From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:41:29 -0400

Ralph Miguel Hansen wrote:

> Ray Fischer wrote:
>

> snip
> >
> > And since the basis of your "argument" is false, we can dimiss you as
> > another homophobic bigot.
> >
> snip
> >
> Homophobia = latent homosexuality

Disgust =/= phobia.

> I have homosexual friends, a wife and a beard. The only ugly thing amongst
> that three points is my beard.
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Ralph Miguel Hansen
> Using S.u.S.E. 4.3 and SuSE 7.1

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ease and convenience
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:43:23 +0200

"Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f2cne$vcg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9f1282$1jtac$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > IE isn't half the OS.  Stop exaggerating.  It is just an app... and it
> > > isn't 80MB either.
> > >
> > > Stop your whining.
> > >

> > Look - A web brower and a newsreader are 2 entirely different things and
> > users should have the option of upgrading one without being forced to
> > replace the other at the same time
>
> For the most part, I agree with you.  However, since IE/Outlook express
are
> somewhat integrated, you sort of kinda have to upgrade for the integrated
> features to work correctly.

Not quite.
You can update IE without updating OE. I'm not sure about the other way
around, though.

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:53:46 GMT

In article <9f480f$86k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, don'[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:BWfR6.4534$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9f3vh9$rpg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:RsdR6.4508$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > XP will not require huge amounts of upgrades.  It will likely
> > > P133
> > >
> > > No, it won't.
> > > It requires 233Mhz and I believe 64MB to run.
> > > 128MB is recommended.
> >
> > For the beta.  That's similar to the requirements that Windows 2000 had in
> > beta, and it was eventually reduced to a P133/32MB.  It may require a bit
> > more memory because of the new interface, but if you don't use it, it
> should
> > give similar memory requirements.
>
> Regardless of the minimum requirements, it's a pain to use Win2K on a
> machine with ~ 64MB.
> There was a list of services that are needed, and all else you can close, (I
> think it was 4 or 5 that you need to keep on going, but I lost it, anyone
> can point it out to me?) but even then, it would still take 32MB or so.
> Swapping is not fun.

For god's sake, you can buy 128MB of memory for $45.  Splurge a
little...

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 03:03:39 -0400

Rotten168 wrote:

> Dan Pidcock wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 29 May 2001 06:27:12 GMT, Rex Ballard
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >Linux uses the X11 "center button" (or two buttons down at same time)
> > >paste.  It works very well, and you can cut/paste between different
> > >applications
> > >without having to load the binaries of multiple executables for each
> > >pasted document.
> >
> > The centre button to paste selection does not always work so great.
> > If I have some text in a document that is a URL and I want to paste it
> > into the address field of my browser window, I have to select the
> > current address in the browser to delete it so that becomes the
> > selection when I try to paste.  So I have to delete it then go back to
> > the document select the browser and finally past.  A real PITA.
> >
> > How well does X selection work with images, e.g. in GIMP & xv?  I've
> > never really tried that.
> >
> > Dan
> > remove .hatespam to reply
>
> Did the geniuses who wrote X consider Trackballs of varying designs when
> they chose the 'middle button' cut & paste?? Probably not, because it's
> very unwieldy for me and my Logitech trackball.

Considering that trackballs weren't even around at that time (at least
not on PC hardware)...probably not.

So, like, why the derogatory comment on not taking into account
hardware which wasn't available at that time?

> --
> - Brent
>
> "General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
> - Darth Vader
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 31 May 2001 07:12:16 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 17:17:33 +0800,
 Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Mon, 28 May 2001 13:47:05 +0800,
>>  Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

>> > So *choose* the one with IE :)
>> Thats an oxymoron.
>
> hehe.  notice the smiley.
Opps!

>> > Seriously, my *dad* downloads stuff from the net all the time with no
>> > problem.
>> So did I when I was using Win95, back in 1996-1997, but with some
>> provisos.
>>
>> 1/ I dared not ever d/l 2 files or more at once, for fear of corruption,
>> yet this is something I do all the time now with Linux, and corruptions
>> are rare.
>
> You are comparing 9x with Linux in terms of robustness?  Even I will admit
> that Linux *hands down* wins over the 9x 'OS' group any day.
Usability is the correct word I think ?

> However, for consumer ease-of-use and functionality (that a consumer wants),
> 98se2 and ME are 'better' than Linux for that target group.
Hmm, I dunno. I maintain that a Linux box, set up for these people would
be easy to use.

>> > I see messages from *technical* people that can't figure out how to do
>> > something in Linux -- not because it is difficult, but because it is so
>> > damned unintuitive
>> Explain to me the function of the 'magnetron' in your microwave oven.
> Please
>> do not look it up, just use the intuitiveness of its name?
>
> That's my point exactly - users should *not* need to know this kind of
> stuff - they just want to *use* the microwave.
But you said 'technical people' and they need to *know* what the terms mean,
intuitive or not, and some names like 'magnetron' just do not explain
their functionality, so one must *read* relevant docs to know what a
magnetron does.

> Just like consumers want to use *applications* - they don't want to know
> that there is an OS (what's that???) actually below their apps.
I still think that what consumers want, and whats possible, are 2
different things.

>> > and hard to find related documentation.
>> Not once you know where to look. For some reason you have missed
>> http://www.linuxdoc.org/ which contains docs for every thing you
>> could ever want to know about Linux.
>
> Ok, I'm gonna try that for getting my DHCP working + sound card.
Great lets know how you go ?

> However, I feel that the help for an OS should be integrated fully with the
> OS.
Thats true, and most distos come with the how-to's, man pages, and
FAQ's on CD, but for those that don't, one must accessother means.

> W2k does this very well.
I'm glad, because I felt that the Win9x OS's did not.

>> > With Windows, there is a *central* help system for all OS related things
>> > that is *fully* text indexed for easy retrieval.
>> The Windows helpsystem is a simple thing, that fails to help anyone
>> above the level of clueless user.
>
> Well, I disagree slightly.  I feel that it helps up to intermediate users
> which covers 90% of the people using Windows these days.
You could be right:)

I know that, I suppose its a bitlike looking up www.linuxdoc.org ?

>> Paste the Windows help for 'ping' here Todd ?
>
> OK, but there are about 15 pages... i'm only pasting the first one.  I juse
> typed 'ping' in the index and got about 10 responses with lots of
> documentation.
>
> Here is the first page...
Ok you have succintly proved that point :)
<snip of copious MS ping help>

>> Remember it has to come from your system help.
>
> Yup.
:)

>> <snip>
>>
>> > HOWEVER -> I have had problems simply getting my ethernet card to WORK
> under
>> > Linux using DHCP.
>> So what, I have problems getting my ethernet card to work under Win95 and
> Win98.
>>
>> Every OS has some hardware hassles, get over it.
>
> I believe my hardware was recognized, but *configuring* Linux to get it to
> use DHCP is the hard part.
Yeah Pete Goodwin also had problems with DHCP, but many posters here
offered help, which he didnt seem interested in. I myself have never used DHCP.

> Under W2k, it just installs and works without doing *anything*, not even a
> mouse click.
>
> I was surprised by that.
I would have been too.
But where does it get the ip address range from ?

>> > Sounds easy?  Under W2k, simply PUT IN the network card and TURN ON the
>> > system.  It AUTOMATICALLY installs drivers, configures DHCP and gets you
> on
>> > the net.
>> Oh really .... puhleese!
>
> Really, it's true.  I was surprised too when it worked (when I had my cable
> modem installed... hehe)
Wonders never cease, Ms may be supplying something that actually does what
its supposed to with Win2k then ?

>> > Under Red Hat Linux 7.0 ?  My computer is still without a connection
> after
>> > numerous attempts just to find simple documention on what will probably
> be a
>> > bunch of editing files and other stuff.
>> Perhaps not, it may be a case of you using an unsupported NIC.
>
> It is a common 3Com card... works with Linux.
Hmm.

>> > Windows is *FAR* easier and more intuitive than Linux.
>> Bullshit, total and utter bullshit.
>
> Well, for most people it really is.  If you are from a UNIX background, I
> could see why your opinion is like this.
I came from a DOS and Windows background, and although I *initally* found
UNIX very wierd, I now know how much easier it is to do *real* work with
than Windows. Addmittedly I have never used anything beyond Win98, but I'm
not about to either, as Linux suits my needs.

> But you don't need to know as much to get an app. running and your system
> configured under Windows as you need to under Linux.
Many Linux distos have GUI rpm app managers that will install an app
at the click of a mouse button, and remove it as easily.

>> > I am technical and am still trying to figure out how to get BASIC stuff
>> > work in Linux.
>> Its a big world, and being 'technical' doesn't always mean you're
> proficient
>> in all areas. Your Windows experience does not help you much with Linux.
>>
>> Linux IS a whole new ball game.
>
> I'd say it is an old ball game... given that it is based off of UNIX... but
> ok :)
Your right in a way, but for a person profficient in Windows only, Linux is
is definetly a whole new ball game, even if its a UNIX clone.

>> > Ridicule me if you like, but the fact is, Linux is just too hard to make
> it
>> > worth the trouble for people that *value* their time.
>>
>> Thats an old Wintroll statement Todd, don't be expected to be taken
> seriously,
>> or even ridiculed. Most will just skim over it.
>
> That's fine... if you want to ignore why most people (that use Windows) try
> Linux and then forget about it.
Actually it doesn't bother me that some people try Linux and then forget it,
I know I did myself :)

I first tried Linux in 1993, when I purchased a Yggdrassil Linux CD.
It installed just fine, found all my stuff inc SBpro audio and CD.
However I couldnt *do* anything with it, as the UNIX paradigm was just
too strange for me, coming as I was from a Windows background.

I shelved Linux until Aug1997, when I switched to it full time, following
a Redhat4.2 install. How I wish I'd stuck with Yggdrassil now!

>> All learning is worth the time it takes.
>
> TRUE!  But, most CONSUMERS do not want to know how their computer works!!!!
Agreed, but computers require knowledge, regardless of the fact that
users don't want to know, or that Microsoft tells them, they dont 'need'
to know, because their computer will do their thinking for them.

> They just want to use the applications that run on top of it!
If only it were that simple, granted in many cases it is, but I see
Windows users all the time, who are afraid of virii, or crackers using Netbus
or similar, one even has had someone in her Windows pc, telling her he is there!

You see Windows users who don't want to know about their PC, I see Windows
users *afraid* of their pc, and very unhappy.

> For me and you, yes, I agree with your statement.
I'm not supprised, you sound like a reasonable and intelligent person!

>> My son Sam has installed Debian, Redhat, and Mandrake Linux on his own,
> without
>> my help, and hes just turned 18, and hes not 'technical'.
>
> I too have done RedHat.  But, as I said, it fails to recongize and/or
> configure my Network card and Soundblaster Live *automatically*.
Hang on, you said above that it does find your 3com card, but DHCP
requires manual intervention ?

Soundblaster live is another matter, I read here that it installs for some
and not for others, but I cant help as I have a elcheapo ESS1688 that is found
under Redhat, but not under Mandrake7.2. However running 'sndconfig' sets it
up no problem.

> I have to do something.  Why?
Perhaps your machine/card/disto just don't live happily together ?

>> He just follows installer directions. This across 2 pcs, all networked.
>
> If I had the time, I too could *probably* get my RedHat installation
> perfectly working.
I think you could, tho I personally don't like to use RedHat these days
as its layers of 'help' annoy me.

> The question for *me* is, do I want to pour a lot of time into figuring out
> how to simply get Linux up and running, when I have w2k that does all of
> that for me?
Thats a sensible question, and unless you need Linux for a tangible reason
(in my case it was apps) then perhaps Win2k may be all you need ?

> I'd rather be developing apps. or playing games.
What kind of apps ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:19:27 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f480f$86k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:BWfR6.4534$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9f3vh9$rpg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:RsdR6.4508$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > XP will not require huge amounts of upgrades.  It will likely
> > > P133
> > >
> > > No, it won't.
> > > It requires 233Mhz and I believe 64MB to run.
> > > 128MB is recommended.
> >
> > For the beta.  That's similar to the requirements that Windows 2000 had
in
> > beta, and it was eventually reduced to a P133/32MB.  It may require a
bit
> > more memory because of the new interface, but if you don't use it, it
> should
> > give similar memory requirements.
>
> Regardless of the minimum requirements, it's a pain to use Win2K on a
> machine with ~ 64MB.
> There was a list of services that are needed, and all else you can close,
(I
> think it was 4 or 5 that you need to keep on going, but I lost it, anyone
> can point it out to me?) but even then, it would still take 32MB or so.
> Swapping is not fun.

I use Win2k on my 64MB laptop just fine, in fact I develop with VC++ 6 under
Win2k on that laptop without problems.  I don't understand what your issue
is.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sorry NT...
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:20:43 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f48oa$h55$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This article was posted and commented on in here almost 3 weeks ago.
You're
> > behind the times.
>
> > Several people in the industry stated specifically that Linux was not
> > replacing NT, but was supplementing it, mostly in render farms.
>
> Apparantly you didnt read the article where it clearly said "replacing
> desktop machines".
>
> You idiot.

It may be, in a few cases, but in general it's not.  The article didn't say
it was replacing all or even most.  IIRC it said "some".

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:17 +1200

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stuart Fox wrote:
> > Or they could just get Linux and struggle to find a decent web browser,
have
> > to download a new Office suite, be unable to play many games, and
basically
> > drop their productivity, which is after all what using computers is all
> > about.
>
> Somebody's been feeding you some pabulum... you'll find all that and
> more in any linux distribution.

Last distribution I used was Slackware 7.1.  Didn't have an Office suite
included, had a crap web browser (Nutscrape).  Games were shit, and I don't
see many commercial games for Linux on the shelves.

> Of course, you will find a serious
> drop in productivity with Linux, because there are just so many
> nifty things to play with in it... screensavers, games, apps, networking,
> blah blah blah.

Well I'm obviously used to a different standard of games, I'm not talking
about the crap that X comes with (or sol.exe etc on Windows either).  As to
playing with the networking or screensavers, the Linux stuff is not
startling.  Apps - I use cygwin & Elvis on Windows so most of the *nix stuff
isn't dramatically different (alright, it's got emacs - yipee).

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:41:26 +1200

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stuart Fox wrote:
> > >
> > Which is one of the differences.  Windows makes it easy for people to do
> > things.  *nix makes it easy for people not to do things.  It also means
that
> > to use *nix effectively one has to have a higher degree of technical
savvy -
> > which also accounts for the reason that *nix based desktops are only
really
> > popular amongst the tech savvy and scientists, and the reason that
Windows
> > based desktops are so popular.
>
> Did your mother beat you with O'Reilly's "Running Linux" or slice you
> with a RedHat disk?

Running Linux is indeed on my bookshelf,  :)

So which bit of the above do you disagree with?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:55:59 +0200

"Greg Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9f480f$86k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, don'[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > Regardless of the minimum requirements, it's a pain to use Win2K on a
> > machine with ~ 64MB.
> > There was a list of services that are needed, and all else you can
close, (I
> > think it was 4 or 5 that you need to keep on going, but I lost it,
anyone
> > can point it out to me?) but even then, it would still take 32MB or so.
> > Swapping is not fun.
> >

> For god's sake, you can buy 128MB of memory for $45.  Splurge a
> little...

I'm not arguing with *this*, mind you.
I'm just pointing out that it's not... ideal to run Win2K/XP on low memory
machines.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:57:47 +0100

In article <9f3pmi$ma1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > I don't remember them, and I think I would. The fact that you're not
> > willing (or unable) to post any examples despite being asked repeatedly
> > to produce them tells me you're lying and there are none.
>
> And the fact that I posted them before only for you to ignore them tells
> me that you're a common troll.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Post them again, if they
exist, and prove me wrong. Otherwise, shut up!

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:59:38 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > I don't remember them, and I think I would. The fact that you're not
> > willing (or unable) to post any examples despite being asked repeatedly
> > to produce them tells me you're lying and there are none.
> There is another alternative Pete, one which you seem unable to
> grasp.

Oh I know what you're talking about.

How about posting the offending articles - as I have no idea what you or
Edward are talking about? Is that so hard huh? Or could it be they don't
exist - which is why they aren't being posted? Huh? Huh?

Go on! Prove me wrong!

Otherwise, you're nothing but a liar!

--
---