From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:03:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> >Got any examples of that?
>
> Oh, that's precious.  LOL!

The fact that none have been posted is what I find "precious". As for you
post, about the level of noise I'd expect from you.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Jet proves once again that she still loathes men.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:06:43 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > He loves to rag on me for being "old". So, I ask him what he will do
when
> > his mail order bride turns 40. He never replies, he's painted himself
into a
> > corner.
>
> Taking a forty year old woman to dinner to get to know her is...pointless.

I know those who would disagree with you...

> Taking a forty year old woman to dinner for your 20th anniversary
> is a reward.

Dang, took you long enough to come up with that lame reply.

So, you admit being 40 is no big deal

> > He can't say he'll trade her in for a newer model, because then he'll
look
> > like even more of an asshole than he already does. He can't say he hopes
she
> > dies before then, for the reason stated above. He can't say it will be
no
> > big deal, because then he'll have to admit my age is no big deal.
>
> You really are fucking stupid, aren't you.

Um, you said I proved that I loath men...um what did I say that indicates I
loath men? (I'll have to ask that about 900 times before you come up with a
lame reply.)

 I loath *you*.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:08:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >> 'All' companies want me to buy their products.  Any attempt to forestall
> >> competition or engross the market is illegal monopolization.  The only
> >> available "tying me to them in some way" is providing competitive
> >> merits, or a lower price, in order to entice me to so tie myself to
> >> their brand in order to enjoy the benefits of their product.
> >
> >You said it.
>
> Obviously.  What's your point?  Eager to misinterpret it, but unable to
> figure out how?  You may have skipped over the fact that MS has not
> offered lower prices, or other competitive merits, but only the
> aforementioned illegal monopolization.

If your intention is to twist everything to your favourite little dogma,
then you appear to be succeeding again.

> But I didn't say that.  The federal judge said that last part.

What a federal judge is immaterial if the case falls apart in the end.

> >Entanglement implies I'm trapped. Yet I don't feel as such. I moved from
> >one area into Windows, I can just as easily move out again.
>
> If I had meant "trapped", I'd have said 'trapped'.  "Entanglement"
> implies, I think, cluelessness more than anything else, considering the
> context is 'being a sock puppet for a criminal monopoly'.  Cluelessness
> or dishonesty, rather.

Twisting it all again doesn't make it any truer.

> >From "can" to "does not" to "won't". If that isn't a clear example of how
> >you're twisting words, I don't know what else is.
>
> Then apparently you don't know what is.  I was pointing out that you
> used "can" dishonestly, or mistakenly.  Your response seems a clear
> indication of which it was, but I'll leave that for the reason of others
> to judge.

Oh, I do know what it is. I'm just amused by your twisty way of taking
what I said and cleverly twisting it to say the exact opposite.

> >Are you in politics?
>
> I am in your face.

And doing a pretty piss poor job of it, I might say.

> >Your deductions are ludicrous. Besides which there is enough evidence out
> >there to indicate that the company I work for are very highly regarded.
>
> So's Microsoft, according to you.  Guffaw.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Wake me when you have something useful to contribute other than the
rhetoric and hot air you've been blowing lately.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:08:56 GMT

In article <9egrdu$lfa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Fine, quote one.
>
> I can't be bothered. I know you snipped my posts in your responses to
> alter what I meant. I pointed it out at the time and gave showed where
> you did it. I don't have time to repeat this process.

In other words, they do not exist. I thought so, more of your lies.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:12:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >There's no interest in the market. There are not enough applications or
> >games to require it.
>
>     Then why do you bitch about them not existing ?

As an example of why Linux is not the operating system of choice.

>     You should be bitching about the potential sales not being large
>     enough.  That would be reversing cause and effect but would be
>     closer to the mark.

That's true.

>     You might even view that as an opportunity to write a driver which
>     would put you in the catbird seat to make deals with the hardware
>     manufacturers to customize versions for their hardware.

Yes, but what would their incentive be to use the driver, if I did?
There's no market for it, so why would they use it?

>     If you don't try to make billions you should be able to have a
>     growing business out of it.

We're making a growing business out of the Windows market.

>     In other words "you have it backwards" no demand can exist for what
>     you are not offering to sell.  Only a monopoly can know in advance
>     what will be bought and for how much.

It's a chicken and egg situation. It might be that there is demand but we
don't know until we produce a driver. Do we invest in it or not. The
answer is for now, no.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:13:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >I see a supercomputer, I call it as such. I see nothing wrong there.
>
> Oh, puh-leeze.  Just how is it you've "seen" this metaphorical
> "supercomputer" that is really just the SETI software doing loosely
> coupled distributed processing on millions of *separate* computers?  In
> your minds eye, you insist it is a supercomputer, because only then can
> your stupid and pathetic claim that Windows can compete with Linux make
> any sense at all.

Because it is a supercomputer.

> You see the word "supercomputer", and you believe it as such.  There is,
> indeed, something wrong in being so gullible or mistaken.  The term was
> used metaphorically, and everyone knows it, but only you wouldn't be
> able to admit it.

Yawn, because it is one?

> You see what kind of knots you have to tie your reason into in order to
> maintain a conversation once you start being dishonest?

I'm not being dishonest, or mistaken or gullible

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:26:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >> No; that is my conjecture.  I have no dogma, Pete.
> >
> >Oh yes you do! You regularly inject "monopoly crapware" into your posts,
> >frequently out of context to the topic.
>
> Are you at all familiar with the definition of the term 'dogma'.
> Perhaps you should look it up in the dictionary.  It doesn't mean
> "repetition".

I've already quoted a definition of dogma to you from a dictionary. I
remember you had the definition wrong then.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:26:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:58:56 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> >>did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> >>thaty destroyed my entire system.
> >>
> >>Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
> >
> >Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file system and
> >the cpu and memory requirement of a super computer just to not run like a dog.
> >
> >You may like having an OS with 30 million lines of brand new bug ridden code,
> >but I prefer something a little more mature.
> >
> >You and MS deserve each other.
>
> I don't care if it has 30 trillion lines of buig infested code as long
> as it works for ME.

LoseDOS doesn't work properly for ANYBODY.

Not even fucking Bill Gates.

What's up with that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:28:08 GMT

says...

> > I don't know, Pete.  C++ still hasn't been standardized yet, and there
> > are a few differences between compiler vendors yet.
>
> You are mistaken.  There is a C++ standard.  You are correct, though,
> that not all vendors have caught up.

Visual C++ doesn't follow the standards, whereas I believe Borland's C++
does, as does GNU C++?

Unfortunately, Visual C++ is the fastest one I've tried on Intel
platforms.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 9x is horrid
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:29:01 -0400

Investigator wrote:

> The PC for free has long been used to hook Mr. Undiscriminating to a
> marketplace.
>
> You've seen those "Buy [this disgusting internet service](, for 3 years,)
> and your (bottom-of-the-line) [undesirable brand] computer purchase will be
> rebated" advertisements. I think several online services were/are doing that
> too. Now, I know Internet connectivity is not "software", per se, but there
> is no difference between service and software when it comes time to paint
> their surface areas.
>
> Don't misunderstand... Systems are bundled to market in whatever models are
> most saleable. The truth told is this: what the public is most willing to
> purchase is what will do best on the shelves.Do you buy a car or the
> braking, fuel injection, and electronic spark advance systems' algorithms?

Would you buy a car that does NOT have a modern
hydraulic primary/secondary brake system?

> On the other hand... would you pay one half-day salary for non-working
> cell-phone hardware or one half-week salary for a year of services on that
> phone?

You mean like...LoseDOS?

>     _/_/_/    _/_/_/  _/    _/
>    _/   _/  _/    _/ _/    _/             Woody
>   _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/         He, who never tries,
>  _/   _/  _/    _/ _/_/_/_/                  never fails.
> _/    _/ _/    _/  _/  _/
>
> From various contributors to the "Win 9x is horrid" thread:
> [snip]
> > >: >In a few years people aren't going to care what OS is installed;
> > >: >they'll all come with every basic tool you need (internet,
> > >: >word processor, spreadsheet, audio/video tools, etc.).
> [snip]
> > >: >the real money will be made on hardware.
> [snip]
> > >: Hardware, whether it's a cell phone, a satellite receiver, or a
> > >: computer, is something that is GIVEN AWAY
> [snip]
> > >Show me where I can get a free computer if I buy windows.
> [snip]
> > a FREE PC if you watched their silly
> [snip]
> > it would be naive to think that somebody else won't try a similar
> > business model in the future.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:24:45 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 00:41:29 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Compare this to Mandrakes update CD which destroyed a perfectly
> >> working system....
> >>

> >What did you do wrong?
>
> First mistake was opening the mailer the CD came in.
> Second mistake was booting Mandrake 7.2.
> Third mistake was putting the CD in the drive.
> Fourth mistake was su'ing to root.
> Fifth mistake was selecting LiveUpdate.
> Sixth mistake was giving it the ok to trash my system.
>
> I made lot's of mistakes.

Zeroeth Mistake was being born an idiot.

> flatfish++++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:25:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> >Device drivers on Linux are written in C?
> >
> >Device drivers on Windows are written in C++ and make use of COM. Which
> >one is more technologically advanced?
>
> I think it's pretty clear how far you are willing to go to miss the
> point.  What gave you the impression that the language used, and
> reliance on a proprietary single-source API, has anything to do with how
> advanced the actual technology of an OS is?

So you're saying that C is technologically more advanced than C++?

Here you go again, twisting everything to fit your dogma - your favourite
topic.

> >Yes, how about an example, instead of a statement?
>
> Linux is peer reviewed, and thus demonstrates the engineering
> community's consensus for adequately and correctly incorporating the
> most sound and advanced software technologies.

"Peer reviewed"... 8)

It only works if everything is carefully examined and the results
reported. Just everyone taking a look see at the code is not enough.

There are problems in Linux install for various distros. Yet if this
"peer review" process you mention was working, these problems ought to
disappear.

Why is it that a Linux upgrade rarely works and is not recommended? How
did that one escape the "peer review" process you are putting such stock
in?

How is that Samba eventually locks everyone out and has to be restarted
for it to work? Didn't the "peer review" process catch this one?

> Windows is just monopoly crapware.

That's just your dogma.

In your posts you quote the following:

"*** The best way to convince another is
          to state your case moderately and
             accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***"

How is it that you are singularly unable (or unwilling?) to do the above?

How is Windows monopoly crapware?

> >Enough of the dogma! Examples puh-lease!
>
> We've been through them before, Pete.  All the things that suck about
> Windows (DirectX, the registry, DLL hell) are crappy technology, all the
> advantages of Linux (the entirety of GNU, leading-edge development
> tools, advanced kernel design, all resulting in better stability,
> performance, and reliability than Windows for infinitely less cost) are
> competitive advantages, clearly illustrating that Linux is far more
> technically superior and advanced.

I don't rate gcc are a leading edge development tool unless it has an IDE
and the whole kit and kaboodle.

As for advanced kernel design, I thought the idea of having to do a
kernel rebuild was rather old fashioned now, yet it's still there in
Linux.

> >OK, I'll tell Microsoft, Loki, Creative, ESS, Crystal, ADI, Voyetra et al
> >that T Max Devlin thinks 3D sound is silly. After they've roared with
> >laughter _at you_ they'll all carry on producing what everyone appears to
> >want.
>
> Try some that aren't just brand names, and I might be impressed.  Yes,
> much of what commercial hacks crank out is entirely silly; real
> advancement comes from the academic and scientific worlds.

And where did you think our company came from? Sensaura is part of
Scipher. Scipher is also known as "CRL". Central Research Labs of EMI,
before EMI decided it wanted to focus on music and not research.

We base our technology on science. Go take a look at the white papers on
our web site and see the level of science there, before you open your
mouth and stick your size twelves in it.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Back up in Linux
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:35:44 -0400

> Jerry Wong wrote:
>
> I used to backup the windows by Ghost software. In linux, can the command "tar"
> be used like Ghost. I means to backup the whole Linux system by tar it and
> restore it when necessary. I have windows98 and two Linux system in my PC
> (Red Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0), so I can tar one of them when running the other.
>
> Is it possible? Please give me some advice.

tar is okay for groups of files, but NOT good for the entire system.

learn to use dump, and/or BRU or Arkeia.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124
> (In Chinese Big 5)