is no equivalent to that in the Linux or Windows worlds,
> > and it gives Sun an important selling point: they scale further.
>
> That is in no way true. Linux scales from far lowre than solaris to
> nearly as high. Both will run on anything from a single processor machine
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Higher.  MUCH higher.

IBM S/390

> (linux goes to lower ones) through mainframes up to supercomputers (where
> solaris goes slghtly higher).
>
> Linux is one of the most scalable OSs on the planet, along with solaris.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> /d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
> r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s{15
> }d f/t{240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage}d pop t

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ouch!
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:07:47 -0700

My friend (name to be withheld since he's a real freak hacker) found a nice
little bug in a very very popular OSS package he was quite grateful for the
open source code since he did not have to do any reverse engineering.  This
bug is another stack overflow with root potential.  He's just sitting on it
waiting for a rainy day! btw it still has not been patched.

bs from mlw snipped

From: "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The nature of competition
Date: Sunday, May 20, 2001 2:58 PM

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:02:52 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9eb1ir$rrr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > If you're looking for a scalable system, that's the
> > > ultimate: you can scale from a basic single processor server all the way
> > > up to the high end machine, without much more work than putting in a new
> > > machine. There is no equivalent to that in the Linux or Windows worlds,
> > > and it gives Sun an important selling point: they scale further.
> >
> > That is in no way true. Linux scales from far lowre than solaris to
> > nearly as high. Both will run on anything from a single processor machine
> > (linux goes to lower ones) through mainframes up to supercomputers (where
> > solaris goes slghtly higher).
> >
> > Linux is one of the most scalable OSs on the planet, along with solaris.
>
> No, it isn't.
> Once you got to high end, Solaris kicks Linux to the ground without even
> trying.

And your point is?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:04:08 -0400

quux111 wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:9ebrta$6f6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>

> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9eb1ir$rrr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> That is in no way true. Linux scales from far lowre than solaris to
> >> nearly as high. Both will run on anything from a single processor
> >> machine (linux goes to lower ones) through mainframes up to
> >> supercomputers (where solaris goes slghtly higher).
> >>
> >> Linux is one of the most scalable OSs on the planet, along with
> >> solaris.
> >
> > No, it isn't.
> > Once you got to high end, Solaris kicks Linux to the ground without
> > even trying.
> >

> This is meaningless PR-speak.  Do you work for Sun, or what?  Solaris on
> SPARC hardware *can* scale up to about 62 CPUs (the SunFire boxes can go
> that high), but the efficiency of that scaling is debatable -- the per-CPU
> cost is much higher than, say, a System 390 mainframe.  It's even higher
> than an SGI Origin machine running an equivalent number of MIPS CPUs.
>
> And if you're talking about clustering (Beowulf-style), Linux is *far* more
> efficient than Solaris on equivalent hardware.  Solaris x86 is a complete
> pig, in fact, and Linux on SPARC competes pretty well with Solaris until
> you get into the 4-CPU range.
>
> I've never understood the fascination with the "high end" of computing.

Because that's where the most difficult (computation-wise) problems are.

Whoever can effectively solve them first gets the notoriety.

> Low-end and midrange is where all the action is; 4-CPU SMP is the sweet-
> spot for most manufacturers, and clustering is taking a lot of the
> limelight from the traditional 32-way and 64-way SMP boxes.
>
> Solaris is a fine OS; I've used it for many years and I like it quite a
> bit.  On commodity platforms like x86 (and I expect Itanium too) Linux is a
> better solution than Solaris.  On SPARC, Solaris is probably better, but
> that's hardly a surprise, given that Sun controls both the hardware and
> that software.
>
> Regards,
>
> quux111

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Intermediate user who left Windows for Linux
Date: 22 May 2001 04:03:40 GMT

On Tue, 22 May 2001 02:03:17 GMT,
 Techno Barbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I decided to switch to Linux after trying to reinstall MS Word on a new PC
> I had just purchased. Of course, when I installed Word I had to call MS due
> to they sent me a nice e-mail informing me that copying Word on more than
> one PC was illegal.
How did they know you had installed Word on more than one computer ?

> I then called there support desk to get Word unlocked.
> The sales person then probed me why I was trying to install in on another
> computer, and asked if I knew it was illegal to copy the product on more
> than one computer. She then started to ask me a few settings on my PC, and
> after I had enough, I told her to forget it I was not going to use it
> anymore.
>
> Having tinkered with Linux for more than a year, I finally made the break
> with Windows and only use it to play games. Although I cannot  install
> programs that are not RPM's yet - and editing configuration files are
> confusing to me
Hang in there, it gets easier as you become familiar with the application,
and many apps install a 'default' config file, without you needing to
do anything. The user config files will always be in your home directory.

> - I did get Star Office up which is the main thing I use my
> computer for.
>
> I really wonder how MS new security measures on their software, is going to
> effect the average user. For me it was enough to tick me off and make a
> switch to another operating system.
Microsoft have already said that "the small business and home sectors are
where the majority of piracy occurs" so I suppose these areas wont be too
happy.

> Well off to learn something called the command line :-)
Its not hard, kinda like DOS (but easier) and the cli
exists even in Windows98, its just that most people don't
know it does.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I use GPL?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:08:28 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Ivan Popivanov wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I went through a fair amount of material about free software and
> > still, I'm not sure whether I can use GPL or LGPL in the following
> > situation:
> >
> > I have some source code, which I want to make freely available.
> > However, I may like to use this source code in a commercial
> > application. It looks to me that I can't do that if I release the
> > source code under GPL or LGPL. The problem is that most of my c++ code
> > is contained in header files (inline functions) therefore if I apply
> > any of the GNU licenses I will have to release the source code of my
> > application too. I understand that I should made all the changes to
> > the released code available, but I don't want to make my application
> > source code available. Is my understanding of the licenses correct?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ivan
>
> Take it for what its worth.  I purchased GNU Pro Toolkit and Source
> Navigator from Cygnus for $150.  It is the egcs c++ compiler that all
> distros use now and no mention of GPL in their license agreement was
> ever made.  Even Sun Microsystems sells this stuff at a low price.  I
> suspect the primary purpose of GPL is to keep MSs' mitts from
> controlling linux.

And ALSO from stealing it outright without attribution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.