Chris Murphy posted on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:40:33 -0700 as excerpted:

> If you decide to backup, reformat, restore, then first I suggest
>
> btrfs-image -c 9-t 4 /dev/sdX /mnt/<pathtoanothervolume+filename>
>
> You can keep it handy in case a dev asks for it or you can attach it to
> a kernel.org bug report.

I've not actually done one of these, yet.  How big are they?  The manpage
says it's basically the metadata only (data is zeroed), so I'd guess one
could expect it to be about the size of metadata as reported by btrfs fi
df (obviously, when it could still mount if it's now unmountable), right?