On Jul 19, 2014, at 2:58 PM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:10:51 +0200
> schrieb Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de>:
>
> [...]
>> Another random idea:  the number of errors decreased the second time I ran
>> balance (from 4 to 2), I could run another full balance and see if it keeps
>> decreasing.
>
> Well, this time there were still 2 ENOSPC errors.  But I can show the df
> output
> after such an ENOSPC error, to illustrate what I meant with the sudden surge
> in total usage:
>
> # btrfs filesystem df /run/media/marcec/MARCEC_BACKUP
> Data, single: total=236.00GiB, used=229.04GiB
> System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=36.00KiB
> Metadata, DUP: total=4.00GiB, used=3.20GiB
> unknown, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00
>
> And then after running a balance and (almost) immediately cancelling:
>
> # btrfs filesystem df /run/media/marcec/MARCEC_BACKUP
> Data, single: total=230.00GiB, used=229.04GiB
> System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=36.00KiB
> Metadata, DUP: total=4.00GiB, used=3.20GiB
> unknown, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00

I think it's a bit weird. Two options: a. Keep using the file system, with
judicious backups, if a dev wants more info they'll reply to the thread; b.
Migrate the data to a new file system, first capture the file system with
btrfs-image in case a dev wants more info and you've since blown away the
filesystem, and then move it to a new btrfs fs. I'd use send/receive for this
to preserve subvolumes and snapshots.

Chris Murphy--